Dr. Richard Berger, MD

Reconstructive Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 58

Dr. Berger

Illinois - Midwest Orthopedics At Rush

1611 W Harrison St Ste 400 Chicago, IL 60612

Dr. Richard Berger, MD is a Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Chicago, IL and has over 32 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Tufts University School Of Medicine medical school in 1989. He is affiliated with Rush University Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Berger to book an appointment.

Compare with other Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Berger with our nearby Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.

Make an appointment at Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital today at (630) 360-2663.

These providers are on the medical staff of Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital.

Dr. Berger's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Berger

4.5

Dr. Berger?
  • Office environment (137)
  • Staff friendliness (137)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (128)
  • Long wait times (26)
  • Appointment was rushed (23)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (17)
Professional, courteous, timely And very very talented
Thomas Pigg – Jun 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
I came from Costa Rica as I had heard wonders about Dr.Berger. He is not only a great doctor, but he also has a great team ! They go above and beyond , very human , and are with you every step. My expectations were surpassed!
Valery Echavarría – Jun 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
The results speak for themselves: my hip replacement surgery began at 8:15 a.m. and I was home by 1:30 p.m. and walking without a cane in two days. Today, six weeks after surgery, I rode my bike 12 miles, walked 2.5 miles and did yoga. Dr. Berger's office fully prepared me as to what to expect at every step along the way; the office runs like a well-oiled machine. I did not have much face-time with Dr. Berger (he is busy!), but he was friendly, answered my questions and inspired confidence when I did see him; otherwise, his very professional staff took good care of me. If you have been suffering from arthritis in the hip, Dr. Berger's minimally invasive procedure is the way to go. One note: Dr. Berger recommends getting the Game Ready therapy device for recovery; I did and thought it really helped with a quick and pain-free recovery.
Excellent Experience – May 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Highly efficient support staff made preparation for my office visit seamless. A virtual teaching session provided extensive info on the procedure itself, as well as pre and post op instructions. Dr. Berger took the time to go over surgical options with me before the office visit, so the decision as to type of knee replacement was easily made with Dr. Berger at our visit. Surgery day proceeded well, the with staff at Rush taking excellent care of me. I still have rehab ahead of me, but already have less pain after the surgery than I did before. I will highly recommend Dr. Berger and his staff to friends and family members. For me, the trip from Philadelphia to Chicago was well worth it, to take advantage of Dr. Bergers expertise in minimally invasive and partial knee replacements.
Robert W Rees-Jones – May 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Berger did both knees(total replacement) 5.5 months apart. I trained for 3 months before the first one and worked at pt between and after surgery. Berger did a perfect job on both. I was in my 60's a bit heavy 6-2 230 and he is amazing! I have referred others all satisfied. please consider hm.
Stephen Maras – May 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
I had a great experience with my both knee replacements. Dr Berger’s staff is excellent. Dr Berger answered all of my and my wife’s questions before surgery. Both surgeries went great and I was up walking and climbing stairs 3 hours after surgery.
John H – Apr 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Hip and knee replacement are not miracle surgeries. There are so many things that can go wrong. I had both hips replaced by Dr. Berger and I am wondering why I did. My anatomy is completely changed, leg length difference. I have back pain now 8 months after the second surgery. Two surgeries later, I just traded hip pain for back pain.
  • Long wait times
Ms. Conrad – Apr 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Everyone from clerks to nurses to Doctors were very knowledgeable, they gave thorough and understandable responses to all my questions. I am expecting a good outcome.
Apr 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Great experience. The surgery went smoothly and I was walking up and down a flight of stsirs 2 hours after getting a full knee replacement. And Dr Berger’s support staff is the most organized, efficient, friendly and responsive group of health care professionals I have ever seen.
Michael A. – Apr 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Had both my knees done and feel like a new man. No more pain. Dr. Berger and his staff are great. They are so caring and always there to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for everything.
Mar 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
I had bilateral knee replacements by Dr. Berger. I was hesitant to have knee replacements. The procedure scared me, I was afraid of the pain. I am a nurse and was afraid I wouldn't be able to go back to work for months. I did my left july 2020 and my right nov. 2020. I went back to work in 3 weeks with both. He was great. The pain was not as bad as I expected. I walked out of the surgical center the same day and went home. The whole team is wonderful! Great experience, great customer service. Highly recommended!
  • Long wait times
Wendy P. – Feb 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Dr. Berger said that I was the perfect candidate for complete knee replacement. I was 47, healthy, and active. 6'2, 190 lbs. Three years after knee replacement, I'm having constant pain, swelling and instability on a daily basis. He told me that "I was tall" and should take pain meds daily for the rest of my life. He doesn't take Medicare or Medicaid as he was caught not performing the surgeries himself a while back. Check it out. Also, you will be required to buy a lot of meds ahead of time. You will start with Norco before going in and will take a ton of stuff. After surgery I was taking Oxycontin, Hydrocodone, Lyrica, Cyclobenzaprine, and Klonopin all at the same time, oh and blood thinners and laxatives. Took me almost five months to get off the Norco. They encourage and create an opioid culture there under the guise of needing to keep down pain so that you complete the rehab. Be very careful!!! Everyone loves this guy but there is another side to him, so do your research.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Berger Loves Himself and You On Opioids – Jan 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Hip Arthroplasty and Leg Length Discrepancy A couple of months after my first hip surgery I started noticing the other hip hurting on the outside (not groin area). This was most likely due to the new hip not being the same length as the other. Once the second hip was replaced it became increasingly apparent that my gait was off. Leg Length Discrepancy, LLD is common with hip surgery. I was unaware of LLD and it has caused a number of issues I did not have before, herniated disc, sciatica and uneven gait. There is nothing I can do at this point except pass this information on.
Jan 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
My visit was for a 3 week post-op appointment for my LTKR surgery. I am very pleased with the professionalism of Dr. Berger and his staff. After extensive research I concluded that Dr. Berger was indeed the best Orthopedic Surgeon for me. I highly recommend Dr. Berger if you want an organized surgical team, highly skilled doctor who performs surgery by using a less invasive procedure, if you’d like a faster recovery time, less pain and great life changing results. I can truly say my quality of life has been improved tremendously by replacing both of my knees.
Elaine – Jan 07, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
I expected surgery to go well with Dr Berger and it did . I have not one complaint with the entire process . From the initial contact to scheduling physical therapy in my hometown , not one problem. He has a team of amazing professionals and all together they get you back to your life feeling good again .
Joan Fletcher – Jan 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Dr. Berger is very impressive in person. He is professional and totally patient focused. His staff is also outstanding. The multi-faceted appointment was very efficient and thorough. I have very complete information and feel very comfortable with this practice after just one appointment. This is quite a commitment for me since it is 500 miles from my home. I just cannot pass up his procedures and phenomenal results.
Knee patient – Dec 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Please do your research before you have a knee replacement. It has been several months since my knee surgery and I still have knee pain whenever I walk. This pain is more severe than I had before surgery. I have done all the prescribed therapy and Dr Berger told me to just keep taking more pain medicine. I wish someone would have discussed this possible outcome with me during my pre-op consultation.
Dec 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Dr. Berger did a total knee replacement on my left knee. 24 hours later I was walking on my own with no pain. Returned to work 3 weeks after surgery. I am walking every day with my wife up to 1 mile. If you are going to have a knee replacement done I would highly recommend Dr. Berger. This is the second one that he has done. First one was 9 years ago on my right knee and after that one I was playing golf within 3 weeks.
Shawn McDonald – Nov 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
Dr Berger Is an exceptional person. His work is outstanding and he definitely improves the quality of life for those he treats. Thank you so much for improving mine. Both knees were replaced with remarkable results. His staff is outstanding as well, with their positive, professional and caring attitudes.
Nov 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?
In September 2019 I had my left knee replaced by Dr Berger and in December 2019 my right knee replaced. I had had five previous arthroscopic procedures and had tried the knee injections twice. Dr Berger and his team came highly recommended and exceeded all my expectations. I followed all of Dr Berger protocols & used the Game Ready machine consistently (60 hours) with my leg elevated for 3 days after each surgery. As a result I never had any swelling. Within a couple weeks I was at 120 degree bend with both legs and continued a daily stretching regimen (3x a day) for the next few months. By spring 2020 I was back to all my favorite sports tennis, biking and swimming. At 68, it is truly amazing to feel and move in a normal manner even when going up or down steps or carrying a 24 pack of water. I just had my one-year checkup with Dr Berger and his staff this week and life could not be better. Thank you Dr Berger, you & your staff are my angels on Earth. God bless you and your families.
David Banas – Oct 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Richard Berger, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Berger?

Dr. Richard Berger and his dedicated staff offer the most experienced and comprehensive approach to minimally invasive hip and knee replacement. Dr. Berger...Read more

• Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery

1996
Rush University Medical Center
1994
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
1990
Department of General Surgery University Health Center Hospitals Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1989