Dr. Randall Wong, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Dr. Randall Wong, MD
In this digital age where patients are becoming consumers, I believe it is very important for doctors to display 3 things; personal transparency, running a transparent medical office and to provide value. Professionally, I am board certified ophthalmologist and my practice is limited to diseases and surgery of the retina. Many of my patients have diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration or need surgery. Intraocular injections are given commonly for a variety of disorders, too. I have a combined family of 5 children, I play competitive tennis, hate to play golf, love Dunkin' Donuts coffee (black!) and feel Starbucks is simply no treat at all. Our kids love our labrador retrievers. As I have recently changed my practice locations, I hope that if you are a previous patient of mine we can reconnect here! All the best, Randy Randall Wong, M.D.

Dr. Wong's Care Philosophy

My goal is to educate you about your retinal eye disease. Often retinal diseases are difficult to understand in one visit. I have created a blog, www.RetinaEyeDoctor.com, to help you understand more of your disease. I also believe that communication online (e.g. email and blogs) can be a great way to enhance your knowledge and enhance our relationship.

Dr. Wong's Experience

See how Dr. Wong's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wong

Dr. Wong accepts 6 insurance carriers

Dr. Wong is now accepting new patients
Dressler Ophthalmology3930 Pender Dr Ste 10
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703) 273-2398Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Wong has admitting privileges.

Dr. Wong's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wong to family and friends
3.8
Dr. Wong Says:

One of the daily challenges for any doctor is to be timely. I respect your schedule and time. There are a host of factors that lead to "running behind." If it happens daily, then there clearly is a problem with the office. Emergencies, especially for a retinal specialist, are very common. With every patient I try to educate and the time required varies. I am proud of my "scores!"

Dr. Wong's Performance
Annandale, VA |
Dr. Wong is a wonderful retina doctor. I have undergone multiple surgical procedures, and my husband has undergone one. Dr. Wong is knowledgeable, attentive to detail, communicates well, and is responsive to questions. He has patients from all over the world and has a number of medical professionals among his patients.
in Erie, PA |
Today was the one year anniversary of the amazing vitrectomy Dr. Wong performed on my right eye to remove a horrendous floater that had plagued me for years. A year later I am happy to report that I remain floater free, and with wonderful vision! From the beginning, Dr. Wong made me feel welcome and comfortable about the procedure, which went smoothly, and with no complications whatsoever. I will always be grateful for his incredible work. Thank you again Dr. Wong!
Great communication. Great office experience. Terrific results from surgery.
Dr. Wong sees patients from all over the US and from other countries. Even the nurse who administered the preop questionnaire raved about Dr. Wong and said that he was scheduled to perform her own surgery. I had excellent care and was well informed at each stage of treatment. Wonderful results.
in Fairfax, VA |
I was referred to Dr. Wong by another doctor at Dressler Ophthalmology as she found a hole in the macula of my right eye. Dr. Wong was friendly, very correct and I immediately felt I could trust him with the surgery he said I needed to repair my eye. His bedside manner was excellent, my eye is repaired and I would recommend him to anyone needing surgery like I did.
in Fairfax, VA |
Outstanding bedside manner, presented all surgical options with pros and cons.
Saw Dr. Wong three times for a vascular occlusion. Dr. Wong'so bedside manner is poor. On my last visit as he put in the instrument to hold my eye open for my third injection he pieced my eyeball and my knee jerk reaction was to grab his arm. He yelled at me for 5 minutes, I mean really yelled about how I will never do that again. I understand why he did that both don't understand why he had to scream at me. I ran out in tears, never to return.
Have you seen Dr. Randall Wong, MD?
Are you Dr. Wong?

Compare Dr. Wong

Dr. Wong says...

In this digital age where patients are becoming consumers, I believe it is very important for doctors to display 3 things;  personal transparency, running a transparent medical office and to provide value.

Professionally, I am board certified ophthalmologist and my practice is limited to diseases and surgery of the retina.  Many of my patients have diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration or need surgery.  Intraocular injections are given commonly for a variety of disorders, too.

I have a combined family of 5 children, I play competitive tennis, hate to play golf, love Dunkin' Donuts coffee (black!) and feel Starbucks is simply no treat at all.  Our kids love our labrador retrievers.

All the best,

Randy

Randall Wong, M.D.

Dr. Wong's Care Philosophy

Dr. Wong says...

I've been in practice for over 23 years.

There are a few, but limited, tests that we may need to perform to help me diagnose your condition and/or to monitor your progress.  These tests include fluorescein angiography and an OCT (Optical coherence tomography).

I operate on patients with ERM (macular pucker, epi-retinal membranes), macular holes, retinal detachments, vitreous hemorrhage, diabetic retinopathy and floaters.  If surgery is required, I usually prefer to use either 25 gauge or 27 gauge vitrectomy systems.  These offer the latest and greatest in technology and require very little healing.

Intaocular injections (IVT) are commonplace for a modern retinal specialist.  Avastin, Lucentis and Eylea are popular anti-VEGF conditions and might be used for wet macular degeneration (wet ARMD), vascular occlusions or diabetic macular edema.

Ozurdex and Iluvien are unique intraocular sustained release systems which can be used for the treatment diabetic macular edema.

Dr. Wong says...

I have been practicing for over 20 years.  I really enjoy vitrectomy, 25 or 27 gauge, which is the basic operation performed by a retina specialist.

With these systems, sutures are usually NOT required at the end of surgery.  This speeds up surgical time, thus limiting anesthesia, but more importantly, reduces the time to heal from the surgery.

I have many videos on YouTube (search Randall Wong, M.D.) if you'd like to see the types of operations I perform.

All the best!

Randy

Randall V. Wong, M.D.

Dr. Wong says...

Dr. Wong's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology
  •  Malpractice claims found

Dr. Wong has 2 malpractice claims

More  What is medical malpractice
    • Settlement (4/22/2015)
    • Amount or Range: $1,600,000.00
    • Nature of Complaint: OUT OF STATE CLAIM: Location Not Reported. Reported by Florida Department of Health
    • State: Florida

• Ophthalmology

• Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Aphakia and Other Disorders of Lens
  • Cataract
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Thyroid Disease
  • Ulcer
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University

Graduated in 1988

Charles Retina Institute

Completed in 1993

Haverford College

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Wong does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wong and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology

• Photocoagulation
  • Removal of Intraocular Foreign Body
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Surgery
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery