Dr. Richard Smith, MD

Dr. Richard Smith, MD

Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Richard Smith, MD is an orthopedic hand surgery doctor who practices in Knoxville, TN. He is 59 years old and has been practicing for 33 years. Read his story

11440 Parkside Dr Ste 110

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee
  • Bluegrass Family Health
  • CHAMPVA

Learn about Dr. Smith

See how frequently Dr. Smith performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hand and Wrist Fracture Treatment, Open
Osteoarthritis of Hands
Elbow Injuries

Dr. Smith's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Smith's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Smith "Originally from Chattanooga, Tennessee, Richard S. Smith, M.D. attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and graduated with highest honors. He attended the University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Memphis before completing a general surgery internship and an orthopedic surgery residency at University of Florida Health Science Center. Dr. Smith also completed a year hand fellowship at Baylor University in Houston. Dr. Smith is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon and possesses the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons Certificate of Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand. He serves as an Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville. His interests are injuries and problems of the hand, wrist and elbow. He enjoys the intricacy of working with the hand and the combined skills it requires of orthopaedic, plastic and general surgery. Dr. Smith also specializes in the treatment of arthritis, carpal tunnel surgery and injuries of the upper extremity.He embraces the most complex problems requiring repair and reconstruction and was the first surgeon in Tennessee to use XIAFLEX to treat Dupuytrens contracture. He is also utilizing a new and minimally invasive treatment for tennis elbow called the FAST (Focused Aspiration of Scar Tissue) procedure which shows great promise for relieving pain an discomfort for his patients. Dr. Smith has been in practice over 25 years. He deals with both common and complex problems of the hand, wrist and elbow. Dr. Smith has been named one of Knoxville's "Top Docs" by City View magazine numerous times. His personal hobbies include music, reading, running and golf. He also publishes a blog called "Lending a Hand" which deals with common hand problems."

This content was provided by Dr. Smith "I place a high priority on involving my patients in their care. Once I have made a diagnosis I will try to explain the problem to the patient in clear language they can understand.  I often use charts which are in our office with pictures and diagrams as well as handouts to help make things clear.  When I feel there is only one treatment option available, I will make that clear but if there are multiple options available I try my best to help the patient come to the conclusion that will best serve their needs.  If the patient is uncertain or unclear about what's going on I have no problem with patients seeking second opinions or exploring other options.  I want to make sure the patient understands the treatment I am recommending and the goals and limitations of that treatment."

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Marfan Syndrome
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Trigger Finger Release
  • Ultrasound Guided Procedures
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• University Of Tennessee, Knoxville
  • University Of Florida-Jacksonville
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Baylor U/St Luke's Hosp
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Smith has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Smith does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Smith and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Smith's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Smith to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Smith Says:

I appreciate patients taking the time to provide feedback.  Our office values all of the feedback, good and bad, so that we can focus on improving the patient's experience in our office.  If you have questions or concerns you can call us at 865-546-2663 and someone will evaluate your question and get back in touch with you.

Dr. Smith's Performance
DANDRIDGE |
Dr Smith did a cyst removal in my left hand. the procedure went smoothly and successfully. He is easy to work with. his office is friendly and efficient. the procedure was quick and painless. I am very happy with the success of the surgery and would highly recommend him for any hand/wrist surgery.
Knoxville, TN |
I went to Dr. Smith with 2 equal and separate problems of the same joint. I explained both in great detail at our initial meeting and pre-surgery meeting. At my 6 week followup I asked what he did to alleviate "problem A", as my range of motion felt the same (painful) as it did before surgery. He stated that he did nothing to address it and that is a "separate deal". Really! I was shocked that he never informed me of his plan, never advised me he would not be addressing this major issue.
in Corryton, TN |
I broke my elbow and tore some ligaments. It was a pretty bad injury. Dr. Smith and his staff took great care of me! He was kind and took time to answer ALL of my questions prior to surgery and talked to me about my rehab and what I could expect in the coming weeks. I am thankful to have had him for my surgeon.
in Newport, TN |
I have had 2 fractured arms, he did both surgerys and I am doing great. He is a nice. great surgeon.
in Knoxville, TN |
In early January, I tore a tendon in my finger by simply flicking something off the car seat. It was now my turn to visit Dr. Smith (who took care of my husband?s Trigger Finger a few months earlier). He diagnosed the problem immediately and gave us the prognosis?outpatient surgery that could be performed by the end of the week. Wow! I just got the initial brace off yesterday and will be as good as new in a few weeks. Thank you Dr. Smith and your wonderful staff.
in Knoxville, TN |
A nurse friend who first saw my finger told me I had Trigger Finger, as did a doctor; both telling me it would require surgery. I was completely resigned to the inevitability of surgery. Dr. Smith looked at my finger and told me that he could give me a shot that very day and forego any surgical procedure. Well, that was almost four months ago. My finger is back to normal!!! Dr. Smith was not only honest but also kept the conversation on a personal, professional and understandable level.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Smith, MD?
Are you Dr. Smith?

• CHAMPVA
    Emblem Health
  • Golden Rule
  • HealthSmart
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedHealthInsurance