Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD

Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 49

Neurosurgery

Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New York, NY and has over 22 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Georgetown University School Of Medicine in 2000. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center and Upmc Hamot. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

CUIMC/Neurological Institute of New York

• Practices at Top Hospital Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Sekula's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sekula

Dr. Sekula

In 2018 I was diagnosed with glossopharyngeal neuralgia which was treated with prescription medication until they became ineffective after three years. Extensive research led me to Dr. Raymond Sekula and within ten days an appointment for micro vascular decompression surgery. The surgery was a complete success. Dr. Sekula is an amazing surgeon, very compassionate, and I feel went out of his way to accommodate my need for surgery. I feel he probably saved my life. He and his office staff were outstanding. Ron Date of surgery-March 9, 2021
Ron Page – Oct 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
I would give him zero stars if possible. He has ruined my receiving timely care in the Pittsburgh region for a tumor that's causing life-threatening symptoms and tainted the UPMC system with a treatment recommendation that wasn't based on facts but instead his being unprepared for our initial consultation and then trying to cover it up. He was hours late, I had to repeatedly call to check on his status, his staff forgot my appointment, he showed up in the telehealth visit looking unkempt, tired, agitated and clearly didn't even know my case when he failed to initially realize or later fully recognize that I've been having symptoms related to mass effect and trigeminal nerve involvement. He contradicted his own statements about when he recommend microsurgery and continued to push gamma knife. Since then, it's been a battle to try to even get emergency room care for new and worsening symptoms b/c his statements have made people think that my case isn't as serious as it actually is.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Aug 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr Sekula did micro vascular decompression surgery on me and I have been pain free for 3 years. His communication and patient care was outstanding! Co
Chris – Mar 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. Raymond Sekula performed a micro-vascular decompression (MVD) on my 7th cranial nerve to alleviate a hemifacial spasm. The surgery was a complete success! The experience was the best medical experience I have ever had. His staff is top notch-responsive, caring, professional, and highly experienced with hemifacial spasm patients. Dr. Sekula himself is a quiet and unassuming man, with a quick smile and dedicated to excellence in the treatment of hemifacial spasm using a minimally invasive technique that allowed me to go home the day following surgery. I would (and have!) highly recommend him for hemifacial spasm patients. I traveled from Florida to Pennsylvania solely because I would have no one but Dr. Sekula be my surgeon. I trusted him 100% and he answered all of my questions patiently and fully. His office is efficient, kind, and well-organized. He's simply an awesome, caring, expert surgeon! Five stars is not high enough for this man !
Sylvia - Orlando, Florida – Aug 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr.Sekula and his team were remarkable. Very knowledgeable in my hfs condition. I trusted him and his team. Everyone was kind and helpful!
Jaclyn – Jul 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
What can I possibly say that can be worthy of what an Amazing Human, and Surgeon this man is. I did my research, and traveled to him. He is truly the best of the best, and I wouldn’t have gone to anyone else. MVD surgery in anyone else’s hands could have consequences that I would never want to face. He is the Master. I have been spasm free since the day he laid hands on me 7/19/16. God Blesses and guides his hands.
Diane Tark – Jul 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
I waited for a month for my appointment. A few days before the appointment, I was informed that he doesn't treat my condition. Having never seen him..i'm not sure how he made that determination. I am once again very disappointed in Presby's doctors.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
SA in Uniontown, PA – Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. Sekula saved my life in a way. Two years I could not eat,drink, or even talk without pain. He performed brain surgery on me and it worked and now I am myself again. I can have dinner with my wife and not be embarrassed by having her cut up my food in tiny pieces for me to eat. I can have a drink with the neighbors and not have to suffer through serious facial pain. I can now shave in the morning without putting an ice bag on my face to numb it to be able torun a razor over it. What a great person Dr. Sekula is a great doctor very compassionate and understanding of my problems. You will not find another doctor In Pittsburgh Pa or anywhere who is so dedicated to his profession. The good doctor follow up procedures are outstanding. He called me personally to ask how I was doing he really cares for his patients. I was so lucky to have him as my doctor.
Raymond Novak – Sep 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. Sekula is AMAZING! I had surgery 13 years ago for a Chiari Malformation. I have had so much relief even 13 yrs. later. He is very kind, caring, and an extremely talented Dr. I highly recommend him!
Cindy Marchioni – Jun 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. Sekula is an incredible surgeon. He is very thorough and thoughtful. He was very blunt about what could go wrong but his stats were on my side with less than 1% of his 1,000 patients having hearing loss or stroke. I came out of surgery on Friday spasm free and he stayed all weekend to make sure I was healing and comfortable. Two big thumbs up. Highly recommend him. It was a life altering event for me. Thank you Dr. Sekula!!
cliffcuts – Jun 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
After 10+ years of suffering with a facial nerve disorder (hemi-facial spasms), I met with Dr, Sekula at his UPMC Presbyterian Hospital office. He confirmed my diagnosis and performed MVD (microvascular decompression surgery the next day. He was successful in giving me back my normal face. He is thorough, compassionate and caring with his patients!
Barbara in Olive Branch – Jun 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
After nearly 8 years of dealing with hemifacial spasms due to an arterial compression I finally flew up to see Dr. Sekula for a consultation. He confirmed the diagnosis with an MRI, lateral spread test, and by observing my clinical symptoms. What a relief it was to watch Dr. Sekula look at my MRI and say “there it is”. After years of facial twitching, spasms, sensations I finally had an answer. And it could be treated via MVD surgery. Dr. Sekula performed MVD surgery on me in October of 2017 with excellent results. I am writing this review 18 months post surgery and still can’t believe what a fantastic outcome I’ve experienced. The entire staff at UPMC is very professional and treated me with kindness and compassion. Dr. Sekula’s resume speaks for itself. MVD is incredibly specialized surgery. I can’t imagine what my life would be like had I not made this important decision. No regrets.
May 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
My neurologist referred me to Dr Sekula, his office called me to set up an apt and I asked to make sure he looked at my MRI and they he could help me and not waste my time having me drive 5 hours for nothing. WELL I waited 2.5 hours for him to finally come to my room, He walked in said I cant help you and offered me very little advise and walked out. He wasted my time and money traveling to visit him. I would not refer him to anyone with Insane Facial pain and TN confirmed on an MRI
Apr 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. Sekula is amazing. He saved my wife’s life and cannot be more thankful that she was treated by a man with such a high degree of knowledge and skill. My life may have been way different if he had not been in our lives.
Apr 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Super talented surgeon. Dr. Sekula has always been great to me. He preformed a life saving brain surgery for me , and a few months later a tricky spinal cord shunt. I will put my life only in his talented hands. I owe him my life , truly. Jennifer
Jennifer Weibel in Freeport, PA – Jan 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Wonderful person and incredible surgeon - he saved my life!
Sep 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
A few weeks ago I got a surprise call from Dr. Sekula. 2 1/2 yrs ago he performed micro vascular decompression surgery on me for TGN which I suffered with for 15 yrs. He wanted to know how I was doing and if any pain had come back. I was happy to report to him that I still have no pain and haven’t had to deal with the side effects of tegretol! Dr. Sekula saved my sanity. I owe him my pain free life. He & his staff were wonderful! I give him the highest rating possible!
Michael Beatty in Canonsburg, PA – Jul 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Dr. S really cares about his patients, has excellent bedside manner, and is a truly talented surgeon. Every staff member at the hospital had something great to say about him. He has his own way of approaching surgery making the entire experience much different than others I came across in my research. Results and healing are better than I expected. Throughout my appts he was sure to give me thorough information and REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS! Amazing, talented surgeon!!
  • Long wait times
PA – May 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
Very competent and thorough. He called us on a Sunday checking on our daughter.
Trudy Crawford in Buckhannon WV – May 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?
This guy is beyond brilliant. After 3 botched surgeries I found Dr. Sekula and he saved my life. Thank God for him.
Mike H. – Jan 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Raymond Sekula, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sekula?