Dr. Peter H. Schmaus, MD

Dr. Peter H. Schmaus, MD

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation | Male

Orthopedic Spine/Sprts Med Cntr 2 Forest Ave, Paramus, NJ 07652 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Surgery is the last resort and in most cases a conservative approach is sufficient and appropriate. In the rare cases that surgery is necessary I work closely with a team of surgeons skilled in spine ,shoulder ,knee, and ankle procedures.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Schmaus' Experience

98Experience
Match

See how Dr. Schmaus' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Schmaus

Dr. Schmaus accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Schmaus has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Schmaus' Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Schmaus to family and friends
4.3
Experience with Dr. Schmaus
Dr. Schmaus' Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (36)
in Little Ferry, NJ |
I have been a patient of Dr. Schmaus for about 4 years and am very satisfied with both Dr. Schmaus and his assistant Jean. I am always greeted by both with smiles and genuine interest in how I am. Although he takes a holistic approach, when i had a condition that did not respond to PT, he fast tracked my MRI and put me in touch with a wonderful neurosurgeon. I am recovering and very grateful for Dr. Schmaus for his wonderful care. Jeanne B.
in Clifton, NJ |
I would highly recommend Dr. Schmaus. He is friendly & I always walk out feeling better. He is never in a rush & gives me as much time as needed. His assistant Jean is a wonder & has worked tirelessly trying to work with my insurance to get my meds.
in Haworth, NJ |
My husband and I have been in the care of Dr. Schmaus for many years. He has treated my knees, hips, shoulders and spine. I call him my life saver. This is a doctor that is knowledgeable, compassionate, and kind. Many times I have walked into his office crying from pain and have left his office with a smile. I have never written a review on a doctor before. I have referred many patients to his office. At this time, my entire family are his patients. We adore him.
in Paramus, NJ |
When seeking treatment for any orthopedic issue I look out for a number of details; The ease of making an appointment, the smiles & greeting from the front office staff to the medical assistant attending to your needs. Jean is Dr Schmaus' medical assistant since he started treating me for both knee & back issues over 4 years ago. When a medical team such as Dr Schmaus & Jean have worked together for years the patient benefits tremendously with the well balance skills both can offer. Thank you!
in Park Ridge, NJ |
I would highly recommend Dr. Schmaus. Besides being quite knowledgable, he is very professional and gets right to the core of the problem.
in Paramus, NJ |
My husband, my family and myself have been seeing Dr. Schmaus for over 10 years now. He and his assistant Jean are two of the most professional people I have ever met in the medical field. Any time I call for an appointment or with a question I am always treated with respect and given an appointment in a very timely manner. Jean is always very friendly and is genuine. If you are looking for the best in Orthopedic and Spine Medicine you must see Dr. Schmaus you will not be disappointed.
in Bloomfield, NJ |
Been seeing Dr. Schmaus for the past 2 years for cervical disc issues. He's always been nothing but courteous, professional, and knowledgeable. He's always takes the extra time to listen to my questions and explains his course of action. He's also pointed me to different specialists that I needed to see (pain management/neurosurgeon). His nurse/assistant Jean has always been very nice as well. She always takes the time to ask how I'm feeling and returns my calls promptly when I have a question.
in River Edge, NJ |
Dr. Peter Schmaus cannot be compared to any other doctor! He is incredibly knowledgeable, takes time with his patients and is very caring. I have been his patient for over 10 years now and I know that without his care, my life would not have the quality I am able to maintain. I have extreme and difficult spinal conditions and I know I can always count on Dr. Schmaus to be there for me and continuously help me. He is a most dedicated doctor and I am blessed to be under his care.P.Roth
in White Plains, NY |
I was recommended to Dr. Schmaus by my primary care physician. He had sent many patients to Him and he was quite satisfied with the results. I explained that I had emergency, was able to be squeezed in 10 minutes, got to see the doctor and treated my shoulder injury. He was very busy I was able to spend the required time to discuss the injury and a suggested treatment. His assistant was very accommodating and provided me written instructions and documentation on Application of the treatment.
in Tenafly, NJ |
Dr Schmaus has given me relief from my neuro muscular lumbar pain. He explained my condition in a manner that was easy to follow. I am still under his care and have confidence that he will continue to alleviate my pain. I would highly recommend him to friends and family should they have similar problems , just as my wife recommended him to me.
in River Edge, NJ |
I have been seeing Dr. Schmaus for the past 3 years for knee issues which I have experienced for the past 10+ years. He has always provided excellent care both medically and in sound recommendations of practical lifestyle change. Both his manner and professionalism are superlative. His assistant, Jean, has been helpful, knowledgable and gone the extra distance at each visit. I would highly recommend seeing Dr. Schamus for treatment.
in Paramus, NJ |
If I could give zero stars, I would. I've been a loyal patient of Dr. Schmaus's for years. When I called his office one morning with a medical emergency, I was told he had no time to see me. No chance of squeezing me in. His nurse, Jean, was unbelievably rude and condescending. The worst medical professional I have ever dealt with by far. Was forced to go to the ER instead of seeing my own doctor. Will not step foot in this office again, and would highly recommend no one else does either.
This comment was placed by the patients daughter as patient could not be seen that day. An appt. had been offered for the next day . Since then the patient has seen me for other matters which really says the most . I have never met the daughter who posted this unfounded review . Jean the medical asst. who is slandered truly has angels wings and was in tears . Be that as it may , I consider this water under the bridge and most importantly the patient herself and is receiving the care she needs.
Have you seen Dr. Peter H. Schmaus, MD?
Are you Dr. Schmaus?

Compare Dr. Schmaus

• Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
  • Pain Medicine

Why It Matters: Dr. Schmaus' Board Certifications

• Pain Medicine
  • Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Dr. Schmaus says..

My practice includes the diagnosis treatment and rehabilitation of cervical and lumbar herniated discs, stenosis ,sciatica as well as non spinal problems including rotator cuff injuries and knee arthritis and meniscal tears. I have for many years also successfully  treated carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger fingers and tennis and golfers elbow with non surgical measures  including splinting injection and therapy .

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Achilles Tendinitis
  • Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Diabetic Polyneuropathy
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Tibia or Fibula Stress Fracture
  • Trigger Finger
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Schmaus says..

I have particular expertise in injections including ultrasound guided injections as well as EMG  electrodiagnostic nerve testing. I have additional board certification in pain management and am of the philosophy that with the appropriate rehabilitation, patients can avoid long term  treatment with opioid pain medication.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • EMG (Electromyography)
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

Mount Sinai School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1985

Beth Israel Medical Center-Petrie Campus

Completed in 1986

Mount Sinai Hospital

Completed in 1989

Columbia

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Schmaus has no media or publications listed.

• German

Dr. Schmaus does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Schmaus and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Schmaus' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
  • Board certified in Pain Medicine and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Schmaus

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Schmaus' Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Schmaus

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Schmaus says...

Fir 25 years I have had the privilege of treating patients in North Jersey and New York. I stress a holistic and non surgical approach  be it neck,back, knee,or shoulder pain. In our practice we tailor a rehabilitation program to the individual and encourage follow up with home  exercise programs to maintain the progress made. We try to minimize unnecessary testing. I have a particular interest in ergonomics as our technology: smartphone, tablets and laptops are increasing the incidence of neck and low back pain. There are ways to minimize these harmful postural effects and that is something which we stress in most of our visits.

Dr. Schmaus' Care Philosophy