Dr. Richard Kim, MD

Neurosurgery ·  Male · Age 56

Dr. Kim

Dr. Richard Kim, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Newport Beach, CA and has been practicing for 21 years. He graduated from Saint Louis University School of Medicine in 1990 and specializes in neurosurgery, cerebrovascular disorders, and more.

Make an appointment

Dr. Kim accepts

Dr. Kim accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
Advantage Preferred DirectAccess Plus PPO
Select Plus HMO
Select PPO

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Kim's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Obstructive Hydrocephalus
Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

Dr. Kim treats Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus more than 87% of his peers

Dr. Kim treats this condition more than 87% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
high

Dr. Kim treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 85% of his peers

Dr. Kim treats this condition more than 85% of his peers

• Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Epidural Hematoma
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

26.19047619047619%

Dr. Kim?
Dr. Kim's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Richard Kim, MD
Dr. Kim is amazing! When I had severe pain going down my left leg, I knew something wasn't right. I contacted my neurologist whom ordered a MRI. I was called immediately to contact a surgeon. I did not hesitate to contact Dr. Kim whom did my neck surgery six years prior with great results. When I brought in my MRI, he shared with me that I had had apiece of my disc break off and go into a nerve, in another disc area. Surgery was a must because I couldn't even lift my leg. Within a week of my d
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim and his team were amazing! From the first consult to the surgery and post op recovery, everything went according to plan! It has now been 5 weeks since my surgery and I could not be happier with my recovery. My pain is gone and the numbness in my right leg is gone! Thank you very much! Gary Kelley
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim is a very through and confident doctor who answers your questions and empowers you to make critical decisions. He is also respectful and takes your input seriously. His confidence gives me confidence!! I trust the advice he is giving me! His office coordinator Amanda is awesome and takes care of all paperwork and patient needs immediately!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim and Amanda are the best! I'm really glad I was referred to this practice.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Do not use this doctor. Get another opinion. His immediate suggestion was spine surgery when I was cured with physical therapy. Even an epidural would have been better than his suggestion to go through the front of my throat to get to my spine. I had 3 doctors say he was too eager to do surgery.
Hello, It's apparent to me that we did not...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Richard B. Kim is the right hand of God. It's is just the way I feel. He is not only a kind, patient, soothing, comforting physician, he actually listens to the patient, something that is rare. He understood my frustration of finding a doctor that would actually help me, as I had been "turfed" by 5 others who didn't want to even touch the mess. He also kept my brother alive 9 years longer, due to his skilled surgery and a Clinical trial he got him into. I am forever grateful for that.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Awesome results on the surgery that Dr. Kim performed on me recently. I have suffered for thirty plus years with chronic pain in my back and legs. Dr Kim relieved my pain completely which has improved my quality of life. I wish I had found out about Dr Kim years ago! Dr Kim's office staff (Amanda) made the pre surgery and Hospital process simple and easy for me! I hold Dr Kim and his staff of professionals in the Highest regards! I highly recommend his services! Gene Irestone
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
After our Consult app. we felt secure in choosing Dr. Richard Kim, as he explained thoroughly our goal for the surgery and rehab after surgery. He walked us every step of the way and we had great trust for him. He did an outstanding job!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
If you're ever in need of a neurosurgeon, your first call should be to Dr. Richard Kim. He's a fabulous doctor with a fabulous staff! I was referred to Dr. Kim by a friend who was also a patient of Dr. Kim's. She raved about what a great doctor he was, so I made a consultation appointment with him and never went back to my original surgeon. Dr. Kim performed surgery on my neck and now all is well!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim performed a partial Laminectomy on my L3/4 and L4/5 areas and my life has been sooo much better ever since the surgery. He is the only surgeon who saw the issue immediately and provided the least invasive approach to solve the issue. He is kind, gentle and does a great job explaining the situation and process. I highly recommend him to anyone who is in pain and needs a great outcome. He is 5 Stars in my book! The team in the office (Amanda) and the DISC center were amazing! ALOT of care!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
I couldn't be more happy with the level of care I received from the entire staff at Dr. Kim's office. I am currently an active duty service member and that made my process a little more complicated than normal yet their office handled it with ease and assisted me so perfectly I couldn't have possibly received better care anywhere else. Dr. Kim is an excellent surgeon and I was able to recover from this surgery twice as fast as the last time I had it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
I Had a 3 level cervical fusion with Dr Kim about 3 yrs ago he is very kind, compassionate Dr. just what I needed unfort I have a lot more spine issues if I ever decide to get more surgery I will def go to Dr. Kim I had PTSD from other surgeries Dr Kim is the perfect dr for that he is soft spoken and calm ..first thing he said to me is"you must be in a lot of pain" I really appreciated everything he did for me
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr Kim performed my initial spine surgery on my cervical spine. He was very caring and honest and I feel very fortunate that he was there for me. I cannot say enough good about the doctor and the man. Kudos to Hoag for having such a brilliant neurosurgeon on their team!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim was the most skilled, caring surgeon I could imagine. He answered all of my questions fully and accurately. In the 2 years since my surgery, my health has gone from abysmal, where my physical health from my ruptured disk was so bad that I could barely manage just surviving with constant extreme pain despite limiting all physical movement as much as possible, to where I am doing everything that I used to do before my injury -- skiiing, surfing, mountain biking, swimming, etc.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim has been my neurosurgeon since August, 2014. To date, he's performed 3 surgeries on me (2 spine, 1 brain) and #4 is in a few weeks (brain). He is kind, gentle, pleasant and pays close attention to his patients. His staff is absolutely the best, hands down. I trust Dr. Kim implicitly to the point of calling and getting recommendations from him for other types of surgeons. I like that he's not quick to rush to surgery. He explores lots of other options first and then proceeds.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. Kim operated on my wife after she was hit by a truck while training on her bicycle for Ironman. She had a burst fracture of her L1 vertebrae. His expertise and manner were the best I have ever experienced. My wife has fully recovered from her serious injuries. The surgery was 9 hours and she was hospitalized for around a month. This happened 10 years ago. I still think of Dr. Kim frequently and we are both so thankful he was our surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
It's been a year now since dr Kim performed my c -spine fusion. I'm happy to say I'm doing Great!! Best surgeon and great staff and also great hospitals
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?
Dr. R. Kim performed 2 different back surgeries on me. Both outcomes were excellent. Staff was good and doctor was caring.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Kim, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Kim?

DISC Sports and Spine Center

• Sat: closed

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Kim treats patients.