Dr. Robert Boykin, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 41

Telehealth services available

EmergeOrtho

75b Livingston St Asheville, NC 28801

Dr. Robert Boykin, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Asheville, NC and has over 15 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Boykin has more experience with Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Vanderbilt School of Medicine medical school in 2006. He is affiliated with medical facilities AdventHealth Hendersonville and Mission Hospital. He has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Boykin to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Boykin is affiliated with AdventHealth Hendersonville Hendersonville, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Boykin

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Boykin treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Boykin treats other conditions, please contact the office at (828) 258-8800.

Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery

Shoulder and upper arm conditions include arthritis, bursitis, rotator cuff injuries, and dislocations, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery specialists.

Dr. Boykin is experienced in the area of Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 22 conditions and procedures

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Avascular Necrosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Knee Arthroscopy
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Meniscus Surgery
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Unicompartmental Hip Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Boykin accepts

Dr. Boykin accepts the following insurance:

Blue Card
Blue Cross

Dr. Boykin's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Boykin

96.73202614379085%

Dr. Boykin
My son broke his shoulder, tore rotator cuff and laberal (sp?) Dr. Boykin was his surgeon and we couldn't have been happier. He was very knowledgeable and explained everything in depth. His bedside manner is warm and caring. The surgery was a success and his post-op care was very thorough. I complement him on his superb work and he was very humble and not cocky like many doctors can be. We would highly recommend Dr.Boykin!
B. Wolfe – Aug 05, 2021
I received excellent advice and care from Dr. Boykin. He and his staff are very patient-oriented and Dr. Boykin is extremely knowledgeable in his field. I did not have to have surgery and with PT, I experienced smooth healing of my broken arm in a timely fashion. I highly recommend Dr. Boykin for shoulder-related injuries.
Frederic Hebert – Jun 11, 2021
I have struggled and suffered with chronic left shoulder pain for 10 years. That’s almost half of my life. I’d seen another doctor for it but was told there’s nothing wrong other than some bone Spurs. It’s amazing how one person, or in my case, two, can literally change your life. I knew the first time I met him and his PA Chris, that they’d be able to help me. They did surgery and cleaned up everything and fixed what my problem was. I am no longer in pain and continuing with my physical therapy. I can’t thank them enough for changing my life and making me feel better. This is something I have lived with for years and it’s such a relief now that it is fixed. Their facility, Blue Ridge Bone and Joint, has the nicest staff ever and I am so thankful that I was referred to them!
Alyssa Cable – Jun 08, 2021
This was a follow-up for shoulder reversal replacement surgery of 3 1/2 years ago. Dr. Boykin did an amazing job repairing my very messed up shoulder as a result of a fall. He did a wonderful job explaining what the surgery would entail and what to expect following surgery. My recovery and regained use of my shoulder has been exceptional. Dr. Boykin is very knowledgeable, competent, and compassionate. I was not familiar with him prior to this surgery but feel extremely blessed that he was my surgeon. I have recommended him to many people and will certainly continue to do so. He has a wonderful PA, Chris, also. I am very fortunate to have had such a great surgeon.
Jennifer c Smith – Jun 01, 2021
Dr. Boykin saw me for shoulder pain over a period of about a year. He diagnosed what needed to be done in a very methodical manner, and we came to the conclusion that I needed surgery to repair a torn bicep and removal of bone spurs. The surgery went well as did the physical therapy. Dr. Boykin would not release me until he felt sure that I was ready to resume normal activities. He is an excellent service provider and a fine man. I recommend him without reservation.
David N. – May 25, 2021
Dr. Boykin and his team are amazing! Complete overhaul on my shoulder and healing has progressed ahead of schedule. Starting to work better than my “good” shoulder does! Cannot give a higher recommendation.
May 13, 2021
Arthroscopic meniscus surgery repair 2021. I am a tennis player. Dr. Robert Boykin is the very best. We are so fortunate to have he and his excellent staff in Asheville NC. From first visit through final post-op review......excellent experience. Thank you Dr. Boykin and EmergeOrtho staff.
A. Michael Edwards – Mar 20, 2021
I was petrified about having my right shoulder replaced.I was 70 and COVID was looming. Dr. Boykin calmed me, explained every step and it was like a walk in the park. I had meds for pain and was never uncomfortable. I started physical therapy and still do it at home every other day and only wish I had had it replaced sooner! Follow up is positive and I would do it all over again.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Beverly Clement – Mar 19, 2021
Due to numerous sports-related injuries over the past 10 years, I've been treated by several different orthopedic specialists and have undergone two prior surgeries. In my experience, Dr. Boykin is extremely knowledgeable and professional. His care prior to, during, and following my labral tear surgery were excellent.
Annie – Feb 23, 2021
Very clear about what needed to be done what to expect afterwards. Pre- surgery he had a great beside manner explained the operation and followed up next day. Recovery has been more of the same with clear explanation on what to do and what to expect.
Ed Hannibal – Feb 23, 2021
Dr.Boykin was very professional and thorough about the surgery, what to expect both pre-op and post-op. Answered all questions and concerns. Involved in the post-op physical therapy care. Nurses and staff were great. My only negative comment would be that after my surgery I had a 90 day window in which I wasn't supposed to be charged for a copayment according to the office staff. I was charged a copayment my first visit after my surgery, then my second visit I wasn't charged, then on my third visit I was charged a copayment. I shouldn't have been charged the first visit being it was within the 90 days after surgery. Instead of giving me a credit for the first copayment and applying it to the third visit I was told that I would have to call the billing department. It's not my fault that this happened, why should I have to fix the problem, that should have been done by the doctors office not me. So, I'm out a copayment charge. Other than this problem, everything else went flawless.
Pete Messina – Feb 17, 2021
Dr. Boykin operated on my shoulder. I had postponed the surgery for a long time and, therefore, the operation was very complicated. Dr. Boykin did an excellent job and my shoulder is now in perfect shape.
Tony Russell – Feb 17, 2021
I would definitely recommend Dr. Boykin for shoulder replacement surgery. He is kind and compassionate and communicates easily. His staff has always treated me with respect and my stay after surgery at the hospital was good as well. My shoulder is great now thanks to him and physical therapy.
Pamela L – Jan 19, 2021
Thank you for the kind words, Pamela. We're glad...Read More
My appointments were on time with minimal waiting if any. The reception desk employees were professional, polite and knowledgeable of their jobs. Dr. Boykin, Chris, assistants, and technicians were always knowledgeable and ready to answer my questions and giving care instructions. I never left with any unanswered questions.
John Denton – Jan 12, 2021
Highly recommend. Great doctor!
Dec 31, 2020
Dr. Boykin's Reply –
Thank you for your review! Stay well.
I was refereed to Dr. Boykin by my workmen compensation case manager. It was the luck of the draw that I was assigned to him. That said I feel I was dealt the best draw I could have received. He was informative, through and professional. I don't think I could have received any better care than what I received from him. My recovery from the surgery has gone 100 times better than I expected it would. I'd highly recommend him to anyone needing his specialty.
Roger Turk – Dec 18, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing this with us,...Read More
I had right shoulder pain for a number of years. Dr. Boykin was recommended to me at Blue Ridge Bone and Joint. He performed a complete set of diagnostic evaluations to know exactly how to correct my shoulder issue. He and his assistant Chris Braun explained everything thoroughly, and the surgery came off flawlessly. I had very little post-surgical pain and my shoulder feels like new. I would highly recommend Dr.Boykin.
Dec 13, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to share this...Read More
I had a completely severed rotator cuff and Dr Boykin did my surgery and was able to repair my tear. My tear was severe and I am very grateful for the great care that I received from Dr Boykin, his staff, and his physical therapy team. I had to do my part too by working at physical therapy and at home to do my exercises daily and to protect myself from re-injury while my surgery healed. It is looking like I will be able to play tennis again in just a few months. I received great care!
John Guinn – Dec 10, 2020
Thank you for sharing your story with us,...Read More
Dr. Boykin is an extremely competent and personal surgeon. He did a complete reverse shoulder replacement in March of 2019. I have excellent use of my shoulder 18 months later. I would give him high recommendations.
Barb Stein – Nov 07, 2020
Dr. Boykin did my first shoulder replacement two years ago. It went very well; I am very pleased. He has kept close check on my progress to make sure no complications have arisen. Now my other shoulder is hurting. He has taken ex-rays to assess damage. He has given shots in the shoulder to relieve pain, and, as always, he is closely monitoring the deterioration of the bone. He listened to my feelings about dreading the second surgery, and he reassured me that he will continue to monitor and evaluate the bone's progress. I feel very comfortable and assured when he gives his opinions about the surgery; and when he says it's time, I will have the surgery. He is an excellent surgeon. He explains everything about the surgery previous to the date, and answers all my questions til I am fully satisfied. I have utmost confidence in him and his abilities.
Ken Henke – Aug 17, 2020

How was your experience with Dr. Boykin?

Dr. Robert Boykin is an orthopedic surgeon at EmergeOrtho, Blue Ridge Bone Division in Asheville, NC. As a fellowship trained sports medicine and shoulder...Read more

Dr. Robert Boykin is a fellowship trained, board certified orthopedic shoulder, arthroscopic knee and hip surgeon, and sports medicine specialist .

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine