Dr. R D. Heekin, MD

Dr. R D. Heekin, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Heekin Clinic 2 Shircliff Way Ste 605, Jacksonville, FL 32204 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

At the Heekin Clinic, we believe that pain-free mobility is key to your health and happiness. When you can't do the things you love, it affects every aspect of your life. That's why the new Heekin Clinic is on a mission to give the people of Jacksonville and Northeast Florida the best orthopedic care anywhere, starting with you.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Heekin's Experience

100Experience
Match

See how Dr. Heekin's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Heekin

Dr. Heekin accepts 22 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Heekin has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Heekin's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Heekin to family and friends
4.4
Experience with Dr. Heekin
Dr. Heekin's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (86)
in St Augustine, FL |
With the many referrals I had received when asking for a knee specialist Dr. Heekin came highly recommended . I called to make an appointment expecting to be on a waiting list only to be seen in the same week .... Wow ... since procrastinating until I could hardly walk , I was happy to be able to get right in. "Thankful for the awesome teamwork! Great staff!" When meeting Dr. Heekin I was very comfortable and confident that my health was in perfect hands!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin is amazing! You have to understand that he is a very busy surgeon. That being said you must understand that you'll see PA's. My total knee replacement and recovery went very well. No problems at all. Dr. Heekin is highly skilled, personable and caring.
in Jacksonville, FL |
f you cannot recommend someone better; then don't recommend anybody. I wouldn't recommend anyone else because Dr. Heekin and his staff ARE THE BEST.
in Saint Johns |
Dr. Heekin is a very cordial and friendly doctor who really cares about his patients. He has great bedside manner and listens intently about any issues that you may have. Furthermore, Dr. Heekin is an excellent and gifted orthopedic surgeon who holds himself to high standards and accepts nothing less than perfection. Dr. Heekin recently performed total knee replacement surgery on both of my knees and they haven't felt this good in over 20 years.
in Orange Park, FL |
My wait time was zero, in fact they started my in processing before my scheduled appointment time. Dr Heekin spent a great deal of time with me explaining the procedure he was recommending and why. I did not feel rushed, and no question went unanswered.
in St Augustine, FL |
I would recommend Dr. Heekin without a doubt. My hip replacement was a positive experience. The good care from Dr. Heekin and staff made this easier than I expected. They are there for you to answer questions before and after surgery. Heekin Clinic is the BEST!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr Heekin and his staff took great care of me. They tried to avoid me having surgery, but when those treatments were not providing results that met his expectations he advised surgery. Since the surgery I don't live with the constant pain and am becoming more active. I am still recovering but this has made a huge impact to my life Thank you Dr Heekin (and Team)!!!
Jacksonville, FL |
I was advised by another doctor that the only way out of pain was a hip replacement. I sought a second opinion from Dr. Heekin. He was very kind and had a great bedside manner. He put me through a series of tests that my first doctor did not.I can tell from our time together, he is very skilled at what he does. He told me that I don't need a hip replacement. It's bursitis pain. Thank you Dr. Heekin.
in Jacksonville, Florida |
Always a wonderful experience but I will never understand how there can be a one hour wait when your appointment is at 7:40 a.m. This should be addressed and changes made to scheduling. I rate ease of scheduling urgent appointments low because the original appointment offered was a month from now and I don't feel you should have to wait a month when you are in pain. After I questioned that, I was offered a 'new patient' appointment the very next morning. Hmmmm!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr heekin accepted me as a patient even though I was seen by another local orthapedic surgeon. I am very happy with my joint replacement and have good motion at the 4 month mark. I am continuing to do my PT with the encouragement of Dr Heekin and hope to have full range of motion at the one year mark. JCS
Jacksonville, FL |
I feel that patients are asked to wait in the exam room for too long. There is nothing to do there, and perhaps reading material could be made available while we wait?
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin repaired my missionary friend's broken ankle. He has replaced the knees of 4 family members also.
Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin replaced both of my knees 6 days apart. I could not have gotten a better outcome. In my opinion he is #1!in his field.
in Jacksonville, FL |
BEST ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR IN FLORIDA AND BEHOND. KIND ,DOWN TO EARTH,CARING AND ENGAGING WITH THE PATIENT..
in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL |
Dr Heekin is the best.... Other Dr wanted to do shoulder surgery... Dr Heekin gave me a cortisone shot with physical therapy and I am as good as new....Thank goodness I did not do surgery with the other Dr.......Dr Heekin took care of my torn meniscus knee last year as well....I am a surfer with a very active lifestyle and Dr Heekin has kept me in top shape...Great staff always there for you...Thanks again Doc......Ralph N. Pone Vedra Beach
in Satellite Beach, FL |
I had a terrible experience with Dr Heekin's PA Jackie, She gave me cortisone injections in both knees by mistake on May 6 2016 delaying both of my knee replacements at least 3 months. My sole purpose of driving 200 miles to their offices was to schedule my knee replacement operations. Jackie introduced herself but did not ask why I was there.She told me to roll my pants legs up and lay on the table. I was looking at the ceiling when I felt a needle. She did not follow proper procedure
in Clay County, FL |
I wouldn't even consider another doctor. Reputation, knowledge, and consideration outstanding.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Yes you wait sometimes. But it is because he cares about his patients! I have not had surgery with the dr yet, but I know several people who have. I've only heard good things. He is being very conservative with my hips. I have felt no pressure for surgery and I appreciate that.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin does the most knee replacement surgeries in Florida. That is why I went to see him. He was great. I instantly trusted him. That's why he did my surgery. I am so glad he did. My results are outstanding. I am coming along nicely in my recovery!
Have you seen Dr. R D. Heekin, MD?
Are you Dr. Heekin?

Compare Dr. Heekin

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

Why It Matters: Dr. Heekin's Board Certifications

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Pseudoarthrosis
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Runner's Knee

Uniformed Services University of The Health Sciences

Graduated in 1980

• Best Doctors, 2010- curr
    • Jacksonville Business Journal Health Care Hero, 09/02/2008

Dr. Heekin has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Heekin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Heekin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Heekin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Heekin

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Heekin's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
16 – 30 minutes

Experience with Dr. Heekin

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Heekin says...

Medical Director of Orthopedic Center of Excellence, Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, St. Vincent's Riverside Fellowship-trained, board certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. R. David Heekin has performed more hip and knee operations than any other surgeon in the state of Florida. In addition, he has also compiled one of the nation's largest independent hip and knee registries housed by the Heekin Institute of Orthopedic Research (HIOR). Medical implant manufacturers, medical scientists and other surgeons rely on Dr. Heekin's expertise and pioneering research. Shouldn't you?

Dr. Heekin's Care Philosophy