Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve
Telehealth services available

Northshore University Health System

2650 Ridge Ave Evanston, IL 60201

Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Evanston, IL and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from Rush Medical College Of Rush University medical school in 1990. She is affiliated with Evanston Hospital. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Goodfriend-Leve to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Check Dr. Goodfriend-Leve's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve treats this condition more than 88% of her peers

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Anorexia
  • Autism
  • Binge Eating Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Bulimia
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Conduct Disorder
  • Conversion Disorder
  • Delusional Disorder
  • Developmental and Learning Disorders
  • Dissociative Disorder
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Nondependent Antidepressant Abuse
  • Nondependent Cocaine Abuse
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Speech, Language and Learning Disorders
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve accepts

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthLink
HealthLink PPO
Preferred PPO
Kaiser Permanente
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Medicaid

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Goodfriend-Leve

1.8

19.047619047619047%

Dr. Goodfriend-Leve?
  • Wait times (23)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (10)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (8)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (29)
  • Appointment was rushed (27)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (27)
I saw Dr. Goodfriend over the course of 7 years and built a strong and trusting relationship with her. Other reviews mention short sessions, which is true, but for me, if I ever needed a longer session she would happily talk however long I needed. Dr. Goodfriend has always been very easy to work with while trying to find the correct medications and dosages. I trust her medical diagnosis, and I never felt like the short appointments limited her ability to manage my medications. I would say Dr. Goodfreind would be a perfect match for any patient who values their time not being wasted and wants a psychiatrist who they can see long term over many stages in life. She was the perfect psychiatrist for me throughout all of high school and college.
Jul 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
15 minutes late. Spent literally 3 minutes with me after telling her I had a pretty big set back. Added another med. Hospital location is a joke. Barely says anything or asks questions.
Booooo – May 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
Blamed and interrogated me for wanting a transfer of care, then said "you look like ur about to cry" in the most demeaning tone. Given the fact that many of the people I know in Evanston see her (she sees tons of patients) and have all been also misdiagnosed or made to feel horrible about themselves ( or in the case of one of my friends, wound up dead?), it is pretty clear that she has very little respect for her patients.
Apr 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
We had wonderful experience with Dr. Goodfriend-Leve. She is very warm and caring. I found her to be extremely competent in dealing with my 15-year-old daughter!
M. Guerrero – Mar 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
(If I could give 0 stars I would) Pretty much echoing all the other reviews. First experience with a psychiatrist so I didn’t know what was normal. How Dr. Goodfriend treats her patients is not normal or is it ethical. All my appts would last no longer than 3 minutes and somehow she had me on the strongest dose of three medications. I felt worse and worse due to all the unnecessary drugs in my system but instead of acknowledging that she kept making up different disorders to try and Medicate as well. After experiencing switching to a new psychiatrist that treats his patients with respect and compassion and does not try to prescribe every medication I realized how truly awful this lady is.
Nov 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
We have seen her three times it takes longer to walk to her office from the parking lot then the time she takes to speak with us. I’m looking for a new psychiatrist as I am writing this.
Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
She is the wrong field with her dry and uncompassionate attitude. I would never ever see her again or recommend her to anyone
Sep 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
I've been seeing her for a while now, the only reason I've stayed with her is due to sheer laziness and having a busy schedule. I'm here to echo everything else that's been said about her. She's cold, defensive, and has been pushing larger doses on me for no reason. Our meetings take literally 3 minutes and somehow in that time she comes to the conclusion that I need a higher dose. I'm baffled as to why she became a doctor in the first place because this chick literally has no empathy or people skills. If you're thinking about booking her - don't do it homie.
Anxiety/Depression Patient – Jul 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
Dr. Goodfriend-Leve was astonishlingly bad at listening to, working with, and following up with me to ensure the proper medications were prescribed for my mental health concerns. I felt she lacked any real interest in understanding me and working through pharmacologically my concerns, and my takeaway was she was neither sufficiently genuine, empathetic, or knowledgeable to be a provider for me.
ADR – Jul 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
