Dr. Robert Butcher, MD

Family Medicine | Male

TPMG Denbigh Family Medicine 13347 Warwick Blvd Newport News, VA 23602 Get Directions
Dr. Robert Butcher, MD
I grew up in New England and entered the US Air Force at age 18 as a Cadet at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO. Upon graduation, I received a Health Professions Scholarship to Brown University's Program in Medicine (now called the Warren Alpert School of Medicine) in Providence, RI, and graduated with Honors in 1990. During medical school I was required to participate in various clinical clerkships in the Air Force to prepare for my career as an Air Force Physician. One clerkship I chose to do was Family Medicine at Scott Air Force Base Medical Center, in Illinois, and it ultimately inspired me to choose Family Medicine as my specialty. I loved the breadth of the speciality, and how it allowed me to take care of EVERYONE, any age, any problem. But, most of all, I appreciated the relationship that family doctors have with their patients and how that can really impact the quality of care delivered. I decided to go back to Scott Air Force Base and do my residency there in Family Medicine, becoming Chief Resident in my final 3rd year. My first assignment as a new Air Force Family Physician was Little Rock, Air Force Base in 1993. I was there for 4 years and then assigned to the 1st Medical Group, ay Langley Air Force Base, in Hampton, VA. I was brought to Langley to be the Chief of Primary Care. This was a very busy clinic, with 6 Family physicians, 3 Pediatricians, and 8 Physician Assistants. I served over 12 years on active duty as an Air Force Family Physician, rising to rank of Lieutenant Colonel, before separating in August of 2002 and starting my present position, at Denbigh Family Medicine with the Tidewater Physicians Multispecialty Group (TPMG). In 2004, I was recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, having achieved distinction in my field. I continue to better my clinical skills by maintaining my Board Certification and participating in medical education so I remain current with all of the new trends in medicine. Additionally, throughout my entire career, I have had a passion for technology, and I try hard to utilize this in my practice. My patients know how I like to communicate using the "Patient Portal". I have lived in Newport News since 1997, longer than any other location, and plan to stay here for the remainder of my career. Denbigh Family Medicine has been providing quality care to the Denbigh area of Newport News since the 1950's. I am proud to say that I have joined such a prestigious group of doctors, nurses, and staff. But the best aspect of my experience at Denbigh Family Medicine are the relationships I have developed with my patients these past 15 years, and I look forward to more.

Dr. Butcher's Experience

See how Dr. Butcher's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Butcher

Dr. Butcher accepts 11 insurance carriers

Dr. Butcher is now accepting new patients
TPMG Denbigh Family Medicine13347 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23602
(757) 877-0214Get Directions

Dr. Butcher's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Butcher to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Butcher's Performance
Newport News, VA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Butcher since he joined the TPMG Denbigh practice over 10 years ago. He has always been responsive to my needs and I trust his judgement. When I ask questions, or offer my opinion, he never belittles my question or opinion but responds with reasoned replies.
in Gloucester, VA |
I used to think Dr. Butcher was unusually good, and I've referred many people to him. However, he seems to have an ego problem lately and does not listen to what I try to tell him about my symptoms, making snap diagnoses that are off the mark. He also used to be quite the patients' advocate with tight insurance companies, and recently he seems to be just an extension of that evil HMO I have. Sadly, I feel it necessary to seek out another family practice physician (and different insurance).
Have you seen Dr. Robert Butcher, MD?
Are you Dr. Butcher?

Compare Dr. Butcher

Dr. Butcher says...

I grew up in New England and entered the US Air Force at age 18 as a Cadet at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO.  Upon graduation, I received a Health Professions Scholarship to Brown University's Program in Medicine (now called the Warren Alpert School of Medicine) in Providence, RI, and graduated with Honors in 1990.  During medical school I was required to participate in various clinical clerkships in the Air Force to prepare for my career as an Air Force Physician.  One clerkship I chose to do was Family Medicine at Scott Air Force Base Medical Center, in Illinois, and it ultimately inspired me to choose Family Medicine as my specialty.  I loved the breadth of the speciality, and how it allowed me to take care of EVERYONE, any age, any problem. But, most of all, I appreciated the relationship that family doctors have with their patients and how that can really impact the quality of care delivered.  I decided to go back to Scott Air Force Base and do my residency there in Family Medicine, becoming Chief Resident in my final 3rd year.  My first assignment as a new Air Force Family Physician was Little Rock, Air Force Base in 1993.  I was there for 4 years and then assigned to the 1st Medical Group, ay Langley Air Force Base, in Hampton, VA.  I was brought to Langley to be the Chief of Primary Care. This was a very busy clinic, with 6 Family physicians, 3 Pediatricians, and 8 Physician Assistants.  I served over 12 years on active duty as an Air Force Family Physician, rising to rank of Lieutenant Colonel, before separating in August of 2002 and starting my present position, at Denbigh Family Medicine with the Tidewater Physicians Multispecialty Group (TPMG).  In 2004, I was recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, having achieved distinction in my field. I continue to better my clinical skills by maintaining my Board Certification and participating in medical education so I remain current with all of the new trends in medicine.  Additionally, throughout my entire career, I have had a passion for technology, and I try hard to utilize this in my practice.  My patients know how I like to communicate using the "Patient Portal".  I have lived in Newport News since 1997, longer than any other location, and plan to stay here for the remainder of my career.  Denbigh Family Medicine has been providing quality care to the Denbigh area of Newport News since the 1950's.  I am proud to say that I have joined such a prestigious group of doctors, nurses, and staff.  But the best aspect of my experience at Denbigh Family Medicine are the relationships I have developed with my patients these past 15 years, and I look forward to more.

Dr. Butcher says...

Common skin surgeries to include excision and shave biopsies.  This includes the removal of cysts, unsightly moles and skin tags.

Dr. Butcher's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Family Medicine
  •  Board certified in Family Practice

Dr. Butcher has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Butcher's Board Certifications

USAF Medical Center - Scott Air Force Base, Illinois

Completed in 1993

United States Air Force Academy

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Butcher does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Butcher and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Abscess Incision and Drainage