Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Philip To, MD
Originally from Toledo, Ohio, Dr. To received his Bachelor of Science in Biology and Minor in Psychology, magna cum laude, from Ohio State University (OSU). Shortly after completing his undergraduate degree at OSU, Dr. To received his Doctorate of Medicine at The University of Cincinnati (UC) in Cincinnati, Ohio. During his time at UC, Dr. To worked as a faculty assistant to incoming 1st and 3rd year medical students. Dr. To acquainted students with the university's buildings, taught various suturing techniques, and tutored students in gross anatomy for their coursework and exams. In June 2013, Dr. To completed his residency at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. He credits his fascination with the meticulous detail and precision of upper extremity orthopedic surgery as an inspiration for pursuing the specialty. Dr. To has since finished his fellowship training under the supervision and mentorship of Dr. Peter J. Stern at the Mary S. Stern Hand Fellowship in Cincinnati, Ohio. Throughout his educational experience, Dr. To completed a number of research projects and contributed to numerous medical journals. When he is not assisting patients or performing surgeries, Dr. To enjoys traveling, cooking and Ohio State Football.

20401 N 73rd St Ste 175

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

• Ameriben
  • American International Group (AIG)
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Foundation
  • Broadspire
  • CNA
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • CopperPoint Mutual

Learn about Dr. To

I pride myself on being honest and listening to the patient.  Too often physicians do not listen to their patients. I strive every day to be a better listener and physician.  Also, I treat everyone based on the principle "to do no harm".  I think of my patients as a family members and treat them as I would want my loved ones treated.  Moreover, I believe the patient should be a key player in deciding the treatment plan.  Medicine is a team effort that needs clear communication.  Most importantly, I will always be available for my patients.

Dr. To's Experience

Dr. To's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery
  • Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery

Dr. To does not have any board certifications listed.

• Arthritis of the Finger
  • Elbow Disorders
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Pain
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Nerve Injury
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Hands
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis of Hand and Wrist
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Trigger Finger

• Tendon Repair
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• The Ohio State University
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Vanderbilt Medical Center
  • University Of Cincinnati Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. To has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. To has no media or publications listed.

Dr. To does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. To and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. To's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. To to family and friends
4.2
Dr. To Says:

I appreciate any type of feedback.  If you would like to contact me, please call one of the offices and I will get back to you as soon as possible.  Thank you for your feedback.

Dr. To's Performance
in Scottsdale, AZ |
My left index finger was severely bent from arthritis. Dr. To performed surgery and inserted a pin to straighten the finger. I am very happy wth the results. From our initial consult through surgery and all follow-ups my experience was superlative. Dr. To was communicative, provided detailed information, and answered all questions. I felt comfortable and secure that I was "in good hands". Dr.To was also accessible during the post operative period of care. Lastly, he has a great personality.
Phoenix, AZ |
I was extremely impressed with Dr. To’s caring bedside manner! He listened very attentively to all my concerns and was thorough in his explanations. He was very knowledgeable and professional during my visit as well. I also appreciated that he was conservative in his treatment approach. I would definitely recommend Dr. To to anyone in need of orthopedic care!
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr To performed Dupuytrens contracture surgery on both of my hands with excellent results. Both hands had fingers with contractures in excess of 90 degrees with results of 0 degrees on one hand and 15 degrees on the other. Consultation, scheduling, surgery (Desert Ridge) and physical therapy were all excellent. I would recommend Dr. To for anyone considering Dupuytrens surgery.
Scottsdale, AZ |
I have seen Dr. To a number of times and have always been impressed! He is an attentive listener and answers my questions thoroughly, clearly laying out all options for me and helping to discern which option best fits my needs. I would recommend Dr. To to anyone!
Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. To saw my 6 year old son for his index finger. He was very attentive and caring regarding my concerns about his nail being infected and made my son feel relaxed throughout the whole process. Dr. To took great care of my son and informed of us a good treatment plan to help treat my son's finger, no surgery needed!
Scottsdale, AZ |
I have never written a physicians review, but feel compelled to write of my experience with Dr To. I would never recommend Dr To to anyone. He entered the exam room 45 min past appointment time, looked at the x-ray, was not listening when I attempted to describe symptoms, gave me a generic diagnosis and offered no treatment options before abruptly exiting the room. I have bèn a registered nurse for over 20 years and must say, Dr. To is the worst physician I have see.
Phoenix, AZ |
I was less than impressed by Dr To. After sitting in the exam room for 20 minutes while listening to him discuss the advantages of staying in their current building, he spent approximately 5 minutes examining the injury on my hand and telling me i just needed to do exercises. There was no guidance provided as to how long to do the exercises, how often or how may reps. No recommendation for physical therapy to help "break up" the scar tissue causing significant swelling.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr To did surgery on both my hands for carpal tunnel. Had almost zero pain and back using them less than a week later. Truly an amazing surgeon. And may I add you can't even see the scars !
Scottsdale, az |
I had two surgeries for carpal tunnel from Dr To with almost 0 pain. First I did my right hand then I did my left. I went from having hand pain all the time to nothing at all. Hes truly an amazing surgeon! and you can't even see the surgical scar he did it so well !
Private, *** |
My wife went to see him for persistent hand and arm pain. He examined her, took some x-rays, said that it was nothing, and ran out of the office. We tried to ask some follow-up questions of him and his staff, but no one would return our calls. We feel they only care to bill our insurance, but not to help the patients. This is especially disappointing as we used to deal with other doctors at that office for many years, and our interactions with their doctors and staff used to be mostly positive
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr To is absolutely amazing!!! He performed a trapeziectomy and LTRI repositioning the ligament and tendons. Very professional courteous and personable. I sincerely appreciated his experience and knowledge of the procedure bringing a new fresh approach to this surgery. My recovery was hastened because of his methods
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. To is amazing! I went in unable to even lift my hand, and left with my hand a little sore, but already improving. Now 5 days later it's perfect again. He was nice and understanding, and took the time to make sure that I understood everything. I would recommend him to anyone who needs a hand or arm doctor. I'm so glad I went to him!
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I would highly recommend Dr. To. He is awesome. He takes time to answer your questions and is very reassuring. I had a radial head replacement done on my elbow and everything has gone quite smoothly. Even my scar is minimal. He's the best!!
in Safford az |
He is absolutely amazing I am pain free thank you Dr. TO. I drove from Safford Az 3 hr drive just to go to him. He's that good.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I recently had the opportunity to meet Dr To with my daughter who was experiencing extreme hand/wrist pain. He was very kind, professional and had a great bed-side manner. He spent plenty of time listening to her, as well as explaining what was causing the pain and possible treatment options Dr. To was conservative in his approach on how to treat her which I greatly appreciated. She is doing much better now and I am hoping no further treatment will be needed! I would highly recommend him!
Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr To was very knowledgeable about my condition and after surgery my pain has subsided and my range of motion has increased dramatically. He was thorough, patient, and polite during all visits and gave conservative options to treatment first. I would strongly reccommend Dr To.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. To. I saw you a month ago for my hand and wrist. You would not even look at my xray and said I have arthritis. Well I saw my doctor today for the pain and he said i have a torn tendon. My thumb won't bend straight. Told me I needed to see a hand specialist for surgery. You were dismissive, acted like a know it all and in the end you were wrong. So put on your big boy pants and call me and apologize and just maybe I'll let you work on my hand
phoenix, AZ |
He wasn't having a great day so he was a bit short and he took our questions for clarification for not believing him. I'm more than happy to assume he isn't always so dismissive but it left us being very unsure and anxious despite his positive prognosis.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr. To gave me a whole new thumb. It was painful and deformed from arthritis. He was kind, thoughtful and best of all very gifted at what he does. His staff was always kind, caring and professional.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I had an emergency need for a broken finger. Not only did Dr. To's staff get me in on the same day (with the understanding that I may have to wait awhile in the waiting room) but they took me back early, saw me within minutes, diagnosed, treated, set the finger and sent me out the door within 20 minutes. The staff was uncharacteristically friendly and Dr. To was informed, decisive and kind. Yolanda was amazing as she handled all the details & care. I will highly recommend them to others!
Have you seen Dr. Philip To, MD?
Are you Dr. To?

Visit Dr. To

Evening
Dr. To accepts 28 insurance carriers
  • Ameriben
  • American International Group (AIG)
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Foundation
  • Broadspire
  • CNA
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • CopperPoint Mutual
  • CorVel
  • Gallagher Basset
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA