Dr. Ray M. Balyeat, MD

Dr. Ray M. Balyeat, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Eye Institute 2000 S Wheeling Ave Ste 400, Tulsa, OK 74104 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I understand that most patients in the waiting room of a retinologist have tremendous fear of "going blind". Providing patients with the correct diagnosis and prognosis of their retinal condition is the keystone to my medical practice. Every attempt is made by me with assistance from my staff to provide care with respect and kindness to our patients. I believe that most of our patients leave their appointments with a greater understanding of their condition and a more positive attitude.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Balyeat's Experience

99Experience
Match

See how Dr. Balyeat's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Balyeat

Dr. Balyeat accepts 21 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Balyeat has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Balyeat's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Balyeat to family and friends
4.1
based on 13 total surveys
Experience with Dr. Balyeat
Dr. Balyeat's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (12)
Dr. Ray M. Balyeat, MD says

My office staff and I work long hours in a complex and ever changing healthcare environment.  Providing medical services is both professionally rewarding and very challenging.  We are interested in constructive advice from our patients so that we may refine the manner in which we provide services to them.  Please contact us directly if you believe that you have a vital suggestion for change.

Have you seen Dr. Ray M. Balyeat, MD?

Compare Dr. Balyeat

• Ophthalmology
  • Ophthalmic Vitreous Surgery
  • Retinal Diseases

Why It Matters: Dr. Balyeat's Board Certifications

• Ophthalmology

Dr. Balyeat says..

I have built a referral medical & surgical practice with over 20 years of experience managing problems in ophthalmology of considerable complexity.  I was trained in an outstanding residency and very busy fellowship during which time I was intensely exposed to a wide variety of ocular diseases and conditions.  I was committed to continuing medical education (CME) long before the government mandated it and I easily exceed the annual CME requirements of my state board of medical examiners.  I am a member of the American Medical Association (AMA), my state and local medical societies, a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and a member of the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS).

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Cataract
  • Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Chronic Endophthalmitis
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinoblastoma
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Dr. Balyeat says..

I take great care discussing with patients who have surgical problems the risks and benefits of surgical management.  Simply having a surgical problem does not necessarily mean that surgery should be performed particularly if the patient does not perceive a loss in function.  Too many surgeons measure their worth by the number of procedures they perform each year without consideration the needs of the patient.  Whenever possible I involve the patient in the decision making process regarding the appropriateness of surgery and post surgical care.  I have access to state of the art diagnostic equipment within a short walking distance of the exam rooms and I can repair simple retinal detachments in the office by pneumatic retinopexy (PR).  I perform surgery under both general and local anesthesia in the outpatient facility of Tulsa's premier hospital for ophthalmic surgery, St. John Medical Center.  The pre-admission testing, surgery and post-operative care are usually performed in the same unit at the hospital.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Conjunctivoplasty
  • Destruction of Lesion of Retina and Choroid
  • Eyelid Surgery
  • Foreign Body Removal from Eye
  • Removal of Intraocular Foreign Body
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Scleral Reinforcement Surgery
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Oklahoma.

University Of Oklahoma / Health Sciences Center

Piedmont Hospital

Completed in 1988

Duke University

Graduated in 1979

Dr. Balyeat has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Balyeat does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Balyeat and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Balyeat's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Ophthalmology
  • Board certified in Ophthalmology
  • Malpractice claims in Oklahoma not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Balyeat

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Balyeat's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
16 – 30 minutes

Experience with Dr. Balyeat

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Balyeat says...

My ophthalmology practice is dedicated to providing high quality diagnostic expertise and both medical and surgical management for diseases of the retina.  My medical practice therefore emphasizes identification and treatment of diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, retinal vascular disorders, inflammatory eye disease (uveitis) and retinal detachment.  I am committed to state of the art management for diseases of the vitreous, retina and macula in a community setting.  My educational background which includes fellowship training and a multi-decade commitment to professional development set my medical and surgical practice apart from general ophthalmology practices that claim to offer services for patients with retinal problems.

Dr. Balyeat's Care Philosophy

I understand that most patients in the waiting room of a retinologist have tremendous fear of "going blind".  Providing patients with the correct diagnosis and prognosis of their retinal condition is the keystone to my medical practice.  Every attempt is made by me with assistance from my staff to provide care with respect and kindness to our patients.  I believe that most of our patients leave their appointments with a greater understanding of their condition and a more positive attitude.