Dr. Robert J. Cerfolio, MD

Dr. Robert J. Cerfolio, MD

Thoracic Surgery | Male

1802 6th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

We offer the most experienced robotic thoracic surgical team in the world and optimal pt care and satisfaction

Dr. Cerfolio's Experience

100Experience
Match

See how Dr. Cerfolio's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Cerfolio

Dr. Cerfolio accepts 9 insurance carriers

9 Insurance Carriers Accepted*

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Cerfolio has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Cerfolio

Dr. Cerfolio's Review Details
4.7 based on 122 responses
Experience with Dr. Cerfolio
Dr. Cerfolio's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (114)
in Gulf Breeze, FL |
First of all I want to thank Dr. Cerfolio and his team for saving my life. I had an esophagectomy on June 1st 2016 via the Ivor Lewis robotic method. Under the skill and direction of Dr. Cerfolio I had a successful surgery and was able to go home after only 8 days. I would highly recommend Dr. Cerfolio and his team at UAB (University of Alabama Birmingham) for this type of surgery to any and all who require it.
Washington, D.C. |
His level of expertise, experience, capability and compassion are world-renowned. He teaches other from around the world on robotic surgical techniques. I would not go to anyone else.
in Bessemer, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio did my mothers surgery twelve years ago. We saw him last week and he gave her a clean bill of health. He is truly an amazing doctor and person. I will always highly recommend him to anyone who needs a thoracic surgeon.
in Pachuta, MS |
My husband,age 71, had most of his esophagus remove due to cancer and acalasia. After chemo and radiation Dr. Cerfolio and his team preformed an esophagogastrectomy with the use of robotics. Dr. Cerfolio is a very meticulous surgeon and a very caring person. My husband did his walking, stairs and breathing excercises and came home on day 7 after surgery, due to following Dr. Cerfolio instructions.We were very blessed in this past year and Dr. Cerfolio was one of our greatest blessing. God Bless!
in Tyler, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio performed the Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy procedure on my 69 yr old dad. We are very happy with everything he done and how well he explained what he was going to and how he was going to do it. My dad was a little ill with not being able to drink anything for 12 day. that was the only problem he had but over all Dr Cerfolio it a very good Dr and we would recommend him to anyone.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio performed the Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy procedure on my 73 yr old dad. It is impossible to put into words the appreciation our family has for Dr. Cerfolio and his staff. The nurses who took care of him were thoroughly trained with the recovery process for this procedure. It was a tremendous relief to our family knowing he was in good hands. Not only did they take excellent care of him, they prayed with us and for us. My father is 8 weeks post op and no longer has a feeding tube!
in Trussville, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is confindent in his field and very direct regarding what his plan is for your care. I had a large tumor that was discovered during a general exam. It was said by many physicians that it could not be removed but he evaluated the situation and was confident he could do the surgery. He and his team were great. I am 10 months recovering from the surgery and doing well. There were some struggles in the recovery but it never failed that I could reach his office at any time.
in Prattville, AL |
My Carciniod tumor was fully removed and 1 month post-op I am doing well. Because of Dr. Cerfolio's expertise, the surgery could be done robotically and less of my lung tissue had to be removed. Cerfolio reviews everything and has great staff to help him. I have already recommended him to multiple people and constantly speak his praises, because he is an expert in Carciniod tumors.
in Elmore, AL |
absolutely, i would recommend this doctor, he is pleasant ,smart caring,and a man of God, he has a great team of people working with him ,Dr.Cerfolio and his staff took very good care of me while in the UAB hospitalhe is a five star Dr.one word to sum this up ,''AWESOME''
in Dadeville, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is a brilliant and talented surgeon with a great bedside manner. He sincerely cares about his patients. My experience could not have been any better and I am grateful for the care I received from Dr. Cerfolio and his team. His staff responds quickly and it is comforting to know that they are just a phone call away. They are very efficient at sending prescriptions to my pharmacy and they patiently answer my questions. My wife and I are very pleased and thankful.
in Montgomery, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is a top notch surgeon. He was professional and very caring during the first initial doctor visit, to surgery and then the follow-up appointment. Our family was blessed to have him perform our Mom's surgery. I would highly recommend him.
in Tuscaloosa, AL |
Compassionate and caring.
in Tuscaloosa, AL |
Dr. Cerfolio is very professional and well-respected. I would highly recommend him to everyone.
in Shorter, AL |
Very thorough, excellent, very caring, answered all questions, good with my family and did everything he could to help me. Very easy to work with and listens. I would highly recommend Dr. Cerfolio.
in Ridgeland, MS |
I was referred to Dr. Cerfolio for a 2nd opinion for treatment of a carcinoid lung tumor. After my appointment, I had so many questions as I processed all of the information. He took time from his busy schedule to visit with me on the phone, and addressed all of my concerns. He truly went above and beyond in helping me through this process. I had a robotic lobectomy on 2-26-16 and feel great. I am so thankful to have connected with this amazing surgeon who genuinely cares for his patients.
in Wedowee, AL |
How fortunate I am to be a patient of this good Christian man, who happens to be an excellent thoracic surgeon. I could not have had better care at UAB Hospital, Birmingham, following the Esophagogastrectomy. I continue to receive excellent follow-up care from Amedisys Home Health care services. My family has received timely responses when questions arose and we are healing physically and mentally. This Doctor and his staff are highly respected by the nursing staff at UAB.
in Destin, FL |
Dr Cerfolio was highly recommended by other patients. I found him to be very understanding and specific about what he was going to do . He made things easy to understand. I would go back to him if my cancer returns. He is a good man who cares about his associates and patients.
in Birmingham, AL |
I will recommend highly. He was patient, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional with a great bed side manner.
in COTTONDALE AL |
I had left lower lobotomy 01/29/2016. No compliance ratio a complications. 03/03/2016 I am doing great. Began chemo 02/25/2016.
in Montgomery, AL |
The BEST Lung Cancer Specialist in the World. Very Professional. He knows his Stuff Great Bedside Manner with Patients. He answers Any and All questions openly and honestly. A strong Christian Man! He operated on my 89-year old mother. Great Results! HE IS THE BEST! Mike Montgomery, AL
in decatur,al |
excellent provider of information. Staff made referrals and prescriptions immediately. They were willing to change their schedule to meet my needs.
fantastic great guy
in Montgomery, AL |
I would not only recommend Dr Cerfolio because of his experience and great knowledge of Thoracic surgery, but also for his kindness and genuine concern for your well-being. His nursing staff I encountered during my hospital stay are phenomenal women. They are lovely people who tend to you and answer your concerns. The doctor has a humble spirit knowing God has blessed his hands for surgery and a wonderful sense of humor.
Have you seen Dr. Cerfolio?
Are you Dr. Cerfolio? Post a response on your personalized profile.

