Dr. Philip Stieg, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 67

Telehealth services available

Dr. Philip Stieg, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New York, NY. Dr. Stieg has more experience with Cranial Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Stieg to book an appointment.

Weill Cornell Medicine Brain and Spine Center

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Weill Cornell Medicine Brain and Spine Center

Dr. Stieg's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Stieg

Dr. Stieg?
Dr. Steig did a second opinion for my Hydrocephalus that had previously been performed. Dr. Steig really listened and understood my problems and concerns. Even though he would be criticizing another Neurosurgeon he came to a recommendation that clearly is critical of the doctor. Then he went the extra mile and called the other doctor. I had a phone call in a mater of hours for an appointment with the original doctor (that I had not seen at all since my surgery). Dr. Steig is excellent!!!
Jul 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Office was very accommodating and helpful. Dr Stieg and his office would be on the very top of my list of doctors the I would reccomend.
John F – Jul 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Dr. Stieg has an outstanding demeanor that makes me feel comfortable and takes away my worries about my craniotomy. My video visit went very well.
Jun 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Amazing. Felt comfortable and sure that we used the right physician.
Jun 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
There is nothing like going to the best neurosurgeon. I went to my appointment with Dr Steig with a very high opinion of him as well as great confidence in him . He explained in great detail and in layman’s terms what my forthcoming surgery will entail. I left his office with even greater confidence in him as a doctor and high respect of him as a person.
Cymthia Mistretta – Jun 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
I had a video appointment arranged by his most capable assistant, Darcel. I received a most thorough review of my MRI and my condition was explained to me in extreme detail. Dr. Stieg is most thoughtful and a powerful member of the medical community, and I feel fortunate to have had his attention. Highly recommended.
Carolyn Steigrad – Apr 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
I find him direct and honest, yet warm. Great bedside manner. I trust his professionalism, his knowledge base and expertise. Would definitely recommend.
Nancy Clipper – Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Dr. Stieg is the most outstanding physician that our family has had the pleasure to work with! His knowledge and experience is superior and far exceeds any doctors we have ever encountered. His bed-side-manner is very humorous and very to the point. His poignant and direct opinions are refreshing and makes any fear and concern slip away very quickly. Dr. Stieg’s support team is gracious, concerning, and compassionate. It is very easy to see that they have all acquired the same talents as Dr. Stieg while continuing to demonstrate their immense skills and knowledge and eagerness to be there for the patient and patient’s family. We are so grateful to have the opportunity for Dr. Stieg and his team take care of our family member!
Kim MacConnell – Feb 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
He is very friendly and personable, extremely knowledgeable, very professional, very helpful, and spends a lot of time with his patients to answer any questions and share his expertise.
Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Five star Dr Steig is an amazing dr. He went beyond the call of duty to diagnose me and inform me about the options for treatment . His bedside manner was warm. Dr. Steig answered Amy questions clearly and explained well. I endorse this doctor with no reservations .
Jan 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
My visit to Dr. Stieg is always good because he makes me feel very comfortable about my upcoming surgery, and he has a kind bedside manner.
Sherrie Sarnicola – Jan 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Extremely helpful and knowledgeable doctor. Dr. Steig took the time to really listen to what I had been thru, what I was experiencing neurologically and helped figure out a path to reliving the issues I have been experiencing.
Jan 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
This was a recommended consult from my doctor. Excellent follow-up including his interns who were also personable and professional.
Chrisp – Dec 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
I saw Dr. Stieg for the relatively rare condition known as a Chiari Malformation. I also have a syringomyelia. Dr, Stieg was the second doctor I saw for this condition. The first doctor recommended surgery in 3-4 months. Before I visited him, Dr. Stieg ordered an extensive series of MRI studies of my brain and spine, which helped him make a more exact diagnosis. When I met him, I found Dr. Stieg very knowledgeable and professional. He created a relaxed atmosphere and explained my condition in a way that put it into perspective. He recommended a more conservative wait-and-see approach instead of rushing into surgery. I was also very impressed by the fact that after my visit, he met with other neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists, and nurses in his department. They discussed my case and all agreed that I should repeat an MRI in three months to reassess my condition. His approach to my care put me at ease and made me confident in his and his team's ability to treat my condition.
Donald Reilly – Dec 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Outstanding professional and caring doctor
michael kipperman – Dec 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Dr.Stieg was the ultimate surgeon He quarterbacked a very complex case with precision. I am forever indebted to Dr.Stieg and his high level team!!!!!
Dec 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Wonderful the best around honest to the point and a sense of humor to keep our spirits high
Daniel Moloney – Nov 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Dr. Stieg is the consummate professional. I had seen another neurologist at another hospital who had recommended radiation as a possible treatment for my condition. Dr. Stieg very calmly explained the questions I should be asking and the answers to those questions. His whole approach was "do no harm," and let's monitor this but that's it. Very highly recommended.
Jeff T. – Nov 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Dr. Steig really took the time to listen and to ask direct, specific questions. He raised issues that no other doctor had done before.
Nov 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?
Phenomenal professional. Complete explanations and always shows great empathy, concern and understanding.
Peter Liria – Nov 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Stieg, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Stieg?

Dr. Stieg accepts

Dr. Stieg accepts the following insurance:

Blue Access (Select Network)-NY
HIP Health Plan of New York
Medicaid

No malpractice claims found for New York

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.

Typically treats 91% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 2 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Brain Surgery

Dr. Stieg performs Brain Surgery more than 96% of their peers

Dr. Stieg performs this procedure more than 96% of their peers

Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Dr. Stieg performs Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy more than 87% of their peers

Dr. Stieg performs this procedure more than 87% of their peers

Neuro-oncology

Oncologists diagnose and treat tumors, both malignant and benign, in or near the brain and spinal cord.

Typically treats 91% more than their peers

Dr. Stieg treats this condition more than 92% of their peers

Meningiomas

Dr. Stieg treats Meningiomas more than 92% of their peers

Dr. Stieg treats this condition more than 92% of their peers

Dr. Stieg treats Brain and Nervous System Cancer (incl. Gliomas, Astrocytoma, Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma, Chordoma) more than 91% of their peers

Dr. Stieg treats this condition more than 91% of their peers

• Brain Surgery
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
  • Subdural Hemorrhage
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

After having earned my Ph.D. in Neuroscience, I became fascinated by the intricacies and processes of the central nervous system, and the role a neurosurgeon plays in tracing them. I realized that neurosurgeons are responsible for far more than surgi...Read more

• Neurosurgery