Dr. Randall Dryer, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male

Austin Spine 6818 Austin Center Blvd Ste 200 Austin, TX 78731 Get Directions
Dr. Randall Dryer, MD
Dr. Randall Dryer, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Austin, TX. He is 65 years old and has been practicing for 40 years. Dr. Dryer is affiliated with Seton Medical Center Austin and Arise Austin Medical Center.

Dr. Dryer's Care Philosophy

Thorough diagnosis, conservative care with surgery utilizing the very latest techniques, as a last resort.

Dr. Dryer's Experience

See how Dr. Dryer's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dryer

Dr. Dryer accepts 2 insurance carriers

Dr. Dryer is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Dryer has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dryer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dryer to family and friends
    Dr. Dryer's Performance
    in Round Rock, Texas |
    Dr . Dryer is very thorough and always answered all of my many questions while I went through the diagnosis and resolution phases for a disc rupture at L4-5. I am 6 months post microdiscectomy and am back to living a normal lifestyle. Many thanks.
    Dr. Dyer did a disk rupture repair on my husband. Dr. Dyer was very informative and did an amazing job. Great bedside manor and answered all of our questions! Would definitely go back to see him and recommend him to all my family and friends.
    in Austin, TX |
    I had collapsed C6-C7 and torn C5-C6 discs. My first doctor recommended a two level fusion after conservative treatment failed. I was referral to Dr. Dryer and was able to get in almost immediately. He suggested the Mobi-C instead of fusion and I was able to get into surgery quickly and it went off without a hitch. I highly recommend Dr. Dryer. I set up a youtube channel with videos on my recovery as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZ0dJ_Dh1J_nwgEQWPt6UQ
    in Hewitt, TX |
    I had used Dr. Dryer in the past when I lived in Austin. Now that we are in Waco, I had to decide whether to use a local doctor or go back to Dr. Dryer. It wasn't a hard decision to come back to Dr. Dryer. His knowledge and experience are very evident and his spinal stimulation treatment plan was exactly what was needed. While I was previously restricted in my movement due to back pain, I am now able to function again. Thanks, Dr. Dryer!!!
    in Round Rock, TX |
    From my first visit, Dr. Dryer was very honest with me about the number of problems I have with my lower back and neck. He was so confident and made me feel so at ease because he told me that he could fix everything. Because I was having more pain with my back, we started with shots, which only worked in some areas and for a short period of time. I was the one who decided I wanted to go ahead and have the surgery. The surgery went perfect. The whole staff is wonderful. Vanessa is wonderful.
    in Burnet, TX |
    Dr. Dryer and Vanessa his PA provide the best spine care in Central Texas. I sought care due to injuring my cervical spine from me coughing so hard and I delayed seeing him for over 9 months. He listened to my complaints and quickly identified the source of my pain and extremity weakness with numbness. I had compression to my spinal cord at C5-6 and C6-7. Cervical fusion was performed. I am totally healed and pain free!!!
    in Huttoo, TX |
    I have been in pain for the last 10-12 years and have seen multiple doctors. I've tried physical therapy and the chiropractor. I just dealt with my pain, it had gotten worse preventing from working or doing anything some days. So I set out to find a spine specialist and I am so thankful for Dr. Dryer and his team. If I ever encounter a person with back problems I'm sending them straight to him. He knows what he is doing and I'm so happy to have had my surgery done by him. THANK YOU!
    in Giddings, Texas |
    Can not say enough good things about my husband's experience with Dr. Dryer and the staff at the Central Texas Spine Institute. He had a ruptured C5/C6 disc. Surgery was recommended and It was a home run! We will be making recommendations for the Central Texas Spine Institute and Dr. Dryer to all the people we know who need this type of treatment. Wonderful experience. We totally trust him and we just love his friendly and knowledgeable staff! The very best thing is that is no longer in pain.
    in Burnet, TX |
