Dr. Richard Berger, MD

Dr. Richard Berger, MD

Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics | Male

Dr. Richard Berger and his dedicated staff offer the most experienced and comprehensive approach to minimally invasive hip and knee replacement. Dr. Berger was the first to pioneer and perfect these minimally invasive procedures, which result in minimal discomfort and rapid recovery. Now alleviating arthritis pain for more than 1,000 patients each year, Dr. Berger's method allows most patients to walk unaided and leave the hospital the same day of surgery.

Dr. Richard Berger, MD is a joint replacement & reconstruction orthopedics doctor who practices in Chicago, IL. He is 53 years old and has been practicing for 28 years. Dr. Berger is affiliated with Rush University Medical Center.

Dr. Berger's Experience

See how Dr. Berger's experience matches your preferences.

View Video

Visiting Dr. Berger

Dr. Berger accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Berger has admitting privileges.

Dr. Berger's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Berger to family and friends
    4.4
    Dr. Berger's Performance
    in Tyler, TX |
    I had a full knee replacement in Dec 2016. Every part of the experience was completely satisfying. The surgery went well. 2 months after surgery I was back leading a tour group to Israel walking 5 miles a day. 3 months after surgery I was back on the golf course. Some reviews mention not getting much face-time with Dr. Berger. He is the renowned surgeon and correctly focuses his time on the operation. His staff are attentive to every question. I recommend him to ALL my friends with knee problems
    in Tremont, IL |
    No! Dr. Berger is an arrogant man who refuses to help his own surgical patients that have issues. He blamed me for my problems and even refused to examine me. He abandoned me because I represent a problem to his complication rate. I would never recommend him and wish I never went to him in the 1st place.
    in Milwaukee, WI |
    I had an amazing experience and results from my hip replacement surgery with Dr Berger. He is a very skilled surgeon, and his technique is obviously different than a typical, traditional hip replacement surgery. I am a 46 year old woman, who had hip dysplasia, and was to the point of not being able to walk without a limp and constant pain. I was walking without a cane and up and down stairs by day 4 and back to all normal activities by 3 weeks! His staff is attentive and amazing as well.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Patients want great results, and we want to be treated properly in the process. That's exactly what I've experienced with Dr. Berger & his staff. Results: Had hip replacement at 9:00 am and was home by 2:30pm same day...and I walked up 30 stairs with no problem. Within two weeks: back to normal - no pain. Unlike most healthcare providers, Dr. Berger's staff truly understands customer service. At every stage, they've gone out of their way to make this process as easy on me, as it could be.
    in Ottawa,IL |
    I would recommend Dr.Berger to family and friends. Dr Berger and his staff are very professional and made me feel welcomed in their office. Thank you for giving back my life to be able to walk without pain
    in Crest hill, Ill |
    I had a great experience here, and all dr Berger staff were great
    in Troy MI |
    Very positive. Staff is outstanding. Able to answer any question I had and returned calls in a timely fashion. Very pleased with results from Dr. Berger. I have my life back! Thank you.
    in Westchester, IL |
    The whole process was tightly organized and everyone checked and double checked with me on the details. Everyone was attentive and very nice. It was amazing to walk right after the surgery.
    in Plainfield IL |
    Had a great experience.all Dr.Bergers nurses and staff are wonderful.
    in Chicago, Il |
    You would have a hard time finding a doctor less interested in anything you're going through. Waited 4 months to see him. Had a knee replacement that went as wrong as it could. He gave me a few minutes to tell my story, looked over his glasses, said he knew the doctor who did my surgery and thought that I should go home & get over it. Left the room before I could gather my thoughts to tell him what I thought of his 'I walk on water' attitude. His ego leaves little room for patients in his office
    in Westwood Ma |
    Great experience would highly recommend him
    in Streator, Il |
    I was told I would never walk again after multiple fractures sustained in an automobile accident. After a total hip replacement I can walk perfectly.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr. Berger is a phenomenal surgeon and blessed to be a patient of his. His team including the nurses are very professional but also very friendly. Please allow me to express my gratitude and content with meeting specially Vanessa. Vanessa is a very sweet young lady and always has a positive and beautiful smile. On a side note, I think it's great that she is bilingual and I can understand her in my native language. I am appreciative of the procedure and people are amazed at my fast recovery.
    in Houston, Texas |
    Staff is professional, efficient, and kind. Dr. Berger is exceptional in the entire scope of medical care; from the first introductory appointment to the last post op check-up.
    in Hanover, MD |
    Came in a wheelchair. Had both hips done over the summer. Went backpacking in the fall. I'm under 30 and I appreciate an active lifestyle. Super grateful for some solid work from Dr Berger & team. Can't recommend highly enough. Why are you still reading this, go check out his practice already!! You'll love it.
    in Dallas, TX |
    My experience with Dr Berger and his staff exceeded all expectations. His staff was warm, friendly, attentive, & at all times professional. Dr Berger put me at ease immediately, patiently answering all my questions and exhibiting the warmth and caring persona evident in his photo. When I left his office, I had no doubt that my 1000 mile journey from Texas to see him was worth the effort. Plus, he assured me that I will be in shape to return to Africa in December to continue my conservation work
    in Libertyville, IL |
    Excellent. My knee feels fantastic.
    Westchester, IL |
    My first hip replacement went so well that I was playing volleyball again in six to eight weeks!
    in Saint John, IN |
    All went well
    in Avon, Co |
    I had fabulous results and have referred over 5 people to Dr. Berger. All have had fabulous results
    in Chicago, il |
    1st class all the way. Recovery is fast.
    in Overland Park, KS |
    The staff has been very helpful. Nurses have been most responsive and Rush Hospital was excellent!
    in Chicago, Il. |
    Dr. Berger is great and his staff are so efficient and nice.
    in Chicago, IL |
    The entire experience has been fantastic! Both surgeries I experienced the same outstanding care and professionalism from every single person I encountered from check-in to being discharged. Dr. Berger did an amazing job on both of my hips. The recoveries have been very smooth and much quicker than I expected. I was golfing one month after surgery!
    in Houston, TX |
    I had a knee replacement in 2012. I had surgery on a Wednesday and was flying home to Houston that Friday. The following Monday I started PT and in 5 weeks I was done with PT. I never used more than a cane following surgery and I only used it for a week. He listened to me and answered all my questions. From start to finish he and his staff were there when I needed them. Here I am in 2016 coming back to him to have my second knee replacement. I recommend him to anyone for knee and hip replacement
    in Minooka, IL |
    The initial visit with Dr. Berger may take some time but after that everything went smoothly. Everything is scheduled together for your pre op physical, and information meeting. Surgery went smoothly, and I was able to return to work as an electrician without any restrictions after 12 weeks of getting both knees replaced. The Dr. and his staff treated with the utmost professionalism, and have recommended him many times to friends and they have been treated the same. I highly recommend Dr. Berger
    in Texas |
    I had a hip replacement 3 days ago. The results are everything promised. I am a physician with 27 years experience. I went to Dr. Berger for his technical expertise. He answered all my questions at the pre op visit, came to my room before surgery to answer more questions. and met with my brother after surgery. I spent enough time with Dr. Berger and never felt rushed. However, we did not chit chat, we discussed the procedure thoroughly. My alignment and leg length is perfect. His team is great.
    in omaha ne |
    He is the best orthopedic surgeon in America. He uses minimal invasive surgery. He does not cut through muscle. Dr. Berger developed his tecnique,tools,and implants. He may be the most experienced surgeon performing over 1000 replacements a year. I had knee replacement surgery yesterday and was walking up stairs a couple of hours later. Today I am walking without a crutch and have 110 degree.flexion I am a physician and did my research. I am so impressed.i wish I had more space to . recommend
    Have you seen Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
    Are you Dr. Berger?

Dr. Berger's Care Philosophy

Dr. Berger's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Berger's Board Certifications

• Adhesive Capsulitis
    • Ataxia
    • Baker’s Cyst
    • Chondrocalcinosis
    • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
    • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
    • Femur Fracture
    • Foot Fracture
    • Gout
    • Hip Fracture
    • Internal Derangement of Knee
    • Knee Dislocation
    • Knee Fracture
    • Knee Sprain
    • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture
    • Sjögren's Syndrome
    • Still's Disease

Tufts University School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1989

Department Of General Surgery University Health Center Hospitals Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Completed in 1990