Dr. Ritu Varma, MD

Dr. Varma
Telehealth services available

Dominion Spine and Pain

6355 Walker Ln Ste 510 Alexandria, VA 22310

Dr. Ritu Varma, MD is a Pain Medicine Anesthesiology Specialist in Alexandria, VA. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Varma to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Anesthesiology Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check if Dr. Varma treats your condition or procedure

• Spondylosis
  • Thoracic Disc Disorders
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Varma accepts

Dr. Varma accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard Basic) PPO

Dr. Varma's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Varma

7.547169811320755%

Dr. Varma?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (39)
  • Listened & answered questions (38)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (37)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (5)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (4)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (4)
I would certainly refer my family and friends or anyone else who needs relief to Dr. Varma. When I first met Dr. Varma I was in severe pain and there was no relief in sight. Prior to my visit with her, I had been to physical therapy, acupuncture and tried various pain relief options and nothing would work. Dr. Varma assured me that she could help bring some relief to my lower back and she did. Dr. Varma was my pain relief angel and I'm forever grateful that I am no longer in pain as I was these past few years. I trust Dr. Varma and her team and I would recommend her to everyone I know. Thank you Dr. Varma for my holiday gift of no pain??
Sherita B – Dec 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Pain management is a tricky business, I am sure. After a few failed attempts with doctors who would not listen or read the charts before diagnosing, I was overjoyed to find Dr. Varma. She listens, acknowledges my concerns, and sets the course for treatment. As we have proceeded through treatment, my quality of life has improved significantly. An absolute life-changer, Dr Varma is the doctor you are looking for. (I note also that Dr. Varma’s assistant (Jessica) is every bit as pleasant and professional as the doctor herself- a real bonus!)
Thomas C – Aug 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
You should see Dr. Varma if you really want to get better. I'm a nurse and I injured my back at work. I was seen by her for low back pain. Her treatment literally made my pain disappear. No surgery. I had moved and just came back to the area. I hunted her down and I'm seeing her again for my neck now. Without her help, I would have quit long time ago. She's so positive and always smiling. I'm blessed to have such a caring doctor!!
May 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
I was seen by Dr Varma in December of 2019 at the Alexandria clinic after suffering from severe neck pain I had for years after being in a car accident. Along with that I suffered from headaches that made it impossible to perform my daily activities. I highly recommend Dr.Varma my pain has nearly disappeared in months. She does not believe in high doses of pain medicine and instead gave me alternative treatment to target my pain. I thank her for her patience in answering all of my questions, for her kindness but more than anything, allowing me to have a great quality of life.
Ellie S – May 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
I was seen by Dr. Varma on January 04, 2020 in her Alexandria Office. She is the one Doctor who’s so skilled with her treatment techniques that she helped me avoid back surgery. I had slipped disc in my back. Pain was so bad that I could not walk or stand. Even sitting was painful. Every doctor I consulted kept giving me more pain medicines. I was nothing but a zombie. I was losing control of my life. Then, I saw Dr. Varma. After her treatment, I have been able to get my life back. I rarely take any pain medicine now and bye bye to Surgery. She’s hands down the best !!
JPJ – May 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
I saw dr Varma1 time bc my dr was away& I needed an rx. She billed my ins $2,350 4 separate times. I wasn’t going to be a new patient so there wasn’t a consultation. She knew that. She looked me up to find my rx and then she wrote 1rx for me & I left. This is outrageous!! Dr Ritu Varma &Mid Atlantic Pain Management are the reasons health care in America is so dysfunctional. I pay $22,000 a year just to have health ins. SHAME ON YOU DR RITU VARMA &MID ATLANTIC PAIN MANAGEMENT. $2,350 for 10min-billed 4 times. People are literally dying bc health care is too expensive. It’s practices&drs like this that make health ins. unattainable for so many millions of Americans. You have blood on your hands. What can ins companies do when a person gets charged nearly $3,000 multiple times for taking a pen &rx pad out to write 1perscrjption? My God, what if I had been sick & needed treatment? I can’t even imagine how much that would cost. It’s disgusting and really sad. You’re the problem
Erin – Mar 06, 2020
Hello Erin, Dr. Varma is an employee of the...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr. Varma is attentive and cares about the patient. Diagnosis was proper and procedures were helpful in eliminating pain.
Feb 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Amazing pain doctor who listened to all my concerns. I’m pretty young (20s) so hopefully I would need to come back for my chronic pain, but life is fickle. In any case, I know who to call!
Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr Varma has treated my low back pain for over a year. Top notch medical care!
Kipp B. – Jan 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr. Varma has helped my with a shoulder injury from many years ago. She also gives me trigger point injection which help with various aches and pain.
Dec 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Have been seeing Dr Varma since around July of 2018. She is THE best doctor that I have. She is not just an anesthesiologist. She’s a also a trained surgeon/orthopedist /pain management doctor, that is well versed with diagnostic abilities, Intuitiveness, and spot on determination of the reason for ailments. She doesn’t just spend 5 mins with you throw out a diagnosis & medicine at you. She listens, looks at your history and xrays, MRI, etc basically takes in ALL the info. She is thorough. Out of many, many Drs I have seen regarding my long list of injuries, arthritis, bursitis, spondilithiasis, disk protrusions, nerve compression & damage, scoliosis and every other diagnosis one can have associated with these problems. She takes it all in. My issues are within my neck, shoulder, back (cervical to coccyx), hips & knees. She is addressing all of these with utmost care, compassion & understanding. I have damaged my body from 45 hrs of cowgirling & body of a bull rider. She has saved me!
Melissa G, Warrenton VA – Dec 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr Varma is very pleasant and listens to her patients. I have psoriatic arthritis, degenerate disc disease, pinched nerves in my neck. Dr Varma has helped improve my pain levels. I make this review again to correct a 3 star review previously. That was an error, good on my part, want to ensure she gets good rating as she deserves.
Sean Baker – Dec 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
I had pain for many years and saw many doctors prior to being referred to Dr. Varma. Dr. Varma was caring, took the time to listen to my concerns and took the correct steps to diagnose and direct the correct course of action to treat my issues in my back. Dr. Varma followed up with me personally when she didn't need to and honestly provided the type of treatment that you dream you could receive. I highly recommend Dr. Varma to anyone who is experiencing spinal pain and has not been able to get relief.
Elisabeth – Dec 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
One year ago I could not walk 10 feet without having to take a knee due to the shooting pain in my back and legs. I'm just a working guy and Dr. Varma talked to me like a peer and knew exactly what the issues were and through a series of back injections the worst I now encounter is sore back, which is expected for a guy of 62. Furthermore, she made sure I never experienced more pain than necessary and never made me beg for information or explanation. Although she is quite busy and things don't happen fast, I assure you, you've found the right Doctor for both your pain and peace of mind.
  • Long wait times
Dec 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
My husband was treated by Dr Varma and he had great relief. I have had sever leg pain for years –going to acupuncture, wearing heat patches and going to physical therapy – with very little relief. After my Husbands treatment I asked the Medical folks at Ft Belvoir if I could get this type of treatment and they said yes Medicare and Tricare would cover it. Dr Varma requested an MRI and then explained all the problems with my spine. She gave me the series of epidual shots which gave me tremendous relief and I now can walk without stopping every few blocks to massage the pain in my legs . Dr Varma is now treating me for hip and lower back pain, plus numbness in her feet. I have suffered for many years and now getting much better thanks to Dr Varma.
Ami E. O'Malley – Nov 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
I have been treated by Dr. Varma for severe pain from spinal pinching of a nerve for just less than a year. She has listened to my complaints, recommended a treatment regiment. We proceeded with this plan, and she continually monitors the progress. She has followed up on the program, and suggested additional treatment, or modification that may make the pain lessen. This attention to the patients condition and listening to the patient, and their lifestyle need is very refreshing. Completely recommend her.
Charles Hooff III – Nov 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
A truly amazing Doctor who cares over her patients as a mother would over her children.A rare heart with supreme knowledge to heal and combat my pain.Never been better or more happier after 19 years of dealing with disk issues. Henry Wolf 11/21/19
Henry Wolf – Nov 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr Varma is truly AMAZING! She has such class and professionalism when dealing with her patients. Whenever I have an appointment to see Dr Varma, you know you’ll be treated with the utmost respect. She is truly a blessing when it comes to medicine.
Chela Johnson – Nov 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Dr. Varma is very thorough and extremely patient. She explains everything so that you understand. Her assistance is also great at following up.
Nov 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?
Doctor Varma, is really a savior and was for me. I am glad that the Lord send this amazing Doctor my way. She and her Staff are the best, my pain was so server shooting down my legs both, my back, always shooting pains. I could not sleep and couldn't even think about doing anything until I was treated by Doctor Varma. She is so caring, respectful and gets the job done. I have nothing but great things to say about this outstanding Doctor, I don't know what I would have done with out her not taking care of me. I am still have problems but nothing like the ones I had before I med Dr Varma. She is a real professional, and a gift to many and myself, that words cannot describe. Thank You! Doctor Varna, and your Staff
Freddie Elliott – Oct 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ritu Varma, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Varma?

Suffering from regular pain can be incredibly stressful. I work with every patient as if they are my family member, and I treat them the way I would treat...Read more

Dr. Varma has a degree in Anesthesiology. She trained at University of Michigan in an interventional pain fellowship. Besides excelling academically, she...Read more

• Pain Medicine Anesthesiology