Dr. Richard Murray, MD

Dr. Richard Murray, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 44

Neurosurgery

Dr. Richard Murray, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Arlington, VA. Dr. Murray has extensive experience in Cranial Neurosurgery. He is affiliated with medical facilities Reston Hospital Center and Virginia Hospital Center. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Virginia Neurosurgeons

Joseph J. Buchino MD & Associates Psc1625 N George Mason Dr Arlington, VA 22205

Hospital Highlight

Affiliated with Reston Hospital Center Reston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Reston Hospital Center

Dr. Murray's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Murray

Dr. Murray

great doctor and explains the situation clearly
MRI showed brain tumor, made an appointment ASAP performed surgery within two months
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
May 04, 2022
Remarkable
My husband and I was really impressed with Dr. Murray from the first visit, we knew we were in good hands. He was patient, he listened up until the day my husband had his surgery. The care he gave was consistent, it never change. The surgery was a success and he did a awesome job with the cut on my husbands head. My husband told me before his surgery he trusted Dr. Murray and he knew he would be okay after his surgery and he was right. He also have a outstanding team in his office, they were always polite and help us through the process especially Anne. Thank you guys for all you do!!!!
Shirlene Johnson – May 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Get the peach sized tumor off my brain!
Dr Murray and his staff could not have more professional. They updated me every step of the way which is so important when going through major brain surgery. Dr Murray thoroughly explained the surgery and what to expect. I feel very lucky that Dr Murray practices in Arlington and that I was able to get him, and his staff, on my team.
Michael Scot Harlan – May 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I’m writing to you today because I was a patient at your hospital for an acoustic neuroma surgery with Dr Murray, Dr Monfared & team from September 27 - September 30th 2021. I started my journey about a month prior when I received the initial ENT diagnosis. After identifying a number of surgeons up and down the East Coast with this expertise, your team of Drs. Monfared and Murray were noted on multiple occasions as some of the best in the Nation. My wife Lisa and I met with Dr. Monfared in late August at his office in Reston and proceeded to meet with Dr. Murray a week later. After the these two meetings, we were so convinced that they were exceptional surgeons with incredible experience, knowledge, emotional intelligence and empathy that we canceled all other future meetings at various other hospital The experience was exceptional considering major surgery & within 1m on this was 90+ %
Scott – Apr 29, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Achieved medical objective in a caring, professional manner.
Apr 07, 2022
always
there's no one like him. He's kind, patient, professional and thorough.
Apr 07, 2022
Excellent care
Dr. Murray was caring, careful, and thoroughly professional. He formed a fantastic team with Dr. Ashkan Monfared (neurotologist) to remove a large brain tumor (acoustic neuroma) in June 2021. This was a stressful time for me and my family, but we all felt better knowing that I had two of the top neurosurgeons in the country doing the surgery. Dr. Murray and his team at the Virginia Hospital Center were patient with all of our questions and explained all of my options carefully. The surgery was very successful and I've recovered well. Dr. Murray continues to provide care through regular post-op appointments to ensure everything is healing well. I highly recommend him and VHC. He is in great demand, so scheduling can take time, but he was able to fit me in quickly for the needed surgery. I'm so glad we found him.
Mar 06, 2022
Outstanding Care
Dr. Murray is a phenomenal doctor. In the last 2 years I’ve needed surgery twice in my pituitary gland. Every time I visit with Dr. Murray, he intently and kindly listens to my all concerns and is very knowledgeable in his responses. Never once has he pushed aside or brushed away how I was feeling or my concerns. He treats you like a person, not like a number on a page. He is quick to respond and is kind and gentle. He is able to break explanations into simple terms so even non-medical people, such as myself, can understand what is going on. He never talks down or act like he is above you. I always look forward to my appointments because I know the care I will be receiving. The only critique I have is the office staff. They can be frustrating to work with. But I can overlook it because I appreciate the high level of care Dr. Murray is able to give.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Emily R – Feb 02, 2022
Outstanding Surgeon
Not only is Dr. Murray an accomplished surgeon, he is also attentive and thoughtful in his post-op care. I feel very grateful to him for his professionalism, and I enthusiastically recommend him and his staff for the excellent care that I received.
Mary Mytryshyn – Feb 02, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I've only had the one brain tumor, so I don't have anyone to compare him to, but I would say Dr. Murray is THE BEST! He answered all of my questions (and I had a lot).
Sharyn Horowitz – Jan 21, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I could not recommend any doctor more highly. Dr. Murray was brought in last minute to do remove my husband's brain tumor (GBM) and I am eternally grateful he was. He answered all my questions and took time to walk me though the surgery in preop. He continued to care for my husband during his cancer with amazing compassion and bedside manner. He even left his family dinner one night ti advocate for my husband in the ER when I begged him to step in. He is superb surgeon - all the doctors that reviewed his initial tumor excision remarked on what a stellar job he had done. Sadly practically nobody survives late stage brain cancer including my husband but Dr. Murray was a rare shining light in the medical nightmare we endured and I will be forever grateful for his care.
Mrs. Tom Loftis – Sep 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
After two neurologists recommended that I see him (neither suggested a second option), Dr. Murray performed surgery on my lumbar spine to treat severe stenosis. The operation was a success: three months later I have no pain and am getting stronger every day. Moreover, at every step in the process—pre-op reviews of various tests, explanations of the surgery to be performed, daily in-hospital visits, indications of self-care once home, recommendation of an outstanding physical therapist, and communication with my other physicians—Dr. Murray proved the peerless professional. It was also a pleasure to deal with his staff—physician’s assistants, scheduler, and receptionist. In summary, a wonderful experience,
Judith Navarro – May 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I would absolutely recommend Dr. Murray to my friends and family. I worked as a perioperative nurse at VHC for 35 years. And although I never had the pleasure of working with Dr. Murray personally, I must say that from my experience in working with many different neurosurgeons through the years that he strikes me as one of the most competent and professional specialists that I have come into contact with.
Frances Shelton – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Richard Murray and his team was and is AMAZING! Dr. Murray really shows the best care and compassion to his patients. His staff is very helpful and kind. I was so nervous about my condition and the surgery itself but Dr. Murray and his Nurse really catered to every feeling and concern. Even After my surgery I received the same care and professional treatment for my follow ups. I give Dr. Murray and his staff a 100%. I would recommend him and his staff. His knowledge, compassion, attentiveness etc is beyond measure Thank you Dr. Murray for everything I truly and genuinely thank you from the bottom of my heart
Nina lashley – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
As I stated on my Google Review, Dr. Murray has handled very difficult and ongoing health issues with my son, and has shown compassion and attentiveness. I consider his service and competence as impeccable. My son has now embarked on a more positive direction in life because of him.
Steven Schoepke – Apr 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray explained my options with my spine issue. He is very knowledgeable and was able to ease my concerns. I liked his conservative approach and extremely pleased with the results of my surgery. I would definitely seek him out again for any future spinal issues.
Carl Morgan – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Absolutely! Dr. Murray is a caring and highly competent professional. A difficult situation like brain surgery can weight anyone down, but if you have Dr. Murray as your surgeon you have nothing to worry about. During my first appointment he took a lot of time explaining the diagnosis, describing options, and providing a recommendation for the best course of action. We also thoroughly discussed the recovery process in and out of the hospital. Everything went as he predicted with the surgery and recovery. He and his staff constantly checked on me and were very responsive to my needs. The scar on my head is almost invisible. In summary, Dr. Murray is a superb physician who provides excellent care to his patients.
J. Ithier – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray knows his job, the operation that was performed on work the way it was suppose to, made me feel be better then I have in a long time. I will be going back to him. The staff are wonderful, they care and help anyway they can. Thanks to a grate bunch of caring people. Thank you
Don Stanley – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
My experience with Dr. Murray is that he is a very knowledgeable and focused neurosurgeon who takes the time to listen and explain in plain English what course of action is required. I was referred to Dr. Murray based on a diagnosis of a schwannoma in the spinal canal. Dr. Murray carefully reviewed with me all relevant diagnostic information and his detailed surgical plan that would remove the schwannoma and correct any related damage to the lower spine. His skill as a surgeon is clearly evident in the success of my recovery. Also a key factor is Dr. Murray’s detailed supervision through each stage of my hospital and post-hospital recovery period. If neurosurgery is indicated then Dr. Murray should be your first contact.
Joe B - November 2020 – Dec 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I met Dr. Murray the day after I was diagnosed with a large and challenging acoustic neuroma that was pushing on my brainstem. He is incredibly knowledgeable and confident with an absolutely wonderful bedside manner. Both he and Dr. Monfared, ENT surgeon who assisted, made me feel as though I was in the absolute best hands from the very beginning. They truly care about their patients and their recovery. He did not sugar coat the seriousness of my case and fully prepared us for all possibilities as well as provided me with resources to help support my preparation for surgery and recovery. The results of the surgery and recovery were far beyond our expectations. The staff in his office were also great to work with. Jessica was incredibly helpful and communicative as I prepared for surgery and months after the surgery as I recovered and navigated returning to work.
Liz Cannon – Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Murray?