Dr. Richard Thunder, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 61

Telehealth services available

Torrey Pines Orthopaedic Medical Group, Inc.

9850 Genesee Ave Ste 210 La Jolla, CA 92037

Dr. Richard Thunder, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in La Jolla, CA and has over 22 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Thunder has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Stanford University medical school in 1999. He is affiliated with medical facilities Mammoth Hospital and Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Thunder to book an appointment.

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Thunder with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Palomar Health.

Make an appointment at Palomar Health today at (858) 480-6126.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Palomar Health.

Dr. Thunder's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Thunder

3.4

Dr. Thunder

Dr. Thunder was recommended by several people I know, including people in the medical field plus former patients who received full knee replacements. My surgery was well planned and performed. Through Dr. Thunder, I am doing follow-up PT at Torrey Pines Orthopedic Medical Group.
Pamela Peters – Nov 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Listened attentively to my concerns Did not push for surgery Willing to assist with shots
Nov 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
My experience has been about as bad as one could imagine. In summary, this place is a meat market driven by profit for the doctor, without regard for patient care. I was referred to Dr. Richard Thunder for lower back pain. After waiting a few weeks, I had my first consultation. Five minutes later, he ordered an MRI and went on to next room. My wife and I could believe it when we saw him yelling across the office and a patient who was late! A few weeks later on my second appointment, the MRI showed a herniated disc. Dr. Thunder quickly became a used car salesmen and insisted he would fix it and operate on my back right away. He said that I shouldn’t bother with a second opinion, as nobody would care enough to get me on their schedule. Dr. Thunder walked me and my wife over to the “scheduling bullpen” and insisted with assistant “Ellie” to schedule me at the end of a long day of many surgeries. I’m told that this simple procedure that
Terrible Dr. Thunder and assistant Ellie. – May 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I saw mixed reviews about him online so was pleasantly surprised to have an awesome experience today and wanted to share so patients like me in the future go in. He listened well, was thorough in exam, walked me through MRI, answered all my questions, and guided treatment path. His staff was very courteous friendly and on time. Overall awesome and I will definitely be back. Highly recommend.
Mar 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Met Dr. Thunder to discuss the removal of a synovial cyst that had caused me months of serious sciatic pain and severely limited my activities. Dr Thunder was very sympathetic to my condition and promised to get me into surgery asap. He was able to get it done 4 days later. The responsiveness of his team was exceptional. The pain from the sciatica caused by the cyst was immediately gone and continues that way two weeks post surgery. I'm optimistic about a full recovery and appreciate Dr Thunder and his team addressing this painful issue quickly.
Dec 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Went to Dr Thunder for some serious back pain. After reviewing the RMI he told me that he would not recommend surgery. That was fine as I would not look forward to surgery. I was not interested in pain meds since I do not tolerate them well. However, his comment to me to "Just live with the pain" completely lacked empathy and showed a lack of interest in helping find a solution that might reduce the pain. He left me having to go find another doctor who took my pain issues seriously and recommended a plan to help control the pain better. I was very disappointed in Dr Thunders lackadaisical, dis-interested attitude. I would not recommend him to anyone.
CM – Nov 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Dr. Thunder delivered excellent care for my knee replacement surgery and recovery.
Stephen Waggoner – Aug 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I have seen Dr. Thunder about 5 times over the past five years for upper back pain and other pain related to muscle spasm, I have some issues with neck, and shoulders and upper back issues, nothing surgical but muscular but pain is not fun. . He has perscribed Physical therapy and also I have had injections in my upper back muscles which really helped a lot. He is the first doctor I have seen in 10 years that could help me with this upper back pain. I have been to over 5 doctors for this pain and Dr. Thunder was the only one who fixed the pain. He is pretty straight to the point and his bedside manner is not super friendly but that is fine for me. I don't go to him for emotional support. (:
