Dr. Philip Shain, MD

Dr. Philip Shain, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry | Male | 65 years old

21 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Narrow your results

Dr. Shain specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and practices in Concord, CA. He practices at 1 location.

Are you Dr. Shain? Add your own statement here.

Dr. Shain's Experience

See how Dr. Shain's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Shain

Dr. Shain accepts 3 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Shain has admitting privileges.

Dr. Shain's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shain to family and friends
1.7
Dr. Shain's Performance
Antioch, CA |
I was told by a friend "run don't walk" and wish I'd listened. Do yourself and your child a favor and stay far far away. Make your insurance find someone else.
in Walnut Creek, CA |
I've asked for my medical records multiple times now and have yet to have them provided to me. Also, as I've come to discover after the fact that one of the medications he took me off abruptly, should have been tapered instead and suplimented with a small dose of something else to aide in avoiding withdrawals. Instead he put me up to a "therapeutic" dose of the new med as quickly as possible and sent me into mania.
Martinez, Ca |
He can be helpful with children & families. I was an older patient & found him to be judgmental at times. He had me on multiple medications that made me feel terrible all the time. When I complained to him he'd put me on somthing else, but they were very high doses of each & when I told my physician she said the combination I was on was unusual. Once I stopped taking the medication, you could tell he stopped caring & constantly tried to prescribe me new medications.
Orinda |
My experience with Dr. Shain was awful. Dr.Shain did not tell me or give me a written note on any instructions about taking a new medication he prescribed. When I came back a day later after I started experiencing horrible side effects he blamed me for not listening to him about starting with half the pill for a week. He NEVER told me this and barely apologized. When I would text him questions about my dosage he would ask who I was and then never respond. Unprofessional and no people skills!
in Concord, CA |
Dr. Shain reported me to CPS when I refused to increase the dosage of Abilify to control my son's irritability. The Abilify stopped working after about 9 months and Dr. Shain wanted me to keep on increasing the dosage up to 12.5 mg. I told him that my son is starting to hear voices to kill himself when the dosage was up to 7.5mg. Dr. Shain doesn't listen to feedback and disregard my son's safety.And it was very unethical and reckless of him to call CPS instead. He is very rude and condescending.
Have you seen Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Are you Dr. Shain?

Compare Dr. Shain

Dr. Shain's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry

Dr. Shain has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Shain's Board Certifications

U Colo Hlth Sci Ctr

Completed in 1981

Yale Child Study Ctr

Completed in 1983

Dr. Shain does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shain and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry