Dr. Peter C. Pelikan, MD

Dr. Peter C. Pelikan, MD

Interventional Cardiology | Male | 64 years old

Dr. Peter Pelikan is a native of New York City who graduated from The Bronx High School of Science. He majored in biology at Yale University and graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1979. After an internal medicine residency at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center he completed a fellowship in cardiology at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1985. After realizing how much he missed southern California, Dr. Pelikan couldn't wait to return to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center as assistant professor of medicine and co-director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. In 1989 he left academic medicine to join Pacific Heart Institute where he has been an interventional and consulting cardiologist ever since. Dr. Pelikan is the Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Saint John's Hospital, where he is also currently Medical Staff President. His medical interests include coronary, peripheral, and carotid artery angiography and intervention/stenting, as well as consultative cardiology. An avid skier and fly-fisher, Dr. Pelikan loves the outdoors. While indoors, he is trying (slowly) to learn to play the piano.Read more

Pacific Heart Institute
2001 Santa Monica Blvd Ste 280W
Santa Monica, CA 90404 Get Directions

2015 Five Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures

View Ratings

Listening to the patient is not only the first step, but the most important foundation for the development of a care plan specifically designed to provide maximum benefit and minimum risk. Each patient is different, and deserves and individualized approach.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Pelikan's Experience

See how Dr. Pelikan's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Pelikan

Dr. Pelikan accepts 10 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Pelikan has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Pelikan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Pelikan to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Pelikan
Dr. Pelikan's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (46)
in Los Angeles, CA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Pelikan to family & friends. He not only is vastly knowlegeble & skilled but has a warm and caring bedside manner. His office help is courteous & friendly and very efficient making the whole experience pleasant & reassuring.
Los Angeles, CA |
Dr. Pelikan is informed, current and always personable. He takes the time to explain. He's been my Dr. for over 15 years and also treated my parents. My highest recommendation of him and his staff.
Pacific Palisades, CA |
Have been going to Dr. Pelikan for some years for high blood pressure and other blood-related issues, as has my spouse. He is knowledgeable, thoughtful and keeps up with issues in his chosen specialty. worth recommending.
in Los Angeles |
He is interested in my well being and explains things thoroughly.
in San Pedro, CA |
Dr. Pelikan is an outstanding Cardiologist. He is patient, thorough, kind and has a way of putting your mind at ease (because when you go in and see him you are already nervous). I am glad he is our Doctor.
in Marina Del Rey, ca |
Scheduling my appt. was very easy & agreeable. The office was very comfortable, clean & had a pleasant. atmosphere. The staff was very courteous and efficient. The wait time was only a few minutes. Dr. Pelikan has a very friendly persona and makes you feel very comfortable. He had complete knowledge of my medical conditions and explained them in a very professional manner. He spent more than ample time for the visit & fully covered all my medical conditions. I recommend him to everyone I know.
in Pacific Palisades, CA |
Dr. Pelikan has been caring for my husband and myself since 1997. He is kind, compassionate, available, patient, and most of all genuinely concerned about his patients. When his patient has a cardiac problem, he is RIGHT THERE. Five stars are not enough to show how wonderful Dr. Pelikan is as a doctor and as a human being. Anyone seeking a cardiologist would be lucky to join his grateful patients.
in Santa Monica, CA |
He, and his partner Dr. Doshi, are simply the best in town. I happen to be a doctor as well as Dr. Pelikan's patient. He is thorough, maintains a current understanding of cardiology (not common among many doctors unfortunately), and is caring. He has been practicing quite awhile and is very professional. His staff, by the way, are also gems. Always, kind, attentive, and professional, like Dr. Pelikan.
in Malibu, CA |
Dr. Pelikan is the best. He is not only a top notch doctor, but he is a friendly and caring person.
Los Angeles, CA |
Caring, involved, professional, thorough, knowledgeable and insightful is how I would describe Dr. Pelikan. I would recommend him to friends and family without a second thought and with the knowledge that they would receive the finest medical care available.
in Los Angeles, CA |
I was referred to Dr. Pelikan by my GP due to my age, high cholesterol, family history and inability to tolerate statins. Several years ago, I woke in the middle of the night with intense chest pains. I waited until morning to make an appointment with his office. When I told him what happened, he admonished me because I hadn't contacted him during the night. It turned out to be heart burn, but I now trust that he will be there for me, no matter how inconvenient the time of day.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Knowledgeable, thorough and excellent on all fronts.The office is on top of everything, courteous and responsive.
in Santa Monica, California |
Dr. Pelikan has successfully managed my cardiac health for over 20 years. He has consummate physician skills and is universally acknowledged in the medical community as among the very best interventional cardiologists. My personal experience with Dr. Pelikan exemplifies what a physician-patient relationship should be. For what its worth, I am a trial lawyer who has specialized in defending and prosecuting medical malpractice for many years so I have some perspective from that experience.
in Pacific Palisades, CA |
Dr. Pelikan took excellent care of my husband for almost twenty years, and he is now shepherding me through my first experience with heart disease (atrial fibrillation) at my age of 88. I just underwent a cardioversion with Dr. Pelikan and all went well. I would recommend his care without reservation.
in Long Beach, CA |
Dr. Pelikan is highly competent, professional and caring. After moving to Long Beach, a friend told me that Dr. Pelikan saved her life when others said her condition was hopeless. I also found out that Dr. Pelikan trained under my prior cardiologist at Johns Hopkins who was highly competent and caring. I am totally confident in his care and with his advice. Obviously, I trust him with my life!
in Pacific Palisades, CA |
Dr. Pellikan had my husband undergo a life saving pacemaker implant on an emergency basis 6 years ago. He has supervised his medical care very capably since that time. He has also supervised my medical care. My family has a strong history of heart disease and I am checked and supervised by Dr Pellikan and his staff.
in Los Angeles, CA |
An extraordinary doctor with great skills, compassion, and knowledge. You will not find a better cardiologist or medical doctor anywhere. After having a heart attack at a fairly young age he has kept me healthy to a ripe old age.
in Los Angeles, CA |
He took the time to answer all my questions. I didn't feel hurried
in Los Angeles, CA |
Caring, professional, and most important an xlnt cardiologist, with a fine support staff.Very comfortable with my recent angiogram.
in Culver City, CA |
I wouldn't have any other heart specialist. Dr. Pelikan and I have known each other at least 20 years and he has taken the best of care of me possible. My exam today was thorough and he said, you don't need anything more. You are doing great. Please don't retire Dr.Pelikan until I am long gone.
in Brentwood, CA |
Brilliant,aware and caring
in Bakersfield, CA |
Dr. Pelican was so reassuring and listened with kindness and patience to our concerns. He wasn't in a hurry to move on to the next patient. He was willing to battle with insurance bureaucracy to get tests done. I have been a patient at UCLA and although they have some great doctors there, it is a zoo. It's very difficult for to manage my healthcare with so many doctors and departments--it's easy to get lost there. Dr. Pelicans office and staff are very cordial and helpful--no getting lost here
in Beverly Hills, CA |
I CAN TELL YOU THE ONE THING ABOUT DR PETER PELICAN. HE REALLY CARES..HE SAVED MY LIFE..I LOVE THE GUY.. HE IS AT THE VERY TOP OF HIS GAME!!! BUT SO HUMBLE.. IF YOU NEED THE BEST CARDIOLOGIST GO NO WHERE ELSE.. HIS TEAM..ASST ANITA..AND NURSES..THE BEST.. DR PETER PELICAN...#ROCKSTAR!!!
in Sherman Oaks, CA |
Dr. Pelikan has been my and my late husband's doctor for 20 years or more. He is the only doctor I will grit my teeth on the 405 Fwy. to see. He is kind, compassionate,no nonsense, thorough and a great sense of humor. Run don't walk to use him as your cardiologist!
in Los Angeles, CA |
Dr Pelikan is an excellent cardiologist. I would not hesitate to refer friends or family to him.
in Playa Del Rey, CA |
He is an outstanding and knowledgeable doctor who has been taking care of my heart for over 20 years
Excellent care, significant knowledge, practical advice
in Beverly Hills, CA |
I've referred friends and family to Dr. Pelikan. He is excellent! I have two stents (actually made into a single Y because of their location) that he did back in 2004. I trust him, literally, with my life. He's professional, up to date on the latest information/techniques, but conservative in his approach/treatment. I've seen many doctors over the years and Dr. Pelikan is one of the very few that actually listens to patients. He makes certain all my questions and concerns are addressed.
in Los Angeles, CA |
I trust Dr. Pelikan He has been my cardiologist for over ten years, one heart attack, four angiograms and three angioplasties.
in Santa Monica, CA |
Dr. Pelikan is excellent at explaining the medical facts in terms you can undrstand
in Los Angeles, CA |
Excellent diagnostician. Superb skills in surgical procedures.
in Los Angeles, CA |
Always has time to discuss issues and to explain results. He has been our cardiologist for 15 years.
Have you seen Dr. Peter C. Pelikan, MD?
Are you Dr. Pelikan?

Dr. Pelikan's Care Philosophy

Dr. Pelikan says...

I am the Interventional Cardiologist for a 10 doctor Cardiology Group, and am Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica. I see patients who need cardiac catheterization, coronary intervention (coronary artery stenting), aortic balloon valvuloplasty, TAVR (Trans-Vascular Aortic Valve Replacement), MitraClip, ASD and PFO closure and Watchman implant for atrial fibrillation; additionally, I do peripheral angiography and stenting. However, I view these procedures as an arsenal to provide the appropriate and patient-focused care for a variety of Cardiovascular illnesses. Rather than fixate on the procedure, I focus on the patient, and only perform procedures when clearly necessary.

Dr. Pelikan says...

I have been performing Cardiac Catheterization since 1985. As Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, I oversee the Quality Improvement program, consult with other Interventional Cardiologists, and am proud to work with a fabulous staff (Nurses and Technicians) in our Lab. Our outcomes for Invasive and Interventional patients at Saint John's are superb.

Dr. Pelikan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Interventional Cardiology
  •  Board certified in Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine and Interventional Cardiology

Dr. Pelikan has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Pelikan's Board Certifications

• Carotid Artery Stenosis
  • Chest Pain
  • Congenital Septal Defect
  • Coronary Artery Aneurysm
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Coronary Artery Dissection
  • Coronary Atherosclerosis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Murmur

Harbor Ucla Med Center

Completed in 1982

Johns Hopkins Hospital

Completed in 1985

Dr. Pelikan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Pelikan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Interventional Cardiology
  • Cardiology
  • Invasive Cardiology

• Angioplasty
  • Angioplasty With Stent Placement
  • Aortic Valve Surgery
  • Atherectomy
  • Balloon Angioplasty
  • Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Cardioversion, Elective
  • Carotid Artery Stent Placement
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Coronary Angioplasty, Atherectomy and Stent
  • Non-Coronary Angioplasty, Atherectomy, and Stenting
  • Peripheral Angioplasty
  • Peripheral Artery Catheterization
  • Renal Artery Angioplasty
  • Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
  • Valve Repair or Replacement (Aortic, Mitral, Tricuspid, and Pulmonary)
  • Vascular Duplex Ultrasonography and Plethysmography