Dr. Rene Sotelo, MD

Urology | Male

USC NORRIS CANCER CENTER 1441 EASTLAKE AVE Ste 7416 Los Angeles, CA 90089 Get Directions
Dr. Rene Sotelo, MD
Rene Sotelo MD is one of the most expert & experienced laparoscopic/robotic surgeons internationally. Hailing from Latin America, he is a pioneer in robotic surgery for complex urinary fistulae in females and males, benign prostate enlargement & inguinal lymph node dissection for cancer. He has helped develop the novel concepts of single-port "belly-button" and natural orifice surgery. Professor Sotelo's experience with advanced robotic & laparoscopic surgery exceeds 2,300 personal cases, making him amongst the most experienced in the world. Reasons why the California Medical Board, consider the request of USC and gave Prof Sotelo, Special Faculty Permit to practice medicine at Univ of Southern California School of Medicine.

Dr. Sotelo's Care Philosophy

Mi filosofia es el prestarle la mejor atencion posible, en forma oportuna y con el mas alto nivel académico, en donde los principios éticos son mi mayor compromiso con Usted, no es solo una cuestion de lenguaje, es entender en profundidad nuestras culturas , y como atenderlo. Permitame ser parte de su historia. My filosofy is to offer the best posible care, in and effective way with the most high level of ethics and academic medicine, is not only language , is that I understand our diferente culture and how to take care of you, let me be part of your history.

Dr. Sotelo's Experience

See how Dr. Sotelo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Sotelo

Dr. Sotelo accepts 13 insurance carriers

Dr. Sotelo is now accepting new patients
USC UROLOGICAL ASSOCIATES1441 EASTLAKE AVE Ste 7416
Los Angeles, CA 90089
(323) 865-3700Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Sotelo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Sotelo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sotelo to family and friends
Dr. Sotelo Says:

Gracias por su opinion, es muy importante para mi, es motivo de inspiracion para seguir adelante. Gracias por permitirme ser parte de su historia, Usted es parte de la mía.

Dr. Sotelo's Performance
in Redondo Beach CA |
An excellent surgeon, Dr. Sotelo has the additional human quality of deeply caring about his patients, with a specific sense of responsibility. After a morning consultation which resulted in worrying conclusions, I witnessed Dr. Sotelo's sense of responsibility first hand: together with his assistant he worked the phones and his knowledge of the hospital operations to fast track several additional tests needed for a conclusion. Fortunately, the final diagnostic indicated a condition which could
in Sierra Madre, CA |
Dr. Sotelo is not just a great surgeon, he is an artist. The two surgeries he did for me were so well planned and successful but also they healed so well that they are barley visible and are getting even better as time goes by. He is great to talk with and also speaks English and Spanish too. He is a very superior Dr. His surgery plans were so far superior to the other advise I had received.
in Florida |
I would recommend dr Sotelo because he's very profesional and with experience in his area but also a very kind person. Personally I'm very grateful for his job
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Rene Sotelo is an amazing surgeon and a wonderful human being. I felt I was in the best hands, he treated me as a friend, answering all my calls immediately. Every person I met in the Hospital spoke highly about him, I got the feeling that he is a very appreciated and respected surgeon among colleages and hospital staff. I felt as a VIP patient, treated by one of the best and most experienced robotic surgeons worldwide who gave me a sincere, caring and warm treatment. Thank you Dr. Rene.
in Woodland Hills, CA |
Dr Sotelo and his amazing staff have given my father a new lease on life. He performed a procedure that several other surgeons had just dismissed as too complicated. The care that both he and his dedicated staff have shown is greatly appreciated and unparalleled as far as we have experienced.
in Visalia, CA |
My husband Mike had a prostatectomy 4 years ago. He developed a fistula that necessitated a double barrel ostomy. After having to wear a catheter for 3 months, 2 procedures a major surgery that left him with two fistulas we found Dr. Sotelo. We were very discouraged at this point and thought that this would be my husbands physical condition for the rest of his life. Dr, Sotelo's confidence, expertise, and patience in explaining what he could accomplish was what helped us to try again.Success!
in Maracaibo, V |
Great doctor , my partial nefrectomy went very well DR Sotelo he gives you personal attention and his expertise in robotic sugery makes the diferences for a better outcome. I recomend DR Sotelo for urology and surgery any day. Nothing but great recomendations.
in Miami, Fl |
I would recommend Dr Sotelo for his professional excellence as well as how good he applies the science and technology in the surgical processes.
in Claremont, CA |
Dr Sotelo surgical work was truly outstanding. He not only did roboticic work to remove my prostate, but also found and repaired two hernias, saving me another surgical intervention. Both his pre-op and post-op care was sensitive, open, and thorough. Once out of recovery, I never needed narcotic pain relief, and stopped all pain meds in 3 days. Terrific surgeon.
in North Hollywood, CA |
Outstanding sergon Great confident builder. Very easy to talk to could not ask for better results .
in Miramar, FL |
A young 38 years old man who had surgery. I had surgery on my left kidney as a consequence of a malignant tumor, this surgery changed from an organ extraction to an oncological surgery. Since it was not only a kidney but the Bazo and some parts of my pancreas. I am extremely thankful to God and to the wonderful, miracle worker's hands of Dr. Rene Sotero because today I live a plenty, happy and healthy life with my wife and children.
in Miami, Fla |
Doctor Ren? Sotelo, is not only an outstanding medical doctor, but an outstanding human being. He treated me from an urologic condition and knew exactly how tu give me confidence about the process and to take the decision about the surgery. The team he leaders is academic, as well as polite. I feel all the time safe and in home. Always thankfull.
in Valencia, Venezuela |
• Dear Dr. Rene Sotelo: I want to formally thank the wonderful care provided before and after prostate surgery (prostatectomy Simple) to which I was subjected for you. In Kenneth Norris Jr. Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital of the University of Southern California.
in Doral, FL |
In 2014, Dr. Sotelo removed my uterus with a robotic laparoscopic hysterectomy, due to a stage III cancerous tumor. His skills, professionalism and ethics, let me give him a five stars review and recommend him to anyone I know.
in Doral, FL |
Dr. Sotelo removed a cancerous tumor located on my prostate, with his innovative laparoscopic surgery technique, fourteen years ago. Since that day, I'm thankful to him for saving my life. He has follow my recovery and he has always being attentive to my health.
in Canyon Country, CA |
He is the best doctor that you can find in his speciality,It has a lot knowledge of my condition and he explain to me very well what is my best options for me.
in Davenport, Fl |
I was diagnosis with Prostate Cancer , I decided to seek for the best Dr to treat me I went to internet and I found Dr. Rene Sotelo and after a review of his career as an Urologist decided to make and appointment with him. Since my first conversation with him my worries fade away, he gave me his advice about my case, gave me recommendations and today after almost 6 months of the surgery which was excellent I am fully cure. I do recommend Dr. Sotelo as number one in his area of expertise.
in Canyon Country, California |
He is very good and very knowledgeable, he knows what he does,he is the best for my case.
Have you seen Dr. Rene Sotelo, MD?
Are you Dr. Sotelo?

Compare Dr. Sotelo

Dr. Sotelo's Care Philosophy

Mi filosofia es el prestarle la mejor atencion posible, en forma oportuna y con el mas alto nivel académico,  en donde los principios éticos son mi mayor compromiso con Usted, no es solo una cuestion de lenguaje, es entender en profundidad nuestras culturas , y como  atenderlo. Permitame ser parte de su historia.

My filosofy is to offer the best posible care,  in and effective way with the most high level of ethics and academic medicine,  is not only language , is that I understand our diferente culture and how to take care of you,  let me be part of your history.

Dr. Sotelo says...

• Professor and Chairman, Department of Urology, Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Caracas, Venezuela (2004-2015)
  • President, Latin American Society of Minimally Invasive Surgery in Urology (2006-2008)
  • Director, Office of Laparoscopy & Robotic Surgery, Confederación Americana de Urología (CAU) (2007-2014)
  • Editor, Journal Urología Panamericana, the official Journal of Confederación Americana de Urología (CAU) (1999-2004)
  • Serves on the editorial boards of European Urology, British Journal of Urology International and Journal of Robotic Surgery
  • Invited visiting professor to 35 universities in 19 countries internationally, where he has demonstrated advanced robotic & laparoscopic techniques at live surgical symposia
  • Trained over 67 post-graduate fellows from 14 countries in robotic & laparoscopic urology
  • Listed amongst "America's Top Urologists" by Consumers Research Council
  • Research:Published more than 60 peer reviewed scientific papers and 28 chapters in major urology books, Published 3 text-books; serves on the editorial board of 3 urologic journal
  • Awards: Professor Sotelo's urologic achievements are considerable. He has won over 23 awards from scientific and government organizations worldwide, including American Urological Association, European Association of Urology, Societé Internationale Urologie, European Robotic Urological Society, Confederación Americana de Urología and others.

Dr. Sotelo says...

Describing some of the this surgical tecniques.

Selected peer-reviewed articles:

• Robotic repair of vesicovaginal fistulae, transperitoneal- transvaginal approach.? A case series. Int Braz J Urol. 2014;40: 810
  • NOTES hybrid transvaginal radical nephrectomy for tumor: Step-wise progression toward a first successful clinical case.? Eur Urol 2010;57: 138
  • Single-port transvesical enucleation of the prostate: a clinical report of 34 cases. BJU Int. 2010;105:1296
  • Robotic simple prostatectomy, J Urol 2008;179: 513
  • Laparoscopic repair of rectourethral fistulae after prostatic surgery. ?Urology 2007;70: 515
  • Laparoscopic repair of vesicovaginal fistula. J Urol 2005;173: 1615

Dr. Sotelo says...

Dr. Sotelo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Urology
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades

No malpractice history found for California.

• Adrenal Cortex Neoplasms
  • Benign Prostate Diseases
  • Bladder Cancer
  • Bladder Tumor
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Hydronephrosis
  • Vesicocolic Fistula
  • Vesicovaginal Fistula

Universidad Central De Venezuela

Graduated in 1987

Hospital Dr Domingo Luciani.

Completed in 1989

Completed in 1994

Universidad Central De Venezuela

Graduated in 1982

• Portuguese

Dr. Sotelo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sotelo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Urology

• Kidney and Ureter Removal
  • Pelvic Fistula Repair
  • Penile Surgery
  • Prostate Biopsy
  • Prostate Cancer Screening Exam (DRE)
  • Prostate Removal