Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Richard Francis, MD
Dr. Francis has been practicing medicine for 29 years. Since founding Spine Associates in 2003, he has built a considerable reputation by maintaining a conservative approach to treating all spine conditions in both children and adults. He has made it his goal to stay at the forefront of technology, yet maintain a personal connection with patients and their families. Dr. Francis is one of few spine surgeons capable of performing surgeries on children as well as adults and prides himself as one of the few select surgeons in the nation utilizing robotic assisted spine surgery. He was the first surgeon in Houston to employ the Mazor Robotics Renaissance guidance system, and is now the first in the region to add the Mazor X™ surgical assurance platform to his spinal surgery program. PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS • Diplomat of the Intercollegiate Specialty Board of the Royal College of Surgeons of the UK in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery. • Postdoctoral Fellow in Spine Surgery at the Baylor College ofMedicine in Houston, Texas. • Four years as Assistant Professor of Spine Surgery with theUniversity of Texas Medical School. • Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh AREAS OF EXPERTISE • Robotic Assisted Spine Surgery • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery • Adult & Pediatric Scoliosis Correction • Reconstructive Spine Surgery "People ask me how I stay so driven. The answer is that I feel tremendous joy when I correct a spine or reconstruct a spine deformity and help my patient return to a normal, healthier life. It makes it worth every minute."

Spine Associates of Houston

9301 Southwest Fwy Ste 600

Houston, TX 77074

Dr. Richard Francis, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Advantra
  • Affiliated Healthcare
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Community Care Network
  • CorVel

Learn about Dr. Francis

Dr. Francis is engaged exclusively in the care of Adult and Pediatric Spinal Disorders. This involves deformity correction such as scoliosis and kyphosis, treatment of degenerative conditions of the cervical and lumbar spine, as well as tumors, infections and metabolic diseases of the spine. Additionally, he has a special interest in the revision, reconstruction and salvage of the previously operated spine. Dr. Francis prides himself as consistently being at the forefront of spinal surgery. Lumbar disc replacement has now been approved by the FDA. Lumbar disc replacement is now available to patients who qualify. In a nutshell, Dr. Francis provides comprehensive care of the whole spine. Dr. Francis's practice is based on the principle of conservatism. All reasonable forms of conservative care for patients will be exhausted before consideration of surgical intervention. This is only logical, as Dr. Francis recognizes that the peer- reviewed literature supports the fact that the majority of simple spinal conditions will respond positively in this way, with only a small proportion requiring surgery.

Dr. Francis' Experience

Dr. Francis' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
  • Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery
  • Robotic Surgery
  • Surgery

Dr. Francis does not have any board certifications listed.

• Acrodysplasia Scoliosis
  • Mass
  • Musculoskeletal Disorders
  • Neck Injuries
  • Neck Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuritis

• Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy

• Baylor College Of Medicine-Postdoctoral Fellow In Spine Surgery
    Other Education | Completed 2000
  • Rice University-Mba Program
    Other Education | Completed 2004

Dr. Francis has no awards or honors listed.

