Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Robert Boykin, MD
Dr. Robert Boykin is an orthopedic shoulder, knee and hip surgeon, and sports medicine specialist dedicated to serving the greater Asheville community. Offering both conservative and surgical approaches to joint related injuries and conditions, Dr. Boykin is able to treat patients using a combination of philosophies and approaches. His specialties include the arthroscopic and open surgical treatment of complex shoulder injuries, the use of novel techniques in treating ligament, meniscus, and chondral injuries of the knee, as well as managing debilitating hip conditions such as labral tears and femoroacetabular impingement.

75B Livingston St

Asheville, NC 28801

Learn about Dr. Boykin

Dr. Boykin's Experience

Dr. Boykin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

This content was provided by Dr. Boykin "Regardless of how complex the injury, Dr. Boykin strives to treat each and every patient with compassion and respect. With a thorough understanding that every situation and patient need is unique, he implements a tailored approach for his patients so that they can remain active and pain free. Whether you are a professional athlete, weekend warrior, or simply desire to get back to your activities to remain healthy, Dr. Boykin will help you understand the problem and present a treatment plan."

• Sports Medicine

• Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Injuries
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Meniscectomy
  • Neuroplasty
  • Osteotomy
  • Partial Shoulder Replacement
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Sports Physical Examination
  • Tommy John Surgery
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill
  • Alps Shoulder Surgery Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013
  • The Steadman Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Boykin has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Boykin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Boykin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Boykin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Boykin to family and friends
Dr. Boykin's Performance
in hendersonville, nc |
Dr. Boykin and his PA and nurse were especially cautious and caring and friendly. They gave individualized custom treatment for our particular circumstances and difficult case. We can’t thank them enough for their wonderful skills, knowledge and care.
in asheville, nc |
Dr. Boykin and his staff are amazing. I came in with a somewhat complicated shoulder injury. They worked me into the schedule and fixed me right up. The shoulder is good as new. His attention to detail is impressive. One can tell that the detail is what intrigues him. He always wants to get it right and in my case, certainly did,
in Statesville, nc |
I needed surgery for a labral tear in my right hip. Dr. Boykin, his staff, and the surgery center of Asheville were very professional! My post-surgery pain was very minimal; and my recovery is going well. I am now 14 weeks out and getting stronger every day. Additionally, I never felt rushed while talking to Dr. Boykin or Chris, as I was seeking advice before and after the surgery. I would recommend Dr. Boykin to anyone!!!
in Fairview, NC |
Dr. Boykin's skill as an orthopedic surgeon has given my shoulder a second life. I had waited very long before having shoulder replacement. My delay left very little normal architecture in my shoulder joint, making this shoulder very complicated to perform a total shoulder replacement on. Dr. Boykin took the challenge, and my new shoulder is wonderful. Dr. Boykin is the go-to shoulder specialist in the Western Carolinas. I feel so very fortunate to have him in "my back yard".
in Burnsville, NC |
Dr. Boykin is thorough, thoughtful, and friendly. He took the time to answer my questions when I first went to him, gathered information about my problem, and recommended solutions. I eventually chose surgery to reattach some muscles torn loose in my shoulder, and he carefully repaired the damage I had done over the years. My arm moves better and is stronger than it has been in a long while. His staff is great too. They are all knowledgeable and engaged and helpful. Thanks to all of them!
in waynesville, nc |
Highly recommend Dr. Boykin, he's knowledgeable, experienced, cautious, kind, thorough, listens; everything you would want in a orthopedists. Only negative is it's always cold there, so take a sweater.
in weaverville, nc |
Dr. Boykin is an amazing doctor. He treated my son with the utmost care. He made sure that my son understand the importance of not doing anything that would re-injure his elbow. He was always available to answer any questions that I had even when it wasn't during an appointment. In the future I will not go to anyone else for orthopedic needs.
asheville, nc |
I had a broken arm and he was great in giving treatment options right after my accident. Followed his instructions and my arm has healed completely now. He and his staff treated me with respect and thoughtfulness during my ordeal.
in Marshall NC |
I would highly recommend his services to anyone needing a complete ACL reconstruction. My reconstruction went great. I never had to worry about being able to contact him or his staff at any time. I could not have asked for better care!
in asheville, nc |
Fabulous caring doctor with great bedside manor and excellent results. Highly recommend him for rotator cuff surgery. Professional and efficient team.
asheville, nc |
Straight talk about my specific injury provided me with the best options for recovery. His knowledge and treatment options were concise and well prescribed, and the recommended physical therapy is working to resolve my medical issues.
in Candler, NC |
A MRI revealed severe tears to 2 1/2 tendons in my rotator cuff. I met with Dr. Boykin, who explained clearly the surgery and post surgical therapy required and was very helpful alleviating my concerns and fears. The surgery and therapy afterwards went extremely well. Five months later I have full use of my shoulder with no pain. I credit this to Dr. Boykin's surgical skills and following the physical therapy afterwards to the letter. I also want to thank Dr. Boykin's very competent staff.
in asheville, nc |
My experience with Dr.Boykin from the first exam thru surgery and PE, was perfect. I could not be more pleased with the entire process. The rotator cuff surgery turned out to be more than was expected and was totally successful. The range of motion is back to normal, and NO PAIN!
hendersonville, nc |
Dr. Boykin was a good listener. He explained procedures thoroughly and answered all of our questions. He gave us an honest assessment of expectations for my daughter's knee surgery. After being injured four years ago, we saw NINE different Doctors seeking help in relieving her pain. Dr. Boykin performed Orthoscopic surgery removing scar tissue, performing a partial lateral release and repairing a tear in the meniscus. He is very caring and kind and because of him my daughter is active again
black mountain, nc |
Because of Dr Boykin's competent shoulder replacement surgery and post operative care, I regained 100% use of my arm, which previously exhibited degenerative arthritis. I now enjoy pain free use of my arm!
in Sylva |
Dr Boykin was very knowledgeable and answered all of my questions.
in Auburndale, FL |
He is very personable, courteous and helpful. I had a massive rotator cuff tear and he was able to re-attach the muscle and tendons very efficiently as after only 5 months my range of motion is very good and strength is returning quickly. Any shoulder problem or any other area of complaint in his area of expertise I would make the drive from Auburndale,Fl to Asheville NC for his expertise as I did for the rotator cuff repair. The office staff was also very pleasant and efficient.
in Sylva N.C. |
Dr.Boykin performed my shoulder replacement recently.From start to finish this surgery was the easiest and most positive experience I have ever had.I would highly recommend Dr,Boykin to anyone having surgery.Dr. Boykin is very caring and easy to talk to. DR. Boykin's staff are friendly and see you in a timely fashion. Janice Lane
in asheville, nc |
Dr. Boykin did an excellent job repairing my torn ACL. I appreciated his professionalism and accessibility.
in Sumter, SC |
The most knowledgeable Dr I have ever been to... Great bedside manner. Very professional and definitely gave me the correct diagnosis and treatment!
in Fletcher NC |
I saw Dr Boykin on 6/29/16 he diagnosed my problem and he and his staff went right to work. They got my surgery scheduled on Friday 7/1/16 if not I would have had to wait until at least till 7/5/16. The surgery went well and after what seemed like a long recovery I am on the way to full recovery. I want to thank him and Katie for their expert care and kindness.
in waynesville, nc |
Had torn rotor cuff surgery in May. Also had arthritis and torn bicep. Two weeks after surgery, started PT. Three months after surgery, swimming in the ocean and lifting 37 pound grandson over my head for slam dunks. . Couldn't ask for a faster recovery or a better surgeon.
in Asheville |
Dr. Boykin has a record of successful surgeries; people who knew I was going to have knee surgery spontaneously offered their high opinion of his skills. Although it's only been 8 weeks since my meniscus cleanup, I am pain free, had an easy recovery, and am back to doing all normal daily activities. My ability to dance, hike and do yoga appears to be restored. Dr. Boykin was always friendly, courteous, thorough, kind, and a good listener every time I saw him, before and after surgery.
in Asheville, NC |
Funny...When I told all my soccer playing friends that Dr. Boykin was my surgeon for an ACL reconstruction nobody knew his name. I did some research and found out he worked with professional athletes on the National Ski Team. That was all I needed. I'm happy to report that my knee is coming along faster than I ever imagined, and I owe that to Dr. Boykin. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend him to anybody unlucky enough to rupture their ACL.
in Nebo, NC |
He had about as much time and respect for me as he would have had to a fly . I did not understand this, but I will never go back to this practice, nor would I recommend it to anyone I know. Boooooo
in Black Mountain, NC |
I would highly recommend Dr. Boykin. The facilities are easy to find, the staff is knowledgable and professional, and Dr Boykin maintained contact throughout and, communicated in a manner that was easily understandable and reassuring. My shoulder pain is now a thing of the past and I'm back to climbing and throwing a baseball with my son. I cannot thank Blue Ridge Bone and Joint enough, it was a great experience, and I would highly recommend this Dr and his staff.
in Sumter, SC |
The best orthopedist I have ever been to....more knowledgeable about the newest techniques. Great bedside manner and a caring Doctor!
in Horse Shoe, NC |
Dr. Boykin has preformed surgery on three of our family members and all have had excellent results. For myself he recommended physical therapy, which worked well. He is the type of doctor that doesn't opt for surgery unless necessary. We would highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Boykin, MD?
Are you Dr. Boykin?