Endovascular Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Richard Fessler II, MD
Dr. Richard Fessler specializes in complex vascular abnormalities of the brain, neck and spinal cord. He has been the leader in stroke and aneurysm care and established Michigan's first Stroke Network. In addition to being the Chair of surgery for St. John Hospital and Medical Centers, he is also the medical director of the St. John Providence Health System Stroke Network and Telemedicine program. He lead the effort to create a smart phone App called Consult Now which provides neuroscience physicians with a quick and easy way to reach colleagues when a consultation is needed for their patient. This App provides patients with access they might not have otherwise had to the experts to treat their specific need.

St. John Providence Health System

• Priority Health
  • State Farm
  • Zurich

Learn about Dr. Fessler II

Dr. Fessler's approach to patient care is compassionate and direct in explaining conditions or treatments to patients. Providing patients with the best information possible means constantly staying updated on the latest research and techniques, which he finds adds to his ability to treat patients.

Many of his patients arrive due to an emergency situation. His approach is always gentle and educational and in an expeditious manner so the patient receives the proper treatment quickly.  His gentle nature is often commented on by previous patients

Dr. Fessler II's Experience

Dr. Fessler II's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Endovascular Neurosurgery

• Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebral Vascular Disease
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Stroke
  • Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
  • Subdural Hemorrhage
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)

• Brain Surgery
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Intracranial Vessel Angioplasty and Stenting
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Neurostimulation
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Stenting, Intracranial Vessels

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• University of Mi Med Sch
  • Nagoya School Of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • State University of New York At Buffalo
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Fessler II has no media or publications listed.

• Japanese

Dr. Fessler II does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fessler II and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Fessler II's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fessler II to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Fessler II Says:

Your comments and feedback are always welcome. My preference is direct communication if you have a concern you would like me to address. If the care and treatment provided you is worthy of sharing with others, you have my appreciation. Thank you for your feedback.

Dr. Fessler II's Performance
in Lincoln Park, MI 48146 |
Dr. Fessler began treating me in April, 1996 and following me after an auto accident in September, 1996. I would and have recommended him to many people. He is highly recognized by his peers and is very knowledgeable in the different aspects of his specialty. He treats each of his patients with the utmost respect and compassion. He has improved my daily activities beyond anything I could have ever expected. There are no words to express how grateful I am for Dr. Fessler.
in Detroit |
I went to see him. Very arrogant and rude. Told me my back problems were because of weight. That I should go back in therapy to loose the weight. Went to a different dr. Was diagnosed and going to have surgery because my back is bad.
in Detroit, MI |
I had to see Dr. Fessler when I was in St. Johns Providence this past weekend. I found his mannerisms to be very offensive when he called me out of my name. I wouldn't recommend this doctor to any of my friends or family members. If this is how he speaks to patients who have not been given prior knowledge to certain specialists or doctors,it is only a matter of time before his rude behavior gets him into a world of hurt literally and physically.
in Macomb, MI |
I suffered four years with severe migraines and Dr. Fessler diagnosed me with my first visit before he had me get a MRI. He was a wonderful doctor and was very patient listening to me explain what symptoms I had. I has been to many doctors and specialist doctors that never could diagnoses my health situation. Thank you Dr. Fessler!
Grosse Pointe, MI |
Very professional, compassionate and competent. Wouldn't have anyone else work on me!
in Clarkston, MI |
Dr. Fessler is an excellent Dr. I would not be alive today without him
Arrogant and rude!
in Chelsea, MI |
When you have an unusual condition, you want the best - that's Dr. Fessler. He's clearly one of the leaders in his field. I really liked his consultative, informative, pragmatic approach. I felt like I could ask any question and get a clear answer. He's in demand, so sometimes appointments are booked a bit out, but he's worth waiting for. I had a follow-up issue after surgery on Christmas Eve and he came by the hospital ER to check on me despite been over an hour away. Dr. Fessler is the best!
in CLINTON TWP |
I was referred to Dr. Fessler by my PCP and tried to get appointment. They have cancelled and rescheduled three times. I could be 6 feet under by the time I get in to see him. 3 months for an appointment and he is the only physician in the practice that does this kind of appointment.
Please call the MHSI office at 877-784-3667 to discuss your concerns with our management staff.
in Pinconning, Michigan |
DR. Fessler is a very compassionate doctor. He easy to talk to and explains procedures in detail. He is a very experienced surgeon. Rod had an anterior cervical fusion and everything is going fine. He kept me informed and also called me after surgery to update me on his condition. I work in the medical field and it is very refreshing to have a Dr. that is so caring. I would recommend him to my friends and family. Thanks again, Denise Kennedy
in Southfield, MI |
Very caring and his confidence inspired my confidence in a good outcome.
Excellent.
in Southfield, MI |
I am very satisfied with the results of my surgery. I am back to my normal life.
in Lapeer, MI |
Dr. Fessler has performed several surgeries over the past decade. He's been professional, kind and personable. Besides all that, his surgeries have been lifesaving. I'm thankful to the Lord for Dr. Fessler.
in Southfield, MI |
Good doctor with pleasant attitude.
in Memphis, MI |
He cares about each patients needs. Your not a number or an amount written on a deposit slip. He's honest with diagnoses & asks you what you think, what your ready for, & expresses what's needed to save your quality of life. He's been my neurologist since 2008, coiled aneurysm which should have taken my life in 2008, and surgically clipped 5 more in 2009, had strokes during surgery. But his knowledge and eloquent professionalism saved my life. I thank him........hugz R Hawkins
in Southfield, MI |
Thoroughly explains conditions/procedures/treatments Excellent 'bedside' manners Does not rush the patient.
in Warren, Mi |
I had been in a very bad car accident. I had horrible back pain and headaches and was getting no answers or relief with any of my doctors. I was referred to Dr. Fessler with little hope of finding any answers at this point. He took his time explaining my MRI's with me and finding alternatives and extra testing to get to the bottom of my issues. He was great at answering all and any questions I had. I left his office finally with answers I was looking for!! Thank you!
Ann Arbor, MI |
He was not very helpful. Sent me on a wild goose chase, and stated i didn't have an illness, but clinically depressed. Really?!?!?! Of course I am depressed - I feel horrible, all doctor wanted to do was throw pills at it, and band aid the problem versus FIX it!!
in Southfield, MI |
Dr Fessler is very patient and caring. I love that he takes his time to explain thing to me.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Fessler II, MD?

Visit Dr. Fessler II