Dr. Phillip A. Tibbs, MD

Dr. Phillip A. Tibbs, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Kentucky Neuroscience Institute 740 S Limestone B-101, Lexington, KY 40536 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Personal Bio

Dr. Tibbs' Experience

100Experience
Match

See how Dr. Tibbs' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Tibbs

Dr. Tibbs accepts 10 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Tibbs has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Tibbs' Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tibbs to family and friends
4.3
Experience with Dr. Tibbs
Dr. Tibbs' Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (21)
in Salyersville, KY |
Dr. Tibbs did a spinal fusion on my lower back in 1996. He told that I might start having trouble in 15-18 years from the scar tissue and the continued degeneration of my disc. Its been 20 years now and only now am I starting to have more back pain. He also did a spinal fusion in my neck about 4 years ago. If it wasn't for this man I wouldn't have been able to continue to work and I would have been forced to retire. Hes the best in the world in my book.
Scottsburg, IN |
I had spinal fusion in March and was back to work by June. I was very pleased that he didn't try to push surgery on me after he told me that was what it was going to take to fix my pain infact he seen the terrifying look I had on my face and encouraged me to take a few days and think about it. After taking a few days to think and pray about it I felt like surgery was what I nended. Not only was Dr. Tibbs wonderful but his staff in office and during my hospital staff was awesome.
in Lexington, KY |
I found that Dr Tibbs was not responsive to my needs: as if he were only reading my MRI and XRays. He insisted I try other interventions before he would consider surgery. I found out from the pharmacist he prescribed a large dose of a neurotransmitter protagonist drug. When I queried Dr Tibbs on this he said it should have been a smaller dose and wrote it off as a typo and never addressed the issue of not informing me. He may very well be a good surgeon, but I am going elsewhere for my needs.
in Tollesboro, KY |
I chose Dr. Tibbs because of his experience and reputation. I had spinal fusion surgery Nov. 2015 and was well pleased with Dr. Tibbs. He was very nice and caring with me. I would highly recommend him as a neurosurgeon.
in Harrodsburg, KY |
Found Dr Tibbs on computer, made app 12/7/2015 Had neuropathy in both hands, loss of balance, couldn't hold on to an ink pen without dropping, fell several times last year, had difficulty tying shoestrings, wringing out wash cloth, holding onto things without dropping them.Dr Tibbs did emergency surgery 12/8.I had spinal cord damage,he removed the 1 sharp bone spur which was flipping my spinal cord,plus fused my vertebrae w/bone &plate.I can do those things I lost now!He saved me from paralysis
in Paris, KY |
The reason I give 5 stars is there isn`t 6 available. I had suffered for 10 years, been to SEVERAL 'specialists', and not one could find why I had the level of pain I had until Dr. Tibbs. I am now pain free and returning to work 8 weeks after surgery! I cannot recommend a seurgon any more highly than Dr. Tibbs.
in London, KY |
He is a wonderful doctor. Very competent!
Have you seen Dr. Phillip A. Tibbs, MD?
Are you Dr. Tibbs?

• Cervical Radiculopathy
  • Ear Disorders
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Spinal Cord Tumor

• Laminectomy
  • Lumbar Microdiscectomy
  • Lumbar Spine Surgery
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • Spine Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kentucky.

Graduated in 1973

Completed in 1974

Completed in 1979

Thomas Moore College

Graduated in 1969

Dr. Tibbs has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Tibbs does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tibbs and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Tibbs' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Neurosurgery
  • Board certified in Neurosurgery
  • Malpractice claims in Kentucky not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Tibbs

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Tibbs' Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
16 – 30 minutes

Experience with Dr. Tibbs

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Tibbs says...

Dr. Tibbs is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Kentucky. He graduated with honors from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine and received his residency training in Neurosurgery at the University of Kentucky. Dr. Tibbs is Board Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery and is nationally and internationally recognized as an expert in Neurosurgery.