Dr. Richard B. Guttler, MD

Dr. Richard B. Guttler, MD

Endocrinology | Male | 74 years old

I care only for patients with thyroid and parathyroid diseases including cancer. Each has their own primary care physician.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Guttler's Experience

See how Dr. Guttler's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Guttler

Dr. Guttler's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Guttler to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Guttler
Dr. Guttler's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (24)
Dr. Guttler Says:

in Encino, CA |
Dr. Guttler has been my thyroidologist for more than 20 years. I am a physician. I also have published biochemistry research in the field of thyroidology. I selected him for his expertise and care for my personal thyroid problem. He has always lived up to his sterling reputation
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Guttler provided very effective diagnosis for me. He is smart and extremely knowledgeable. He tried to spare me surgery for over-producing parathyroid. His manner is more forthright than many physicians but his opinion is to be trusted. Some people had a problem with his assistant but she is no longer there and a very pleasant, helpful young man is. Calls were returned very quickly. Dr. Guttler does not accept any insurance but does try to make some adjustment in his rates.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Guttler is a clinical THYROIDOLOGIST as well as a board-certified endocrinologist. After undergoing eight different biopsies from four other doctors who couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, Dr. Guttler correctly diagnosed my problem and I am healthy and happy today.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Guttler is the best. He knows what he's doing and knows the very latest on Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Most other thyroid doctors would have done surgery- Dr. Guttler saved me from surgery and I am in good health and feel great. So good to have confidence in my doctor!
in North Las Vegas, NV |
Dr Guttler saved my life 36 years ago when he diagnosed a massive goiter that was pressing on my airway. He is more knowledgeable about thyroid disease and cutting edge thyroid treatments and procedures than any other Endocrinologist I have met, and I have met many over the last 36 years. I continue to travel from Las Vegas to Santa Monica, CA for my treatment and will continue to do so until he chooses to no longer practice.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Richard Guttler is nothing less than exceptional. It was a misdiagnosis in Scottsdale, Arizona that lead me to drive 8 hours to be seen by someone who is passionate about what they do. It was refreshing to find an endocrinologist that is dedicated to excellence
in Santa Monica, CA |
I have been Dr. Guttler's patient for several years. Like many good doctors in L.A., Dr. Guttler is unfortunately out of my insurance network, so my visits and tests range from expensive to very expensive. I definitely find the expense worth it since prior to Dr. Guttler, my thyroid disease had been dangerously misdiagnosed by other doctors. It is a pity I had not found him years earlier. I trust Dr. Guttler, as he has superior knowledge of his field of medicine.
in Santa Monica, CA |
in Southern CA |
Dr. Guttler makes sure I understand what is happening w/my thyroid AND that I don't get over treated when not necessary! I had biopsy earlier this year(not Dr Guttler) w/a 22 Gauge needle-ouch! I learned 25-27 Gauge needle is typically used & Dr. Guttler agreed! He couldn't believe what I endured! He took time doing my ultrasound, reviewed all HE SAW with me, drew my blood onsite & ordered special thyroid tests other endocrinolgists never did for me. I trust Dr. G w/my thyroid's well being 200%!
Los Angeles, CA |
Great doctor - obviously very knowledgeable and very engaging.
Have you seen Dr. Richard B. Guttler, MD?

Compare Dr. Guttler

Dr. Guttler says...

I am a board certified endocrinologist.However I trained with JT Nicoloff at USC in clinical thyroidology. I do not see diabetic patients and only see thyroid/parathyroid patients. I cross trained in nuclear thyroidology and was certified to treat my patients with radioiodine for cancer,hyperthyroid and goiters. I cross trained in thyroid cytopathology and am a member of the American Society of cytopsthology.That means while other endocrinologists may do the biopsy, all of them send the slides to a pathologist for interpretation. I cross trained in ultrasound.I wrote the questions on the first ECNU test. I was certified in 2010 in endocrine neck ultrasound ECNU, ( parathyroid, thyroid and neck lymph nodes). I taught ultrasound and thyroid cytology for endocrinologists for 6 years for the American college of endocrinology.I have trained many endocrinologists interested in advanced methods in clinical interventional thyroidology with ethanol ablation PEI of thyroid/parathyroid cysts and ablation of thyroid cancer nodal neck metastasis with ethanol. These advanced methods can replace surgery for recurrent cancer neck nodes and thyroid parathyroid cysts. Each PEI procedure saves $40-50,000 in hospital costs with less morbidity. I also trained in the use of Radiofrequency Ablation RFA of large benign symptomatic cosmetically abnormal nodules in Italy where the procedure is routine. FDA approval is pending for the USA. At present I will evaluate candidates for RFA to travel to Italy or Korea . The fee for RFA and travel expenses is still cheaper and less invasive that a thyroidectomy in this country. Usually one RFA session will solve the symptom and cosmetic problems. Some patients may think what I do is very experimental.Primary physicians may not even know these simple alternatives to surgery for their patients. Ethanol and Radiofrequency ablation techniques are state of the art and available to anyone with a goiter or cancer neck lymph node recurrent problems. I have personally done 55,000 thyroid related office visits,thyroid lab,consultations, second opinions on outside needle biopsies and surgical pathology, nuclear thyroid therapy for Graves',toxic goiter,simple goiter,thyroid cancer, Endocrine neck diagnostic ultrasounds ECNU,Ultrasound guided thyroid biopsies, Needle washout for molecular markers including BRAF, thyroglobulin calcitonin,Parathyroid hormone Ultrasound guided ethanol ablation PEI of parathyroid and parathyroid cysts, PEI of recurrent thyroid cancer neck nodes after failed neck dissections, and finally candidate evaluation for Radiofrequency ablation RFA in Europe and Korea. My candidates do not need extensive work up time, but can have a short 2 day visit for RFA and day 2 ultrasound follow up visit to determine if the procedure was successful before returning to the US and my follow up of the expected marked reduction of the nodule over 6-24 months.I hope this explanation of what I do that is not done by your local of even university based endocrinologist is why I am a special class of physician that is a thyroid hybrid that combines 5 specialties related to thyroid patient care in one physician.

Dr. Guttler's Care Philosophy

Dr. Guttler says...

I have cross trained in all major areas related to thyroid disease.

Endocrinology

Clinical thyrodology

Thyroid Nuclear Medicine

Thyroid Ultrasound

Thyroid cytopathology

Thyroid Molecular Markers

Thyroid Blood analysis T4 T3 TSH TPO antibodies

Dr. Guttler says...

I am an interventional thyroidologist.

I do ethanol ablation PEI for large benign cysts  and for thyroid cancer recurrent nodal neck disease instead of another hospital neck dissection. See my video on vimeo and Utube. The video is published in  American Thyroid Association first video journal VideoEndocrinology.

I am preparing patients with large symptomatic benign solid nodules for radiofrequency ablation RFA instead of surgery.

I am a American college of Endocrinology certified ultrasound Endocrine neck Sonologist. ECNU.

I do US guided FNA, onsite adequacy assessment and collect molecular markers by needle washout and interpret my own biopsy slides.

Dr. Guttler says...

I have had 55,000 patient visits over 40 years for thyroid examinations, diagnosis, consults,biopsies,treatment, and long term follow up of cancer in my thyroid only practice. A few bad reviews does not bother me. My patients value my expertise and return every year for my follow up examinations. I follow the guidelines for thyroid patient care outlined by American Thyroid Association,Endocrine Society, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American Society of Cytopathologists.

The few unhappy souls that wrote bad reviews were not given Armour thyroid,generics, compounded hormones, and were told to stop all over the counter "thyroid" pills with iodine. Also some were told that after my evaluation they did not have thyroid disease.

Some were unhappy to have their overdose of thyroid medication reduced to normal because they felt "hypothyroid" on lower.

They were sent away unhappy when I told them their obesity was not caused or should be treated with thyroid hormone.

Dr. Guttler's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Endocrinology

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Guttler's Board Certifications

Royal Society Of Medicine

Completed in 1974

U Of Illinois

Graduated in 1967

Dr. Guttler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Guttler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Endocrinology

• Ultrasound-Guided Injection
  • X-Ray
  • X-Ray Guided Biopsy

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.