Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD

Dr. Lutfi
Telehealth services available

Chicago Institute of Advanced Surgery

3000 N Halsted St Ste 703 Chicago, IL 60657

Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD is a Bariatric Surgery Specialist in Chicago, IL. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center and Little Company Of Mary Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Lutfi to book an appointment.

Compare with other Bariatric Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Lutfi with our nearby Bariatric Surgery Specialists at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Make an appointment at Northwestern Memorial Hospital today at (312) 620-1271.

These providers are on the medical staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Lutfi's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Lutfi

11.320754716981131%

Dr. Lutfi?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (49)
  • Listened & answered questions (48)
  • Staff friendliness (48)
  • Long wait times (11)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (4)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (2)
Best decision I made to have a VSG, just wish I made it sooner. If you want to be embraced and not shamed, because you struggled with obesity. Choose Dr. Lutfi and his team.
Angela Watson RN MSN – Apr 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr Lutfi and his team are amazing! I have not had my vertical sleeve surgery yet but they are walking with me through this process every step of the way and I love how they are taking the time to make sure I understand that this is NOT a quick fix. You have to set in your mind that you want to make this a lifestyle change. The work must start way before surgery. I applaud the nutritionist, Emma, who checks in with me every month to make sure I am on track to ensure I have a successful journey. The material she has provided me with has help me make positive changes in my eating habits and I’ve even lost about 7lbs just from changing the way I eat. Portion control, I’ve realized was MY problem in the past but I’ve been doing well with maintaining my portions of food that I eat. I look forward to furthering my journey to a better me and I’m thankful to Dr. Lutfi and his team for helping me get there.
Mar 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Great! We just touched base via a phone call. I've been a patient of Dr.Lutfi for many years and I always like touch base.
Teresa Gottstein – Jan 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr Lutfi and his staff are incredible. Truly caring and hard working people. Best of all my surgery went off without a hitch with zero complications. The whole process through recovery could not have been better.
Nancy S – Nov 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi was very supportive of my health journey and runs a very respectful office. His easy going attitude made the whole experience great. His staff was also very supportive and communicative.
Yara – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi is an outstanding bariatric surgeon. His extraordinary work in resolving my chronic small bowel obstructions produced by adhesions from previous surgeries really changed my life. I cannot recommend him more highly. He is a compassionate, consummate professional with remarkable skills.
Bruce Evensen – Jun 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr Lutfi and his entire team are WONDERFUL! A surgical procedure is never pleasant but I can honestly say this was the most pain free and easiest recovery EVER. Everyone there is attentive make you feel at ease.
Kimberly Carter – Jun 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi and his team are simply amazing!!!! I had the sleeve gastrectomy in April of 2018. I successfully lost 96 pounds. From my initial consultation to post surgery appointments, to my one year surgery anniversary and beyond, Dr. Lutfi and his team have been professional and supportive throughout my weight loss journey. I appreciate the thoroughness and follow-up from the entire team. All of my questions/concerns were always addressed with care and compassion. I felt comfortable and very well supported during every stage of my journey. Dr. Lutfi is fiercely knowledgeable, scholarly, cutting edge, a leader in the bariatric field, and passionate about raising awareness about the obesity epidemic. I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Lutfi and his team. Thank you for changing my life!
T. G. Jackson – Jan 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi and his team are amazing—they’ve gone above and beyond my expectations. After the surgery, Dr. Veilleux (fellow) AND Dr. Lufti separately came in to see me at night. Their office team, especially Molly, are top-notch. My PCP suggested Dr. Lutfi, and I’m so glad he did. If you are looking to have bariatric surgery (I had a VSG), go see Dr. Lutfi.
  • Long wait times
Chuck BV – Jan 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Every staff member from receptionist to Dr. Lutfi was very engaging!! I felt comfortable and in good hands!! Dr. Lutfi was warm and friendly!! Made me feel like my concerns were his concerns.
Carolyn Thomas – Nov 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Excellent pre-op preparation: I went into surgery with no worries. Recovery was exactly as described. It was relatively pain free, and I've been successful losing weight. I've lost >160 lbs so far (after about 1 year from the initial consult; 9 months since surgery). I feel so much better and am grateful to him and his staff.
Apr 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Both Dr.lutfi and his staff have an amazing bedside manner. He really makes you feel like you've known him all your life. Really a great Dr. And has a great staff.
Mar 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi performed my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in May of 2018. It’s now been nearly 8 months since my surgery and I’ve had no complications or set-backs. In fact, since beginning my weight loss journey, I’ve lost a total of 233 lbs. (151 lbs. since surgery). Dr. Lutfi and his staff have always been willing to take the time to address my concerns and answer my questions. For anyone out there considering bariatric surgery, I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Lutfi.
Jan 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
I had a great experience. I always feel very comfortable in the office talking to the team
Patricia C in Hanmond, IL – Nov 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Not only a wonderful surgeon but a wonderful man, that is Dr. Lutfi. His talent and sense of caring are unsurpassed.
Chicago, IL – Oct 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi and his team are amazing. They listen to all your thoughts and concerns and addresses each one to put your mind at ease but also not pushing you into anything and letting the patient make their own decisions. Dr. Lutfi is a great surgeon and doctor and his team helps make this a successful place to have bariatric surgery.
AV in Portage – Oct 12, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Wonderful surgeon - taking great care of my father and no one else I would trust
Oct 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Dr. Lutfi is an excellent surgeon. His is very skilled and thorough. He and his team guide you through every step of your bariatric journey and make sure no question goes unanswered and allays any fears or doubts. I had no pain after my surgery and was on my feet hours afterward. I've seen amazing results in a short period of time, and I couldn't have done it without the assistance of his team. And the care doesn't stop with surgery. They guide you through life after, too.
Dave W. in Chicago, IL – Aug 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
De Lufti is a very professional and knowledgeable Dr. came highly recommended by my General Dr. and i am not disappointed. I would recommend him to anyone who’s interested improving their quality of life. He is one of the best in his feild.
Chicago – Apr 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?
Good process, Good introduction of team. Didn't spend much time with Dr. Lutfi but he was resourceful and seems approachable. Not a lot of availability for appointments and referrals.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
JZ – Apr 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rami Lutfi, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Lutfi?

