Bariatric Surgery  |
Dr. Rob Schuster, MD
PGA Surgical Specialists at St. Luke's Medical Center and Mountain Vista Medical Center Certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American College of Surgeons, Rob F. Schuster, MD, FACS, is a bariatric and general surgeon for the Bridges Center for Surgical Weight Management. Dr. Schuster has been a Center of Excellence surgeon since 2006 at Stanford University, where he trained as a bariatric surgeon. Since arriving in the Valley in 2006, Dr. Schuster has been consistently recognized as a Top Doc in Phoenix Magazine and was a former Chief of Surgery and Chief of Staff at his previous hospitals. He specializes in general and bariatric surgery including Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, duodenal switch, adjustable gastric band, complex endoscopy, bariatric revisions and a wide breadth of general surgery.

PGA Surgical Specialists

• CoreSource
  • Golden Rule

Learn about Dr. Schuster

Dr. Schuster's Experience

Dr. Schuster's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Bariatric Surgery

• Breast Cancer
  • Breast Lump
  • Carcinoma in Situ
  • Cholecystitis and Gallstones
  • Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Hidradenitis
  • Hyperparathyroidism
  • Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
  • Incisional Hernia
  • Varicose Veins
  • Ventral Hernia

• Adrenalectomy
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Biopsy of Breast
  • Breast Reconstruction
  • Colectomy
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Hepatectomy
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Revision Gastric Restrictive Procedure
  • Thyroidectomy or Thyroid Lobectomy
  • Tracheal Surgery
  • Transendoscopic Stent Placement
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

1 Sanction
  • Unprofessional Conduct (8/6/2015)
    Action Taken: Reprimand
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Arizona

• Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Stanford Hospitals and Clinics
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Schuster has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Schuster has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Schuster does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Schuster and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Schuster's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Schuster to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Schuster's Performance
in Glendale, AZ |
Dr. Schuster was highly knowledgeable and attentive to my problem. He was quick to decide what to do with my health issue. He performed a surgery and since then I have improved dramatically and I am so delighted how I feel. I wish I would have found him years ago. I highly recommend Dr Schuster.
in Casa Grande, AZ |
I would recommend Dr. Schuster to anyone considering weight loss surgery. He and his staff are not only experienced, but kind and caring.
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr.Schuster is very compassionate, understanding, has a great bedside manner. He never hesitates to answer all my questions. I would highly recommend him to any of my family and friends. Also, the Bridges Center AZ is excellent with education, classes, and the patient advocates.
in Glendale, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is a fantastic surgeon. I had a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in 2016, which has been a huge success. He genuinely listened to my concerns, provided clear explanations when I didn't understand something, and he helped me to get the right medications for pain management when the initial ones I was given post-surgery weren't working. I had no complications or infections, minimal scarring, off pain meds, and the surgery is working exactly as expected. Schuster gave me a new start!
in Sun City, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is a good listner, knowledgable & caring. After a failed VSG in 2012 by another dr. I requested a DS surgery. He agreed that already having the sleeve a DS would work well. The surgery went well, only complication was he found my pyloric valve had become ischemic. He needed to remove it in order to get a good DS connection and avoid a higher risk of a leak. He felt confident about removing it and was not worried about it. I feel fine & I'm losing weight !! Thank You Dr. Schuster
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Scheduling an appointment was no problem . The office was very clean and staff were very courteous and friendly. My wait time was under 15 minutes and I also waited less than 10 minutes in the exam room. I trust Dr. Schuster's decisions because he included me in those decisions. Dr. Schuster explained my medical condition in detail. He also listened to all my concerns and addressed them. I would recommend Dr. Schuster to anyone needing surgery. He is detailed, kind and very knowledgeable.
Casa Grande, AZ |
I have had other weight loss surgery, the first one blotched and the second one didn't work. I was not sure Dr. Schuster could help. He was patient and explained each step of the surgery that very few will do. It has been a success! I have been slowly dropping the weight, and my other health issues are disappearing. Dr. Schuster, Bridges, and his office have been fantastic. They never treat you as a failure, but as a human that just needs help.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Schuster literally saved my life I had the gastric bypass in 2004 and had nothing but complications since then. This last October it got bad and he was able to figure things out and gave my life back to me!!! Anyone who sees him is in good hands!
in Litchfield Park, AZ |
I had a lap band removed by Dr. Schuster. My band was put in 6 years ago by a different Physician. The band caused me a lot of problems and I wanted it removed. He impressed me with his excellent bed side manner and he LISTENED to my concerns. I have not vomited since my surgery, which had become a daily routine for me. After only three weeks I am now released , free of pain and vomiting, and feeling great! I truly believe Dr. Schuster is a very skilled surgeon, and a good man.
in phoenix, AZ |
I would recommend Dr. Schuster to anyone who asked. He listens and really cares.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Schuster is a great down to earth doctor with great bed side manners. He listens well and values his patients .
in Phoenix, AZ |
I was in and out of the hospital in less than 24 hours, I had the sleeve done. There was no pain involved. Dr. Shuster is an awesome surgeon.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is an amazing physician that made me feel very comfortable about my decision to have Gastric Sleeve surgery while also keeping me informed about the risks and the changes I would go through. He has answered any question I had and has worked to help me be successful. My incisions are so small you can barely see them and a week after surgery I was back at work with little to no pain. I can't express how happy I am with the office and doctor.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is so caring and has a great bedside manner. Always making me comfortable in every visit. I was shocked he remembered me. I ran into him in the lobby on my way to his office, he asked me "are you coming to see me?" he didn't know my name, but recognized me as his patient (even after losing 100 lbs). Would strongly recommend him.
in Mesa, AZ |
Since 2009 Dr. Schuster has performed four major surgeries on me all without any complications. I only trust him to do any major surgeries on me. I have referred him to friends requiring surgery knowing they will get the same kind, compassionate and professional care that I received. I always knew what to expect, good or bad. It is nice to have him back in the east valley.
in Prescott Valley, AZ |
Dr. Schuster did my Gastric Sleeve surgery... perfect job, Quick recovery, and unlike most dr's (in my opinion) he is extremely easy to talk to. wish there was 10 stars. I HIGHLY recommend him.
in Peoria, AZ |
He,s best dr I've ever had Dr Schuster has done many different surgerys on me from over 5years now I trust with my life I left the state for two years and I'm back and I will only see him cause I think he takes his time and xexplains everything that u need done and he has a good bedside manner he also did surgery on my sister who lives in Fla and wants to come back to him where he can fix her too
Mesa, AZ |
My complaint is to the general level of care received by Dr. Schuster since my bariatric surgery of July 13, 2016. My general impression of Dr. Schuster is that of arrogance and lack of concern with regards to my health/feelings. Since my surgery I have experienced complications which have caused pain and discomfort but, in my opinion he has shown little interest in finding the cause. I am unable to call his office directly and must deal with “Bridges" lack of organization.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Meeting him in the ER and being told I need my appendix out immediately was kind of hard and scary to hear, but his bed side manner was out of this world and he is the sweetest and most compassionate Dr I have met in years, and I have had many surgeries and egotistical drs, so to finally have a,Dr who has bed side manner, who takes his time to listen you your concerns and needs is amazing. I feel lucky to have had him perform my surgery and now I am back for another abdominal surgery at his hand
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Schuster is far and away one of the best doctors I have ever met and nothing I can say really does justice to the man, he is present during your appointment, he is a highly intelligent, compassionate and caring person ,and a truly outstanding doctor. I count myself truly lucky to have found him. He is non judgemental and very easy to talk to. If your considering weight loss surgery I highly recommend Dr Schuster and will go back to him for any future procedures.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is a wonderful surgeon. His concern for my situation was genuine and heartfelt, and he has the ability to make me feel as though I am his only patient while in his care.
in Phoenix, Az |
I've met with 2 surgeon's 1st @ wiaz, the other @ true results, and they BOTH spent about 2 mins with me and didnt even make eye contact. I almost had my lapband surgery with true results until i met Dr Rob Schuster who by the way sat with me for about 40 mins. He asked me alot of questions, he wanted to know my concerns and questions. At that moment i decited i wanted this Dr to operate on me. I cancelled with true results. My surgery went very well he checked on me while i was recovering.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Schuster is the best MD I have seen. He listens to your concerns and explains everything so you know what to expect. Great bedside manner and sense of humor. I highly recommend him to anyone!!
in Mesa, AZ |
I met Dr. Schuster through the ER at Mountain Vista Medical Center. I needed emergency surgery shortly after arriving at the ER. Dr. Schuster was very clear & considerate in explaining everything that was happening & why I needed surgery right away. He checked on me everyday in the hospital but went above & beyond just checking in to see how I was doing in my recovery. He spend time with me going over every question & concern I had and was very communicative with my other doctors. A+ doc!
Apache Junction, AZ |
After having to deal with the anxiety of a breast cancer diagnosis, Dr. Schuster was very straightforward and honest with what I would be dealing with. He spent time talking me through my questions and putting me at ease with his honesty.
in Mesa, AZ |
I followed Dr. Schuster from one medical office to another to ensure he was my surgeon. He is personally a really nice guy and has a great bedside manner (not common among surgeons!). He is thorough, supportive, explains things well, and actually listens. The surgery process is GREAT. It's very well laid out, makes sense, and the patient advocates help you through every step/question/concern. I can't imagine trusting my care to anyone else. Would give more than 5 stars if possible!
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Dr. Schuster makes sure you understand everything that is involved in your decision for weight loss surgery. I had an extensive amount of tests ran before surgery. However, when Dr. Schuster went to do gastric bypass, he discovered I had Congenital Intestinal Malrotation. My organs were all backwards. I'm sure that wasn't fun to find. He ended up doing the gastric sleeve and took my appendix as a precaution. He probably saved my life twice that day, I would highly recommend Dr. Schuster.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Got me in for an appointment the same day and was able to perform the necessary surgery a week later. Great bedside manner and sense of humor.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr Schuster did my gastric bypass in August of 2013 and everything went well until a year ago. The Barriatic Center he was at did nothing to help me as I was Schuster's patient. In January 2016 my insurance changed and I was able to see him and he immediately took care of me. Dr Schuster is my life saver not once but twice. Thank you for caring about your patients no matter where you are at. I would highly recommend Dr Schuster.
in Avondale, AZ |
Dr. Schuster performed gastric sleeve surgery on me on 11/11/15. Everything went very smoothly and I have had no complications. He worked with me because my insurance didn't cover the surgery. I had a great experience with him and his office.
in Tempe at |
I was just there yesterday and had a surgery done for disimpaction. Dr schuster is the BEST doctor I have ever had. I recommend him to anyone. He is very caring and sympathetic. He basically saved my life. He listens to me and makes me comfortable. I love him and what he does ! Thanks doc I appreciate you very much !
in Maricopa, AZ |
I totally enjoyed being treated by Dr Schuster. He always listened to me and I felt totally comfortable with him. I would recommend him to anyone and I will see him again in the future when the need arises
Have you seen Dr. Rob Schuster, MD?
Are you Dr. Schuster?

Cofinity PPO
  • Community Health Choice
  • CoreSource
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA