Neurology  |
Dr. Peter Tarbox, MD
Dr. Peter Tarbox, MD is a neurology doctor who practices in San Antonio, TX. He is 53 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Dr. Tarbox is affiliated with University Health System, South Texas Spine and Surgical Hospital, Methodist Stone Oak Hospital, Metropolitan Methodist Hospital, Methodist Hospital, Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital, Northeast Baptist Hospital, Baptist Medical Center, St. Lukes Baptist Hospital, CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital - Westover Hills and North Central Baptist Hospital.

Neurology Consultants of San Antonio

5441 Babcock Rd Ste 301

San Antonio, TX 78240

• Ambetter
  • Baptist Health Services Group
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • Guardian

Learn about Dr. Tarbox

As a neurologist my primary aim is to listen to my patient and then provide an outlined plan of care specifically designed for that individual patient. I provide patients options and guidance. I demand continued excellence not only from myself but my staff as well.

Dr. Tarbox's Experience

Dr. Tarbox's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurology

• Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Muscle Diseases
  • Spinal Cord and Brain Disorders
  • Stroke
  • Syncope
  • Tourette's Syndrome
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor

Medical School | Graduated 1993
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1994
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1997
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1998

Dr. Tarbox has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Tarbox does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tarbox and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tarbox's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tarbox to family and friends
2.3
Dr. Tarbox's Performance
    FAIR
    FAIR
San Antonio, TX |
To me, when it comes to a point that I need a neurologist, I want to see the specialist, not a physician assistant, and for any appointment that I would need with Dr. Tarbox, if I needed a "soon" follow up or review it'd take at least 6 months in advance to take an appointment, for the PA would only be 2 or 3 months, this includes if I needed to reschedule for whatever reason. To get extra refills on a vitamin that was prescribed I needed an appointment, but I couldn't get one soon enough.
San Antonio, TX |
Tricare referred me to Dr. Tarbox a couple years ago. I'm a college student & schedule my appointments several months in advance for when I am back between semesters. Every appointment w/ them was cancelled the day/week before I was supposed to go in even though I had held that appointment for 4/5 months prior. A couple times were for family emergencies but other times no explanation was given. Most recently, I was told that I would not be seen till Aug- 3 months after my original appt.
San Antonio, TX |
Sometimes I have to wait to get through when I call or when I'm there for an appointment, but that seems to be true everywhere. However, the doctor's attention to my concerns and needs gives me comfort and confidence. He is willing to listen and always makes sure he has answered all my questions before I leave. His staff is always courteous.
San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Tarbox has a very busy practice. His office staff are always professional and courteous to me. There is a wait for appointments but it is to be expected given his specialty and patient load. When I had a sudden onset of seizures, I was seen quickly. Dr. Tarbox was excellent in explaining my condition to me in terms I could understand and the treatment.
San Antonio, TX |
Tricare referred me and it has been nothing but a nightmare. It took over 6 weeks to schedule my initial appointment. Saw the Dr. for a little under 15 minutes but only for testing. I have yet to have any consultation regarding my medical condition. I did call to make a follow up appointment and was informed the soonest available would be 3 months from now. I just got a new referral from Tricare and am switching Neurologists. This has been a waste of time and suffering.
in San Antonio, TX |
Most staff that we dealt with were rude and unaccomodating! My mother in law is hard of hearing so when asked to speak up so that she could hear them, not one of them did so! When mother in law's vital signs were being entered into the computer, I noticed that the height was wrong so I pointed that out. The aide got defensive and then discovered that she was in the wrong patients chart altogether!!
in San Antonio, TX |
1stThis review is on the Dr's staff!My mother in law was charged a co-pay when visiting the office for a diagnostic test (saw NO doctor or PA on this visit!).When questioned,they insisted it was correct.When I said I was all tests run in one visit then, was told that insurance won't allow that.Called MIL's insurance and was told that she should NOT be charged a co-pay for a diagnostic test visit!!2ndMA was inputting all my MIL's vitals into a different patient's chart!3rdMA told MIL hard of hear
in Texas |
Well in for a consultation didn't see Dr tarbox however he was not there. His p.a she was nice and knowledgeable. She Asked for Like 8 Test ALL DIFF days. They don't accommodate test in one day but get to charge 8 DIFF times. The scheduler was irritated and it was evident l, front is rude. I felt rushed by the p.a due to needing test. Granted I brought in all test including mrI contrast without contrast & CT scan. Overall p.a was nice. Oh also follow up with apts there is no courtesy call.
in San antonio,tx |
I request my records every time I get seen by the doctor due to the fact that the coordination between my doctors and requesting records they are not coordinating together so I helped coordinate them as well as keep my insurance is and VA involved and all up-to-date. I talked to the office. They said it would be a one time fee of $35. Now the manager informs me not only is it the $35 but also $15 for each time I request which could be every single visit a flat fee.
in San Antonio, TX |
I found the same problem with the office staff as other reviewers, they are incompetent. They are not trained well enough to work a doughnut counter at night. I don't know if the doctor, as in previous statements doesn't see patients after the first visit or if he is just out of the loop because the office staff is incompetent.
Schertz, TX |
Tricare sent my case to him and I called to schedule and they wanted to make my appt with a P.A. They said the P.A sees you for headaches. I have a brain tumor and need a solid review by a medical doctor not a P.A. which I have seen many times on base for. Calling to find a new doctor!
in Bulverde, TX |
Office staff incompetent, refused service because my wife did not have her dependent ID. Wasted our time--told us to come at 1pm but never told us we would not see the doctor 2pm. We had filled out all of their forms online but they have you waste an hour waiting. What a joke, 60 mile round trip in 90 degree weather for nothing. Go there if you like abuse.
in San Antonio, TX |
I was recommended to call his office by my GP Doctor to set a new-patient appointment. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, I was asked why I need to see him. I replied that I was diagnosed with brain cancer and that Dr. Tarbox was recommended. The secretary put me on hold for a few more minutes and was then came back and told me that he doesn't see cancer patients. What an incredibly unprofessional experience. I'll be sure to let my GP doctor know to never recommend him again.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Tarbox handled my mom better than any doctor has in several years. He was patient with her and kind and showed his concern. It appeared to understand the issues surrounding dementia better than her PC and other doctors she has seen. I will take mom back to see him. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 due to rude office staff. But since we only had one visit so far it may have been just an off day the one staff member.
Houston, TX |
Dr Tarbox seldom will see his patients after first visit. You are thrown to a PA. I am a complex case with multiple auto immune diseases. My primary care dr was furious that he isn't seeing me himself as I am not text book
San Antonio, TX |
I had an app. scheduled at 1:00 with Dr. Tarbox. The staff that answers the phone told me my show time was at 12:00, and that I needed to get there early to fill out paperwork, but failed to mention my actual appointment wasn't until 1:00. I was able to show up at the office at 11:15 because of my work schedule. I had pre-printed the paperwork and had it filled out except for one sheet they keep in the office. I wasn't told my appointment was at 1:00 until I asked what was taking so long.
in Bandera, TX |
I have been doing a dance with Dr. Tarbox for 11/2 years in an attempt to start treatment for MS. His office has cancelled 2 appts, both the day before I was to be seen. Recently I had an MS attack & nobody returned not only my calls but my PCP's calls. After 3 days of trying to get him to call either of us back I ended up spending 24 days in the hospital and rehab. He never called the neurologist that treated me in the hospital nor the one in the rehab. PLEASE read reviews from multiple sites.
Appt cancelled without notice, unhelpful staff
in San Antonio Texas |
I am a traumatic brain injury survivor as a result from a car accident in 2011. Dr. Tarbox has been nothing short of a blessing directly from God. I would not be able to function whatsoever without his continuous support. He takes all the time I need to understand what I need, and to answer all my questions. I have a list of questions for him at every visit (which I write down doe to my virtually non-existent short term memory.) I thank God for having Dr. Tarbox in my team of care professionals
Have you seen Dr. Peter Tarbox, MD?
Are you Dr. Tarbox?

Health Select
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
    Blue Choice
    Blue Texas HMO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • Guardian
    Commercial EPO
    Commercial POS
    Commercial PPO
    Tricare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medicare