Dr. Richard J. Corelli, MD

Dr. Richard J. Corelli, MD

Psychiatry | Male | 67 years old

Learn about this Doctor

Congratulations on being named one of US News and World Report's 'Top Doctors'. US News and World Report 2012 Richard J. Corelli, M.D. Top Psychiatrists There are 996 top psychiatrists on the list of U.S. News Top Doctors. These physicians were selected based on a peer nomination process Richard J. Corelli, M.D. Dr. Corelli, Congratulations on being named one of US News and World Report's 'Top Doctors'. We've added this icon to your Doximity profile to reflect your respected standing among yourRead more

Personal Bio

I am a board-certified Stanford trained adult psychiatrist in practice for over 35 years. I provide compassionate, empathic and knowledge...Read more

Dr. Corelli's Experience

93Experience
Match

See how Dr. Corelli's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Corelli

Dr. Corelli accepts 57 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Corelli has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Corelli's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Corelli to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Corelli
Dr. Corelli's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (51)
Dr. Corelli Says:

Psychotherapy is a careful and slow process and it is important to know everything about the patient not just their symptoms. I want to know your strengths and vulnerabilities so that I can understand the problems you are struggling with and to see if these might be repetitive patterns from the past that can be changed once they are recognized and understood. It is important to talk about your...

in Palo Alto, CA |
I am baffled by positive reviews about talk therapy. He makes you come in once a week and sits there silent while you talk, offering NO insight. maybe even sleeping with his eyes open. how can one tell? total rubbish. switched to actual therapist with actual techniques. Doing their job. what a scam he runs.
Richard Corelli's Response Psychotherapy is a careful and slow process and it is important to know everything about the patient not just their symptoms. It is important to me to understand why you wish to stop treatment at a particular time since this can often be an indication of our getting close to some sensitive issue that is often vital to talk about in order to bring about recovery.
in San Jose, CA |
In less than one minute, I explained my desperation to Dr. Corelli, asking if he could help me. He then asked me if I heard his instructions about filling out paperwork and refused to answer my question. Knowing I am paying cash for an appointment, I will not be paying for lack of compassion in a desperate time.
Richard Corelli's Response Sometimes psychotherapy takes time . . a lot of time. It is also important that there be a good fit between the psychotherapist and the patient. Sometimes patients are looking for a 'quick fix' with medication but I am interested in working with you on deeper long term changes that will help in your recovery and allow you to live your life more fully. It does take patience and commitment. Psychotherapy is not for everyone. You will know when you are ready.
in Half Moon Bay, CA |
I tried to make an appointment with Dr Corelli. He sent me a large amount of paperwork to fill out ahead of time, including the top half of a claim form (which, as a physician myself, I have never made a patient fill out). He also required me to sign a statement that I would pay his full rate of $150/hr for every missed/cancelled appointment for which he did not receive a week's advance notice. I didn't sign it, so he wrote me back a tersely worded email refusing to accept me as a patient.
My approach in therapy is psychodynamic which means I attempt to look with you at deeper meanings and patterns for the symptoms and behaviors that are causing you stress or difficulties in your relationship or occupation. I am here to help you recognize and identify those patterns so that you can have some hope of possibly changing them or accepting and compensating for them in other ways. Recognition and understanding are the first steps toward change.
in San Francisco, CA |
Terrific experience, and ongoing. I've been w Dr Corelli for about 6 years- originally to help me stop making stupid choices (I have) and now to stay on track. I never had therapy before and was surprised how little Corelli spoke- he mostly gave small prompts- which I needed in order to make my own decisions and understand consequences. I know nothing about Corelli, and this made it surprisingly easy to be honest and confident. Corelli's great. I can't recommend him or his style any higher.
recommended for talk therapy. Does not specialize in psychopharmacology.
in Daly City, CA |
Dr. Corelli's training, insight and skilled ability at honing in on not only my initial diagnosis, but also key issues needing addressed, has opened up a new world for me; one I never thought existed. Through weekly psychotherapy, and compliance on my end, we've been able to work through both the minor issues, and the initial breakthroughs of self discovery that has helped me succeed in not only personal life, but also, life. I would recommend him to any adult seeking the aforementioned.
Half Moon Bay, CA |
I have seen Dr. Correlli for over six months. Through weekly therapy and medication he has helped me manage my symptoms of bipolar significantly. His manner is taciturn, but I find the results very helpful.
Columbia, MO |
I highly recommend Dr. Corelli for his careful attention to his patient care.
in Palo Alto, CA |
I see Dr. Corelli since about 5 years ago. During this time, I think the psychotherapy sessions with him helped me a lot in dealing with my condition. Dr. Corelli is very helpful in giving me feedback about my experiences and I feel that I can trust him in sharing my thoughts and feelings.
San Carlos, CA |
Dr. Corelli is the first psychiatrist I have seen so I do not have any experience with other doctors with which to compare. In my experience, he is very insightful and thoughtful and often helps me see things with a new perspective.
in San Mateo, CA |
He has helped me immensely with my social anxiety.
Have you seen Dr. Richard J. Corelli, MD?

Compare Dr. Corelli

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.