Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD

Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD

Neurosurgery  ·
Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in San Diego, CA and has been practicing for 26 years. He graduated from University Of California, Davis, School Of Medicine in 1979 and specializes in neurosurgery, neurological skull base surgery, and more.Read his story

3750 Convoy St Ste 301

San Diego, CA 92111

• Anthem Blue Cross
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Health Net

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Ostrup's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Ostrup's Top Procedures and Conditions

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Ostrup treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 96% of his peers

Dr. Ostrup treats this condition more than 96% of his peers

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cervical Disc Degeneration
  • Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Disc Degeneration
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Metastatic Tumors (Brain)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Torticollis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

"My primary job is to educate patients; not recommend surgery."

• Neurosurgery

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ostrup

Dr. Ostrup?
Dr. Ostrup's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD
I only wish I had more of a vocabulary to express what I think and feel about Dr. Ostrup and his team. You could not do what he does if you didn't love what you do. He is a perfectionist ! and he has no less in his team. I always enjoy his waiting room and overhearing what waiting patients mumble about him I actually have had conversations with complete strangers both of us nodding in agreement about his skill and incredible demeanor. Dr. Ostrup is a doctors doctor that says it all !!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
My experience with Dr. Ostrup and his staff has been nothing but positive. I was apprehensive about having surgery and I also worried about the possibility of apathetic staff handling my scheduling and basically my future health. I have been pleasantly surprised at every stage of my evaluation, scheduling, surgery and follow up. Dr. Ostrup and staff do NOT forget about you once you have had surgery. Erica Ebert, practice manager for Dr. Ostrup is nothing short of phenomenal and professional.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) as the victim of a violent crime October 1990 near my home in Carlsbad, CA. I was not expected to live and my late wife was told that if I did survive, I would be a vegetable. Thanks to Dr. Ostrup who performed emergency surgery, I did survive with a positive outcome. I suffer deficits from the TBI but am living a somewhat normal life 27 years later! I appreciate Dr. Ostrup's excellent surgical skills!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Richard Ostrup and his Medical Assistant are by far the strangest medical team I have EVER encountered; they are LAZY and UNPROFESSIONAL. Do your homework before seeing this doctor and his strange assistant Erica. Inquire about their process for obtaining prior approval for diagnostic images (i.e. MRI’s, CT’s, etc.) from Insurance Companies. I’ll bet they answer, “We don’t have one” and “We really don’t care because we don’t have time.”
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Second time I have had a very successful outcome with Dr. Ostrup.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Ostrup met me at the door with a relaxed, upbeat friendly style. He put me at ease from the get go. His confidence and professionalism gave me the support I needed to go through spinal surgery. I inquired with other doctors and nurses about Dr. Ostrup and always received a glowing report. I cannot say enough about his team. They work together beautifully and always made me feel cared for. I would not hesitate to call Dr. Ostrup with any future needs. And yes, my surgery was a success.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Ostrup was referred to me by my medical peers. He performed a laminectomy on L2-L5 due to severe canal stenosis causing compression of the spinal cord. The weakness and pain dramatically improved after surgery. His practice manager, Erica Ebert, was professional, friendly, patient and very efficient in providing all scheduling, paperwork, and necessary information. I highly recommend Dr. Ostrup and his team. There is no one else I would see.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Ostrup and his office manager, Erica, are wonderful! Dr. Ostrup performed a two level ACDF surgery on my neck in early April, 2018. Before I decided to have the surgery, Dr. Ostrup clearly showed me on my MRI what was causing my horrible neck pain. He carefully explained the surgical procedure, and very patiently answered all my questions. I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Dr. Ostrup. And my horrible neck pain is gone!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Ostrup is not only the best surgeon but he is a wonderful person! I can't tell you how thankful I am for how he helped me. I endured over 5 months of chronic sciatic pain that was excruciating! Dr. Ostrup had come highly recommended to me by a friend who spoke highly of him and had the same surgery. When I was at the hospital on the day of my surgery he came in with the kindest most calming presence and I just knew I was in the best hands! I'm so grateful for his expertise and I'm pain free!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Truly, Dr Ostrup, there are no words of gratitude that I can say for what you did for me. You gave me the gift of walking again, after being bed-ridden since the end of August. It was a long journey and Dr. Ostrup you never gave up on me and gave me my wish for Christmas of walking again. You always had a smile for me and hope. The hope you gave me meant a lot to me because it helped me to believe that soon I would be walking. I thanked God for you and your gift of healing.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