Compare Dr. Cerfolio

• Pleural Neoplasm, Not Specified as Malignant
  • Thoracic Cancer
  • Thymomas

• Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • da Vinci® Lobectomy
  • Decortication and Pleurectomy
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Esophagectomy (Esophagogastrostomy, Esophagojejunostomy)
  • Esophagomyotomy
  • Esophagomyotomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Excision of Esophageal Lesion
  • Excision of Tracheal Tumor or Stenosis
  • Head and Neck Surgery
  • Heart Surgery
  • Hernia Repair
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Laparoscopic Diaphragmatic or Paraesophageal Hernia Repair With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Lobectomy of Lung With Robotic Assistance
  • Lobectomy, Open
  • Lung Removal (Partial or Complete): Open, or Resection of Lung Tumor: Open
  • Lung Surgery
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Lymphadenectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy (MIE)
  • Nerve Block, Sympathetic
  • Thoracoscopic Wedge Resection
  • Tracheal Surgery
  • Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic (VATS) Lobectomy
  • Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS) or Thoracotomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

University Of Rochester School Of Medicine And Dentistry

Completed in 1991

Mayo Clinic Rochester

Completed in 1993

Mayo Clinic Rochester

Dr. Cerfolio has no media or publications listed.

Memberships & Affiliations

Dr. Cerfolio does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cerfolio and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Cerfolio's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Thoracic Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery and Thoracic Surgery
  • Malpractice claims in Alabama not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Cerfolio

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Cerfolio's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Cerfolio

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Cerfolio's Care Philosophy