Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Richard Ryu, MD
Dr. Richard Ryu, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Santa Barbara, CA. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 37 years. Dr. Ryu is affiliated with Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

2936 De La Vina St Ste 100

Santa Barbara, CA 93105

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Ryu

See how frequently Dr. Ryu performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Runner's Knee
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
Knee Sprain

Dr. Ryu's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

• Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery
  • Knee Arthroscopy
  • Knee Surgery
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of California, San Francisco, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1980

Dr. Ryu has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Ryu does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ryu and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ryu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ryu to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Ryu's Performance
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Fortunately I was able to get in to see Dr. Ryu for an evaluation of my shoulder pain. Following an exam and MRI it was determined that I had a complex tear of my rotator cuff. I opted for the rotator cuff surgical procedure, as I am fully aware that Dr. Ryu is a highly skilled and gifted orthopedic surgeon. After 7 months of his instructional guidance through the post-op period, I am now fully recovered, pain free with full range of motion. I would recommend Dr. Ryu without reservations.
Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr. Ryu provided me with excellent counsel and service before, during, and after my rotator cuff surgery. Great communicator.
in Santa Maria, CA |
I have been under the care of Dr Ryu for 1.5 years due to a major knee injury. During my 1st surgery he found damage that did no show on the Xray's or MRI. He explained in great detail what my options where to get me back on my feet. A very new process (Denovo of Patella) Juvenile Tissue stem cell implant to the patella was best. Before the implant I had a very limited range of motion and chronic pain. I am still recovering but have minimal pain with full range of motion. Dr Ryu is AMAZING!
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Over a period of 9 years, Dr. Ryu has performed surgery on my right shoulder, my left shoulder and my left knee, and all 3 surgeries were tremendous successes in fully eliminating the severe pain I was suffering in those problem joints. The reason I originally went to Dr. Ryu was I kept hearing his name mentioned as an excellent surgeon in the men's locker room at Santa Barbara Athletic Club, where many of his patients are members. I highly recommend Dr. Ryu for any shoulder or knee problems.
in Santa Ynez, CA |
Dr. Ryu repaired my torn Rotator Cuff & torn Bicep Tendon in December 2016. I am 7 months post surgery and about 80% recovered with no pain and 100% range of motion. He is very knowledgeable, professional and an excellent surgeon. Listen carefully to his recovery and rehabilitation instructions and do exactly what he says. Dr. Ryu is adamant about continued strength conditioning to ensure 100% recovery. He is a leader in his field and I would highly recommend him...
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Outstanding in the orthopedic field,tells it like it is! Office staff very professional and friendly and PT personnel that he works with are excellant !
in Santa Maria, CA |
Myself and three of my siblings have had to have shoulder surgery due to dislocations and injuries suffered during sports/physical activity. Dr Ryu has repaired our shoulders and gotten us all back to normal. (Besides a very very slight decrease in mobility, I am 100% healed after just 6 months!) I'd absolutely recommend him! After my injury I got an appointment for the next day. He and his staff is very efficient, be on time to your appointment!
Santa Barbara, CA |
Excellent surgery, recovery and result; completely satisfied.
Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr. Ryu replaced a torn ACL. Ryu is a surgeon who is knowledgeable, precise, in charge, concise, observant, and a partner for the plan and recovery. My job was to listen intently to his instructions and to do what he asked of me-no more, no less, and to bring questions during my visits. Dr. Ryu is fairly direct and I appreciate that about him. Great surgical outcome and recovery experience - highly recommend him for arthroscopic knee repairs. His support staff are terrific as well!
in Santa Barbara CA |
Dr. Ryu removed a very painful bone spur in my shoulder 5 months ago...it had kept me out of the water (surfing) for well over a year and was affecting my sleep. Last week I surfed El Cap for 2 hours w/o any sign of pain or soreness afterward. Also...about 5 years ago he did a knee meniscus repair with similar results...now riding my bike upwards of 100 miles a week. No pain whatsoever. Well done Dr. Ryu!
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Couldn't have picked a better surgeon! His skill, knowledge, and honesty helped me navigate what could have been a very difficult period. I'm grateful to him and his staff (who were also awesome)!
in Goleta |
Dr. Ryu is an amazing orthopedic surgeon (the best in Santa Barbara!) Through diagnosis, surgery, and physical therapy, he helped guide me through the process. My shoulder surgery was somewhat complicated. Nine months later, I am happy to say that I have full strength and range of motion. I really appreciate his knowledge and abilities. His office is a finely tuned machine and I have never had to wait at my appointment.
in Ojai, CA |
I had right knee surgery on nov 29th and it couldnt have gone better. Right knee meniscus artroscopic and in just 5 weeks im returning to work as a printer technician with few restrictions, awesome recovery time from a perfect surgery. Thank you Dr Richard Ryu, simply the best
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr Ryu is simply amazing from a technical, clinical and medical proficiency. He truly cares about the well being of his patients and their return to pre-injury activities. His office is extremely efficient & courteous, When I arrive for an appointment, I am in his examining room on time or early. His explanations of my medical issue are clear, concise with options well presented. He personally called to me post surgery on Easter Sunday to check on me. Quality medical care as its best.
in Los Olivos, CA |
