Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. R.David Heekin, MD
Medical Director of Orthopedic Center of Excellence, Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, St. Vincent's Riverside Fellowship-trained, board certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. R. David Heekin has performed more hip and knee operations than any other surgeon in the state of Florida. In addition, he has also compiled one of the nation's largest independent hip and knee registries housed by the Heekin Institute of Orthopedic Research (HIOR). Medical implant manufacturers, medical scientists and other surgeons rely on Dr. Heekin's expertise and pioneering research. Shouldn't you?

Heekin Clinic

2 Shircliff Way Ste 605

Jacksonville, FL 32204

• AARP
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • AvMed
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
  • Bluegrass Family Health
  • Coventry Health Care of Florida
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Heekin

At the Heekin Clinic, we believe that pain-free mobility is key to your health and happiness. When you can't do the things you love, it affects every aspect of your life. That's why the new Heekin Clinic is on a mission to give the people of Jacksonville and Northeast Florida the best orthopedic care anywhere, starting with you.

Dr. Heekin's Experience

Dr. Heekin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

Accredited by: American Board of Medical Specialties*

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Pseudoarthrosis
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Runner's Knee

• Anderson Research Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1994

• Best Doctors, 2010- curr
  • Jacksonville Business Journal Health Care Hero, 09/02/2008

Dr. Heekin has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Heekin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Heekin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Heekin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Heekin to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Heekin's Performance
in Jacksonville, FL |
As a person born with a dislocated hip, i have endured some degree of pain or limp throughout my life despite traction interventions at age 4 (in the 60s such things often went unnoticed at birth. ) Between 50 and 55 my hip got worse and worse. I was walking with a cane. Ibuprofen was my best friend. After dr #1told me i had to lose 100 lbs first, i got dr H's number from a delighted double hip patient. Two mos later, with a two week old hip, i feel great. Staff,dr and hospital top notch! Thx!
Jacksonville, FL |
Happy with the surgeon and my knee replacement. He's the best known in town. Wouldn't go to anyone else.
in Jacksonville, FL |
I have been a patient of Dr. Heekin for the past 6 years. Dr. Heekin has replaced both of my hips and my left knee. All 3 surgeries were correctly diagnosed and performed without any problems. If you have any mobility problems with your hips or knees I would highly recommend you schedule an appointment with Dr. Heekin and his staff. My follow up visits are scheduled with either Dr. Heekin or Mark his assistant. Mark is great at explaining your procedure and answering any questions.
in Keystone Heights, FL |
The Doctor and staff were absolutely professional and friendly. The organization of the office and its communication with the hospital was excellent.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin is one of a kind. He goes well beyond what I would expect from a doctor. He cares for his patients and that's not a facade. There is no other Orthopaedic surgeon in Norteast Florida that comes close to his outstanding surgical skills, his bedside manner and most of all his desire to relieve his patient's pain and suffering.
in Jacksonville, FL |
I was very concerned and yes, a bit scared. Dr. Heekin caused all of that to disappear. Personal, professional and honest. Concern about the individual patient was obvious from the moment Dr. Heekin walked in the room. Very pleased with him personally and professionally. Office staff was exceptional.
St Simons Island, GA |
Knowledgeable, professional, treats patients with respect and full attention.
in Jacksonville, FL |
I was a little nervous approaching the subject of eventual knee replacement surgery and within minutes of meeting Dr. Heekin felt completely reassured that his diagnosis would be thorough, accurate and encouraging. And I was right!
in Jacksonville, FL |
VERY NICE LISTENED TO MY NEEDS AND EXPLAINED EVERYTHING VERY WELL I FELT REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH THE STAFF AND THE DR !!!!! THANK YOU :)
in St Augustine, FL |
This was first visit and had a lot of questions concerning my needs. Wow, what a wonderful group. Dr Heekin was so easy to talk and understand and the staff was wonderful as well. They put my mind at complete ease and I know for sure that Dr. Heekin will be the only one taking care of me from here on out with all my orthopedic needs. Thank you guys so much for putting my mind at ease with this entire process.
in St Simons Island, GA |
My appointment was a great medical experience. The intake was prompt, courteous and reassuring. The treatment was professional and effective. The post-op instructions were reassuring. Will return anytime I have any Orthopedic problems. Can highly recommend the practice. Jim Campbell
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin performed my total hip replacement surgery for me a year ago. I went in today for the final appointment with Mark, one of the PA's. Everything has stayed in place and I no longer have pain in the hip - very good recovery. Dr. Heekin and Mark are very professional and I love them both. Actually, all of the staff is very professional and helpful.
in Fleming Island, FL |
Dr Heekin is professional, caring, and highly skilled. It is obvious that he genuinely cares about one as a patient and instills this with staff.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Love, Love, Love, this Doctor and his office staff.. Love the two physical therapist (Tava and Laura) assigned to me after my knee replacement. Best recovery after only 4 months.
in St Augustine, FL |
With the many referrals I had received when asking for a knee specialist Dr. Heekin came highly recommended . I called to make an appointment expecting to be on a waiting list only to be seen in the same week .... Wow ... since procrastinating until I could hardly walk , I was happy to be able to get right in. "Thankful for the awesome teamwork! Great staff!" When meeting Dr. Heekin I was very comfortable and confident that my health was in perfect hands!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin is amazing! You have to understand that he is a very busy surgeon. That being said you must understand that you'll see PA's. My total knee replacement and recovery went very well. No problems at all. Dr. Heekin is highly skilled, personable and caring.
in Jacksonville, FL |
f you cannot recommend someone better; then don't recommend anybody. I wouldn't recommend anyone else because Dr. Heekin and his staff ARE THE BEST.
in Saint Johns |
Dr. Heekin is a very cordial and friendly doctor who really cares about his patients. He has great bedside manner and listens intently about any issues that you may have. Furthermore, Dr. Heekin is an excellent and gifted orthopedic surgeon who holds himself to high standards and accepts nothing less than perfection. Dr. Heekin recently performed total knee replacement surgery on both of my knees and they haven't felt this good in over 20 years.
in Orange Park, FL |
My wait time was zero, in fact they started my in processing before my scheduled appointment time. Dr Heekin spent a great deal of time with me explaining the procedure he was recommending and why. I did not feel rushed, and no question went unanswered.
in St Augustine, FL |
I would recommend Dr. Heekin without a doubt. My hip replacement was a positive experience. The good care from Dr. Heekin and staff made this easier than I expected. They are there for you to answer questions before and after surgery. Heekin Clinic is the BEST!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr Heekin and his staff took great care of me. They tried to avoid me having surgery, but when those treatments were not providing results that met his expectations he advised surgery. Since the surgery I don't live with the constant pain and am becoming more active. I am still recovering but this has made a huge impact to my life Thank you Dr Heekin (and Team)!!!
Jacksonville, FL |
I was advised by another doctor that the only way out of pain was a hip replacement. I sought a second opinion from Dr. Heekin. He was very kind and had a great bedside manner. He put me through a series of tests that my first doctor did not.I can tell from our time together, he is very skilled at what he does. He told me that I don't need a hip replacement. It's bursitis pain. Thank you Dr. Heekin.
in Jacksonville, Florida |
Always a wonderful experience but I will never understand how there can be a one hour wait when your appointment is at 7:40 a.m. This should be addressed and changes made to scheduling. I rate ease of scheduling urgent appointments low because the original appointment offered was a month from now and I don't feel you should have to wait a month when you are in pain. After I questioned that, I was offered a 'new patient' appointment the very next morning. Hmmmm!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr heekin accepted me as a patient even though I was seen by another local orthapedic surgeon. I am very happy with my joint replacement and have good motion at the 4 month mark. I am continuing to do my PT with the encouragement of Dr Heekin and hope to have full range of motion at the one year mark. JCS
Jacksonville, FL |
I feel that patients are asked to wait in the exam room for too long. There is nothing to do there, and perhaps reading material could be made available while we wait?
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin repaired my missionary friend's broken ankle. He has replaced the knees of 4 family members also.
in Jacksonville, FL |
BEST ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR IN FLORIDA AND BEHOND. KIND ,DOWN TO EARTH,CARING AND ENGAGING WITH THE PATIENT..
in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL |
Dr Heekin is the best.... Other Dr wanted to do shoulder surgery... Dr Heekin gave me a cortisone shot with physical therapy and I am as good as new....Thank goodness I did not do surgery with the other Dr.......Dr Heekin took care of my torn meniscus knee last year as well....I am a surfer with a very active lifestyle and Dr Heekin has kept me in top shape...Great staff always there for you...Thanks again Doc......Ralph N. Pone Vedra Beach
in Satellite Beach, FL |
I had a terrible experience with Dr Heekin's PA Jackie, She gave me cortisone injections in both knees by mistake on May 6 2016 delaying both of my knee replacements at least 3 months. My sole purpose of driving 200 miles to their offices was to schedule my knee replacement operations. Jackie introduced herself but did not ask why I was there.She told me to roll my pants legs up and lay on the table. I was looking at the ceiling when I felt a needle. She did not follow proper procedure
in Clay County, FL |
I wouldn't even consider another doctor. Reputation, knowledge, and consideration outstanding.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Yes you wait sometimes. But it is because he cares about his patients! I have not had surgery with the dr yet, but I know several people who have. I've only heard good things. He is being very conservative with my hips. I have felt no pressure for surgery and I appreciate that.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Heekin does the most knee replacement surgeries in Florida. That is why I went to see him. He was great. I instantly trusted him. That's why he did my surgery. I am so glad he did. My results are outstanding. I am coming along nicely in my recovery!
Have you seen Dr. R.David Heekin, MD?
Are you Dr. Heekin?

Visit Dr. Heekin

Dr. Heekin accepts 22 insurance carriers
  • AARP
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • AvMed
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Beech Street (Multiplan) EPO
  • Bluegrass Family Health
    Worker's Compensation WC
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
  • Coventry Health Care of Florida
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
    Gold
    Gold Choice
    Gold HMO
    Gold Plus
    Gold Plus Choice PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Mayo Clinic