Peter Mowschenson, MB

Peter Mowschenson, MB

General Surgery  |
Peter Mowschenson, MB is a general surgery doctor who practices in Brookline, MA. He is 69 years old and has been practicing for 44 years.

1180 Beacon St Ste 6B

Brookline, MA 02446

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • EBS-RMSCO
  • EmblemHealth

Learn about Peter Mowschenson

See how frequently Peter Mowschenson performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
Constipation
Colon and Rectal Surgery

Peter Mowschenson's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• General Surgery

• Appendectomy, Open
  • Colectomy
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Cyst Incision and Drainage
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Thyroid Lobectomy
  • Thyroidectomy
  • Thyroidectomy or Thyroid Lobectomy
  • Wound Repair

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• University Of London / United Medical and Dental Schools Of Guy's and Saint Thomas's Hospitals
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Kings College School Of Medicine and Dentistry / University Of London Facility Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1973
  • Guys Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Beth Israel Hosp Harvard

Peter Mowschenson has no media or publications listed.

• French

Peter Mowschenson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Peter Mowschenson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Peter Mowschenson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Peter Mowschenson to family and friends
Peter Mowschenson's Performance
in walpole |
I was diagnosed with a parathyroid tumor this August & after researching all my options I requested a consult wit Dr. Mowschenson. Dr. Mowschenson , his practice & most especially his office manager Andrea exceeded my expectations. Andrea was warm, engaging , & efficient. Scheduling appointments & procedures was hassle free. Dr. Mowschenson was the consummate professional, thoroughly prepared for my consult with all records, concise with all information I needed & surgery was 100% successfull.
Brockton, MA |
When I consulted with Dr. Mowschenson, even though he has done the procedure I was to undergo thousands of times, he took the time to explain the surgery very clearly in terms I easily understood, and answered all my questions. He also provided excellent written information and instructions well in advance of the procedure. So I knew just what to do (and not to do) before and after the surgery. Things could not have gone more smoothly. Also, his assistant, Andrea, is great to deal with.
Dr. Mowschenson is a wonderful surgeon who removed half of my thyroid. I was very nervous about the surgery in regards to scarring as there are many horror stories out there. He made myself and my husband feel completely comfortable with the surgery and did an awesome job on the surgery! He is professional, caring, clearly intelligent about his craft, and always super kind and reassuring. He is a gifted surgeon and a great person, you really can't go wrong with that combo!
in Tiverton |
Took the time to talk with me, calmed my fears and had me in fir surgery and cured me.
in Natick, MA |
It is a pleasure to write a recommendation for DR. Mowschenson. I had parathyroid surgery several weeks ago. I feel like a new person. The surgery was an easy process and the recovery was exactly as he described. I was fine within a few days. Andrea provided me with details on how to prepare and what to expect. She is a pleasure to deal with. I highly recommend DR. Mowschenson.
in Newton Center, MA |
Dr. Peter Mowschenson has performed 2 surgeries on me. I was very pleased with the outcome of both and would highly recommend him.
Norton, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson performed a partial thyroidectomy on me 3 weeks ago. As this was my 1st surgery ever, I was very nervous. He patiently and with detail, explained what to expect - I was very comfortable talking with him. He sent documents detailing the process from start to finish and always responds quickly to any questions I've had! It's only been 3 weeks & the scar is already barely noticeable! I highly recommend Dr. Mowschenson, without a doubt, a very personable & highly skilled surgeon!
in Londonderry NH |
Dr. Mowschenson is a fantastic surgeon. He operated on my hernia nd not only was he clear in what to expect with the procedure but he was immediately available by phone for any follow-up questions. His office is efficient with minimal layers between the staff and the Dr. so you are always seeing him. He is an absolute pleasure to work with.!
Over the past 6 years I have had two abdominal surgeries with Dr. Mowschenson. He was highly recommended to me by my physician & family members, who also work in the field of medicine. Dr. mowschenson is extremely skilled & focused on the needs of his patients. His office staff promptly scheduled my visits & both of my surgeries. He has always been available to answer any questions that I have had. Dr. Mowschenson should certainly be considered one of the finest surgeons in the Boston area.
Dr. Mowschenson has performed two hernia surgeries on me, and I highly recommend him! Both times, surgery was quick, and I was walking easily afterwards with minimal discomfort and no complications. He is nice, knowledgeable and caring. After my surgeries were completed, Dr. Mowschenson personally gave my wife an update on my condition in the waiting room. I also recommend the capable staff of the BI who kept both me and my wife well informed throughout the process.
in Somerset, MA |
I saw this man for laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. After surgery I was quickly ejected from the hospital, bleeding on the floor as I was pushed-out. He wouldn’t see me for a month, then for 2 more months he insisted the 1.5”diam by ½” deep wound oozing pus at the fourth incision site (the extra hole was because he missed the gallbladder the first time) “was a reaction to the sutures” I was forced to go outside BIDMC for treatment of the infection. Meatball surgery at its finest!