October 2017 Dr. Ostrup was highly recommended to me by three physicians I work with. I am so grateful for Dr Ostrup's expertise and his calm and compassionate demeanor. Recovering from back surgery can have its ups and downs. Dr Ostrup has always been 100% encouraging and accommodating throughout my recovery. Erica is the practice manager and is very accessible and efficient with a very friendly personality. They are both a bright light that shines through today's Healthcare System!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
For several years I was in a great amount of pain in my lower back. After exhausting numerous non-surgical treatments over the years I asked for a referral to Dr. Richard Ostrup. From the beginning he was straightforward with me, compassionate, and forthcoming about whether surgery would help me. Consummate professionalism every step of the way. I consider him a gifted surgeon. His practice manager, Erica Ebert, was wonderful to work with, and patiently helped me through the entire process. I am
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
DR. Ostrup is very professional, kind, personable, and came highly recommended to me, even from Neurologist out of state. He relayed every sequence of events that would, and will occur with me reference my procedure, and recovery. DR. Ostrup, his assistant Erica, and all of the other Docs. involved with my surgery were fabulous, and treated my family very well while I was in surgery, and post op. There are not enough words to explain how grateful we are for Dr. Ostrup. God Bless him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
I had cervical spine surgery 2 years ago. Dr. Ostrip was awesome. I have been able to resume almost all of my activities with little or no pain.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
After a visit with Dr. Ostrup, my wife and I were very well informed of my condition and the surgical procedure recommended. Dr. Ostrup provided excellent detail and a clear understanding of all aspects related to the surgery and recovery. Erica Ebert, his Practice Manager, was also very instrumental in the coordination of the surgery and all the appointments. Both of them have great personalities and are fun to talk to, yet being very professional and helpful in all aspects. Success! Thanks!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
My husband had lost some feeling in his limbs and numbing from the waist down. He was referred to a Neurologist, I picked Dr Ostrup based on my research. Best decision ever, my husband is almost 100% back to normal. This doctor is amazing, caring, and actually talks to his patients, not has an assistant do it. If you want the best neurosurgeon, and one that actually is with you the whole time and does an amazing job, Dr Ostrup is the doctor. We are so grateful to have found him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Richard Ostrup was a highly recommended referral for my degenerative spondylolisthesis. I was experiencing severe pain & losing the ability to walk & use my legs. Dr. Ostrup performed a laminectory spondylolisthesis. My pain is gone & I am now able to walk without a walker or a cane & am not in need of pain medication. Dr. Ostrup is an exceptional neurosurgeon who is realistic and compassionate. His practice manager, Erica is remarkably kind & proficient.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
An outstanding physician with blessed hands and great bed side manner. My husband got in a motorcycle accident March 3, 2016 which as a result left him with C1 C2 fracture. Dr. Ostrup performed a spinal fusion which thanks to him and God he is alive today. I would defiantly take my mom to Dr. OSTRUP if she ever needed too and that sayshe enough.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr Ostrup performed a three level cervical fusion on me in a five hour surgery. To my surprise I was ready to go home the next day and Dr Ostrup concurred. Since then I have only taken probably five of the prescribed pain pills and an occasioal Tylenol. Excellent results. Great surgeon. Highly recommend!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Ostrup, MD?
Dr. Ostrup is an amazing surgeon. I was in a trauma situation and was a little apprehensive as anyone would be wondering who would be performing my surgery. I am so happy it was Dr. Ostrup! He was kind and patient with my wife and I through the entire process from pre-surgery options, to the actual surgery, and at all our follow-up visits. He was also very thorough and professional in my treatment. I am certainly grateful he was my surgeon and I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Ostrup?

Insurance accepted

Community Care Network HMO
Employer Group HMO
SmartCare HMO
WholeCare Network HMO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Medical Mutual of Ohio
Sharp Health Plan
Blue Choice
Gold Value
Health Premier

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Ostrup treats patients.