I’ve been seeing her for a couple years and I haven’t had a single good experience with her. Every time I see her I feel worse. I don’t feel like she really listens and she barely looks at me. Each appointment lasts for no longer than 5 minutes which is ridiculous. Definitely not worth the money or effort. Even when I was doing poorly she just told me to come back in a month and didn’t change a thing. Also, they make it difficult to get refills on your medication when you need it. The only reason I stayed with her for so long was because I didn’t want to go through the trouble of finding a new psychiatrist. When I finally tried to see another doctor in the practice I was turned down and forced to continue seeing the same bad doctor. I’m going to see a new doctor at a new practice now. Hopefully I have a better experience. Overall Dr. Goodfriend-Leve is a terrible psychiatrist and I wouldn’t recommend her to my worst enemy.
Jun 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
She is cold, uncaring, and incompetent. She prescribed the same medication to my son twice even though my son had a horrible reaction the first time he took it. She tried to do this again, but I caught the error the second time because I took to checking up on every prescription after the first disaster. I don't think she ever looks at her notes and has no bedside manner, which is pretty bad if you deal with kids who are already stressed and depressed. We showed up at a confirmed appointment and after waiting for a half hour were told she wasn't even in the building. Stay far, far away.
Jun 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
I normally don't leave reviews, but felt I needed to after seeing all of these negative ones. Dr Goodfriend-Leve isn't effusive or dynamic, but she IS effective and efficient. I've found her to be remarkably caring and interested, and never felt pressured for time. I think she's conservative with medications, but I think that's what you want with children and adolescents.
North Shore Mom – Jan 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
The doctor is cold but competent. Her nurse Ann Marie actively tries to block patients from receiving the medications the doctor prescribes. Avoid.
Dec 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
• • • • • • • • I’ve been on antidepressants for around 10 years and would like to go off them at some point. I told her & she said “if you want to go off medications then find a new doctor.” Tried to switch me to probably the most expensive antidepressant, $1200 for 90 day supply. When I told her I couldn’t afford it, switched me to the second highest priced medication and increased the dosages of my other meds. Pill pusher, made me feel like I was wasting her time. Shouldn’t be in this field.
Freyja in Evanston, IL – Oct 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
uncompassionate, selfish, and distant psychiatrist. Doesn't care about the patients at all, she only cares about the money she receives. Constantly denying refills because of an overdue check up, even though I'm 2000 miles away at college. Had to fight for a month just to get my prescription refilled. The nurse is also rude and generally distant. Horrible communication. Don't see her it will not turn out well.
Logan in Richmond, OR – Oct 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
If giving 0 stars was an option I would select 0 stars over the 1 star I am giving Dr. Goodfriend Leve and her nurse Ann Marie. I recommend selecting another physician unless you want to fight for your controlled substance refills even after you have taken your child for an office visit. All you will get are excuses and a lack of bed-side manner. Moreover, you even have to fight for her to call you back if you page. Do your job Dr. and fill your patient refills timely, not a high expectation.
  • Long wait times
Glenview, IL – Apr 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
I hold NorthShore University HealthSystem in high regard overall, yet I am very disappointed with this individual. Rena is not professional and has no bedside manner. My child is currently being treated by her yet their conditions are worsening. The unfortunate thing is that she has repeatedly dismissed my concerns. I truly wish there was better recourse than having to post comments. Do not see this doctor even as a last resort.
Feb 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
I? took my 15 year old daughter Dr Goodfriend-Leve for her depression and anxiety. The doctor was cold, quick, and only offered to increase her anti-depressant medication despite multiple other cues my daughter offered about nightmares, etc. She made my daughter defensive and hopeless. My daughter was hospitalized for her depression; this doctor was on call that weekend for the unit. When she saw my daughter she said dryly “What are YOU doing here?” Needless to say, we switched psychiatrist.
Skokie, IL – Nov 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
Came to her at a very vulnerable place in my life, have just been dealing with the lost of a parent and found myself depressed. The second med we tried didn't work out, she just told me to stop taking it.. Which led me to have suicidal thoughts and spiral out of control. It is not safe to go cold turkey off of a depression med. When I told her what happened she didn't seem to care. Her nurse was also very rude and condescending.
Stephanie in Chicago, IL – Oct 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?
My daughter saw this doctor for depression. Despite a history of seizures in the past (she was seizure free for four years), she was given a medication with seizures as a prominent side effect. This medication was prescribed in an amount far beyond FDA recommended dosing. My daughter had multiple seizures, called the doctor, did not get an answer for over 48 hours. She had a seizure in the street, almost got hit by a bus and was hospitalized. Don't go to this doctor if you have a choice.
Evanston, IL – Apr 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rena Goodfriend-Leve, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Goodfriend-Leve?

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry