Dr. Richard Blau, MD

Dr. Richard Blau, MD

Rheumatology | Male

The Arthritis Institute of Long Island is staffed by dedicated professionals and is a full-service diagnostic private practice located in Hicksville, New York. The Institute has a CLIA accredited onsite laboratory, MRI, X-ray, osteoporosis DEXA scanner, and infusion center. The recent addition of a state-of-the-art, portable GE LOGIQ e musculoskeletal ultrasound now allows immediate evaluation of many joint and muscle problems.

Dr. Richard Blau is a board-certified rheumatologist, specializing in the diagnosis and the non-surgical treatment of illnesses that cause significant muscle or joint pain. He treats over 200 types of illnesses that affect the joints and muscles, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, lupus, and tendinitis. He also treat soft tissue problems related to musculoskeletal system sports related soft tissue disorders. More than twenty years ago, he was among the first physicians to unlock the power of computerized medical records to help improve patient care. More recently, he became the first physician on the East Coast to bring Diagnostic Needle Arthroscopy to his private practice. This is an innovative, advanced technology that allows a physician to look directly into a patient's knee. He was also one of the first rheumatologists in New York to use miniaturized MRI onsite in the rheumatology office for the early diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. His experience has brought him to both the local and the national stage as a lecturer to physicians, physicians-in-training, and medical students on a variety of topics, including: the role of electronic medical records (EHR) in the private medical office, computerization of the medical office, and the future of private practice medicine. He has also lectured on innovations in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and osteoporosis. Dr. Blau is the medical director and founder of The Arthritis Institute of Long Island. The is staffed by dedicated professionals and is a full-service diagnostic private practice located in Hicksville, New York. The Institute has a CLIA accredited onsite laboratory, MRI, X-ray, osteoporosis DEXA scanner, and infusion center. The recent addition of a state-of-the-art, portable GE LOGIQ e musculoskeletal ultrasound now allows immediate evaluation of many joint and muscle problems. He is the author of many self-help articles, and along with renowned health writer E. A. Tremblay, co-authored the best-selling arthritis self-help book, Too Young to Feel Old – The Arthritis Doctor's 28-day Formula for Pain-Free Living.

Dr. Blau's Experience

See how Dr. Blau's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Blau

Dr. Blau accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Blau has admitting privileges.

Dr. Blau's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Blau to family and friends
    Dr. Blau's Performance
    Bellmore, NY |
    Dr. Blau and his staff have created an environment that matches in detail my desires for what I would like when I need medical attention.
    in East Meadow, NY |
    Horrible experience. Unorganized. The office co-ordinator is inexperienced and cost me a day of loss wages for writing the wrong day with the date. She wrote Wednesday, June 8, 2017 which caused my appointment to be cancelled. I waited for weeks for the appointment and lost a day of pay to take off. Horrible way I was treated when it was their fault.
    in Bellmore, NY |
    What a fantastic Doctor. He has chosen a great staff to match his level of care as well. Thorough, kind, intelligent and provides an atmosphere of care i have never seen in my life. Highly recommend. Wish other Doctors were like him and treated their patient with so much respect and care as he does.
    in Long Island, NY |
    I have NEVER met someone like Dr. Blau...and I have met MANY doctors. He is not only extremely knowledgeable and incredibly thorough, but amazingly compassionate. I was suffering greatly...and just when I thought there was no hope at all, he lifted the cloud from me. After my first visit, where I spent three hours giving him my personal history; getting x-rays, ultrasounds and blood tests; and listening to his plan of action, I felt HEARD. He absorbs! He reflects! And he acts! He's the best!
    Farmingdale, NY |
    Scheduled to see Dr. Blau Friday, last week. I went to the office Thurs. to fill out paperwork. I was told my deductible needed to be paid the next day after my appointment. They wanted me to pay apx. $300 for the tests that "might" have been performed, and so he refused to see me. I was an established patient, 10 years prior, so he knew me. Although I held up disfigured thumbs which were burning in pain, begging them to help me, the manager came back and said, "the doctor CANNOT see you".
    in So. Setauket, NY |
    Dr. Blau, his staff and nurses, could serve as a model of what excellent medicine should be. Thorough testing is done on site, patients are treated with respect and courtesy by caring people. Expert, accurate diagnoses are made and suitable treatment plans worked out. Both my husband and I are grateful patients of Dr. Blau.
    Plainview, NY |
    Very attentive, informative. His staff are great and supportive. I couldn't have been helped by a better doctor and nurses.
    in East Meadow NY |
    This office is the best run office, with expert staff, Rn's, PA and Dr Blau, especially. They respect their patients and their time, and in the past 7 years, I have waited maybe 10 minutes, 3or 4 times. I highly recommend them. Since I was diagnosed with RA I have had many different treatments that have helped to ease further progression,and pain, such as monthly infusions, hyalgan injections for my knee and others. Dr Blau and his staff are truly talented and wonderfully caring.
    in Williston Park, NY |
    I was lucky enough to find Dr. Blau back in Sept 2015. Today I can honestly say I feel 80-90% better! His entire staff from the front desk, nurses,lab tec. and everyone in between are the most amazing! I have recommend a child hood friend who like my self searched and searched, she thanks me every day. I highly recommend Dr. Blau & his staff.
    in Plainview, NY |
    Dr. Blau and his staff once again hit it out of the park. Since seeing him myself several years ago my once chronic condition seems to be gone. I have recommended him to friends and family and one of my extremely hard to please aunts Finally went to see him. She was on the fence about it because she avoids ALL doctors. But as I knew she would, she called me last night and told me if all medical practices operated like the Arthritis Institute she would love doctors!
    Denver, CO |
    I would not recommend this Dr. It seems his website and tv commercials are very deceiving. He picks and chooses who he wants to treat and the personnel who are following directions have not idea how upsetting this could be. On his website it claims he treats spondylitis which is in relation to neck and spine however the office personnel say he does not treat backs. If you have arthritis as a result of an injury you have to get a letter from the treating physician before he will see you.
    Levittown |
    They don't take my insurance and I was ok with that but when I tried making an appointment the secretary kept telling me to ask my dr. For another recommendation. She quoted some prices and I said ok, I'd like an appointment. She then changed the prices and again told me to find another dr.. she said usually people say nevermind, I said I'm not other people. Were not all the same. I said, I'm confused, is this a dr. Office, aren't you suppose to want to help people? It didn't sound like it.
    in Merrick New York |
    The practice is a model of how a doctors office should be run. Dr Blau takes the time to find out everything to diagnose the problem. The nurses and staff are all pleasant and professional. The office is run like a well oiled machine from the well educated professional Dr.Blau to office staff who handled all the paperwork,keep the office on time and sent my RX to the pharmacy without even asking. I would highly recommend going to Dr Blau.
    in Deer Park, N.Y. |
    I started seeing Dr.Blau and his wonderful staff about a year and half ago and have been very happy with the treatment I have gotten both medically and mentally. I deal with his PA Michele a lot of the time and never has there been a time when someone from the office didn't return my call on the same day. My case is been full of what I considered emergencies and Dr.Blau and his staff always treat me with the urgency I feel I need. I would recommend them for anyone seeking a compassionate staff.
    Have you seen Dr. Richard Blau, MD?
    Are you Dr. Blau?

Dr. Blau says...

Dr. Blau is the medical director and founder of The Arthritis Institute of Long Island.  The is staffed by dedicated professionals and is a full-service diagnostic private practice located in Hicksville, New York. The Institute has a CLIA accredited onsite laboratory, MRI, X-ray, osteoporosis DEXA scanner, and infusion center. The recent addition of a state-of-the-art, portable GE LOGIQ e musculoskeletal ultrasound now allows immediate evaluation of many joint and muscle problems.

Dr. Blau's Care Philosophy

Dr. Blau's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Rheumatology
    •  Board certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology

Dr. Blau has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for New York.

Why It Matters: Dr. Blau's Board Certifications

• Rheumatology

• Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
    • Dermatomyositis
    • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
    • Gout
    • Lupus
    • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
    • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
    • Polymyositis

La Co-Usc Med Ctr

Completed in 1984

University of Florida, Gainesville

Graduated in 1974

Dr. Blau does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Blau and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Rheumatology