    I somehow injured my neck in 2011, saw a Neurologist, was told that it was nerve pain that I would need to live with, and given anti-seizure medication. After six years of a constant pain radiating from my neck down through my left shoulder, I couldn't take it anymore. A co-worker had a similar injury and suggested Dr. Dryer. The only thing that needs to be said is that Dr. Dryer is a miracle worker. I could not believe how my pain was gone right after surgery! He and his PA Vanessa rock!
    georgetown, tx |
    When I came to Dr. Dryer, the pain in my right hip and leg were excruciating! Surgery was not exactly what I wanted to do. However, Dr. Dryer had a plan of action that has helped me return to my normal health. The pain is gone; I feel so much better. Dr. Dryer has the years of experience to correct serious problems. Recommending him to anyone is a pleasure!!!! We got several opinions from several doctors. By far, Dr. Dryer was recommended to us by numerous people. So glad we found him!!
    in San Marcos, TX |
    This has been an extraordinary experience. I had considerable low back and leg pain, and my family doctor ordered an MRI. The results came in on a Friday evening, I called Dr. Dryer's office on Monday morning (he'd been recommended by a friend), he saw me that Monday afternoon and reviewed the MRI while I was there. We discussed the MRI and my pain/mobility problems, and my surgery was immediately scheduled. The entire process was professional and efficient, and Dr. Dryer and his staff are kind
    Georgetown |
    I have been dealing with back pain for over five years and have had two previous surgeries with limited reduction in pain. Dr. Dryer quickly diagnosed the cause of my pain, try minimally invasive solutions and finally performed surgery. Dr. Dryer was to the point, efficient, confident, and highly skilled. Many thanks go to Dr. Dryer, his staff, and associates for the care provided through diagnosis, to surgery, to recovery.
    in Austin, TX |
    If you need spine surgery, Dr. Dryer is the one to go to. He enrolled me in a clinical trial for artificial disc implants and the results were incredible. After two years of pain, the surgery corrected my degenerative discs and left me with full range of motion in my neck.
    in Austin, TX |
    After 15 years of severe back pain and resorting to sleeping on the floor a friend recommended I see Dr. Dryer. I had serious surgery on August 30, 2016 and went back to work three months later, I had my final evaluation exam on March 08, 2017. I now feel physically fit and mentally sharp. I am 50 years old and truly feel like I did when I was 30. I am a Police Officer and had been contemplating retiring but I can now continue to serve as long as I wish. Dr. Dryer and his staff were wonderful.
    Round Rock, TX |
    I've dealt with back pain since I was 16. I had two surgeries and a lot of physical therapy. I stayed active in spite of the pain. I worked out 5 times a week and ran a lot too. It hit the limit of the pain. I was told to see Dr. Dryer. I'm glad I did. The pain is finally gone after over 20 years. I appreciate Dr. Dryer didn't speak over my head and his staff is friendly, and professional.
    in Austin, TX |
    I was referred to Dr Dryer the first time by a friend many years ago, when I experienced really bad back pain a few months ago I knew DR. Dryer was who I wanted to see. It has been a couple months after surgery and I feel great, it does take a while sometime to start to feel better, nerves can take a while to regenerate. On the unexpected side, he is also a very nice and personable man, his concern is genuine. I highly recommend!
    in Austin, TX |
    Highly recommend Dr. Dryer. Suffering with sciatica / blown disc for two months doing pain management, injections & physical therapy decided to try surgery. Visited Dr. Dryer and two other Neuro/Ortho back specialists; Dr. Dryer's office was extremely efficient with practically zero wait time, the insurance approval specialist was especially helpful in expediting approval. Dr. Dryer was efficient in answering all of our questions - most importantly after waking from surgery, am pain free!
    in Round Rock, TX |
    I had two herniated discs in my lumbar spine. Dr. Dryer worked with me for two years trying conservative treatments, physical therapy, strengthening, stretching, epidural injections, and more but ultimately all were unsuccessful as my discs were completely desiccated. Dr. Dryer did a lumbar fusion as that was the best surgery for my pain and problem. Surgery was successful and now I am recovering, looking forward to being able to live normal life again.
    Austin, TX |
