Dr. Rafael Bonilla-Marquez, MD

Internal Medicine | Male

Dr. Rafael Bonilla-Marquez, MD
Dr. Rafael Bonilla-Marquez, MD is an internal medicine doctor who practices in Tampa, FL. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 36 years. Dr. Bonilla-Marquez is affiliated with Tampa General Hospital.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Care Philosophy

I try to treat my patients like I would want my family members to be treated. I sit down and listen to their concerns and complaints and I try to always remember to treat the whole patient and not just the disease. So much of being a physician involves reassuring and calming patients during their illnesses, as well as teaching preventative care. It is also very important to establish a rapport so that the patient will be more likely to listen to my advice.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Experience

See how Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Bonilla-Marquez

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez accepts 3 insurance carriers

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez is now accepting new patients
    R. Maurice Bonilla, M.D.905 W Platt St
    Tampa, FL 33606
    (813) 254-0222Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Bonilla-Marquez has admitting privileges.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bonilla-Marquez to family and friends
    3.9
    Dr. Bonilla-Marquez Says:

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Performance
    in Tampa, FL |
    Dr Bonilla makes you feel like you're his only patient. Like he has all the time in the world for you. He carefully listens. Dr Bonilla is very, very kind. Dr Bonilla is an excellent diagnostician. If you want a physician who will truly care for you, it's Dr Bonilla.
    in Tampa, FL |
    I have been going to doctor Bonilla for almost 10 years. When I moved here for college I got really sick and that's when I met him. He extremely smart and personable. Thank you Dr. Bonilla!!
    Tampa, FL |
    One of the best doctors in town
    Tampa, FL |
    Always makes me feel comfortable. He's super caring and competent.
    in Zephyrhills, FL |
    Negative experience overall ? Dr. Bonilla, while personable and friendly, institutes a no-refund policy and requires pre-payment of services a full month in advance. If you leave the weight-loss program, his practice does not refund the pre-paid amount. In addition, the weight-loss program?s stringent dietary restrictions were unrealistic.
    Have you seen Dr. Rafael Bonilla-Marquez, MD?
    Are you Dr. Bonilla-Marquez?

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Care Philosophy

I try to treat my patients like I would want my family members to be treated. I sit down and listen to their concerns and complaints and I try to always remember to treat the whole patient and not just the disease. So much of being a physician involves reassuring and calming patients during their illnesses, as well as teaching preventative care. It is also very important to establish a rapport so that the patient will be more likely to listen to my advice.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez says...

People sometimes say that  I am a good diagnostician. I certainly don't think that I come by that label because I am super smart. (I'm not!)  When I was a resident, my Chief, Dr. Seifert, drilled it into me that it is critical to take a thorough history and do a complete physical. But, most importantly, to LISTEN and to touch.   Many times, as you are walking out the door with your hand on the doorknob, the patient will say, "Oh, Dr., I forgot, just one little more thing!" Sometimes that "one little thing" is the most serious of all. If you take the time to listen, the patient will help you make a diagnosis.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez says...

My biggest challenge has been helping patients to lose weight and to MAINTAIN their weight loss.  This has been a special focus of mine for many years.  When I first started my practice, it did not take me long to realize that so many of the chronic conditions that I was treating on a daily basis were linked to chronic obesity.  I made it my mission to try to help people to understand that they could have a tremendous impact on their health, happiness and lifespan by simply getting their weight under control.  There is nothing more gratifying than taking a patient off of their insulin, or hearing that they can walk up a flight of stairs for the first time without being out of breath, or hearing that they got a promotion after they lost weight and gained confidence. Managing obesity is a lifetime commitment and if I can help even one person to see that they have a chance to control so many of the conditions that they think are out of their control, I have had a great day!

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez says...

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback.  I am always open to suggestions, concerns, complaints, and of course, compliments! There is always room for improvement. We thank you for your referrals of friends and family because new patients are the lifeblood of our practice.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call or email anytime. Sincerely, R. Maurice Bonilla, M.D.

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Internal Medicine
    •  Board certified in Geriatric Medicine and Internal Medicine

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Bonilla-Marquez's Board Certifications

• Arthritis of the Neck
    • Arthritis of the Shoulder
    • Arthritis of the Spine
    • Asthma
    • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    • Congestive Heart Failure
    • Depression
    • Emphysema
    • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
    • Heart Disease

Oakland University

Graduated in 1976

University Of Detroit Mercy

Graduated in 1972

Dr. Bonilla-Marquez does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bonilla-Marquez and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Geriatric Medicine