Dr. Richard Sostowski, MD

Addiction Psychiatry | Male

33 Orchard Hill Rd Bernardsville, NJ 07924 Get Directions
Dr. Richard Sostowski, MD
Dr. Richard Sostowski, MD is an addiction psychiatry doctor who practices in Bernardsville, NJ. He is 69 years old and has been practicing for 44 years. Dr. Sostowski is affiliated with Saint Barnabas Medical Center and University Hospital.

Dr. Sostowski's Care Philosophy

I am a strong believer in treating my patients with both psychotherapy and medication if needed. Psychotherapy is most helpful for the improvement of interpersonal functioning while medication is best directed at symptoms (e.g.. depression or anxiety) If possible, I prefer to provide both the psychotherapy and the medication management. I don't like split therapies (e.g.. seeing a social worker for therapy and the psychiatrist for medication) because the 2 participants rarely spend the time to communicate with each other about the patient. Also, I have found that split treatment often turns out to be more expensive for the patient. I do both short term and long term psychotherapy. I tend to see most patients once a week. Over the years, I have seen some patients as frequently as 3-4 times a week if formal psychoanalysis. Most of my patients are bright people who already know what they should do to change their lives. I try to help them understand their resistance to change.

Dr. Sostowski's Experience

See how Dr. Sostowski's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Sostowski

Dr. Sostowski accepts 1 insurance carrier

Dr. Sostowski is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Sostowski has admitting privileges.

Dr. Sostowski's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sostowski to family and friends
2.8
Dr. Sostowski's Performance
Califon |
Dr. Sostowski treated me for my ADHD. He was understanding of my feelings and frustrations, and helped me work out a plan that worked best for me. He was extremely patient with my never ending questions.
in morristown |
I have been seeing Dr. Sostowski since December, 2003 for treatment of Major Depression and Alcohol Dependence. He initially referred me to a great IOP for addiction, and I have remained sober since then, attending AA meetings on a regular basis. Dr. Sostowski is a kind, caring and compassionate therapist, and has an excellent grasp of pharmacotherapy. I would not hesitate to recommend him to others.
Chester, NJ |
Dr. Sostowski has over 40 years of practice and is clearly devoted to his patients. His sessions start on time and he will give me extra time if I need it. He is smart, a great listener , who is trustful and provides helpful feedback. He has been named several times as a Top Doc in New Jersey Magazine and it shows
Have you seen Dr. Richard Sostowski, MD?
Are you Dr. Sostowski?

Compare Dr. Sostowski

Dr. Sostowski's Care Philosophy

Dr. Sostowski says...

As a psychiatrist who is also a psychoanalyst, I have special expertise in the psychotherapy of personality disorders which are not typically treated with medication.

I also have extensive expertise in the assessment of a patient's risk for committing suicide.

Most of my practice consists of patients with anxiety disorders, depression, borderline personality and Bipolar Disorder. However, I am comfortable with any of the diagnoses discussed in DSM-4 AND DSM-5

In reviewing my profile, I noted that I received a few poor evaluations from patients. This is totally uncharacteristic for me. Unfortunately, I had some personal illness in my family and had to take off about 6 months. Understandably, a few patients felt abandoned and angry and took it out on me in their evaluations.

Dr. Sostowski's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Addiction Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Forensic Psychiatry and Psychiatry
  •  Sanctions found

Dr. Sostowski has no awards or honors listed.

• Factitial Illnesses Mimicking Rheumatic Disease with Panniculitis. Vol. 2, Number 2, April 1996

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

Dr. Sostowski has received 2 sanctions

• Amended Order (9/15/2015)
    • Action Taken: Probation
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: New Jersey
    • Professional Misconduct (11/20/2014)
    • Action Taken: Probation
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: New Jersey

Why It Matters: Dr. Sostowski's Board Certifications

• Forensic Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Nondependent Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Personality Disorders
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University

Graduated in 1973

Nyu-Bellevue Med Ctr. (Residency In Psychiatry)

Completed in 1976

William Alanson White Institute Of Psychoanalysis From 1977-1982
    Saint Peter's University

Dr. Sostowski does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sostowski and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Addiction Psychiatry
  • Mental Hygiene Psychiatry
  • Neuropsychiatry (Psychiatry)
  • Opioid Detoxification Treatment

• ADHD Testing
  • Antipsychotic Medication Therapy (Inpatient Only)
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Counseling Services
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Independent Forensic Evaluation
  • Lithium Therapy (Inpatient Only)
  • Medication Management