Family Medicine  |
Dr. Robert Blackwood, MD
Dr. Robert Blackwood (Family Medical Doctor) received his medical degree and Board Certification in 1984. In the thirty years since then he's dedicated his life entirely to family and medicine. As a father of ten children, with his wife, Catherine, he has a deep appreciation of the challenges families face; he understands how health issues affect relationships, and how to cope with them. As a doctor, he has a comprehensive medical knowledge, and an uncommon breadth of medical skills, having worked in both rural and urban environments, and in Family Medicine, Emergency, and Obstetrics. Although Dr. Blackwood is known for his keen mind and extensive experience as a physician, he is most sought after for his compassionate manner and care for all of his patients.

1201 Lake James Dr Ste 200

Virginia Beach, VA 23464

• AvMed
  • CoreSource
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • HealthSmart

Learn about Dr. Blackwood

A Medical Home

A medical home is a place that provides you with personalized, comprehensive, coordinated, and continuous medical care. Your medical health involves a lot of factors — from prevention  and wellness to illness and treatment, from surgery and recovery, to specialist referrals, medication, and much, much more. A medical home coordinates all your health needs — whether acute, chronic, or preventive — so that you can trust that you are getting the care you need when you need it.

The key features of a medical home are:

• Personal physician. Each patient has an ongoing relationship with a personal physician who is trained to provide first contact, continuous, and comprehensive care.
  • Physician directed medical practice. The personal physician leads a team of individuals at the practice level who collectively take responsibility for the ongoing care of patients.
  • Whole person orientation. The personal physician is responsible for providing for all the patient's health care needs or taking responsibility for appropriately arranging care with other qualified professionals.
  • Care is coordinated and/or integrated. For example, across specialists, hospitals, home health agencies, and nursing homes.
  • Annual Health Exam. all patients receive complete physical exam once every year.

Dr. Blackwood's Experience

Dr. Blackwood's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Family Medicine

• Family Practice
    Accredited by: American Board of Family Medicine*

• Allergies
  • Asthma
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Depression
  • Influenza (Flu)
  • Injuries
  • Menopause
  • Pneumonia
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Strep Throat

• Vaccination
  • Wart Removal
  • Well Baby Care
  • Wellness Examination

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University Of Calgary / Faculty Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1981
  • Misercordia Hosp
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1984

Dr. Blackwood has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Blackwood does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Blackwood and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Blackwood's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Blackwood to family and friends
3.2
Dr. Blackwood's Performance
    GOOD
    GOOD
Virginia Beach,Virginia |
Dr. Blackwood's practice is a joke. Most of the staff are friendly but Dr. Blackwood himself is very quick .he rushes through the appointment. He my average appointment is about five minutes long . That's how much time he spends with his patients. After waiting more than an hour. They are quick to get you in and take your copay though.My insurance company was billed for services that were not performed.When I called to discuss this , I was asked not to come back . Not that I would . Crooks.
Norfolk, VA |
I have referred several family members to Dr.Blackwood and will continue to do so. He is a very caring physician who takes his time to listen, and asks questions without assuming he "knows it all". Even thought I often have to wait for my appointments, I do not mind, as I know he is talking with someone else who needs this type of attention. I know my turn will come, and I will not be rushed out, but he will take his time to address all of my concerns.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Would gladly, and have recommended other to switch to Dr B. He has been our family doctor for over 20 years an counting.
in Chesapeake, VA |
I've gone to Dr. Blackwood for 8 years now, since I was in my mid-late 20's, now I'm in my 30's and my two young children go to him as well. He is very intelligent, very knowledgable, very compassionate, and very thorough. He has never rushed me or been rude but always warm and welcoming of me an my family and my one million health questions every time I see him. The nurses there are very kind and compassionate. Nurse Suzy (sp?) is awesome! I love her! This is a great family medical practice!
Virginia Beach, VA |
To have blood drawn you wait 30-45 minutes. That has occurred more than once. They either need to have an extra person or review the person drawing labs. Very poor service.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Doctor Blackwood never rushes me, takes time to listen, always! I like how most of the time my upfront co-pay is what my insurance tells me in my EOB.
in Virginia beach |
I've always been pleased with the service offered by the providers there, both MD and NP. The office staff though is another matter. I often have difficulties with prescriptions. It takes multiple phone calls to the office to resolve. I've had double prescriptions and medication ordered in incorrect and unavailable doses. Each time I have an interaction with the office, something goes wrong. But it's never the same issue twice. I'd leave in a heartbeat if I did not like the Drs. Nothing is easy
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Blackwood and the other physicians and PAs there are good. The people working the office are incompetent. It took me 4 days to get my prescription because they kept messing it up. Then, after waiting on hold for 20 min, they told me they would fix it right away and then never did anything about it. This happened 5 times! There is no excuse for that.
in Virginia beach, VA |
I developed severe pain in my back causing severe pain i couldn't walk! After Months I go to a spine Doctor and him requesting an MRI of my back. I got the results from that Doctor. 3 slipped discand one on a nerve. DR. Blackwood has made me feel like nothing but an addict looking for a fix!! I have pretty much lost my life when this back pain started. All I want is my back to feel better and my life back! I can't believe the way I've been treated after 4 years with this Doctor! I'm horrified!
in Norfolk, VA |
I'm 28 and have been going here since middle school. Have gone in for every problem under the sun. While the level of satisfaction with with receptionist may waver from time to time, the doctors, PAs, nurses, and NPs on staff are always the most sincere, genuine, wonderful people. Never feel rushed or have them roll their eyes, scoff, etc. I've even been with my mother who has dementia and they make her feel so comfortable and at ease, listening to everything. Love love love this place.
Have you seen Dr. Robert Blackwood, MD?
Are you Dr. Blackwood?

Visit Dr. Blackwood

Dr. Blackwood accepts 21 insurance carriers
    KeyCare PPO
  • AvMed
  • CoreSource
    Medicare Advantage PFFS
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • HealthSmart
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Optima Health