Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Richard DiStefano, MD
Dr. Richard DiStefano, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Syracuse, NY. He is 58 years old and has been practicing for 28 years. Dr. DiStefano is affiliated with Crouse Hospital and Saint Joseph's Hospital Health Center.

5719 Widewaters Pkwy Ste 3

Syracuse, NY 13214

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Buckeye Community Health Plan
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
  • CareSource
  • Fidelis Care
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. DiStefano

Dr. DiStefano's Experience

Dr. DiStefano's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Ankle Sprains and Strains
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Yale University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1984
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University (Syracuse)
    Medical School | Graduated 1989
  • SUNY Health Science Ctr
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1994
  • SUNY Health Science Center Buffalo-Spine Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995

Dr. DiStefano has no media or publications listed.

Dr. DiStefano does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. DiStefano and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. DiStefano's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. DiStefano to family and friends
4.0
Dr. DiStefano's Performance
in Whitesboro, New York |
Very likely! What a place, on top of everything, running on time ,if not before... Dr.DiStefano very nice bed side manner and explains everything so that I understand.... Very pleased........
Cortland, NY |
I feel that Dr. DiStefano is a kind, caring, genuine person. He carefully explained my surgical options to me and suggested that I go with the less invasive one. I agreed! Later, at the hospital, immediately before the surgery, he went over the procedure with me again. His smile and calm demeanor made me feel more at ease. Even the follow-up visit with him was good. And the surgery was a success!
in Oswego, NY |
I have been going to SOS for 5 years and have quite the long record in their system. I saw this Dr. for the first time this week and left the office in tears. I'm young but have some pretty bad problems with my back including a failed surgery that left me with nerve damage. I felt as though he never bothered to look at my file, doubted everything I said, and rushed me out. I don't know if I caught him on a bad day or what, but my impression was that he needs to work on his empathy and compassion
East Syracuse, NY |
Dr DiStefano took the time to listen to me and understand the issues I was having. He was very caring and compassionate. Really liked and trusted him.
in Potsdam, NY |
Wonderful doctor! Patient, understanding, and takes the very best care of his patients. This is the second surgery he has done for me with great results both tomes. I totally trust him.
in Ilion, NY |
I found Dr. DiStefano to be very helpful at our meeting. He was informative, easy to understand, and helped me to make an informed decision about my health decision. I would certainly recommend him to anyone.
Syracuse, NY |
My husband has had three surgeries by Dr. DiStefano on his back and has done well under Dr. DiStefano's care. That is the reason I also chose to request Dr. DiStefano when my GP suggested I see a back specialist. It was very helpful that I already knew Dr. DiStefano and knew the quality of his care. He was very concerned and made me feel confident he would find out the problems and work to help me feel better. He explained my test results very clearly
Massena, NY |
The whole experience from door to door was excellent. I came away with a good understanding of my problem and what needs to be considered in the future . The entire staff was friendly and professional from receptionist through the doctor . I would recommend this practice to anyone Who needs orthopedic surgical care .
in Liverpool, NY |
I can't say enough good things about Dr DiStefano! I am 66 years of age and also transgender. The intersectionality of those two things causes many health care providers to almost dismiss me when I talk and ask questions. (They never behaved in that manner before.) Dr DiStefano was most respectful and engaging. He looked at me when I talked and answered all questions. I appreciate his professional demeanor very much. Tim McCoy
Camillus, NY |
I did not see DiStefano today. I saw (scheduled appointment) John Parker. He did a great job explaining the procedure with me. Was patient and extended extra time to answer my questions
in Watervilet NY |
Had a 2 level lumbar fusion in 2012. At over 4 years post-op the outcome has been very good. Dr. Distefano did a great job and I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Groton, NY |
I first met Dr. DiStefano in 2014 with chronic back pain. He did an MRI and it came back with arthritis and stenosis. At that point there was nothing that he could do for me and recommended that I go for physical therapy or chiropractic or possibly injections to block the discomfort. I did the therapy for a period of time and received relief. Fast forward to 2016 and I am once again in severe pain doing PT 2-3 times a week and chiropractor once a week. I am having a MRI with contrast on 1/20.
in Fulton, NY |
Dr DiStefano is wonderful, kind, considerate. I have had three surgeries done by him and I can day enouth good about him
in Blossvale, NY |
I have only seen him twice but like his mannerisms. I'm sure we will have a great patient to Doctor relationship.
in Liverpool, NY |
He answered all my questions. Great bedside manner
in Baldwinsville, NY |
Dr. DiStefano performed back surgery on me 20 years ago when I was 35 years old and it was one of the best decision I have ever made. After living with sciatica for ten years at the time due to a chronic sports injury I had the option of living with the pain forever or risk surgery that could make things better, the same or even worse. It was a risk worth taking as I felt better immediately after surgery. Thanks Dr. DiStefano!
in Carthage, NY |
Love him! Uses language I can understand and showed me my MRI and explained it!
in Solvay, NY |
He listens to you. Takes his time and not rush you. Makes you feel safe and he will take good care of you.
Oneida, NY |
When I received this survey I thought that I was suppose to wait until I was done with surgery, for myself I do not need to wait. Dr. DiStefano has already performed surgery on me. He firstly explains the procedure in detail, then asks you if there are any questions, he answers your questions in detail. He did this with me on my first operation and he did the same this time. In my opinion, Dr. DiStefano is excellent choice for a surgeon.
Cazenovia, NY |
Professional, but friendly. Explains your situation in layman terms, and offers all viable options for treatment/ surgery with expected outcomes.
in Oswego, NY |
He an excellent doctor, great manners and an extrodinary doctor
Cortland, NY |
I like him but he rushes. I could have used 30 sec to absorb the information and formulate a question.
in Camillus, NY |
I did recommend him to my Mother for orthopedic care.
in Syracuse, NY |
I was very pleased with my recent visits with Dr. DiStefano. He was very informative and took time to explain my upcoming procedure in great detail. He took time to get a sample of the hardware that will be used for my procedure and answered all my questions in fine detail. Amy, The doctors assistant that handled setting up all my appointments, was outstanding as well. Stayed calm under what must be a very stressful job. Very professional.
in Jamesville, NY |
He was caring, answered my questions, explained everything about my current situation. He also was highly recommended to me by another patient who had surgery done by Dr. DiStefano.
in Liverpool, NY |
I had a spinal fusion with Dr DiStefano once in 2006 and another in Sept of 2016. Each time my recovery was 100% and I would recommend him to anyone needing this type of surgery. He cares about his patients.
Gouverneur, NY |
Dr. DiStefano was very pleasant and helpful. He talked with me as if I were important and not just another patient on his schedule.
in Liverpool NY |
I am new to New York and am appalled at the horrible treatment I have received from the Drs in this state! The doctors in New York are so horrible that I was having an anxiety attack on my way to this see dr. Distefano. My wait time was less than 5 mins and when he came in to see me, he was warm and caring. Sweet natured man who shared a few laughs with me. I was so impressed! Thank you dr distefano for giving me hope to healthcare in this state!!!
in Canastota, NY |
Not much of a bedside manner and never saw him again after the surgery but given that I can walk without pain (most days) I consider this a success.
Syracuse, NY |
I found him to be an excellent surgeon. I enjoyed his quiet and sweet manner. I would most definitely referr friends and family to him.
in Baldwinsville, NY |
Full spectrum failure. Their PT staff refused to work per my neurologists prescription based on a belief I had an arterial dissection which could be stroke inducing. For 2 months. Yet no one said a word to me. When I finally screamed at them the info was relayed to my primary and addressed in one day. 2 months of unneeded suffering for a non existant condition. Can I have the recommended traction now? 3 appointments with distefano and not a peep. Not over yet. You will be hearing from me.
Have you seen Dr. Richard DiStefano, MD?
Are you Dr. DiStefano?

Visit Dr. DiStefano

Dr. DiStefano accepts 45 insurance carriers
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Buckeye Community Health Plan
    Medicare
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
  • CareSource
  • Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
  • Fidelis Care
    HealthNet
    Tricare
  • HealthNow New York, Inc.
  • HealthPlus
  • Martin's Point
  • Midwest Health Plan
  • Molina Healthcare
    Medicaid
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP)
  • MVP Health Care