Dr. Philip Downer, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 52

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Philip Downer, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Seattle, WA. He is affiliated with Swedish Ballard Campus, winner of the Joint Replacement Excellence Award. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Philip Downer, MD

Seattle Orthopedic Center

2409 N 45th St Seattle, WA 98103 ()
Telehealth services available

Telehealth available

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Downer with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at St. Anne Hospital.

Make an appointment at St. Anne Hospital today at (206) 693-4972.

These providers are on the medical staff of St. Anne Hospital.

Dr. Downer's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Downer

4.0

70.96774193548387%
20.967741935483872%

Dr. Downer

I had a hip replacement by Dr Downer in November- my first major surgery. I am an RN and have worked in several large healthcare systems in the Puget Sound. Dr. Downer was excellent and the entire process, team and experience was superb. His team, from office through Swedish Ballard, clearly enjoys their work, they work as a collaborative team and the care was exceptional. What a pleasure to experience health care as it was originally intended- smooth, efficient, caring, responsive, effective. Thank you for the great outcome.
Mar 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
I highly recommend this office and Dr. Downer. I had surgery on my left hip 5 years ago with a different surgeon and I've never felt "quite right." Ultimately, the pain was impacting my sleep and daily activities. I'm young(er) and active, I was missing my trail running and discouraged that I was limping when I walked. I am 6-weeks post-op and my hip feels amazing! I forgot what it felt like to not have hip pain all day. I have no pain at night, a normal gait, normal range of motion, and have bounced back from surgery MUCH quicker than I anticipated. Dr. Downer was clear and upfront about expectations going in to surgery, especially considering I had a previous operation. He is kind and encouraging. I am fortunate I found OSS. Thank you, Dr. Downer!
Daphne – Dec 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Dr. Downer is an excellent surgeon! My hip is like brand new. I had my first hip replaced by a highly rated surgeon who uses the posterior approach before I knew about Dr. Downer. I am so sorry I didn't have Dr. Downer do my first hip replacement because I've had all sorts of problems with that hip. But the hip that Dr. Downer replaced is great. My leg is strong, my balance is good and I couldn't be happier with that hip. I had a few normal, but somewhat rare, complications in the first few weeks of recovery, but I don't think they had anything to do with Dr. Downer and they disappeared after the first month. Dr. Downer is THE surgeon for anterior hip replacement. He is highly skilled and I highly recommend him.
Arden – May 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Anything hip related that you have Dr. Downer is the guy to see! I had a more rarer surgery performed on my hip by Dr. Downer known as a periacetabular osteotomy (PAO). This surgery is very is very very in depth and major. With this surgery you have to stay in the hospital for a few days after surgery. Dr. Downer visited me every day to check in and see how I was doing. He is a very likable person who is also very professional. He is always willing to answer any questions you may have and answers them until your questions are answered. After my surgery I was very down and wondering how I was going to get through this. Dr. Downer eased my mind and ensured me that things can only get better from here. Dr. Downer is very skilled and knowledgeable about his profession, and anyone can tell you that just by having a conversation with him. Dr. Downer is the only one I would ever trust to operate on my hip again, but I can’t imagine that being the case because he did so well the first time!
Marissa Miles – Sep 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Dr. Downer has replaced both of my hips. He is professional, easy to talk to and the best surgeon in Washington doing the anterior procedure. Highly recommended.
Diane Tchakirides – Aug 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Dr. Downer has performed hip repairs on both of my hips for hip impingement and labral tears within ten years of each other. I couldn't find someone locally who had the skill of Dr. Downer so I traveled back to Seattle to have Dr. Downer complete my second hip procedure. He and the staff did a tremendous job on both procedures and he was always a pleasure to speak with. His easy going nature and explanations put me at ease before and after the procedures. I highly recommend Dr. Downer.
Tiffany in Spokane, WA – Feb 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Dr. Downer and his staff. As nervous as I was about having my hip replaced, I never was nervous about my choice in having Dr. Downer as my surgeon. Six weeks out, I couldn't be happier.
Oct 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
It was a long road with Dr. Downer. I had a car accident and finding a doctor willing to see me was hard, but after hearing about Dr. Downer being a miracle worker for people that have hip issues and are young, I decided I had to have him as my doctor. From day one he had nothing but amazing bedside manner. Though you can tell he is incredibly skilled at what he does, he never makes you feel stupid for asking questions and takes his time to explain anything and everything.
Renton – Mar 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Dr. Downer performed hip arthroscopy surgery to repair my torn labrum and bone impingement. From the first appointment, Dr. Downer's bedside manner and knowledge was reassuring. He is very talented and knowledgeable and made me feel at ease. Post-surgery his calm demeanor helped ease my anxiety about my recovery. I would highly recommend him!
Kent – Feb 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
I received a total hip replacement from Dr. Downer and could not be more satisfied with the entire process. From the scheduling staff, to the other docs on the day of surgery, to Dr. Downer's expertise, I highly recommend anyone seeking such a procedure go see Dr. Downer and team. When it is time for the replacement of the other hip, I will definitely go with Dr. Downer. What a relief not to be in pain anymore. Thank you Dr. Downer!!
Everett, WA – Nov 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Being an RN, I did "a lot" of research and actually saw a few other surgeons for preop visits. Decided to go with Dr. Downer from his anterior hip approach and talking to him. I had both hips replaced at the same time and it has been life-changing. I hope I am not wearing these "treasured hips" out, but I am hiking, playing tennis, biking and even accompanied my Kids on their turning 18 skydive jump. They totally feel like my own now and I couldn't be happier.
Holly in Everett, WA – Sep 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Everything I could want in excellence and professionalism.
Sequim, WA – Jul 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Poor diagnoses by gp & sports med. drs (ultrasounds and xrays...) until Dr. Downer insisted on new xray of my hip at better angle at his clinic & discovered my FAI. My case was of cam, not pincer impingement, tearing ~20 degrees of the labrum. Recovery went quite well as Dr. predicted for my case. I was off my feet for several days with only tylenol for pain after day 1. Crutches for two weeks. Age: late 40s w/ small kids, now 10mo post op, I couldn't be happier with decision/results/mobility!
Todd in Seattle, WA – Mar 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
After several years of suffering with a failed hip revision I had progressed to the point where I couldn't walk and was in constant pain. Two other surgeons had discouraged me from having another revision but Dr Downer correctly diagnosed the problem and his confidence and manner convinced me that he could fix my problem. The surgery and recovery were challenging but almost a year later I am pain free and back to enjoying life. We are fortunate to have him practicing in Seattle.
Jerry T in Seattle Wa – Sep 17, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Very disappointed with Dr. Downer. He acted impatient throughout the appointment as if we were keeping him from something more important. Would not or could not answer our questions in detail and continually interrupted us whenever we tried to get a better understanding of what was going on. We meet plenty of arrogant people during life - I certainly don't need this from my potential surgeon. I'll be searching for someone who is able to demonstrate an actual interest in their patients.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Kendra in Seattle, WA – Jul 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Dr. Downer did my two hip replacements, anterior. Both experiences were great and recovery on both was without issue.
R J in Seattle, WA – May 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Had my right hip replaced best thing I ever did water skiing 3 months later snow ski and 5 months later now I need my left hip replaced perhaps
James Ballas in Port Angeles – Feb 05, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
Each step of the way from scheduling, to consultation, surgery, and post op, Dr Downer and his staff were informative and respectful. Great results. After 3 months my activities are nearly back to normal with biking, windsurfing, swimming, and surfing. What a life changer...
Alex Spear in Seattle, WA – Feb 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?
He is arrogant and condescending when talking to patients. We were talking about a hip replacement and since we don't do this sort of thing every day, we had a lot of questions. He kept interrupting us so we couldn't get the question out, then when we tried to ask again, he said, Why are you asking me this? I've already told you many, many times! But he hadn't, because he didn't let us speak. I hope he is a good surgeon, because he is not a nice man.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jane Doe in Seattle, WA – Dec 17, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Philip Downer, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Downer?