Dr. Richard Wilk, MD

Orthopedic Sports MedicineMaleAge 62

Dr. Wilk

Brigham Health Orthopaedic Surgery

60 Fenwood Rd Boston, MA 02115

Dr. Richard Wilk, MD is a Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgery Specialist in Boston, MA. He is affiliated with medical facilities Brigham And Women's Faulkner Hospital and Brigham And Women's Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Wilk to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Wilk is affiliated with Brigham And Women's Hospital Boston, a highly rated hospital.

• Friendly Staff
    Patients said the staff was friendly. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Check Dr. Wilk's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis

Dr. Wilk accepts

Dr. Wilk accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

Dr. Wilk's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Wilk

3.7

Dr. Wilk
Couple years ago Dr Wilk fixed my left knee and it was so awesome I didn’t even need any pain medicine after surgery. Now I injured my right knee running and I’m just waiting for him to work his magic again! As a returning customer I totally recommend him!
Ligia Banks – Sep 18, 2021
I have been experiencing pain in the hip area for many years. After spending a few years being treated by one group I decided to switch and made an appointment with Dr. Wilk. The first treatment gave me significant relief. Additionally, Dr. Wilk is extremely Patient Centered, listening to my concerns and my thoughts on treatment. I highly recommend him.
Laurie W. – Aug 30, 2021
From my very first visit last October, Dr. Wilk listened to all my concerns and explained the details of the difficult surgical procedure I needed to repair two detached gluteus muscles at my left hip. He even kindly called my husband during the procedure to confirm the graft procedure was acceptable which was very kind. I’ve seen Dr Wilk several times since the surgery and he listened to my comments and gave me good direction regarding my recovery in a very kind manner. He has coordinated his efforts with a pain management physician and, after noting the current location of my pain, has recommended a consult with a spine surgeon, which we appreciate. My husband and I are grateful that Dr Wilk was willing to perform a difficult and complex surgery where there was a lot of damage to the muscles. Dr Wilk has always been kind and considerate to my husband and me during this difficult time. We highly recommend Dr Wilk for his kindness, excellent skills and professionalism.
Debra Williams – Aug 28, 2021
Dr. Wilk is an incredible orthopedic surgeon and a wonderful person. He was recommended to me by my own local orthopedic surgeon. He is extremely knowledgeable, professional, thorough, honest, efficient and caring, all while maintaining a sense of humor. I have been to many orthopedic surgeons over the years, and he is by far the best. Just Outstanding! Definitely recommend him without hesitation.
Shelley Visinho – Jul 29, 2021
After seeing many other ortho surgeons for my very painful torn labrum (which having a previous hip arthroscopy years ago had not controlled the pain) they kept referring me out. I was finally referred to Dr. Wilk. He quickly ran his own exams (MRI’s, CT scans, etc.) to determine if he could help me. Next appointment he was very blunt and honest with my condition and what he would be able to do for me. He did not sugar coat anything (nor did I want him to). Surgery was booked. His office staff was excellent and easy to work with for scheduling and getting ahold of. Day of surgery he came to see me pre-op and assured me I would be ok. After surgery, a month out, I can truly say he changed my life. I am pain free! I haven’t been able to sleep for years due to the pain until now. If you’re looking for a doctor to hold your hand and tell you what you want to hear rather than what you need to hear then go elsewhere. I needed a great surgeon not a friend. He’s truly a great surgeon!
Natasha Amaro – Mar 25, 2021
I had a terrific surgical experience. Dr. Wilk was great and I felt I was in good hands. He answered all my questions before the surgery and was in the PACU after my surgery. His staff is so amazing and made the whole experience so easy. His PA responds to all my questions very quick. The Faulkner staff were the the best and everything was in time.
Angela Arroyo – Mar 17, 2021
I received a referral from a wonderful doc at BWH to see Dr. Wilk. I was hopeful that he would be equally as good despite bad reviews I read online. Much to my dismay, every person who gave this doc one star and bad reviews was exactly right. As previously stated, he was dismissive, rude, arrogant, and had a terrible bedside manner. He didn’t agree with the prior interpretations of my MRIs yet seemed unable to offer his own interpretation. Dude, aren’t you a doctor? He seemed irritated when my physical exam revealed weaknesses and was implying that I wasn’t trying hard enough. I actually called him out on talking down to me because it was so blatant and insulting. No one deserves to be treated the way he treats his patients. With that being said, I think his medical advice was fine, but his approach was so off putting that I wouldn’t recommend going to him. I left frustrated, feeling that he really didn’t care about my well-being and any of my concerns. Terrible experience.
Feb 13, 2021
Don’t waste your time. Go elsewhere, you’ll want a second opinion for sure!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Dec 03, 2020
Dr. Wilk gets zero stars from me. What a horrible rude person! I was in major pain & he didn’t care! He fat shamed me! I left his office crying. There is always a medical student that graduates last in his class. I believe Dr. Wilk was that student.
Oct 26, 2020
Dr. Wilks had seen a simple ex-ray of my left shoulder and then conferred with me and asked me many questions about my age and replacement of my shoulder. He thought that I was kind of young for shoulder replacement. After testing me with physical movements he decided to have more in depth ex-rays and mri's performed. He concluded that I would need a full shoulder replacement. Usually a complete shoulder replacement take 3 hours. Dr. Wilks had to spend an additional two hours on my should removing all the bone spur damage I had done to my shoulder from erosion over the years. He was helpful and informative before and after the 5 hour operation. He has changed my life. I can actually change my shirt and wash my hair or put on a coat with little or no pain now even though I am still healing. I would recommend him to anyone who needs his assistance.
Dan Galley – Sep 09, 2020
My daughter has had hip pain for over a year. She finally couldn’t stand it anymore and was referred to Dr. Will. She drove 4 hours to see him and he asked her why she didn’t go back to the doctor who did her last surgery because it was on the way. He was rude and was more interested in getting home to go somewhere with his family than helping. My daughter overheard him on the phone saying he was waiting for his last patient to leave so he could head home. Did you forget the oath you took? She cried as she left your dark office void of staff. Thanks for nothing.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Sharon Ring – Jul 05, 2020
Ms. Ring:I reviewed my office note which...Read More
Visited Dr Wilk's for shoulder issues Dec of 19 & Mar of 20. Had MRI and X rays at Brigham's before the Appointment. Dr Wilk's explained what the MRI was showing and all my options and gave me the referrals needed for physical therapy. All my questions were answered in terms easy to understand. He gave me exercises to do on my own. I highly recommend Dr Wilk's he is extremely informative and easy to talk with.
John – Apr 04, 2020
Dr Wilk, from day-one, was completely professional in words and actions--Any trepidation II had before the procedure was assuaged--I have about 99% movement in my shoulder and it feels great
Douglas Lemle – Mar 11, 2020
I had a great experience with Dr. Wilk and his staff in Foxboro. I had a torn labram and needed surgery to repair it. The office is very professional. Dr. Wilk and his staff do a great job. I felt well taken care of by Dr Wilk and he was able to help me understand the surgery and what I would have to do post surgery. X-rays were in house and very little office waiting in between the nurse, the doctor and the xrays. Everything about the day surgery was smooth. Surgery was at 7am and I was home by noon. I would recommend his service to anyone needing to head down this path. I am recovering well and following the doctor's orders and look forward to a full recovery and getting back to my active lifestyle.
Michelle from Braintree – Feb 03, 2020
Over a year ago, I was in severe pain with my hip. I was referred to Dr. Wilk and he was extremely thorough in explaining and working with me to figure out the best solution to getting me walking without pain. After surgery and several months of PT, I had my one year anniversary post-hip surgery appointment today with Dr. Wilk and I am happy to say I am pain-free!
Jan 09, 2020
Saw Dr Wilk in June for a Left Rotator Cuff repair and have been very happy. Pre-treatment went very well and I felt as if my concerns were all completely addressed pre-surgery. On the day of the surgery, everything went perfectly and I experienced very little pain Post Surgery. On my follow up, Dr Wilk showed me exactly what he needed to do to repair my shoulder. PT was successful and I am returning to work tomorrow with full confidence in the repair. I can highly recommend Dr Wilk if you have any shoulder issues.
Joe McG. – Dec 05, 2019
He was the one doctor that scheduled me in to see him within a week.He listened to my situation with my hip.The pain was a killer more than a 10 more like 20.I could not move unless I held on to something.I brought a MRI with me and he spent over 5 minutes studying it.I had a Hip Labral Tear and every doctor said I was to old to do anything. I'm 82 and in excellent shape.
Michael McEneny – Nov 09, 2019
Today I had my one year anniversary post-hip surgery appointment with Dr. Wilk. As always, he was fully attentive and truly showed he cares about me and the pain, which has improved tremendously. He did a superb job on my hip, which in turn has helped with my chronic back and knee pain. He warned me it would be a lot of work during my 6 months of rehabilitative therapy, but the work paid off and I’m feeling positive moving forward. I highly recommend Dr. Wilk if you need hip surgery. He’s great to work with and keeps things moving in a positive and honest direction. He’s a great surgeon and very friendly guy!
Lauren – Oct 31, 2019
I found Dr. Wilk to be attentive and informative. I was satisfied with the time he spent with me and his explanation of my situation. I actually found that he provided me with more information and insight than the orthopedic that referred me to him. I certainly do not agree with other reviewers that commented negatively on his bedside manner, which by the way is far less important than his medical experience. I would highly recommend him as an orthopedic.
Aug 29, 2019
I came to Dr. Wilk for a second opinion and was very satisfied. I greatly appreciate his approach. He is direct and to the point. He picked up on things that the first doctor hadn’t even discussed with me. I’m 100% confident I’m in good hands and appreciate his approach.
Aug 28, 2019

How was your experience with Dr. Wilk?

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

New England Med Ctr Hosps, Orthopedic Surgery New England Med Ctr Hosps, General Surgery
1991