Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD

Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD

Psychiatry  ·
Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD is a psychiatry specialist in Mount Pleasant, SC and has been practicing for 23 years. He graduated from Far Eastern Univ Hosp in 1989 and specializes in psychiatry, child & adolescent psychiatry, and more.Read his story

887 Johnnie Dodds Blvd Ste 100

Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina

Learn about Dr. Fermo

See how frequently Dr. Fermo performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

ADHD and-or ADD
Psychiatric Diseases
Major Depressive Disorder

Dr. Fermo's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Fermo's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Fermo "My name is Ric Fermo. I am a double board certified adult and child & adolescent psychiatrist with over 25 years experience. I completed my residency training at the University of Cincinnati and child fellowship at the University of Cincinnati 's Children's Hospital. I provide a through diagnosis, including co-morbidities, support and psycho-education to my patients, so that they can make the best decision for an individualized treatment plan. Although I have been practicing psychiatry for many years, my experience in the field, goes back to my teenage years growing up with parents, who were both were psychiatrists. We lived on state hospital grounds prior to the deinstitutionalization in the late 70s and 80s. I began my work as a high school student working in food preparation at the age of 15 at Central State Hospital in Norman Oklahoma, and later working as a psychiatric aide at the facility, while I was a pre-medical student. Once I completed medical school, unlike many in the field of medicine, I was determined to be a psychiatrist. While I was a resident and fellow at the University of Cincinnati, I had excellent supervisors throughout my training including many thought leaders in the area of anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, major depression, psychotic disorders like schizophrenia, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I have had extensive psycho-dynamic training to augment very strong psychopharmacological background. To augment this training, I moonlighted, and eventually became the director of the Alcoholism Clinic, Crisis Stabilization at the University of Cincinnati inpatient hospital, Psychiatric Emergency Services at U.C., and the homeless shelter in Cincinnati. I have worked with the chronically mentally ill as well as professionals with various forms of psychiatric conditions. Once I completed my fellowship in child psychiatry at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, I moved to Charleston, South Carolina to work at a private psychiatric hospital. I worked on an acute inpatient psychiatric unit for both children and adults, as well as substance use disorders. I also started an outpatient psychiatric clinic at the facility. I was the clinical director of the child and adolescent program which included a residential treatment center. I eventually became the medical director of the psychiatric facility and in transition to a newly formed psychiatric corporation. I later transitioned the program to what is now called Palmetto Behavioral Health in Charleston South Carolina. After working in a private facility for many years I was brought on to the Medical University of South Carolina as an attending physician, in the position of Assistant Clinical Professor, working at two of their outpatient psychiatric sites in Mount Pleasant and West Ashley. I eventually became the Clinical Director of the East Cooper Outpatient Clinic for the Medical University of South Carolina. In 2010, I started a private outpatient clinic in Mount Pleasant called East Cooper's psychiatric solutions, LLC, which eventually evolved into my own solo private practice called Fermo Psychiatric Solutions, Incorporated. At this clinic I provide adult, including elderly, and child & adolescent psychiatric evaluations, diagnosis including treatment and educate my patients about their conditions to improve their prognosis. I strive to make them functional individuals and improve their quality of life."

This content was provided by Dr. Fermo "To provide promote outstanding, comprehensive outpatient psychiatric care, by making services quickly accessible, treating our clients with respect and dignity, providing our best expertise to the coastal Carolina area. I am patient oriented, believe in a strong therapeutic alliance, and I always have my patients "best interest" in mind. My Philosophy in treatment includes the 3 E's in treatment: Evidence based, Experience, and Emotional intuition. I keep up with the latest medical science involving psychiatry on a daily basis, so that I can provide my patients with the latest information they need, to give them the best prognosis for their condition. I also work to de-stigmatize psychiatry and help my patient understand that like many other medical conditions there is evidence based treatment and often these medical conditions are intertwined with psychiatry. Thus treating both conditions can improve an individual's, all round, well being. "

• Psychiatry

• Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychoeducation
  • Psychopharmacologic Treatment
  • Supportive Counseling

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

• University Of Oklahoma
  • University Of Cincinnati and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Centers
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995
  • Norman, High School, Norman, Ok
    Other Education | Completed 1977

• Voted Best Psychiatrist in Mount Pleasant, SC by Mount Pleasant Magazine, 2013

Dr. Fermo has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Fermo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fermo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Fermo's Reviews

2.9
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fermo to family and friends

Dr. Fermo's Performance

Dr. Fermo Says:
"

I look forward to patient satisfaction surveys. I will use the feedback to constructively improve the quality of care I provide. I believe the more feedback I receive will help me follow trends to help me provide a better service. I will start to recommend to all of my patients, to provide feedback.

"

The staff at Dr. Fermo's office is great, friendly and tends to all my needs. Dr. Fermo can run late at times due to being with other patients but its expected as situations that are uncontrollable do arise along with last minute patients who may need to be seen.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr. Fermo appears to be extremely knowledgeable, however that all of the knowledge in the world does not make up for his lack of caring and the thoughtlessness and inconsideration of his office. There have been two separate occasions I have not been able to reach his office for weeks. Use the...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr. Fermo is professional and knowledgeable. I find that it is okay to wait a little longer since it’s such a small staff. They do try. Dr. Fermo is educated beyond belief and is more knowledgeable than I could have ever imagined. Plus he is a likable guy that has some unique office decor.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr. Furmo is knowledgeable but has no idea what he is doing in his practice. I made my appointments at 6am in the morning because he runs so far behind and you will be in the office all day. He does not take adequate notes and has caused serious complications with my mental health, because he does...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr Fermo provides excellent care. As a Dual Diagnosis Alcoholic patient I feel confident that I am with the right doctor.