Dr. Richard Wohns, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Puyallup, WA and has been practicing for 39 years. He specializes in neurosurgery and neurological spine surgery.

Dr. Wohns accepts

Dr. Wohns accepts the following insurance:

First Choice Health
Providence Health Plans
Personal Option EPO
Regence Blue Shield of Washington
Preferred Provider Network

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Washington

Check Dr. Wohns' experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Wohns' Top Procedures and Conditions

Low Back Pain

Dr. Wohns treats Low Back Pain more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Wohns treats this condition more than 97% of his peers

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)

Dr. Wohns performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 96% of his peers

Dr. Wohns performs this procedure more than 96% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Laminectomy
  • Laminoplasty
  • Laminotomy
  • Lumbar Laminectomy
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Wohns treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 95% of his peers

Dr. Wohns treats this condition more than 95% of his peers

• Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis

Dr. Wohns' conditions and procedures:

• Carpal Tunnel Release
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Disc Replacement

3.6

Dr. Wohns?
Dr. Wohns' Performance
What People Say About Dr. Richard Wohns, MD
Didn't believe Mr when I told him l8tr spinal fusion felt like it was off, as a result I have permanent damage to my spinal canal
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Not sure if Dr. Wohns is a great Dr surgeon because I cannot get his office staff to follow thru and get approval from Aetna. To the insurance's credit they appear to be doing all they can to resolve the issue and reaching out to his office but no one from his office seems to want to follow thru. I guess they have all the business they can handle so no need to fight for those who cannot sail thru the insurance approval issues. Military moving us and I will unfortunately need to start over in ano
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
He’s been correcting issues I’ve had done with another surgeon. I have a disability he has been working with.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Absolutely awesome! Really knows his stuff!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Dr. Wohns performed an artificial disk surgery on me, and I am now able to do all sorts of athletic activities that were impossible before! I'm hiking, running, biking, and I couldn't be happier. I heavily researched all the Neurosurgeons on the West Coast, and no one was more highly recommended than Dr. Richard Wohns. I am incredibly picky, naturally, about such a incredibly weighty decision, but I couldn't have been happier. If you need a neurosurgeon, than Dr. Wohns is the absolute best.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Excellent! Dr. Wohns "bedside manner" is rare in medicine theses days and his surgical skill is second to none. He got me out of pain and changed my life for the better! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
I've had two surgeries performed by Dr. Wohns. He is amazing! He is a very busy man, but I have never felt rushed at an appointment and he has always taken the time to answer all of my questions. I feel lucky to have found him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
I've had 2 different surgeries by Dr. Wohns. Does min. invasive procedures. His staff is friendly, The Dr. is usually on time, and Dr. Wohns is an expert in his field. People come from around the country to seek out his expertise. Great Dr.!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
When Brian was 29 he was in a car accident & slowly lost the L4 & L5 fluid out of his discs. He had tremendous back pain. We saw 17 doctors & no one could figure it out. The doctors put him on drugs, but that was no life. When walking the rubbing bones caused intense pain. Finally we were referred to Dr. Wohns. Brian had surgery, an L4/L5 Fusion. After 6 weeks he returned to work full time. He has not had any problems since the surgery. Thank you Dr. Wohns. I am forever grateful!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Dr. Wohns gave me a pro-C disc replacement. When I woke from my surgery I knew instantly that the surgery worked. I did not have the constant electrical pain down my arms. I was sent home the same day. I felt so good that I had to keep reminding myself not to do too much. I am back doing things I couldn’t do before IE: brushing my hair, vacuuming, daily house chores, etc. Thanks Dr. Wohns you’re the best.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Dr. Wohns performed a Total Cervical Disc replacement on me yesterday, using the Mobi-C. Immediately post-op, I was able to notice that the numbness/tingling & shoulder/arm pain I had been feeling for the past couple years was completely gone. Dr. Wohns is extremely knowledgeable & competent in his field & I would refer anyone having spine issues to him. The office staff, anesthesiologists, medical assistants, nurses, etc. were all very pleasant & thorough in answering any questions.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Amazing and GREAT results! Could not imagine a better surgery or outcome!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
I met with Dr Wohns today and I feel he really cared about helping me. I have met with many doctors over the last six years, usually to be pushed aside. But Dr Wohns ordered testing for me and listened to me. I look forward to seeing him again.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
If I could put zero I would he messed up two out of 3 surgery and now we live a night mare of pain daily He should not work on any human
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
I am getting ready to schedule surgery. So far he seems confident with is skills and what I need.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
2 Years after my surgery, all of my symptoms have returned. My quality of life is no better. The nurse sprayed glued on my incision on accident, so I had to go back right after post off and they had to VERY carefully remove the bandage where the glue had been. Not fun at all.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
I thought he was very arrogent. Never had time to answer my questions nor did he show me my MRI or X-rays that he ordered. Suggested a specific surgery that was not covered by my claim. Would not go back.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
To begin with, there is usually a long wait in the waiting room at appointment times. You must be screened through one of the PA's before being allowed to actually see Dr Wohns . Once I FINALLY got to meet him he spent the majority of time speaking to me while facing the computer screen. I have a serious back issue and he only wanted to fix the small portion that was causing the most pain. This would have left me having to come back for multiple surgeries over the next few years!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?
Dr. Wohns preformed cervical surgery on me in 2000 and will now do another at a different level. I have complete trust and faith in Dr. Wohns. He is a surgeon 'focused' on the surgery and outcome for the patient and I am not the average patient. His bedside manner is a bit shy of very good, but his technique and quality standards are top-notch, which is what I want in a surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Wohns, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Wohns?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Wohns treats patients.

St. Francis Hospital