I had major shoulder surgery to repair 3 completely torn rotator cuff tendons, remove bone spurs and arthritis. I am a 58 year old male who suffered from chronic shoulder pain. Dr. Ryu, Vivian and all of his staff are prompt and professional. I am 10 weeks out after surgery and my range of motion is almost complete. Will begin strength exercises in 3 weeks. Cannot thank Dr. Ryu and his staff enough. To go from chronic pain 24/7 to now very little to no pain is a blessing.
in San Luis Obispo, CA |
I will seek Dr. Ryu out if I need another procedure that he specializes in. I went out of my way to request a referral to see Dr. Richard Ryu, MD after witnessing a friends two different shoulder surgeries. I was so impressed with the very small (in size) but tightly run surgery. Clean and friendly. My shoulder is very happy as is my friend. I will, and have, recommend Dr. Ryu!
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr Ryu is highly recommended. He repaired a torn meniscus on my right knee about 15 years ago, and my left a month ago. He also repaired my torn rotator cuff 2 years ago. The efficiency of Dr Ryu and his staff is really amazing. The whole process including office visits, tests, and surgery, is well defined and executed with clockwork precision. Out of my many office visits, I have never waited more than 5 minutes to get in to see him. His explanations have always been clear and concise.
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr. Ryu addressed multiple problems affecting my rotator cuff integrity with arthroscopic surgery. He led me through a comprehensive rehabilitation program and was always available for answering questions. I highly recommend Dr. Ryu for consultation regarding any shoulder issue.
in Santa Barbara, CA |
I got ACL reconstruction surgery with Dr.Ryu in January. After tearing my ACL last October, Dr. Ryu guided me through the planning process and helped me set a surgery date that took into account all of my scheduling conflicts. Needless to say, Dr. Ryu did a fantastic job and made me and my family feel incredibly comfortable and confident throughout the whole process. I am now 7.5 months out and my knee looks and feels good. I am 4 weeks away from full clearance and am quite happy with everything
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Another surgeon diagnosed my shoulder pain as a bone spur. Dr. Ryu correctly diagnosed it as a torn rotator cuff and thus likely kept me from undergoing two procedures instead of one. After the surgery, I watched what he had done on a DVD. He is a master surgeon and an artist at what he does. He is very direct and to the point -- which is what you want in your surgeon. Very professional and he always runs on schedule -- so don't be late!
in Ventura, CA |
I couldn't be more satisfied with my results or more confident in Dr Ryu's skills. I had extensive shoulder surgery in Jan and 6 months later I have full use of my shoulder (with expected lifting precautions) and am pain-free. Several of my co-workers also have had shoulder or knee work done by Dr Ryu with the same level of satisfaction. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone needing knee or shoulder care/surgery. David C. - Ventura, CA
in Santa Barbara California |
After 15 years of driving a bus I ended up with a bone spur in my tendon channel and a torn rotator cuff. Dr. Ryu and his excellent team took great care of me. Would highly recommend Dr. Ryu.
in Santa Barbara, CA |
I had a SLAP tear in the labrum of my dominant shoulder and Dr. Ryu performed the reconstruction. He was very accommodating with his scheduling. He scheduled a Christmas Eve surgery on short notice so that I could have the surgery count on my insurance for that year. He also scheduled a follow-up appointment on a Sunday because my normal timeframe for that appointment fell on a day during his vacation. I would only suggest for him be a little bit more informative during his appointments.
in Ojai, CA |
Dr. Ryu came highy recommended to repair my knee after a skiing accident, and he is simply the best. His knowledge, professionalism and care is superb. His office runs smoothly, is efficient and on time. He will expect you to give your best in physical therapy, which is challenging but for him and the complete recovery of your injury, you will. I whole heartedly recommend Dr. Ryu for any knee or shoulder injury that you may have. He's the best and aren't you worth it?
in Goleta, CA |
Dr. Ryu repaired my torn right rotator cuff. and removed a bone spur in July of 2006. Within a less than a year I was playing tennis again with complete abandon. Just recently, in October, 2016, Dr. Ryu repaired my torn left rotator cuff, upper left arm tendon damage, and removed another bone spur. Now (May 2016) I am hitting with a ball machine once a week and playing a weekly set with friends. My left arm feels great, and I will be playing a 3 set doubles match tomorrow.
in Nipomo, CA |
I have had 2 complete rotator cuff repairs with Dr. Ryu within the past 10 yrs. I have the utmost confidence in his skills and have returned to a pain free life with the ability to function normally following each recovery period. My experience with both surgeries has been extraordinary in every aspect. It has given me the opportunity to tell many of the correct way to run a medical practice with respect and professionalism in treating the patient. Marilyn Clayton, R.N.
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Perhaps the best arthroscopist I ever known. Famous for a reason I suppose. Two separate knee surgeries with excellent results both times. I am very pleased with the service he has provided me.
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr. Ryu knows his stuff and I really appreciated his time and talent. I was never kept waiting because Dr. Ryu respects my time as well as his own. He was always clear in what he wanted me to do and I did it. Why wouldn't I? I went to him because of his reputation, wanted the best, and got it! I'm so happy with my shoulder now...but still do the exercises he told me to do. Thank you so much Dr. Ryu!!!
in Santa Barbara, CA |
Dr Ryu has been our orthopedic surgeon for over 20 yrs, repairing my husband?s knee, our daughter?s leg, my right rotator cuff in 2009 & recently the left. Our injuries were extensive & complicated. Not only did Ryu repair our injuries, he lifted our family?s spirits. I had a 1% chance of healing but did so both times because of his outstanding skill. Ryu is competent, compassionate & 100% focused on patient care. We always choose health insurance that specifically includes Dr Ryu as our doctor
in Santa Maria, CA |
This was my second surgery with Dr. Ryu, and just as successful as the first was, three years ago. Dr. Ryu is very focused on the facts at hand, and resolving the issue. He knows how to diagnose your problem, offer the right solution, and solve the problem. I like dealing with people who are honest, to the point, and lay out a road map that leads to a good outcome, and that is what Dr. Ryu does.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Ryu, MD?
Are you Dr. Ryu?