"My practice philosophy is to emphasize and exhaust all non-surgical treatment options before considering surgery. When surgery is necessary, we utilize...Read more

Rami Lutfi, MD, FACS is nationally and internationally known as a leader in Bariatric Surgery. He is a pioneer of many ground-breaking techniques and procedures,...Read more

• Bariatric Surgery

1998
University of Illinois Hospital

• Arabic
  • French

• SAGES (Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons) Best Laparoscopic Fellows oral presentation, 2004
  • Resident Achievement Award; University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003
  • Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons (SLS) Scholarship Award, 2004
  • SAGES Research Grant Award; “Acid Clearance Physiology after Collis-Nissen Gastroplasty, Nissen Fundoplication, and In Healthy Individuals.”, 2005
  • Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons (SLS) Scholarship Award, 2003

• Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: Comparison of two techniques of gastrointestinal anastomosis, May 2005
  • Is Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery the Most Effective Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Morbidly Obese Patients?, Nov 2005
  • Three years experience doing the Stretta procedure; does it really make a difference?, Feb 2005
  • Heller myotomy vs Heller myotomy plus Dor fundoplication: cost-utility analysis of a randomized trial, March 2006
  • Resolution of metabolic syndrome after gastric bypass surgery: Multivariate analysis, May 2005
  • Predictors of success after laparoscopic gastric bypass: a multivariate analysis of socioeconomic factors, 6/ 2006
  • Predictors of early quality-of-life improvement after laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery, April 2007
  • The Stretta Procedure, 2004
  • Endoscopic evaluation of the gastrojejunostomy in laparoscopic gastric bypass A series of 340 patients without postoperative leak, Dec 2005
  • The Endoscopic Radiofrequency Approach to Management of GERD, June 2004
  • Laparoscopic lysis of adhesions, 2004
  • Heller Myotomy versus Heller Myotomy with Dor Fundoplication for Achalasia: a Prospective Randomized Double-blind Clinical Trial, Sept 2004
  • Endoscopic Treatment Modalities for Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Sept 2004
  • Current Treatment of Achalsia, 2005