Dr. Reena Patel, MD

Dr. Reena Patel, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Dr. Reena Patel, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Wichita, KS. She is 44 years old and has been practicing for 19 years. Read her story

Wichita Vision Institute

2552 N Maize Ct Ste 200

Wichita, KS 67205

• AARP
  • Advantra
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Patel

See how frequently Dr. Patel performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Blepharitis
Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Eyelid Disorders

Dr. Patel's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Patel's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Patel "Meet Dr. Reena Patel Dr. Reena N. Patel, M.D., was born in New York City but grew up in Norfolk, Nebraska. She completed her bachelor’s degree in biology from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, in three years. She earned her medical degree with high distinction from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. She was elected to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society during her medical school career, and received honors for her M.D. research thesis. She received numerous accolades and scholarships for her academic excellence throughout college and medical school. Dr. Patel completed a transitional rotating internship at Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in Scottsdale, Arizona. She completed her ophthalmology residency at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, where she was acting chief resident for five months. Dr. Patel completed a cornea fellowship, specializing in in external disease and refractive surgery, at Dean A. McGee Eye Institute at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City. During her training, she was fortunate to work directly with the inventor of LASIK, Dr. Gholam Peyman. Dr. Reena Patel’s Personal Experience with LASIK “I had LASIK in 1999 by one of my mentors. At the time, I had terrible allergies and was miserable in my contacts. I couldn’t keep my contacts in for long periods of time and my vision was filmy. I didn’t like my glasses and felt like the glasses blocked my peripheral vision. Going without contacts or glasses was not an option, as I couldn’t see the big “E” on the eye chart without them. November 18, 1999, I underwent LASIK surgery. I did not realize the lasting impact the surgery would have on my life. Immediately after my LASIK, I could see better than I could without my contacts or glasses. I left the surgery center in wonderment. I was truly amazed that a 10-minute painless procedure could change my vision almost instantly and relieve me from my glasses and contacts that I had been wearing since fifth grade. LASIK changed my life. I was so impressed with the results of my LASIK surgery that I changed my career path to specialize in LASIK. I am still impressed by my results 15 years later and the technology has only gotten better.” Professional Experience Dr. Reena Patel became board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 2004, the same year that she founded Wichita Vision Institute. She has been selected for inclusion on the list of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists” by the Consumers’ Research Council of America since 2006. She also was chosen as a Top Ophthalmologist in Wichita by the International Association of Healthcare Professionals. Dr. Patel has conducted multiple clinical and basic science research projects and presented findings at various national and international meetings. Her research has also been included in numerous publications. She is currently participating in clinical treatment trials in Wichita. She was also selected to join the editorial review board of the Journal of Refractive Surgery. Dr. Reena Patel is actively involved in her community. She donates her time to multiple charities and organizations. She has worked closely with local and national volunteer organizations such as Dress for Success, Lions Club, EyeCare America, Glaucoma EyeCare Project, Senior EyeCare Project, Public Health Service, Habitat for Humanity and Project Access. Dr. Patel has one son and enjoys volunteering at his school, being a soccer mom and watching college football and basketball with him. Dr. Patel and her staff support numerous local and national organizations conducting research and providing betterment to Wichita. Wichita Vision Institute supports the Eye Tumor Research Foundation, breast cancer research, American Diabetes Association, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Sedgwick County Zoo, Tallgrass Film Festival, Wichita Art Museum and multiple other causes. Dr. Patel recently accepted a position as a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology at the KU School of Medicine."

This content was provided by Dr. Patel "I believe in excellent patient care."

• Ophthalmology

• Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen

• Laser Cataract Surgery
  • Laser Surgery
  • LenSx Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery
  • LipiFlow® Procedure
  • Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
  • Pterygium Surgery
  • Refractive Surgery
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • YAG Laser Capsulotomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

• Northwestern Univ
  • Tulane Med Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2002
  • University Of Oklahoma College Of Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2003

Dr. Patel has no media or publications listed.

• Gujarati

Dr. Patel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Patel to family and friends
Dr. Patel's Performance
Wichita, KS |
I had previously been to 3 different ophthalmologists trying to find answers for my dry eyes. She is the only doctor who has found the root cause of my problems and took as much time as needed to explain to me what was going on. I would highly recommend her! She truly cares about her patients.
Wichita, KS |
I WOULD NOT recommend this DR. to anybody. I went in for a free consultation and walked out buying medication that they sell there in the office for DRY EYES. How convenient. I later find out that this is her specialty. I went to 3 other consults after that one and nobody else said that I had dry eyes. I then called the office to try to get a refund for the medications that I had purchased because I had NOT opened or used anything, and well they could NOT refund my money back. WOW!!!!!
Thank you for the feedback. To clarify, Dr. Patel is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in corneal disease & LASIK. Patients have requested we stock certain medications. You are the first patient in this practice's history who asked to return medication. We do not re-stock medication for patient safety reasons. We invite you to call our office at 316-773-6400 regarding your concerns. As you have had four consultations with various providers, we wish you the best in finding a doctor.
in Wichita Ks |
She is the best I've ever been to & I've been going since I was a child because of eye issues since very young.
in Wichita |
Dr. Patel is wonderful! Genuinely cares and remembers my issues from one visit to the next. Always takes time and answers my questions, no matter how busy she is.
Have you seen Dr. Reena Patel, MD?

Visit Dr. Patel

Dr. Patel accepts 20 insurance carriers
  • AARP
  • Advantra
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Federal Employee Program
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
    Advantra
    Coventry Health America PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • PHCS