Dr. Philip Shain, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry ·  Male · Age 68

Dr. Shain

Shain Philip W MD

2630 Salvio St Concord, CA 94519

Dr. Philip Shain, MD is a child & adolescent psychiatry specialist in Concord, CA and has been practicing for 36 years. He graduated from New York State U, College Of Medicine-Downstate in 1977 and specializes in child & adolescent psychiatry.

Dr. Shain accepts

Dr. Shain accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
Advantage Preferred DirectAccess Plus PPO
Select PPO
Blue Shield of California
Health Net

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Shain's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Adolescent Counseling
  • Autism
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence
  • Family Psychotherapy
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Medication Management
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases

2.4

Dr. Shain?
Dr. Shain's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Philip Shain, MD
Both my brother and I have been going to Dr. Shain for years. He asks the right questions and his manner of going about things is very professional. I would 100% recommend him to anyone, especially because if his appointment flexibility and willingness to fit me in when needed.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr Shain has been wonderful with my daughter . We have found with his help she has been able to return after a long illness to a normal day to day life . He has gone above and beyond to help and it is much appreciated .
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Hands down the absolute Best in the business.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Always answers my questions and explains everything
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr. Shain is amazing. He has been very good to my family. He is patient and takes his time listening to the needs of his patients. Highly recommend.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr.Shain is one of the most helpful doctors I have ever seen. I started seeing him 2 months ago and since then I’ve seen so much progress on my mental health and physical. I would recommend Dr.Shain to anyone, he is non judge mental, informative, helpful, funny, and he truly cares and wants to help you.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr. Shain is great with timely responses and in his practice! He is very knowledgeable in his field and works hard to give his all to his patients. I am very thankful for all the help he has given me and will continue to in the future.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr. Shain can be very unprofessional at times. He's made unnecessary sarcastic remarks when I requested less frequent appointments. I've seen him act in a rude and demanding manner towards his other patients. He rarely takes responsibility for his actions. Lacks empathy. Nasty man.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
2. That letter was the first indication in all those years that he viewed me as the problem. BTW, my strong will and relentless personality served the advocacy of my son's mental health for years. Philip Shain is certainly my failure. BTW, a little more history: my boys were adopted at 1 and 5 YO from a foreign country, horribly malnourished, left on the side of a road. Both suffer from Reactive Attachment Disorder and a number of other conditions that were never mentioned by Shain.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
I was told by a friend "run don't walk" and wish I'd listened. Do yourself and your child a favor and stay far far away. Make your insurance find someone else.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
I've asked for my medical records multiple times now and have yet to have them provided to me. Also, as I've come to discover after the fact that one of the medications he took me off abruptly, should have been tapered instead and suplimented with a small dose of something else to aide in avoiding withdrawals. Instead he put me up to a "therapeutic" dose of the new med as quickly as possible and sent me into mania.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
He can be helpful with children & families. I was an older patient & found him to be judgmental at times. He had me on multiple medications that made me feel terrible all the time. When I complained to him he'd put me on somthing else, but they were very high doses of each & when I told my physician she said the combination I was on was unusual. Once I stopped taking the medication, you could tell he stopped caring & constantly tried to prescribe me new medications.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
My experience with Dr. Shain was awful. Dr.Shain did not tell me or give me a written note on any instructions about taking a new medication he prescribed. When I came back a day later after I started experiencing horrible side effects he blamed me for not listening to him about starting with half the pill for a week. He NEVER told me this and barely apologized. When I would text him questions about my dosage he would ask who I was and then never respond. Unprofessional and no people skills!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?
Dr. Shain reported me to CPS when I refused to increase the dosage of Abilify to control my son's irritability. The Abilify stopped working after about 9 months and Dr. Shain wanted me to keep on increasing the dosage up to 12.5 mg. I told him that my son is starting to hear voices to kill himself when the dosage was up to 7.5mg. Dr. Shain doesn't listen to feedback and disregard my son's safety.And it was very unethical and reckless of him to call CPS instead. He is very rude and condescending.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Shain, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shain?

I provide input and make my points clearly and firmly. I am always willing to have parent and child patient input and will adapt our plan accordingly. I work best with parents who feel empowered themselves.  Therapy is a large aspect of my treat...

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry