Dr. Rajen Desai, MD

OphthalmologyMaleAge 42

Ophthalmology

Dr. Rajen Desai, MD is an Ophthalmology Specialist in Edison, NJ and has over 15 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Stanford Med Sch|Stanford University Medical Center in 2008. He is affiliated with Hackensack Meridian Old Bridge Medical Center. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Rajen Desai, MD

Santamaria Eye Center

4 Ethel Rd Ste 403A Edison, NJ 08817
Telehealth services available
Telehealth services available

Compare with other Ophthalmology Specialists

Compare Dr. Desai with our nearby Ophthalmology Specialists at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset.

Make an appointment at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset today at (908) 663-9705.

These providers are on the medical staff of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset.

Dr. Desai's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Desai

Best Glaucoma Surgeon
My husband, who is under 40, started to experience blurry vision in the left eye all of a sudden. He went to multiple doctors to figure out the cause. After several eye check ups, MRI scans and other tests, it was determined that he had glaucoma and he needed immediate attention. We were referred to Dr. Rajen Desai and going to him was one of the best decisions we ever took! Dr. Desai is not only a knowledgeable opthalmologist but also a very caring and compassionate person. He performed glaucoma surgery to the left eye and laser surgery to the right eye. He was with us throughout the process and explained every step carefully. He took time to answer all our questions. His constant attention and communication has been a great reassurance for us at every stage and our experience with him has been nothing short of excellent. Overall Dr. Desai handled our case very well. He is outstanding and I highly recommend him for advanced eye care!
Sushmitha Bhagi – Jul 17, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
He is a very compassionate, caring doctor. Gives you full attention with my concerns. He operated on my husband three years ago. I recently had my cataract removed and could not be more pleased. I would definitely recommend him to friends, family and others. He ALWAYS RETURN YOUR CALLS IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS. I would like to apologize for my past review. I had a very bad day and took out my frustration when I write my review. I would like to remove my negativity as I was totally unfair. Dr. desi is an OUTSTANDING DOCTOR VERY PROFESSIONAL AND WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OTHER DOCTOR. Thank you and again please accept my apology.
Sheila McCormack – Jan 16, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
I recently underwent cataract cataract surgery surgery as well as a stent placementfor glaucoma. As a board certified internist cardiologist and registered pharmacist I'm in a good position to evaluate physicians.DrDesai was excellent. All was well explained and Dr Desai communicated via text. I was quite happy with the whole experience I would highly recommend Doctor Desai, and in particular very happy with the results . I have referred my own patients to him
LarryJCohenMDFACCFACPRph – Dec 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
I recently had cataract surgery with Dr. Desai at the Specialized Surgical Center in East Brunswick. The staff, nurses and technicians were both professional and helpful. The facility was modern, sterile, and had Covid precautions down to a science. After surgery, my vision is amazing! Colors are vibrant and beautiful! The post operative instructions are clear and after reviewing them a couple of times, I was able to follow them easily and place the eye drops without any difficulty. The follow up visit with an eye doctor was convenient and reassuring. My new lenses are perfect! Follow up contact from the doctor and Surgicenter was helpful. Seriously, I cannot believe how the cataract affected my vision. Colors in my world were dull and muted. Now, the sky is so blue, the grass is beautiful green, and the squirrels in my backyard are gray, not a dull brown! Thank you Dr. Desai for performing my cataract surgery and improving my vision and my experience in the world!
Joanne – Nov 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Rajen Desai is a top-notch ophthalmologist, trained at Northwestern University, with special interest in glaucoma & cataract surgery. He has done research and is very knowledgeable about state-of-the-art techniques and products, including novel lenses & stents. He took his time to explain the surgery and recovery expectations to my dad, who came to NJ for repair of his cataract and narrow-angle glaucoma. He is very happy with the outcome. I will certainly recommend Dr. Desai to anyone needing this type of expertise!!
Sep 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
I was operated by Dr. Desai two months ago. I received excellent preoperative and postoperative treatment. I regained my vision and became an avid reader again after the surgery. What a gift this young Doctor gave me at the age of 84. Right from first appointment until full recovery, Dr. Desai answered all my concerns. I am admirer of this tenanted Doctor. May God bless him with long healthy life to serve the humanity….. Shakuntala Lakhani
Shakuntala Lakhani – Aug 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Desai has been my physician for 16 months. I had severe pressure in my eyes due to glaucoma along with cataracts in both eyes. Dr. Desai has successfully lowered my pressure from 44 to 16 by using laser and inserting a stent in each eye and removing both cataracts. His attention to details and his kind, gentle technique and professionalism rate him as one of the best physicians in his field. Also, his office visits are never rushed—-always making you feel more like family than a patient !
Angelo Bonarrigo – Aug 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Desai is very knowlegable, thorough, professional and caring. He spends great mount of time during each visit to explain everything & collaborates with other docs from leading opthalmology hospital to provide best care for our child with glaucoma. Dr.Desai and his staff has always got back promptly whenever we have reached out for any request like additional tests, rescheduling, etc. Our overall experience at the Witlin Center for Advanced Eyecare has been a very positive one. The need for consistent and effective medical care is very critical for a child with glaucoma and we feel we are in great hands of Dr.Desai ! We highly recommend him.
Aug 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Rajen Desai is an excellent Eye Surgeon, very talented and through knowledgeable. He did my both eyes Cataract surgery nicely and I have 20/20 vision in both eyes. No Reading glass afterwards. He is the best, very cooperative in follow-up treatment also. I strongly recommend him for critical eye treatments. My ratings are 5 out of 5.
Mukesh Patel – Aug 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Many thanks to Dr. Desai for making my experience at the Witlin Center for Advanced Eyecare a positive one. When you begin to notice a loss of vision, the need for consistent and effective medical care is critical. Dr. Desai’s patience and support prior to back-to-back cataract surgery, taking the time to answer my questions, providing honest expectations in a positive manner and reassuring me of his continued support- was so very much appreciated. With much gratitude for my perfect vision, Kathy Ahmed
Kathleen Ahmed – Apr 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Failed Glaucoma surgery. I suffered eye loss and damage due to poor surgical technique.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Apr 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
My comments on Dr. Desai come from 2 perspectives --- as an optometrist and eye care practitioner knowledgeable from a medical perspective of the care Dr. Desai provides, as well as the sister of his patient who has an aggressive form of glaucoma, in need of surgery. Dr. Desai is at the forefront of providing the most recent evidence-based care and is a skilled surgeon/clinician. But in addition, he is a compassionate practitioner who truly cares about his patients and understands the apprehension of a patient dealing with the complexities of preserving their vision. Thank you, Dr. Desai, for all your good works.
Mar 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Desai initially treated my pseudo-exfoliation glaucoma with Xen Gel Stent surgery but because of its aggressive & unpredictable nature, he later inserted an Ahmed Valve. So far I have been able to come off of my eye drops & the pressure is in the single digits. He is extremely knowledgeable, generous & patient in his explanations and time, and goes above & beyond in providing hope & care. A true gem - I am blessed to have him as my doctor!
Teresa Adamczyk – Mar 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Very professional, caring, and very clear in his treatment plan from Surgeries to follow-up care. Would highly recommend Dr. Desai to anyone with major eye concerns, emphasis on Glaucoma diagnosis.
Feb 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
WOULD RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE WHO HAS TO HAVE SURGERY, DID SUCH A GREAT JOB, I RECOMMEND HIM TO ALL MY FRIENDS, MAKES YOU FEEL SO COMFORTABLE, AND RELAXED
WILLIAM J KATONA – Sep 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Most pleasant and comfortable experience. I will recommend to anyone.
Pradyumna Patel – Aug 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Desai operated on my cataracts last year. I have had no problems or issues since then. I went back for my yearly checkup and he was personable and as sincere as he was when he operated on me.
Norma Shapiro – Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
I was quite calm on the day of surgery, because of my confidence in Dr. Desai, and his full explanation of the surgical procedure for glaucoma. It was interesting that although I was awake throughout, I was totally comfortable.
Jul 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Dr. Desai is just wonderful! I was scared to get cataract surgery. Infact I had it scheduled months before and chickened out! When I rescheduled, I met with Dr. Desai. He explained everything that would happen. He said he would take care of me and he did. The day of the surgery, he met with me while I was in prep to calm my nerves. Once in the surgery room he talked me through it. I was waiting for Dr Desai to say he was starting. To my surprise he said he was done!! I did not feel a thing!! It was as perfect as it could get. Thanks Dr. Desai for doing a great job and putting me at ease. You are a wonderful person and Doctor. Thank you!!!
Delta Hazell – Apr 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?
Great experience and an amazing doctor with a great personality
Apr 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Rajen Desai, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Desai?