• French

Dr. Francis does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Francis and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Francis' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Francis to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Francis' Performance
in Houston, TX |
He took care of my dad after he fractured his L1 vertebra. My dad was in a lot of pain and Dr. Francis made sure he was able to get an appointment to see him the very next morning. He performed a kyphoplasty procedure to fix the fracture that same week. My dad went from an 8 on pain scale down to a 1 as soon as he woke up from the procedure. He's my hero for helping my dad
TX |
Deserves 0 stars. The staff is rude. We waited 2 months for an appt & once there we waited 4 hours for the dr to spend > 5 min w/ us. Was told to get an MRI & call to schedule a follow up. We had to wait 2 more months for the f/U. Today I was made to change into a gown & after waiting 3 hours we were made to walk into the hall, while in the gown, to talk to the Dr. Three hours & he couldn't even walk into the room to give me the courtesy and privacy that I, as his patient, deserved. HORRIBLE!
Good experience overall
Port Arthur, TX |
Upon my first visit, I was treated with kindness, although the wait was excruciatingly long; I was referred to Dr. Francis from my GP. It was determined within my first visit that I would need a laminectomy for a pinched sciatic nerve. Dr. Francis agreed with how the nerve was pinched, that I was in much discomfort, and we moved forward with the plan for surgery. Dr. Francis promised a two week interval between surgery and returning to work. The actual recovery time for a laminectomy is a minimu
It was good
in Gatesville, TX |
Horrible experience! Never saw him after surgery in the hospital. Left in worse pain than I went in. Had to go back due to a screw he put in, causing a secondary fracture in vertebrae, pushing bone splinter into nerve bundle at spine. Couldn't get the right help over the phone. Still in horrible pain. Lost my job. It has been over a year and I have permanent damage due to his 2 surgeries! I a disabled because of him. Please, do not chance using him!!!
Houston, TX |
Dr. Francis was very helpful in treating my husband after he was injured at work. I took him to his appointment and we both had a very positive experience. He was thorough and very friendly. I was expecting a long wait time after reading some of the other reviews, but that was not my experience. He has a follow up scheduled after his first injection and we will see where we go from there!
Houston, Tx. |
This was my very first visit ever with a specialist regarding my lower back pain. I will not be going back to this doctor. I waited 4 hours to see him. That is when I got an office manager involved expressing my visit. Nurses were rude. I was forced to have xray, when all of my imaging is up to date. He came in treated me like a number. I felt no type of concern from him. He forced expensive pt on me through his company. I will be taking my business elsewhere. Beaware wait time, rude staff
Houston, Tx |
Ridiculous wait times (the second visit we waited 4 hours and then left without seeing the doctor). When you finally see the doctor its for 2 minutes. They make you pay a ton of money before claims are processed. Others say its worth the wait to see him but when you have a patient with unbearable back/leg pain and make them wait hours to be seen, its not worth it in my opinion. He will not see you or do surgery unless you pay upfront.
in Vidor, TX |
Dr Francis did my 15 year old sons back surgery in Oct. he did a great job. He was always willing to answer any question I or my son had never rushed us with this whole thing. His after care has been just as great. We went for a check up and seen the nurse but ran into him in the hall he stopped and talked to my son about how he was doing and when they thought he could go back to normal activity. He is also doing his therapy with him and has been doing great my son is no longer in pain from this
in Beaumont, TX |
Two words would really sum up my review: SO UNETHICAL! After performing the surgery he refused to see me anymore even though I was still having pain issues after surgery. He only cares about surgeries and making money off you. By not seeing me he can advertise that only 15% of his patients are recurring. I've seen doctors for my back issues for 16 years. Dr. Francis is a quack and a scam. He told me he was fusing one disk but the day of my surgery, after they already had me hooked up to an i.
in Beaumont, TX |
First, I was treated like a drug addict.... Being told to leave my purse in the exam room, because it wasn't allowed in the restroom with me... To finally: after waiting 3 1/2hrs finally the Dr came in... Only to be told by the Dr himself not to talk, his nurse would tell him ALL OF MY PROBLEMS... And if the 4 back surgeries hadn't worked a 5th sure wasn't going to help.... " YOU KNOW I WONDER IF HE REALIZED HE JUST CALLED HIMSELF A POOR SURGEON"... HE WAS SO ARROGANT AND BEYOND RUDE...
in Houston, TX |
I want to give ZERO star to this doctor. He is kind of Doctor who would look at you as you're a bank check and not a patient. Total waste of time and money. He conducted completely irrelevant tests, from out of network lab (i am sure some way associated with him), and declared need of urgent surgery giving a completely wrong medical explanation. I told him, i would like to get another opinion, but his staff called me very next morning to schedule surgery. Just after money.
in Texas |
Absolutely horrible!!! No bedside manner,rude and arrogant.had a 6 pm appointment and it was 10 pm when I was seen. And he gave us 5 min of his time. Can never get the same person at his office,nobody knows what is going on,is a complete cluster mess!!! He maybe a great surgeon but I won't find out after that first introduction .
in Beaumont, Tx. |
I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Dr. Francis and would have the surgery done again in a heartbeat. I went from not being able to do hardly anything for about 6 years and being terrified of the horrors of surgery to being able to do anything I wanted after surgery and about two months of physical therapy. Thank you and your Staff. The wait time at appointments is somewhat lengthy but you have one Dr. seeing everyone from the Golden Triangle that wanted to see HIM. Very informative on procedures.
in Spring, TX |
I HIGHLY recommend that you see another doctor. His bedside manner lacked. He's egotistical and I did not feel comfortable around him after my surgery. Prior to surgery the anesthesiologist as well as Dr. Francis were rushed and impersonal. He didn't know what he prescribed me after surgery. He didn't know if he had recommended a chiropractor or PT. He sent in his P.A. to see me each time and there was a sense that he was disinterested. Wait time was three hours to be seen.
Horrible!!! I wouldn't even give one star. We arrived a little before 4:00 for our 4 o'clock appointment and we left a little after 7:00 because we still had not been seen by Dr. Francis. We were told that we still had 2 patients ahead of us. Waiting over 3 hours to see a doctor is RIDICULOUS period!!!
in Friendswood, TX |
Don't waste your time. I'm almost positive MD owns part of or gets payment due to ownership of the drug testing labs. You should see all that they billed my insurance for for 1 VISIT!!!!!!! 25 different CPT codes and now sending me a bill!!!!! I waited over 2 hours and staff says wait is usually over 4 hours. Horrible horrible bed side manner, spoke like a robot and would only talk through his NP/PA, which was so awkward I felt so sorry for her. There are way too many Drs to waste your time
I, Earlan McCray, would like to take this opportunity to say thank you. Thank you for a spine surgery well done and to you and your staff for the professional and knowledgeable people that you all are and for answering all of my questions in a way that I could relate to and making me feel very comfort at office and at the hospital. I would recommend family and friends to you and your staff. Once again thank you, thank you Dr.R. Francis and Staff.
Houston |
I was just told I was a candidate for surgery by a different doctor. I was terrified & wanted a second opinion. Dr. Francis has a wonderful bedside manner and friendly staff. My scoliosis has progressed significantly, & even though the other doctor suggested surgery, Dr. Francis assured me that we needed to take a conservative approach first. I started physical therapy & will go back in a year to remeasure. I am confident in Dr. Francis, & will be recommending anyone with back pain to see him.
in Orange,Tx |
He is so attentive and caring. Takes his time to answer all of your questions.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Francis, MD?
Are you Dr. Francis?

See our Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialist at Texas Orthopedic Hospital

Visit Dr. Francis

Dr. Francis accepts 36 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Accountable Health Plans of America
    Open Choice PPO
  • Affiliated Healthcare
    Affiliated Healthcare PPO
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Beech Street (Multiplan) PPO
  • CorVel
    Emblem Health
  • Evolutions Healthcare Systems
  • Galaxy Health Network
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA