Dr. Richard Murray, MD

Dr. Richard Murray, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 43

Telehealth services available

Dr. Richard Murray, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Arlington, VA. Dr. Murray has more experience with Pediatric Neurosurgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Reston Hospital Center and Novant Health Uva Health Haymarket Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Murray to book an appointment.

Virginia Neurosurgeons

Joseph J. Buchino MD & Associates Psc1625 N George Mason Dr Arlington, VA 22205

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Murray is affiliated with Reston Hospital Center Reston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Reston Hospital Center

Dr. Murray's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Murray

Dr. Murray?
After two neurologists recommended that I see him (neither suggested a second option), Dr. Murray performed surgery on my lumbar spine to treat severe stenosis. The operation was a success: three months later I have no pain and am getting stronger every day. Moreover, at every step in the process—pre-op reviews of various tests, explanations of the surgery to be performed, daily in-hospital visits, indications of self-care once home, recommendation of an outstanding physical therapist, and communication with my other physicians—Dr. Murray proved the peerless professional. It was also a pleasure to deal with his staff—physician’s assistants, scheduler, and receptionist. In summary, a wonderful experience,
Judith Navarro – May 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I would absolutely recommend Dr. Murray to my friends and family. I worked as a perioperative nurse at VHC for 35 years. And although I never had the pleasure of working with Dr. Murray personally, I must say that from my experience in working with many different neurosurgeons through the years that he strikes me as one of the most competent and professional specialists that I have come into contact with.
Frances Shelton – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Richard Murray and his team was and is AMAZING! Dr. Murray really shows the best care and compassion to his patients. His staff is very helpful and kind. I was so nervous about my condition and the surgery itself but Dr. Murray and his Nurse really catered to every feeling and concern. Even After my surgery I received the same care and professional treatment for my follow ups. I give Dr. Murray and his staff a 100%. I would recommend him and his staff. His knowledge, compassion, attentiveness etc is beyond measure Thank you Dr. Murray for everything I truly and genuinely thank you from the bottom of my heart
Nina lashley – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
As I stated on my Google Review, Dr. Murray has handled very difficult and ongoing health issues with my son, and has shown compassion and attentiveness. I consider his service and competence as impeccable. My son has now embarked on a more positive direction in life because of him.
Steven Schoepke – Apr 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray explained my options with my spine issue. He is very knowledgeable and was able to ease my concerns. I liked his conservative approach and extremely pleased with the results of my surgery. I would definitely seek him out again for any future spinal issues.
Carl Morgan – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Absolutely! Dr. Murray is a caring and highly competent professional. A difficult situation like brain surgery can weight anyone down, but if you have Dr. Murray as your surgeon you have nothing to worry about. During my first appointment he took a lot of time explaining the diagnosis, describing options, and providing a recommendation for the best course of action. We also thoroughly discussed the recovery process in and out of the hospital. Everything went as he predicted with the surgery and recovery. He and his staff constantly checked on me and were very responsive to my needs. The scar on my head is almost invisible. In summary, Dr. Murray is a superb physician who provides excellent care to his patients.
J. Ithier – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray knows his job, the operation that was performed on work the way it was suppose to, made me feel be better then I have in a long time. I will be going back to him. The staff are wonderful, they care and help anyway they can. Thanks to a grate bunch of caring people. Thank you
Don Stanley – Apr 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
My experience with Dr. Murray is that he is a very knowledgeable and focused neurosurgeon who takes the time to listen and explain in plain English what course of action is required. I was referred to Dr. Murray based on a diagnosis of a schwannoma in the spinal canal. Dr. Murray carefully reviewed with me all relevant diagnostic information and his detailed surgical plan that would remove the schwannoma and correct any related damage to the lower spine. His skill as a surgeon is clearly evident in the success of my recovery. Also a key factor is Dr. Murray’s detailed supervision through each stage of my hospital and post-hospital recovery period. If neurosurgery is indicated then Dr. Murray should be your first contact.
Joe B - November 2020 – Dec 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I met Dr. Murray the day after I was diagnosed with a large and challenging acoustic neuroma that was pushing on my brainstem. He is incredibly knowledgeable and confident with an absolutely wonderful bedside manner. Both he and Dr. Monfared, ENT surgeon who assisted, made me feel as though I was in the absolute best hands from the very beginning. They truly care about their patients and their recovery. He did not sugar coat the seriousness of my case and fully prepared us for all possibilities as well as provided me with resources to help support my preparation for surgery and recovery. The results of the surgery and recovery were far beyond our expectations. The staff in his office were also great to work with. Jessica was incredibly helpful and communicative as I prepared for surgery and months after the surgery as I recovered and navigated returning to work.
Liz Cannon – Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr Murray removed a brain stem tumor in July of 2018. He tells the facts, is personable and always available. He makes you comfortable during appointments and never rushes you. He also allowed my husband and daughter to ask all the questions they had to their/my satisfaction. I highly recommend Dr Murray for cranial neurosurgery.
Nanette Hoback – Apr 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Richard Murray is simply put the best . He is consistently rated a top (skull based ) neurosurgeon in the DC metro area.
Aug 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
If you're looking for a neurosurgeon look no further, Dr. Richard Murray and his team are exceptional! He takes his time, listens to the patient, looks at all MRIs & xrays before he formulates the best plan of action. Dr. Murray is friendly, speaks in terms a non medical person can understand, and a great surgeon! My fiance and I highly recommend him.
Grey and Gina in Alexandria, VA – Jun 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray is a wonderful doctor and surgeon. His bed side manner is impeccable. He tells you like it is no pretenses just the truth and how he can make your life better without pain.
Sheldon Fowler in VA – May 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray performed surgery along with Neurotology surgeon to remove facial schwanoma and everything went very well. Dr. Murray is very responsive and makes sure his staff contacted me in case of anything that needs to be followed up. I highly recommend him.
Mar 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
I am very thankful that I decided to choose Dr. Murray for my procedure. I had an benign osteoma on my forehead for years (out of fear) and had it removed this year by Dr. Murray. I've had this procedure done before as a child by another Dr. Unlike the 1st time, I felt almost no pain during the entire procedure and it is healing up nicely. He was very friendly to me and my family which made us more comfortable.
Isaac Crumpton in Woodbridge, VA – May 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Richard Murray is a phenomenal neurosurgeon. He performed a craniotomy on me to remove a brain tumor and was professional, informative--and most of all--highly successful! I am very fortunate to have someone with his exceptional skill, knowledge, capability and kind disposition.
Ron Goins in Arlington, VA – Jun 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray is fantastic. He was very thorough with his explanation of upcoming procedures and how everything would play out in the future. His whole staff was very helpful and got us answers immediately with all and any concerns we had.
Lorton, VA – May 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Kind, intelligent, punctual and informative.
lnh in Annandale, VA – Jan 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Dr. Murray is wonderful, skilled, kind, caring. I could not have found a surgeon better qualified to do the 2-part surgery my spine issues required. I highly recommend Dr. Murray for anyone considering ALIF and/or PLIF procedures at VHC. Followup has been top notch. What a blessing it has been to have found this fine neurosurgeon.
Janet D in Arlington, VA – Dec 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?
Focused, knowledgeable and caring.
James van Buren in Arlington, VA – Dec 26, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Murray, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Murray?

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Frequently Treated by Dr. Murray

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Murray treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Murray treats other conditions, please contact the office at .

Pediatric Neurosurgery

Pediatric neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures to treat diseases and conditions of the brain and spinal cord in children and teenagers under age 18.Compare with other Pediatric Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Murray is experienced in the area of Pediatric Neurosurgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

Check Dr. Murray's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Murray's conditions and procedures:

• Acoustic Neuroma
  • Aneurysm
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thrombosis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Dr. Murray accepts

Dr. Murray accepts the following insurance:

Select