Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD

Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD

Psychiatry | Male

Fermo Psychiatric Solutions, Inc 887 Johnnie Dodds Blvd Ste 100, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464 Get Directions

To provide promote outstanding, comprehensive outpatient psychiatric care, by making services quickly accessible, treating our clients with respect and dignity, providing our best expertise to the coastal Carolina area. I am patient oriented, believe in a strong therapeutic alliance, and I always have my patients "best interest" in mind. My Philosophy in treatment includes the 3 E's in treatment: Evidence based, Experience, and Emotional intuition. I keep up with the latest medical science involving psychiatry on a daily basis, so that I can provide my patients with the latest information they need, to give them the best prognosis for their condition. I also work to de-stigmatize psychiatry and help my patient understand that like many other medical conditions there is evidence based treatment and often these medical conditions are intertwined with psychiatry. Thus treating both conditions can improve an individual's, all round, well being.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Fermo's Experience

See how Dr. Fermo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Fermo

Dr. Fermo accepts 2 insurance carriers

Dr. Fermo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fermo to family and friends
2.9
Dr. Fermo Says:

I look forward to patient satisfaction surveys. I will use the feedback to constructively improve the quality of care I provide. I believe the more feedback I receive will help me follow trends to help me provide a better service. I will start to recommend to all of my patients, to provide feedback.

Dr. Fermo's Performance
Hamlet, NC |
compassionate psychiatrist.
in Mp, sc |
Worst run business in town. Has 3 assistants and still can not run a Biz. Very good doc but every time I know I'm going to see him it is a dreaded day , all day wait and never calls back. Stay away !!!
in Charleston, SC |
Dr. Fermo is very comfortable to talk to. I was being treated for depression and very heavy anxiety, so needless to say, i wasn't very forthcoming when i was asked questions. Dr Fermo was very patient and never made me feel rushed. I've been seeing him for over 6 years now, and i'm like night and day. My life is so much more than it was. I'm lucky i found Dr Fermo.
in Charleston, SC |
Dr.Fermo made me feel as though I am not alone, suffering from anxiety and depression. I always feel better after my visits with him. He is honest and attentive .I honestly don't know how I would get through this without him . I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs help with their own issues . I thank Him. Sincerely, Paula Elizabeth Schaefer
Mount Pleasant, SC |
I would not recommend this doctor. He is knowledgeable but does not return calls ...hopefully you don't use him if you have a serious situation.
There are situations when I may have a patient in a crisis situation which could extend the wait time. We tried to notify the patient in these unforeseeable situations in practice AIDET in our office. We even go as far as contacting the patients by phone if there is an emergency. This would be the case in any outpatient practice when there is an emergency. I spend a lot of time with my patients explaining the risk benefits and alternatives to treatment. Which make the last three items false.
Have you seen Dr. Ricardo Fermo, MD?

Compare Dr. Fermo

Dr. Fermo says...

My name is Ric Fermo. I am a double board certified adult and child & adolescent psychiatrist with over 25 years experience. I completed my residency training at the University of Cincinnati and child fellowship at the University of Cincinnati 's Children's Hospital. I provide a through diagnosis, including co-morbidities, support and psycho-education to my patients, so that they can make the best decision for an individualized treatment plan.

Although I have been practicing psychiatry for many years, my experience in the field, goes back to my teenage years growing up with parents, who were both were psychiatrists. We lived on state hospital grounds prior to the deinstitutionalization in the late 70s and 80s.

I began my work as a high school student working in food preparation at the age of 15 at Central State Hospital in Norman Oklahoma, and later working as a psychiatric aide at the facility, while I was a pre-medical student. Once I completed medical school, unlike many in the field of medicine, I was determined to be a psychiatrist. While I was a resident and fellow at the University of Cincinnati, I had excellent supervisors throughout my training including many thought leaders in the area of anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, major depression, psychotic disorders like schizophrenia, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I have had extensive psycho-dynamic training to augment very strong psychopharmacological background. To augment this training, I moonlighted, and eventually became the director of the Alcoholism Clinic, Crisis Stabilization at the University of Cincinnati inpatient hospital, Psychiatric Emergency Services at U.C., and the homeless shelter in Cincinnati. I have worked with the chronically mentally ill as well as professionals with various forms of psychiatric conditions.

Once I completed my fellowship in child psychiatry at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, I moved to Charleston, South Carolina to work at a private psychiatric hospital. I worked on an acute inpatient psychiatric unit for both children and adults, as well as substance use disorders. I also started an outpatient psychiatric clinic at the facility. I was the clinical director of the child and adolescent program which included a residential treatment center. I eventually became the medical director of the psychiatric facility and in transition to a newly formed psychiatric corporation. I later transitioned the program to what is now called Palmetto Behavioral Health in Charleston South Carolina.

After working in a private facility for many years I was brought on to the Medical University of South Carolina as an attending physician, in the position of Assistant Clinical Professor, working at two of their outpatient psychiatric sites in Mount Pleasant and West Ashley. I eventually became the Clinical Director of the East Cooper Outpatient Clinic for the Medical University of South Carolina. In 2010, I started a private outpatient clinic in Mount Pleasant called East Cooper's psychiatric solutions, LLC, which eventually evolved into my own solo private practice called Fermo Psychiatric Solutions, Incorporated. At this clinic I provide adult, including elderly, and child & adolescent psychiatric evaluations, diagnosis including treatment and educate my patients about their conditions to improve their prognosis. I strive to make them functional individuals and improve their quality of life.

Dr. Fermo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Fermo says...

My expertise is in clinically diagnosing psychiatric conditions in children to advanced aged adults. I believe in a through psychiatric evaluation to rule in or out other psychiatric or medical co-morbidities that often exists to tailor an individual treatment plan to address my patients needs. , I am an expert in multiple psychiatric disease states, psychopharmacology, psycho-education, supportive psychotherapy as well as other forms of psychiatric interventions. I work with numerous allied professions when necessary i.e. Psychotherapists whom I refer to or who may refer to me, primary care, physicians, psychologists for various psychological testing. My goal is to treat or improve the disease burden of psychiatric illnesses and improve my patients prognosis, as well as their quality of life.

Dr. Fermo says...

I am an expert in treating affective disorders which include major depression (clinical depression), bipolar Disorder or an atypical mood disorder as well as anxiety. It is not uncommon that patients have been suffering from depression,  mood swings, anxiety for many years or have had unsuccessful treatments in the past. Is use the model of "Biopsychosocial" theory. My expertise is in biological psychiatry or psychopharmacology. I work with many psychotherapists, collaboratively, to help address psychosocial issues that many patients need, to improve their mental condition and provide mental stability. In many of these cases, I do a thorough evaluation to rule out other co-morbidities such as psychiatric conditions or medical problems that could be preventing the patient from improving from their mood disorder. Conditions such as substance use disorder, severe anxiety, interpersonal relationship conflicts, systemic medical conditions such as endocrine disorders, pain syndromes, sleep disorders etc. I provide psycho-education and support to my patients to help them get their mood disorder stabilized. An example is anxiety and mood disorders such as major depression or bipolar disorder often co-exists. Another example is insomnia and depression or anxiety often co-exists. Each one of these conditions must be addressed in treatment and in order of priority to effectively treat an individual.

I keep up with the latest medical literature in treating mood disorders such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, or depression associated with extreme anxiety, including the latest innovations, medications that may improve target symptoms of depression, or using augmentation strategies that are evidence-based to improve other psychotropic interventions.

My goal in treating major depression is remission!

Dr. Fermo says...

Dr. Fermo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry
  •  Malpractice claims in South Carolina not available

• Voted Best Psychiatrist in Mount Pleasant, SC by Mount Pleasant Magazine, 2013

Dr. Fermo has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Fermo's Board Certifications

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adult Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Alcohol Related Disorders
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Insomnia
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Persistent Anxiety
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Postpartum Depression

Graduated in 1982

• Other Education
    Norman, High School, Norman, Ok

Completed in 1977

Dr. Fermo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fermo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Psychiatry