    he knows what he's doing. people want to try to do everything but have back surgery and that's a mistake. you are only prolonging the inevitable. i was in pain for over 8 years and tried everything except acupuncture. now five months post surgery i am 75% recovered and have my life back. he gave me my life back.
    in Bastrop, TX |
    Dr. Dryer was very forthcoming and direct with his diagnosis of my back problem. It was acutely painful at that time, so surgery was scheduled quickly. I can truthfully say that the acute pain I was experiencing was almost totally absent as I walked out of the hospital. Dr. Dryer is no-nonsense and wants the best for his patients, as well as their speedy recovery. I would recommend him immediately, and am thankful that I had the good fortune to have him as my doctor/surgeon. He's the BEST!!
    in Llano, TX |
    Dr. Dryer is a man of few words. He is very straight forward and will tell you if he can fix you or not. Both my wife and I have had spinal fusions with excellent results. I have and will continue to recommend him to anyone with spine related problems.
    in Austin, TX |
    I highly recommend Dr. Dryer. He is the best combination of excellent patient communication and gifted surgeon. I was very afraid about my surgery. He personally, as well as his staff, answered all of my questions and explained everything in detail, and very much put me at ease. Post-surgery I can say that I went from anxious and afraid to confident and grateful.
    in Austin, TX |
    He fixed the problem. He's great with his patients and only wants the best, less invasive fix. I would recommend him with utmost confidence.
    in Gonzales, TX |
    Dr. Dryer was arrogant, cursed in front of my husband and I because he was frustrated with his computer. He made "faces" and scoffed as he read through my paperwork and said, " All this was a waste of time and the only thing that could be done was fusion". He was very short and abrupt and I couldn't ask any questions. What was supposed to be an hour visit was 20 min at best. The checkout person was very pushy wanting me to schedule another appointment. I couldn't get out of there fast enough
    in Georgetown, tx |
    I would not even take my DOG to Doctor Dryer. He had my husband take a Mylagram test which showed severe back problems Dr. Dryer just said I'm sending you to pain management and my Nurse will go over the results of the Mylagram with you which contained a full page of problems with his back. To make a long story short my husband ended up seeing a Nurosurgeon in Austin and had to have MAJOR back surgery. This Doctor is the most incompetent Doctor we have ever met.
    in Pflugerville, TX |
    On 08/16/06 due to the finding of a pinched nerve, I had a spinal fusion surgery performed by Dr. Dryer. I had numbness in my right arm along with continual tingling in my hand. Dr. Dryer was super supportive. He and his assistant spent time with me explaining in detail the problem along with the correction needed. I never felt rushed during my appt. and he was very kind and professional. The surgery was a success. Dr. Dryer is now maintaining quality care now during my post op time.
    in Austin, TX |
    I was in pain 24 hours a day, was not able to walk without dragging my leg. Even on pain pills their was no relief. Dr Dryer had me set for surgery and back walking in two weeks, if you're wondering if it would work for your condition, don't sit around with all that pain. I was at complete easy from the office to the surgery room. I'm currently at home resting having a good nights sleep pain free.
    in Austin, Texas |
    Dr. Dryer is very thorough and explained all options available to me with a C5/C6 disc herniation. He recommended a Mobi-C implant. He is not only an expert in his field and very professional, he was sensitive to my symptoms and my activities of daily life. He understood that I have 3 very active little boys and that I needed to be able to keep up with them. He took time to review my entire MRI with me. No doubt that I went to the right surgeon for me and that I received the best care!
    in Austin, TX |
    I had neck fusion back in the late 1990s (C5-C7). Last year I started suffering with neck pain and stabbing pain down my right arm. I eventually went to see Dr Dryer who diagnosed a break in the fusion as well as arthritis in the next vertebrae. I was scheduled for afternoon surgery at Arise hospital and walked out that evening and slept at home.
    in Pflugerville, TX |
    Dr. Dryer is a miracle worker. He performed a C3-4 Facet Fusion on me and that very night I was able to sleep on my stomach and turn my head to the right for the first time in almost a year. This is the 3rd surgery he has done on various areas of my neck and every one of them has been extremely successful. I would recommend Dr. Dryer without hesitation for any spinal procedure.
    in Blanco, TX |
    I would highly recommend Dr. Dryer. From the office staff to the medical staff including Dr. Dryer my experience from start to finish (spinal surgery) was extremely efficient, informative,and comforting. I was initially apprehensive about spinal surgery. The surgery center operations inspired confidence and I felt at ease with the process. Surgery immediately provided relief and within days after surgery I was well on my way to full recovery.
    in Del Valle, Texas |
    I would definitely recommend Dr. Dryer to anyone suffering with neck or back pain.
    in Austin, TX |
    I want to tell you how awesome Dr. Dryer is! He with the help of our Lord he healed me. I had been suffering since 2013 because I was seeing doctors that did nota care I was just a number to them but this year 2016 I Round Dr. Dryer and right away he asked me if I was ready to get fixed and I said yes so on February 18th he did a Lumbar Discetomy and I am 100% better! Thank You Dr. Dryer for caring about me! Ms Rodriguez
    in Georgetown, TX |
    Before seeing him I had determined that surgery was needed. He agreed and enthusiastically described the procedure and expected results. The results are phenomenal, recovery, after the first week was easy. For a 25 year runner walking 4-5 miles a day was delightful. I was back to most activities after a week, just lifting & twisting limits and full duty by 6 weeks. He is highly skilled, very effective, gets great results and I like him for his leading edge introduction of technology, enthusiasm
    in Austin, TX |
    I had a herniated disc in my neck pressing on a nerve. Dr. Dryer performed artificial disc replacement surgery (instead of fusion). Disc replacement has minimal recovery time, no neck brace, no rehabilitation? and better mobility/flexibility. In for surgery at 1:00 and home by 6:00. The pain was gone immediately, and the numbness within a few weeks. I had full range of motion within 4 wks after surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Dryer and artificial disc replacement surgery.
    in Brenham, TX |
    I postponed back surgery for several years with the help of chiropractic and exercise. However, there came a point when back surgery was needed. Dr. Dryer gave me the confidence and reassurance I needed! He was caring, thorough, and very diligent in his approach. He did not leave me second guessing. My back feels great and I feel wonderful! I am back to exercising almost everyday! The recovery was relatively smooth. Dr. Dryer and his nurses were always available to answer questions. So pleased!
    in Austin, TX |
    Very thorough on the evaluation and explained everything in detail. He assured me of just what he could accomplish, and he did just that. I had 3 lumbar vertebrae involved in a fusion procedure. The pain in my leg was gone as soon as I woke from surgery, after 9 months of trying other treatments. He was very thorough with the after surgery follow through and took a definite interest in my well being. My only regret is not having the surgery sooner. Sure, it was major surgery but worth it.
    Have you seen Dr. Randall Dryer, MD?
    Are you Dr. Dryer?

Dr. Dryer's Care Philosophy

Dr. Dryer's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

• Patient's Choice Award by Vitals.com, 2011
      • Top 100 Spine Surgeons by Beckers Orthopedic & Spine Review, 2011

Dr. Dryer has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dryer's Board Certifications

• Lumbar Herniated Disc
    • Lumbar Radiculopathy
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture
    • Lumbar Sprain
    • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
    • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
    • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

University Iowa

Completed in 1982

University Cambridge

Completed in 1984

Dr. Dryer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dryer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Disc Replacement
    • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
    • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
    • Herniated Disc Surgery
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Low Back Procedure