Dr. Richard Nachwalter, MD

Dr. Richard Nachwalter, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Nachwalter is the author of two spine book chapters in press as well as four articles in peer review journals regarding spinal surgery and several abstracts. He has presented over 40 medical presentations and poster exhibits and has participated in course faculty.

131 Madison Ave Ste 110

• EmblemHealth
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Nachwalter

See how frequently Dr. Nachwalter performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc Surgery
Spinal Fusion
Spondylolisthesis

Dr. Nachwalter's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Nachwalter "Away from his practice, he maintains ties to current research and practices through his memberships in the North American Spine Society, The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, The New Jersey Orthopedic Society and the Medical Society of New Jersey.  Dr. Nachwalter has also been the recipient of numerous Healing Hand Awards and ACE awards."

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Broken Neck
  • Bunion
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Surgery
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1994
  • University Hospital Stony Brook
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1995
  • University Hospital Stony Brook
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1999
  • Thomas Jefferson University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Nachwalter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Nachwalter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Nachwalter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Nachwalter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Nachwalter to family and friends
4.0
Dr. Nachwalter Says:

Thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback.

Dr. Nachwalter's Performance
in East Orange,Nj |
Hi I'm very happy to share my experience with a great surgeon in Mr Richard Nachwalter he perform an L3 L4 microdiscectomy on my lower back and I have to say am very impressed I was up walking around my room the very next day he is also a very caring person outside of work he paid a visit to me the next day to see how I felt and to offer me an extended stay if I felt I needed it. Mr Nachwalter also has an excellent staff always treating me and my family with a warm welcome recommended A+++++????
Nutley, NJ |
I was recently diagnosed with a severely herniated disc in my L5 /S1 Lumbar. I was in excruciating pain down my entire left leg and unable to stand or sit. Dr Nachwalter performed a micro-discectomy within a few days of seeing my MRI results. Within minutes after the procedure in the recovery room, the pain in my left leg was gone. I would trust and recommend Dr Nachwalter to anyone without hesitation.
in Pine Brook nj |
I met Doctor Nachwalter through a workers comp case upon my first visit with him he and his staff projected nothing but the absolute epitome of professionalism. Doctor Nachwalter found that I had been walking around with a fractured spine for three years something several other doctors overlooked. Doctor Nachwalter performed a fusion surgery on me on 8/18/2017 and not even a month after the surgery I am able to walk and stand with out fear and pain for the first time in three years. Thankyou.
in Brooklyn, NY |
I had spinal surgery and I'm doing quite well
New York, NY |
Amazing, knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it.
in Livingston, NJ |
I was abused by the idiots at workers comp and Garden State Orthopedics for months. I was recommended to Dr. Nachwalter and within a week no more pain.
Dr. Nachwalter was straight forward with diagnoses and options for successful pain relief from lumbar cyst. Surgery went well with no more nerve pain down leg.
in Chathams, NJ |
I was in such pain I couldn't sit, bend or sleep. Getting in & out of the car was the worst. The herniated disc along with the sciatic pain was excruciating. After X-ray & MRI Dr. Nachwalter diagnosed the issue and promptly took care of it through surgery. The office staff is highly efficient. Never waited more than 5 minutes to be seen. And didn't need any pain killers after surgery & am pain free. I am so grateful. Thank you.
Denville, NJ |
Dr. Nachwalter is wonderful!!. When my husband had sciatica, he was able to quickly diagnose the problem. He clearly explained the issue and how he would treat it. His billing assistant Lilly jumped through hoops for us and was able to get the surgery approved without all the ¨conservative treatment¨ the doctor knew would not help. The surgery was a success, and the sciatica was cured. Dr. Nachwalter visited every day, answered all our questions and was a pleasure to work with.
in Cedar Grove, NJ |
After 4 years of back and sciatic pain, I decided to finally get surgery at age 37. After doing my due diligence and visiting over 10 surgeons in both New Jersey and Manhattan, I felt confident that Dr Nachwalter was my surgeon of choice. Not only did I find Dr Nachwalter to be professional, confident and come highly recommended, I liked his honesty the most. He is not the “rush to surgery” type of surgeon. After a few consolations and diagnostic shots, we collectively came to the conclusion tha
in Somerville, NJ |
I got hurt at work I was going through Workmen's Comp. after I want to the company doctor January to April nobody can figure out what was wrong with me I go to this doctor within two weeks of him giving me surgery and he found out what was wrong He fixed me right up I can't stand call once again on my own 2 feet with no more pain this doctor is the best
in Irvington, NJ |
Dr Richard Nachwalter is a very good Orthopedic Surgeon, He did a fantastic surgery on my lower back,and I would like to recommend him to anyone who has a lower back injury He would take the time to explain the procedure to your understanding, his patience and his killer smile,will take away all your fears may God God increase and reward him with knowledge and wisdom
in Parsippany, NJ |
I had back trouble for 8 years and tried everything. I went to see Dr. Nachwalter and we determined that surgery may be the answer. He was very honest about the level of improvement that I could expect. His knowledge of the most current trends in his field showed he clearly kept up with the latest improvements and he knew all the statistics on effectiveness of treatment. The resuIts were better than I expected. I was dancing at my son's wedding 4 weeks and on a European cruise 6 weeks after.
in n.j. |
This guys a very good surgeon and very knowledgable.I HAD A REVISION FUSION OF MY LOWER SPINE DONE AND I MUST SAY ,IF NOT FOR HIM I THINK ID BE DEAD OR AT LEAST IN A WHEEL CHAIR!1ty dr rich
in Parsippany, NJ |
Dr. Nachwalter did a wonderful job. My severe leg pain was relieved right after surgery. He explained in detail what was done during the surgery. He even called a few days later to see how I was. Staff was excellent. Lily, Debbie and Melissa. Thank you. I would highly recommend Dr. Nachwalter
in Fanwood, NJ |
I highly recommend Dr. Nachwalter, in fact I already have to a friend who has had issues with her back for years. He answered all my questions, did a tremendous job and understood my goals.
in Flanders, NJ |
I went to Dr. Nachwalter a year-in-a-half after another surgeon operated on my cervical spine. I was in constant pain and it affected everything. He was very forthright and explained everything to me in detail. A few days after my surgery my voice came back and the pain down my arm was gone. I was out of pain. I managed my post-op using only Tylenol. I’m having another procedure by Dr. Nachwalter and I’m confident it will be a success. The office staff is nice and professional too.
Rockaway, NJ |
Excellent surgeon, My pain level had gone down immediately after surgery, I feel much better after having surgery.
in Hackettstown, NJ |
Very much to the point. Proceeded with my issues in a timely manner. Completed what needed to be done with zero complications
in Long valley, nj |
Dr Nachwalter performed a spinal fusion and a laminectomy. I felt relief within two days. Surgery/recovery is going right on schedule. I would highly recommend him. Staff is extremely fast with reaching out to insurance for me so I didn't have to worry about it. I think more pamphlets on what to expect would be more helpful, but that's my only critique.
Roseland, NJ |
Dr. Nachwalter is compassionate and the best back surgeon in NJ. I was hesitant about lumber laminectomy surgery, but all conservative treatment failed. Dr. Nachwalter, explained procedure thoroughly, answered all my questions and returned my phone calls as I was anxious about the surgery. Back surgery is complicated and only a top notch highly skilled surgeon like Dr. Nachwalter should be your first choice. He works out of Morristown Medical Center, another important point, clean and 5 star
in Denville, NJ |
He takes his time to thoroughly explain all information about diagnosis, treatment and procedures, answers all questions for both patients and family members.
in Union, NJ |
Due to a workers compensation claim from a injury in a motor vehicle accident, I was referred to Dr. Nachwalter in January 2016. He was very knowledgeable and understanding about my severe lower back injury. After months of going through protocol with various tests and being in a significant amount of back pain, he had no other choice but to proceed with a spinal fusion and disc replacement in July 2016. Now, almost 3 months post op, my pain is gone. I would highly recommend Dr. Nachwalter!!
in South Plainfield, NJ |
Dr. Nachwalter from the very first visit was respectful, thorough, and forthright. I came to see Dr.Nachwalter from a workers comp issue and I traveled from South Plainfield . What a pleasent surprise to have ended up at his office.His staff is always professional and flexible. I had the surgery with him at the very best and cleanest Morristown Medical Center. If you have back pain don't suffer any longer go to his office and make the first step and see for yourself.
in New York, NY |
Tremendous knowledge and great patience, surgery is never his first choice, but if needed I trust his skill.....
in New Jersey |
Dr Nachwalter is very informative and takes time to listen to your problems and I would recommend him as a very good dr to see for any spine problems .
in Clifton, NJ |
Dr. Nachwalter takes his time talking with his patients and really cares about them. I had the bolts removed from my back in October and I am healing. I was never rushed for appointments and staff is professional \friendly. I would highly recommend Dr. Nachwalter for a spinal surgeon.
in Clark, NJ |
It has been six months since my surgery and I am able to stand upright, walk without pain or numbness in my legs and have returned to a normal life that I had been missing for a couple of years. Dr. Nachwalter was direct, confident and knowledgeable in the pre-surgery discussions, attentive and reassuring during the surgery/hospitalization process and in all the follow ups. I would recommend him to anyone.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Nachwalter, MD?
Are you Dr. Nachwalter?