Dr. Richard Bernstein, MD

Orthopedic Hand Surgery | Male

The Orthopaedic Group 469 W Main St Ste 107 Branford, CT 06405 Get Directions
Dr. Richard Bernstein, MD
Dr. Richard Bernstein, MD is an orthopedic hand surgery doctor who practices in Branford, CT. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 31 years. Dr. Bernstein is affiliated with Milford Hospital, Yale - New Haven Hospital and YNHH Saint Raphael Campus.

Dr. Bernstein's Care Philosophy

The most important aspect of treating disorders of the hand and upper extremity is making an accurate diagnosis and then instituting the most conservative, least invasive and effective treatment algorithm. Most patients I see do NOT require surgery and can be cured with simple measures. I employ a team of nurses and cetified hand therapists all of whom share the goal of obtaining the best outcome we can, and returning our patients to work and play effectively and quickly

Dr. Bernstein's Experience

See how Dr. Bernstein's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Bernstein

Dr. Bernstein accepts 7 insurance carriers

Dr. Bernstein is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Bernstein has admitting privileges.

Dr. Bernstein's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bernstein to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Bernstein's Performance
in New Haven, CT |
Dr. Bernstein is one of the most caring, compassionate doctor's I've had the pleasure of being a patient to. He has always been precise and extremely kind when doing procedures on my hand, and elbow. He explains the procedure beforehand, and provides information in detailed about it. He is also very attentive and pleasant...and handsome too!
in Milford, CT |
Excellent care and very knowledgeable , is up to date with all the latest procedures.
in New Haven, CT |
I have had 2 successful trigger finger surgeries with Dr. Bernstein. He and his staff are kind and amazing. I highly recommend him for any hand surgery!
Fairfield, CT |
After a fall, I went to Ortho now and they sent me to Dr. Bernstein for my right wrist treatment. Was in various casts for 7 1/2 wks, then P.Therapy. My experience was very positive and what impressed me the most was the positive attitude, never having a fx before. was probably a little anxious, and didn 't know what to expect. They offered hope + lead me from one stage to the other, gave me options as to how I wanted to proceed( surgery?, another cast or splint ?) A very kind/efficient staff
Guilford, CT |
Dr. Bernstein made it possible for me to continue doing what I love. The CMC thumb surgery I have had on both hands made all the difference for me. I am an artist and a n author and I make my living with my hands. Before the surgery, Could hardly lift a cup of coffee without pain - that is all gone. I couldn't be happier with the results.
in New Haven, CT |
Thanks Dr. bernstien for getting my hands better so I can get back to work
in SHELTON, CT |
DOCTOR BERNSTEIN IS MY HERO! MY LEFT WRIST WAS BEAUTIFULLY AND EFFECTIVELY REPAIRED BY HIM! HE IS THE BEST AND I AM SOO HAPPY WITH THE GREAT MOBILITY AND STRENGHTH THAT HAS RETURNED MY LIFE AND ACTIVITY BACK TO NORMAL AND HAPPPINESS OF COURSE!!.
New Haven, CT |
Thank you for your compassionate care!
in Meriden, CT |
I just wanted to write and let you know how much I appreciated you holding my hands during my two carpal tunnel surgeries. I appreciated your honesty, great job and reassuring me everything was going to be fine. You and your nurses have excellent bed side manors! I also appreciated that you were available anytime after the surgery if I needed anything. As for your crew at Shoreline Medical Center and your Hamden office, excellent staff! Thank You so much for great service for after care too.
Orange, CT |
Thank you Dr. Bernstein for helping get me back to normal@!
Very very good experience, recommend Dr. Bernstein
in New Haven, CT |
I can't say enough great things about Dr. Bernstein and the physical therapists at the Orthopaedic Group in Branford. I fractured my shoulder (due to a fall) and completely recovered, with full range of motion, five months later ... without needing surgery. I couldn't be more delighted with the care and attention I received. I recommend Dr. Bernstein and his staff without reservation.
in Guilford, CT |
Had a wonderful experience with Dr. Bernstein treating an ongoing problem with my elbow. My previous doctor wanted to operate but the elbow got completely better without surgery. I would highly recommend him.
in Claremont, NH |
Very good experience. I do not like doctors but felt very comfortable. Thought I would need surgery but was successfully treated without surgery
in North Madison, CT |
Dr Bernstein has been helping me with carpal tunnel and some arthritis in my hands. I like to understand as much as I can and they have been very helpful in explaining things. I started seeing him years ago when my symptoms only required splinting and some injections instead of jumping into surgery. Since then the symptoms had gotten worse so I had my left wrist operated on. Dr Bernstein described the procedure and set expectations, the surgery was well organized and everything went well.
in Hamden, CT |
Dr. Bernstein is caring, compassionate, and knowledgeable. Knowledge and depth of the practice is most important, but he also brings a bed side manner that seems like he is caring for his own relative. It is also encouraging when a doctor is not seeking to rush to the knife. Thank you Dr. Bernstein
in Killingworth, CT |
I found Doctor Bernstein to be knowledgeable and experienced, as well as, being concerned about my condition and in providing a positive outcome. He is also very detailed when explaining the options and their potential results.
in North Haven, ct. |
My experience was excellent. Dr. Bernstein is very thorough and professional. My shoulder has recovered very well under his care. My expectations were exceeded. The staff and facility are great.
New Haven, CT |
He is definitely a top expert in his specialty! He is professional and reassuring. I appreciate that he was transparent about the amount of time it would take for my tennis elbow to resolve and truthful about surgery not offering the best prognosis. Thank you Dr Bernstein!
in Branford CT |
I was there for a followup visit for carpal tunnel and I mentioned that my shoulder was hurting also. His reply: "I can schedule you for a visit to look at your shoulder." HUH? I only saw him for 5 minutes and he doesn't have time to look at my shoulder now? He didn't even offer to do a quick check. He always seems like he's in a hurry. He may be a competent surgeon but would you really want him for your doctor? I walked out, and I suggest you do, too.
I am sorry that I was not able to accommodate you for a new problem at the date of your visit. We schedule patients based on followup and new visits. For a new visit, for a new problem we block an appropriate amount of time to do a proper evaluation. Though I cannot comment directly on that day, if there are patients waiting with scheduled appointments, I try the best I can to stay on time. If you had called before hand we could have let you know if we could have arranged the time.
Cheshire, CT |
Dr. Bernstein has changed my life. I had carpal tunnel in my right hand, and I waited too long to consult a doctor and developed nerve damage in my hand. My symptoms were creating difficulties and limitations in my life. Dr. Bernstein performed Carpal Tunnel Release surgery for me, and now my hand is normal and strong and symptom free. He has an excellent bedside manner. I trust his expertise with the utmost of confidence. I would highly recommend Dr. Bernstein to anyone with this problem.
North Smithfield, RI |
Had a very good experience. I was not looking forward to the visit but had my clicking finger cured with one injection of cortisone. Highly recommend
in East Haven, CT |
Dr. Bernstein is one of the best doctors I have ever seen! His office staff is professional, friendly, supportive and clearly explained the procedure and what to expect. Dr. Bernstein performed carpal tunnel surgery on both my left and right hands. Pain and numbness is gone! He has my highest gratitude, and I wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone looking for the best hand specialist there is.
in Orange, CT |
I went to have my trigger finger looked at. I had been suffering with it for over 10 years of it locking while pealing vegetables, tying shoes, etc. Dr Bernstein explained the condition, and after trying an injection, I opted for surgery. I am so pleased, I wish I went sooner. I have full use of my hand and the surgery and recovery was completely explained to me. Thank you Dr Bernstein, Physical therapist and staff.
in East Haven, CT |
Dr. Bernstein took the time to talk to me and explain the surgery I was going to have. the day of surgery he spent time with me joked and made me feel comfortable. would recommend him which I have to any one who will listen.
in Meriden, CT |
Dr. Bernstein has taken care of four different issues with my wrists/hands. During each time he was very thorough in his examination, gave a complete explanation of the problem and treatment, and always solved the problem. During two carpal tunnel surgeries, he showed me his own procedure, which was easy, quick and painless. While having the first one, I literally sang through it, and during the second we chatted. Both times I had IMMEDIATE relief and NO pain! Dr. Bernstein is the BEST!
in Milford, CT |
Dr. B spent no more than 3 min. sitting across from me while VISUALLY inspecting my hands. He arrogantly announced that my previous tests from 2007, which Dx my CTS, were incorrect and the redundant hand X-Ray THEY forced me into having was completely negative-NOT! Any layman could visually inspect my hands and see the obvious discoloration and swelling between the two. He could not! Being in the medical field myself, I would give him 0 stars if that was possible. Very pompous & dismissive.
in Waterford, CT |
I would recommend Dr. Bernstein. This is the second hand surgery that the Richard has perform on my Lt and Rt hand. He has shown a real concern on each of the surgeries.
in Milford, CT |
He was very unsympathetic and unfriendly. He saw me for about three minutes, was pompous, walked out of the room before any discussion. Left the office crying.
in Hamden, CT |
Dr. Bernstein did not even examine my hand (my principal complaint). I felt that he did not listen to me or spend the time with me to understand my issue. He simply said I can't help you and walked out. He gave no explanation and offered no advice. He spent 2 minutes with me and I feel cheated with my bill of $285.
Unfortunately this patient had been discharged from the practice 2 years before for reasons that cannot be disclosed based on HIPPAA. The patient was seen this day, radiographs were done based on the symptoms and though the patient had been discharged, I gave her the courtesy of a diagnosis and description of a potential treatment plan. She was reminded of the prior termination letter but I still tried to counsel the patient on and plan to address her symptoms and transfer her care.
in Guilford, CT |
Dr. Bernstein is both skilled and caring. He has treated me on two occasions for two different conditions involving my hand and fingers. The condition that involved surgery also required physical therapy. Dr. Bernstein's surgery and referrals have fully restored the range of motion and utility of my hand and fingers. I have experienced 100% success and recovery from both conditions.
in Ivoryton, CT |
Dr. Bernstein basically gave me my life (as it should be) back. My carpal tunnel problems were keeping me from doing my work (I'm an artist) and when I could work, it was mostly painful. His style of procedure was easy, quick virtually painless.
in Guilford, CT |
Dr. Bernstein clearly explained my injury and possible treatments. He understood my need to get back to competing in my sport, as an important tournament was approaching. He did what he could to make it happen while ensuring that I healed properly.
Have you seen Dr. Richard Bernstein, MD?

Compare Dr. Bernstein

Dr. Bernstein's Care Philosophy

Dr. Bernstein's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Best Doctors in America, 2005
    • Connecticut Magazine Best Doctors, 2011
    • Best Doctors in New Haven, 2014
    • Best Doctors in Conneticut, 2015
    • Chairman, Residents and Fellows Conference, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2009
    • Best Doctors in Conneticut, 2014
    • Best Doctors in Conneticut, 2013
    • Chairman Scientific Exhibits Committee, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2005
    • Best Doctors in New Haven, 2013
    • Best Doctors in America, 1996

No malpractice history found for Connecticut.

Why It Matters: Dr. Bernstein's Board Certifications

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Disorders
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital Boston Children's Hospital

Completed in 1992

Trinity College

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Bernstein does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bernstein and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery