Dr. Phillip Tibbs, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Dr. Phillip Tibbs, MD

Dr. Tibbs is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Kentucky. He graduated with honors from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine and received his residency training in Neurosurgery at the University of Kentucky. Dr. Tibbs is Board Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery and is nationally and internationally recognized as an expert in Neurosurgery.

...See Less

Dr. Tibbs' Experience

See how Dr. Tibbs' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Tibbs

Dr. Tibbs accepts 10 insurance carriers

Dr. Tibbs is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Tibbs has admitting privileges.

Dr. Tibbs' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tibbs to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Tibbs' Performance
Versailles, KY |
excellent surgery result. very good rapport with patients
in Irvine, KY |
I had more than ten years of back problems, the last three of which were almost constant and intense pain. One surgeon told me nothing could be done surgically. I got a second opinion from Dr. Tibbs and that decision changed my whole life. I should say Dr. Tibbs and his team changed my whole life. That is an understatement. A NEW pain free life was given to me. Dr. Tibbs is a wizard and his entire team is just as incredible. And I am telling anybody who will listen.
London, KY |
I was very disappointed in my last visit with Dr. Tibbs. I went there in serious pain with an MRI that shows a pinched nerve. The trip to his office was about 2 hours from my home. He made me leave his office and go to Baptist Health and pick up a report that could have easily faxed. I had to walk so far by the time I got to Medical Records, I was in tears. They were so kind to me there and gave me transport back to my vehicle. I went back to Tibbs office and he treated me cold.
in Salyersville, KY |
Dr. Tibbs did a spinal fusion on my lower back in 1996. He told that I might start having trouble in 15-18 years from the scar tissue and the continued degeneration of my disc. Its been 20 years now and only now am I starting to have more back pain. He also did a spinal fusion in my neck about 4 years ago. If it wasn't for this man I wouldn't have been able to continue to work and I would have been forced to retire. Hes the best in the world in my book.
Scottsburg, IN |
I had spinal fusion in March and was back to work by June. I was very pleased that he didn't try to push surgery on me after he told me that was what it was going to take to fix my pain infact he seen the terrifying look I had on my face and encouraged me to take a few days and think about it. After taking a few days to think and pray about it I felt like surgery was what I nended. Not only was Dr. Tibbs wonderful but his staff in office and during my hospital staff was awesome.
in Lexington, KY |
I found that Dr Tibbs was not responsive to my needs: as if he were only reading my MRI and XRays. He insisted I try other interventions before he would consider surgery. I found out from the pharmacist he prescribed a large dose of a neurotransmitter protagonist drug. When I queried Dr Tibbs on this he said it should have been a smaller dose and wrote it off as a typo and never addressed the issue of not informing me. He may very well be a good surgeon, but I am going elsewhere for my needs.
in Tollesboro, KY |
I chose Dr. Tibbs because of his experience and reputation. I had spinal fusion surgery Nov. 2015 and was well pleased with Dr. Tibbs. He was very nice and caring with me. I would highly recommend him as a neurosurgeon.
in Harrodsburg, KY |
Found Dr Tibbs on computer, made app 12/7/2015 Had neuropathy in both hands, loss of balance, couldn't hold on to an ink pen without dropping, fell several times last year, had difficulty tying shoestrings, wringing out wash cloth, holding onto things without dropping them.Dr Tibbs did emergency surgery 12/8.I had spinal cord damage,he removed the 1 sharp bone spur which was flipping my spinal cord,plus fused my vertebrae w/bone &plate.I can do those things I lost now!He saved me from paralysis
in Paris, KY |
The reason I give 5 stars is there isn`t 6 available. I had suffered for 10 years, been to SEVERAL 'specialists', and not one could find why I had the level of pain I had until Dr. Tibbs. I am now pain free and returning to work 8 weeks after surgery! I cannot recommend a seurgon any more highly than Dr. Tibbs.
in London, KY |
He is a wonderful doctor. Very competent!
Have you seen Dr. Phillip Tibbs, MD?
Are you Dr. Tibbs?

Compare Dr. Tibbs

Dr. Tibbs says...

Dr. Tibbs' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Kentucky not available

Dr. Tibbs has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

Why It Matters: Dr. Tibbs' Board Certifications

• Neurosurgery

• Cervical Radiculopathy
  • Ear Disorders
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Thrombosis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Graduated in 1973

Completed in 1974

Completed in 1979

Thomas Moore College

Graduated in 1969

Dr. Tibbs does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tibbs and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Cervical Spine Surgery
  • Disc Replacement
  • Laminectomy
  • Lumbar Microdiscectomy
  • Lumbar Spine Surgery
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Fusion