May 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Dr. Thunder listened very carefully and then thoroughly explained my options so that I could make an informed decision on a treatment plan. He is extremely knowledgeable and I completely trust his recommendations and feel strongly I will recover soon.
May 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Dr Thunder is a truly brilliant surgeon. When I went to see him, I had already had a spinal fusion performed out of state. That procedure failed, leaving me in even more pain. Dr Thunder took on the unenviable task of first removing the failed apparatus and then repairing my lower spine. He almost unbelievably accomplished both. I have had no pain since the surgery. From his pre-surgery step-by-step explanation of the procedure to his thorough follow up, Dr Thunder was extraordinary.
Feb 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I have been a patient of Sierra Park for years but, I hope I never have to go there again. Dr Thunder is not empathic or caring. He tried to tell me spinal stenosis is not painful but, I have it and, its extremley painful. They have no problem charging over 10 thousand dollars for tests and physical therapy but heaven forbid you ask for a prescription for pain meds.
BISHOP, CA – Feb 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I was very happy with my experiences, and ultimately surgery with Dr. Thunder. He saw me and diagnosed the herniated cervical disc issues I was experiencing which were so severe it resulted in surgery. One week post-surgery, the results are fantastic and I am pain free thanks to Dr. Thunder. For me, he was the perfect doctor to have through this experience and my results could not be better. No pain and an incision closure so great the x-ray tech at post-op appointment had to look closely.
La Jolla, San Diego, CA – May 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I went to see Dr. Thunder due to a bad leg pain. He just let me go home because I didn't do a MRI before the visit. Why he didn't let me do MRI first before going to visit him? Did he know how painful I was? Waste of money and time, especially for people who are suffering from severe pain and really need good care. NOT recommended.
San Diego – Apr 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I agree that Dr. Thunder is a terrible Doctor. I saw him today I wanted him to look at my MRI he yawned and acted like he didn’t want to be there. I was asking him questions about the report and he seemed to be bothered by it, as he walked out of the room. He spent almost 10 mins with me, I was a new patient what a jerk!
MLynch in Crowley Lake Ca – Mar 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Dr. Thunder is a rude, arrogant jerk of a doctor! After my bilateral core decompression/AVN surgery his "follow up" visits were so horrible. I told him I was having problems with my circulation ever since the surgery with my legs and feet going cold. He said, "Well, it's nothing I did to you...Get a Heating Blanket!" and walked out of the room after a 2 minute visit. I have witnesses to what a rude, mean doctor he is. Do yourself a favor and NEVER, EVER go to him!
San Diego, CA – Sep 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I was disappointed with the care shown by Dr. Thunder: acted like he'd never seen me, forgot he had sent me for an MRI; while reviewing, as I sat there, he missed the conclusion by the radiologist clearly stated in the report; and said when he saw that I'd had two serious back traumas "you must fall down a lot". Not kidding. Unsure of what I'd heard I corrrected "No, I was hit by a drunk driver." Sometimes even good doctors get lazy and careless. No room for more detail here.
Vista, CA – Aug 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
I recently went to see Dr. Thunder based on a friends referral. I have acute pain in my lower back and was seeking guidance for surgical and/or pain management options. The experience was less than cordial with the outcome being a referral to a pain management specialist for Cervical/Thoracic Facet Joint Block (shot). Unfortunately, DR Thunder misrepresented the problem as upper neck pain and insurance was declined. I'm starting over with a new Dr. and consequentially, battling insurance.
Carlsbad, CA – May 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?
Dr Thunder listen to me more than any other Doctor ever has, he read my MRI with me, talked about past mri's I had and X- Rayed my back right then. I have had a sciatic problem for 6 years and have seen 4 other Orthopedic / Neurosurgery Doctors hunting for any option but a total disc and fusion operation. Which will be my end result soon. I do not been operated on by him yet.
David Ferro in Ojai, CA – May 26, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Thunder, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Thunder?

Torrey Pines Orthopaedics is dedicated to providing comprehensive orthopaedic care to our community. TPO was established in 1978 and has grown to include...Read more

2005