Dr. Richard Martin, MD

Rheumatology ·  Male · Age 59

Dr. Martin

West Michigan Rheumatology

1155 E Paris Ave SE Ste 100 Grand Rapids, MI 49546

Dr. Richard Martin, MD is a rheumatology specialist in Grand Rapids, MI and has been practicing for 33 years. He graduated from Michigan State University College Of Human Medicine in 1986 and specializes in rheumatology.

Dr. Martin accepts

Dr. Martin accepts the following insurance:

Priority Health
Priority PPO
Spectrum Health

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Michigan

Check Dr. Martin's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
  • Bleeding Disorders
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Classic Polyarteritis Nodosa
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Felty's Syndrome
  • Fever
  • Goodpasture's Disease
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Juvenile Chronic Arthritis
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Swelling
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Hands
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
  • Polymyositis

2.4

Dr. Martin?
Dr. Martin's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Richard Martin, MD
I found D r Martin arrogant, rude and condescending. He spends most of his time talking about himself and how important he is and very little time trying to help his patient. I would not recommend him to anyone. He was horrible. Just horrible.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I would not recommend Dr. Martin to anyone even if he were the last Rheumatologist on earth. I am shocked he is still able to practice medicine! He will talk over you, argue with you about your symptoms, put down fellow peers including his own nursing staff. He is the most arrogant doctor I have ever met! He talks non stop about himself and about other patients, how do I know he is not talking about me to other patients? Dr Martin was so rude I left in tears, I have since found a new Dr.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Richard Martin is very rude, inconsiderate and condescending. He also is not honest about what he puts in his notes on patient's records. I DO NOT recommend him for Rheumatology. He should not be practicing in medicine and needs his license taken away.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I seen Dr Martin on October 22, 2018 for my RA checkup where he told me that he would be calling my order for Humeria . November 2 ,2018 I received a phone from my Pharmacy telling that Dr Martin failed order my Humeria . I called doctor Dr Martin to see why my Humeria weren't ordered was told that they didn't a record of my TB test results. Finally got call from Dr Martins' office telling me that were set to my Humeria but his office closed before they got it ordered failing my needs
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I've been seeing Dr. Martin for over a year and with each appointment I have high hopes that he will care about me as a patient, unfortunately he spends the majority of every appointment talking about himself and what a fabulous doctor he is, how much he is published, how bad other doctors are, how “horrible” our government is, and about other patients… YES, he talks about other patients, especially if they take pain meds, like opioids or narcotics. I couldn't believe he was telling me that!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I wouldn’t recommend this doctor at all. No amount of schooling or credentials can make up for his pompous and rude attitude. The way he speaks to others is demeaning and I can see why it’s costing him patients. If you don’t like your career, retire for the wellbeing of the patients! Glad he is no longer “treating” me.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Seen him for years and, while he used to be very proactive and responsive, he has stopped providing adequate care. He does not touch or look at my joints, continuing to insist that I do not have active arthritis. I follow all instructions, but am not getting any relief from my pain. Scare tactics have been used to discourage me from asking for adequate care -even offering me my patient charts. The office staff used to be so kind, polite, and caring, but that has not been the case in a few years.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I would NOT recommend this man to any one. Please do not waste your time. I can’t even begin to explain how he treated me. He is the most condescending, egotistical man I have ever known. He disagreed with a Doctor I had seen in Arizona, on the other hand, he would not give me a diagnosis. And he will tell you how good he is. Well, he may have a lot of knowledge, however, it is wasted on his bedside manner. I do not need to pay a Doctor to treat me like that. And he says he hates Medicare.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Dr. Martin told me that I do not have the condition that I have been diagnosed with. He used scare tactics about death & hospitalization to convince me to discontinue Remicade, which has controlled my symptoms remarkably for 5 years. He ranted about Priority Health, Spectrum Health & other rheumatologists in the area, claimed I had probably been prescribed Remicade for kickbacks,, & also admitted he is uncomfortable treating me because I am transgender. He is appallingly unprofessional.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Phone staff are abrupt and adversarial. Was unable to schedule to see or talk to doctor.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Dr. Martin made a bad impression on me. Even though he barely looked at me, he disputed the diagnosis made by my previous rheumatologist (who was painstakingly methodical in her approach to my diagnosis). "I've treated thousands of people with **," he said. "And you do not have **." I attempted to discuss my symptoms and medical history, but he talked over me, argued, condescended, maligned his peers, and complained about Obamacare. In short, he was a smug jerk. Not recommended.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Martin when my previous rheumatologist left his practice. After a very brief discussion and exam, he proceeded to tell me he didn't think I had the condition I had been diagnosed with previously and said my rheumatologist was "not a good doctor...blah, blah, blah." At that point, he started whining about his 28% cut in pay with Obamacare. He was extremely unprofessional, very arrogant and suggested I take Tylenol for my pain. I would suggest he make a career change.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Dr Martin has always taken the time to explain both conditions and treatment options with me. To the extent of having me even look into the microscope to understand gout crystals. He has also taken the time to show me images and relevant case histories on the internet. He has made it clear that I can call his office any time between appointments for treatment and pain relief. I appreciate his professionalism and focus on patient outcomes.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Martin for several years with no relief. My last apt I brought in my wife as a patient advocate and he had a real problem with her asking questions. He made sure to read off his resume and explain why he was the best of the best. Does not allow for reasonable amount of time for apts, shares political views and does a lot more talking than listening.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
He did not take time to really listen to me. He is a bit abrupt as well.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Dr. Martin was honest and frank. Sometimes that's hard to take but yet so appreciated...he's sure of what he knows but also able to set aside his ego and admit that what's going on is outside of his expertise and urged us to seek other help and pointed us in the direction we should proceed in. He was extremely helpful and caring in getting us a date to Mayo Clinic that was six weeks ahead of our previous appointment. My son and I a very grateful to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?
Although I'm sure Dr Martin has all the experience and knowledge, as he made sure to repeatedly to point out, he would serve his patients much better to actually listen to what they have to say. He did not hear what I had to say at all. I left his office in tears. I had heard the same about him from a coworker who sees another physician there, but I tried to go in with an open mind. What a complete waste of time.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Martin, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Martin?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Martin treats patients.

Holland Hospital