Dr. Rick Papandrea, MD

Dr. Rick Papandrea, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery | Male

Although my focus is specialized toward the treatment of the upper extremity (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand), I first and foremost consider the patient as a whole person.Each encounter should consider what is most appropriate for the individual patient. What is best for one person may differ from another patient with a similar problem due to profession, activity level, or other medical conditions.My philosophy is simple: listen, do a thorough examination of the affected and related areas, and then treat the problem the same way I would treat it in my own family member.

Triple board certified (Orthopedic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Sports Medicine) surgeon who specializes in the upper extremity (from the finger tip to the shoulder blade and clavicle).  Over 20 years experience in orthopedics, with training from both Harvard and the Mayo Clinic.

Dr. Papandrea's Experience

See how Dr. Papandrea's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Papandrea

Dr. Papandrea accepts 25 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Papandrea has admitting privileges.

Dr. Papandrea's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Papandrea to family and friends
Dr. Papandrea's Performance
in Pewaukee, WI |
Dr. Papandrea did a thumb fusion for arthritis about a year ago. He was wonderful during my pre-op visits answering my many questions and explaining thoroughly what the surgery would entail and how the recovery would be. Post-op was just as explained and again questions were answered and recovery went well. After years of dealing with a painful thumb which curtailed activities, I rarely even think about that area now and can do everything with that hand. He's great!
in Fox Point, WI |
A skilled, knowledgeable ortho. with excellent communication skills. I have had pain in an elbow that was fractured in a hit & run auto accident while riding a bicycle years ago. Two years ago my elbow was so sore, weak and painful I couldn't even lift a piece of paper. Upon a rather quick examination, he suspected that I had a form of gout. I was given a cortisone shot. His diagnosis was spot on and I highly value his skills.
in Hartland, WI |
My surgery (broken clavicle) went very well. Dr. Papendrea personally met with me pre surgery, explained in detail the process and expected outcome. He again met with me in post operative, to detail expectations in next 24 -48 hours. I appreciated the hands on consultations.
in Stone Bank Wisconsin |
First surgery (shoulder replacement) and it went very well. He seemed very knowledgeable and his protocol for recovery was aggressive but it worked out perfectly for me. Playing golf at 90 days and now at 11 months, I often forget that I've had a shoulder replacement.
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Papandrea fit me in to a hectic schedule and delivered a surgery that was quite complicated, for which I was very grateful. My wrist surgery involved two broken bones, for which it was necessary to insert a metal plate, ten screws and a bone fragment to stabilize it. This was done in August of 2016. I now have full mobility in my wrist, with the help of a good occupational therapist, provided also through Dr. Papandrea. I am pleased with the result.
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Had two shoulder surgeries about 2 years apart, both went great. Able to move arm in 48 hrs and minor pain. Shoulders are fine after about 8 and 10 years, sleep so much better. Dr. Papandrea was great at visits and with surgery? Highly recommended!
in Brookfield |
Dr Papandrea replaced my left shoulder in November and then replaced my right shoulder 10 weeks later. I could not be more pleased with the entire out come. I have regained good range of movement in both arms and I am pain free. PS. After the surgery follow the exercise instructions, it really helps to regain motion.
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Dr.Papandrea and team rating from Alpha to Omega is Five Star.
in Pewaukee, WI |
I had pain in my left shoulder which my normal Orthopedic repaired for me...I was not able to get my movement back and Dr. Papandrea took over.....He repaired the other orthopedics work and still was not able to retain my movement....He then replaced the shoulder and my movement came back.......Thank you Dr.
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Dr.Papandrea did a left elbow replacement.I was so pleased with the surgery, I highly recommend him he explains the procedure and what to expect after surgery and recovery time.
in Muskego, WI |
I would recommend Dr. Papandrea to anyone, including family, looking for an orthopedic surgeon. His skill as a surgeon are exceptional, which leads to exceptional surgical outcome, quick recovery, and less pain. In addition Dr. Papandrea cares about his patients and is concerned with the patients outcome. For example, Dr. Papandrea called mat at home the day after my surgery and several other times to see how I was doing. The staff was excellent as well.
in Pewaukee, WI |
I have had two shoulder surgeries performed by Dr. Papandrea and both were very successful and I am back to golfing at 75 ! I am very pleased with the doctors professionalism and true caring about my condition.
in Waukesha |
Absolutely recommended! Dr. Papandrea was great with my 12-year-old daughter and her elbow surgery went very well. I was referred to Dr. Papandrea by a friend and am very happy that I was! I was very impressed when he talked to my daughter instead of directing all of the information at me as the parent. She and I both felt respected and would not hesitate to see him again if we were in a similiar situation.
in Hartland, WI |
I am extremely satisfied with the care and professionalism Rick and his team showed. The procedure went extremely well and recovery was excellent.
in Green Bay, WI |
I was referred to Dr. Papandrea from my Orthopedic Dr. in Green Bay. He told me Dr. Papandrea excelled on fixing elbows. So I got an appointment to see Dr. Papandrea. He explained my surgery to me and we set up a time and date for surgery. When I went for surgery I was impressed from the person who checked me in to the anesthesiologist and the nurses who took care of me before surgeries to the nurses that helped me in surgery. All went well. Dr. Rick Papandrea did a fantastic job on my elbow.
I had a reverse shoulder replacement in February 2015. Dr. Papandrea and his staff were wonderful. Unfortunately for me, my shoulder dislocated days after surgery. Had to go back under to have it relocated. Same things happened a few days later so I had to have surgery to replace parts of the shoulder with different sized parts. A few days later, it dislocated again. Back for another surgery to replace parts again. It has been great since that last surgery. Odd set of circumstances.
in Pewaukee, WI |
Broke my ankle May, 2016. Dr. Papandrea did an awesome job in fixing it, like new! Very grateful for the work he did and glad I had the best Doctor, treating me! Several friends who work in healthcare asked who the Doctor was that treated me. They all told me, I had the best!!
in Waukesha, WI |
I broke my wrist on 4th of July and he was able to get me in for surgery the very next morning. He even called me up on the night of the 4th personally. The surgery went very well and that night he also called me up to find out how I was doing. I was so impressed by his caring attitude! He is very knowledgeable and knows just exactly what he is doing. I have healed extremely well with my wrist and have absolutely no pain .
in Muskego, WI |
Thorough explanations! No unnecessary x-rays. Great surgeon! Did not lie or exaggerate about recovery. Recovery went well, office was always available for questions or help! Thank you!
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Papandrea is very professional and a great Dr. I had shoulder surgery to repair my ongoing dislocation problem with it. Wish I would of gone in sooner - so happy with the results.
in Sussex, WI |
Dr Papandrea has replaced my wife's shoulder with a reverse shoulder and the results have been wonderful. She has full movement, the therapy was very professionally done and the best part was that her torn rotor cuff did not have to be replaced. Dr Papandrea has done shoulder shoulder surgery for me by removing bone spurs. This was also a complete success. Also Dr Papandrea has removed Dupytrens contractures from both of my hands. I have never been so pain free after a surgery.
Waukesha, WI |
Very professional. He has great communication with both patient and family. Highly recommend him to anyone suffering from shoulder pain or discomfort. Had a reverse total shoulder only complaint is that I wish I did it years earlier.
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Dr. Papandrea performed a total shoulder replacement on my right shoulder in June 2015. I knew from my experience in the insurance field that he is very highly regarded. His innovative way of performing shoulder surgeries provides for earlier physical therapy. I cannot recommend him highly enough!
in Butler, WI |
Dr Papandrea took the time to explain the complete procedures for both my shoulder surgeries and takes the time to answer any questions. I had rotator cuff/muscle repair done in Sept 2015. I also had a reverse shoulder replacement done on my right shoulder in Sept of 2016. Before my shoulder replacement I could not raise my arm past chest level. I am now able to raise my arm all the way up over my head with no problems. Both shoulders are doing great and I would definitely recommend Dr Papandrea
in Waukesha, WI |
Dr. Papandrea was one of the best surgeons I have ever had. Very knowledgeable and good at what he does.. No wonder everyone I spoke to said people come from all over to have him do surgery. I have already referred him to some of my friends who are having shoulder issues.
in Muskego, WI |
Dr. Papandrea provided me with a surgical option that I did not know was possible. The results were incredible. My hand function is back to normal with absolutely no pain. I recommend Dr. Papendrea without reservation.
in Waukesha, WI |
I had broke my hand back in September of 2016 went to go see dr. Rick papandrea he was so nice so caring so thoughtful his staff was very pleasant everyone had very good attitude kindness I would recommend very strongly going to dr. Rick papandrea he helped me surgery was so successful I did not even need rehab for my hand that's how good he is
in Dousman, WI |
My experience with Dr. Papandrea was outstanding. He operated on both of my hands which were in bad shape and now they are as good as new. His skill was manifested in the result in both operations. Besides his medical skill, he was very personable and explained the procedures very clearly. His staff was equally as excellent.
in Oconomowoc, WI |
Dr. Papandrea replaced my left shoulder last year and I feel great! Not only is he an awesome surgeon, he also has a great bedside manner. I would definitely recommend his services to anyone!
in Brookfield, WI |
I have had shoulder replacement a year ago. I have full range with my arm and shoulder. I will be having my other shoulder replacement by Dr. Rick Papandrea in a week and highly recommend Dr Papandrea. His staff is also excellent in helping patient .
in Oconomowoc, Wi |
Dr. Papandrea is the best he evaluates the situation, makes a decision and gets the necessary treatment scheduled and performed. In my opinion he is the best. He gets the job done. Tom McGovern Oconomowoc, Wi.
in Mukwonago, WI |
I saw him 3 years ago after my injury did excellent job. I can't wait go back and see him again.
in Iron Mountain Michigan |
Had shoulder replacement surgery in May2015. excellent surgeon. Pain gone and Arm moves very well. Responded to all questions inquiries issues etc. before during and after surgery. Would highly recommend
in Muskego, WI |
He operated on my thumb knuckle and I had virtually no pain and I have good movement in 8 wks.
Have you seen Dr. Rick Papandrea, MD?
Are you Dr. Papandrea?

Compare Dr. Papandrea

Dr. Papandrea says...

Dr. Papandrea's Care Philosophy

Dr. Papandrea says...

Dr. Papandrea is triple board certified in orthopedic surgery, hand surgery, and sports medicine.  He has additional fellowship training from the Mayo Clinic and Harvard in hand, shoulder and elbow training.  His practice and expertise is focused on treatment of the entire upper extremity from the shoulder blade to the finger tip.

Dr. Papandrea's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
  •  Board certified in Hand Surgery, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Wisconsin not available

• Best Presentation and Layout for a Scientific Exhibit. American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 1996
    • Sandoz Award for Clinical Excellence, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1991
    • Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1992
    • Outstanding Clinical Instructor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Medical College of WI, 2005
    • Residents Research Competition, First Place Cleveland Orthopaedic Society Biomechanical, Cross-sectional, Clinical Analysis of the epitenon-first Technique for Flexor Tendon Repair, 1995
    • Best Doctors, 2011
    • Milwaukee Super Doctors, 2011
    • Best Doctors, 2010
    • Outstanding Clinical Instructor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2002
    • over 15 published articles and book chapters - please see CV

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Wisconsin.

Why It Matters: Dr. Papandrea's Board Certifications

• Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Pain
  • Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gouty Arthropathy
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hand Pain
  • Intra-Articular Fracture
  • Joint Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Shoulder Instability
  • Shoulder Pain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Simple Fractures
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Traumatic Arthropathy

Mayo Clinic-Elbow/Shoulder Fellowship

Completed in 1999

University of Wisconsin / Madison

Graduated in 1988

Dr. Papandrea does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Papandrea and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery