Dr. Ricardo J. Fermo, MD

Dr. Ricardo J. Fermo, MD

Psychiatry | Male

Learn about this Doctor

To provide promote outstanding, comprehensive outpatient psychiatric care, by making services quickly accessible, treating our clients with respect and dignity, providing our best expertise to the coastal Carolina area. I am patient oriented, believe in a strong therapeutic alliance, and I always have my patients "best interest" in mind. My Philosophy in treatment includes the 3 E's in treatment: Evidence based, Experience, and Emotional intuition. I keep up with the latest medical science involving psychiatry on a daily basis, so that I can provide my patients with the latest information they need, to give them the best prognosis for their condition. I also work to de-stigmatize psychiatry and help my patient understand that like many other medical conditions there is evidence based treatment and often these medical conditions are intertwined with psychiatry. Thus treating both conditions can improve an individual's, all round, well being.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Fermo's Experience

93Experience
Match

See how Dr. Fermo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Fermo

Dr. Fermo accepts 2 insurance carriers

Dr. Fermo's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fermo to family and friends
2.8
Experience with Dr. Fermo
Dr. Fermo's Office & Staff
    31 – 45 minutes (53)
Dr. Ricardo J. Fermo, MD says

I look forward to patient satisfaction surveys. I will use the feedback to constructively improve the quality of care I provide. I believe the more feedback I receive will help me follow trends to help me provide a better service. I will start to recommend to all of my patients, to provide feedback.

in Charleston, SC |
Dr. Fermo is very comfortable to talk to. I was being treated for depression and very heavy anxiety, so needless to say, i wasn't very forthcoming when i was asked questions. Dr Fermo was very patient and never made me feel rushed. I've been seeing him for over 6 years now, and i'm like night and day. My life is so much more than it was. I'm lucky i found Dr Fermo.
in Charleston, SC |
Dr.Fermo made me feel as though I am not alone, suffering from anxiety and depression. I always feel better after my visits with him. He is honest and attentive .I honestly don't know how I would get through this without him . I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs help with their own issues . I thank Him. Sincerely, Paula Elizabeth Schaefer
Mount Pleasant, SC |
I would not recommend this doctor. He is knowledgeable but does not return calls ...hopefully you don't use him if you have a serious situation.
Have you seen Dr. Ricardo J. Fermo, MD?

Compare Dr. Fermo

• Psychiatry
  • Adult Psychiatry
  • Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Why It Matters: Dr. Fermo's Board Certifications

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

Dr. Fermo says..

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder whether it be in children or adults requires a through psychiatric evaluation to rule out co-morbidities. Such co-morbidites include learning disabilities, anxiety, depression,insomnia, interpersonal relational problems, occupational problems, substance use disorders etc. Also there may be times that an individual may not have ADHD but another disorder that masks itself by displaying ADHD symptoms. A through psychiatric evaluation which may include several interviews, use of rating scales, ruling out other conditions and even psychological testing to rule in or out ADHD with or without other co-morbidities.

Many times with ADHD co-morbidity is the rule!

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Adult Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Alcohol Related Disorders
  • Autism
  • Behavioral Disorders
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Childhood Depression
  • Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder
  • Disruptive Behavior Disorders
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
  • Fatigue
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Insomnia
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Persistent Anxiety
  • Phobia
  • Postpartum Depression
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychosis
  • Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Substance Use Disorders
  • Tic Disorders
  • Tourette's Syndrome

Dr. Fermo says..

I am an expert in treating affective disorders which include major depression (clinical depression), bipolar Disorder or an atypical mood disorder as well as anxiety. It is not uncommon that patients have been suffering from depression,  mood swings, anxiety for many years or have had unsuccessful treatments in the past. Is use the model of "Biopsychosocial" theory. My expertise is in biological psychiatry or psychopharmacology. I work with many psychotherapists, collaboratively, to help address psychosocial issues that many patients need, to improve their mental condition and provide mental stability. In many of these cases, I do a thorough evaluation to rule out other co-morbidities such as psychiatric conditions or medical problems that could be preventing the patient from improving from their mood disorder. Conditions such as substance use disorder, severe anxiety, interpersonal relationship conflicts, systemic medical conditions such as endocrine disorders, pain syndromes, sleep disorders etc. I provide psycho-education and support to my patients to help them get their mood disorder stabilized. An example is anxiety and mood disorders such as major depression or bipolar disorder often co-exists. Another example is insomnia and depression or anxiety often co-exists. Each one of these conditions must be addressed in treatment and in order of priority to effectively treat an individual.

I keep up with the latest medical literature in treating mood disorders such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, or depression associated with extreme anxiety, including the latest innovations, medications that may improve target symptoms of depression, or using augmentation strategies that are evidence-based to improve other psychotropic interventions.

My goal in treating major depression is remission!

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Medication Management
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychoeducation
  • Psychopharmacologic Treatment
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Supportive Counseling

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

Far Eastern Univ Hosp

Graduated in 1982

• Other Education
    Norman, High School, Norman, Ok

Completed in 1977

• Voted Best Psychiatrist in Mount Pleasant, SC by Mount Pleasant Magazine, 2013

Dr. Fermo has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Fermo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fermo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Fermo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Psychiatry
  • Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry
  • Malpractice claims in South Carolina not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Fermo

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Fermo's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
31 – 45 minutes

Experience with Dr. Fermo

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Fermo says...

My name is Ric Fermo. I am a double board certified adult and child & adolescent psychiatrist with 25 years experience. I completed my residency training at the University of Cincinnati and child fellowship at the University of Cincinnati 's Children's Hospital. I provide a through diagnosis, including co-morbidities, support and psycho-education to my patients, so that they can make the best decision for an individualized treatment plan.

Although I have been practicing psychiatry for many years, my experience in the field, goes back to my teenage years growing up with parents, who both were psychiatrists. We lived on state hospital grounds prior to the deinstitutionalization in the late 70s and 80s.

I began my work as a psychiatric aid while I was a pre-medical student. Once I completed medical school, unlike many in the field of medicine, I was determined to be a psychiatrist. While I was a resident and fellow at the University of Cincinnati, I had excellent supervisors throughout my training. To augment this training, I moonlighted, at the alcoholism clinic, crisis stabilization at the U.C. inpatient hospital, psychiatric emergency services at U.C., and the homeless shelter in Cincinnati.

Once I completed my fellowship in child psychiatry at children's hospital in Cincinnati, I moved to Charleston, South Carolina to work at a private psychiatric Hospital. I worked on an acute inpatient psychiatric unit for both children and adults as well as chemical dependency. I also started an outpatient clinic. I was the medical director of the child and adolescent residential treatment home at the facility and I eventually became the medical director of the whole psychiatric hospital.

Later on in my career worked at the medical University of South Carolina as an attending physician, working at two of their outpatient psychiatric sites. I eventually became the clinical Director of the East Cooper outpatient clinic for the medical University of South Carolina. In 2010, I started a private outpatient clinic in Mount Pleasant called East Cooper's psychiatric solutions, LLC, which eventually evolved into my own solo private practice called Fermo psychiatric Solutions, Incorporated. At this clinic I provide adult and child & adolescent psychiatric evaluations, diagnosis including treatment and educate my patients about their conditions to improve their prognosis. I strive to make then functional individuals in their environment.

Dr. Fermo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Fermo says...

Many times with ADHD co-morbidity is the rule!

Dr. Fermo says...

My goal in treating major depression is remission!