Quincy, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson was very thorough in explaining my procedure. After my initial consultation, he sent me home with a very comprehensive - but easy to read - outline of what to expect before, during and after surgery. His outline included detailed steps on the procedure itself and his role and tasks during the surgery. During my recovery period Dr. Mowschenson was very accessible via email, responding within the hour in all three instances that I had contacted him with questions.
in Waltham, MA |
Dr Mowschenson is awesome. He performed a total Thyroidectomy on me a week and a half ago and I couldn't be happier with the results. He is a very experienced and very gifted surgeon. He is thorough and very professional and after my first meeting with him I felt confident that I was in great hands. I HIGHLY recommend him without any hesitation
Dr.Mowschenson was extrememly professional during my visit and presented all my options while helping to select the best one for me. Dealing with Dr.Mowschenson is an absolute pleasure. The environment of his office is very inviting and that same feeling is expressed in his quality of care as well as in his staff. Thank you Dr.Mowschenson! I will certainly recommend you to friends and relatives when their condition merits it. Thanks again. -Martin
in Boston |
If I could give Dr. Mowschenson 100 stars I would. He's talented. He may come off as a bit arrogant or indifferent (I don't think he is, but I can see how some may think so), but it's only because he is so confident in his abilities and knows his sh*t. I loved him and thank God for him every day. He removed a malignant nodule on my thyroid. One of my vocal cords was already paralyzed so it was a risky procedure. He made me very comfortable that all would be fine. It was. He's amazing.
Brookline, MA |
I was very scared and anxious about having a thyroidectomy. Dr. Mowschenson used care, patience, coordinated medications with my endocrinologist, and his staff ensured that my needs were met and I was ready for my surgery. The surgery went extremely smoothly and, while there were many nurses and assistants, Dr. Mowschenson was present for the surgery. I am now in recovery; the healing process is going well. He provided excellent guidance to help minimize scarring. I highly recommend this doctor.
in Billerica, MA |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Peter Mowschenson. He was professional and to the point. Saw me at the scheduled appointment times for office visits. Answered my email questions immediately, even on his day off. Offered to conduct post surgery follow up by telephone so I wouldn't have to travel so far to visit the office. Parathyroid Surgery was successful with no complications and no after pain. He was confident and reassuring.
in Waltham, MA |
I would love to say that I feel so lucky and thankful that my endocrinologist recommended Dr. Mowschenson to be my surgeon. He is highly competent, a great physician. He was very careful removing my thyroid gland, I never had any complications after the surgery, no pain and the scar is not that visible. He also called me 2 days after the surgery to check on me. He provided all the necessary information regarding what will happen during surgery and after. Will highly recommend him to anyone!
in Newton MA |
I am grateful to Dr Mowschenson for his care and I feel very lucky that he was able to find and remove the thyroid cancer, an intermediate variety that can be potentially difficult to treat. Without my own evidence, I feel certain that the surgery performed by Dr Mowschenson was very successful, since very few thyroid cells were detected during the radioactive iodine studies for treatment. Adding to another patient's comments -- Dr Mowschenson responds very quickly to email and phone calls.
in Acton, MA |
I highly recommend Dr Mowschenson for his surgical skills and professional manner. He was well-prepared to discuss my options on my first visit. He answered my pre-surgery questions promptly and called to follow up post-op. My overall experience was exceptional. (And his shoes and ties are great!)
in Boston, MA |
I have to say that when I was looking for a good surgeon, everyone said the same thing....great!!! I would definitely recommend Dr. Mowschenson to anyone who needed a great surgeon. He was very professional and easy to talk to. I called his office and told them I was in great discomfort from a diagnosed hernia by my Primary and they made sure he saw me with-in a few days...he actually saw me in between surgeries. Terrific office staff, and he was so amazing at follow up after the surgery.
in Hanover, MA |
I found Dr. Mowschenson to be personable and professional. I had a total thyroidectomy and my surgery was more involved than originally anticipated. He has been available to answer any questions and concerns I have within a very short period of time. Dr. Mowschenson is extremely accommodating and a great listener which helped to put me at ease. I would highly recommend Dr. Mowschenson - he made my whole experience less intimidating and scary.
in Lynn, MA |
Dr Mowschenson was the first surgeon who said "yes, I can help you." I have Crohn's and had an ileostomy... I developed fistulas from a ruptured intestine that attached themselves to my skin and no other surgeon was willing to operate on me... Dr Mowschenson gave me a new life and I and my wife are ever thankful and grateful for what he did...I would recommend him to anybody...JAG
in Saugus, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson is very friendly with a great sense of humor he spent more than enough time to discuss my problem. I would recommend him for someone that has a problem with their parathyroid for surgery.
in West Roxbury, MA |
Dr Mowschenson is a highly skilled physician in his field. I had two surgical procedures by him in the last several years. I can recommend him without reservation as far as competence and he has a nice way with a great sense of humor. I have been a nurse for over 45 years and I would advise friends and family to trust him with their surgical needs. He is the best!!!
in Peabody, MA |
His surgeon skill is excellent. He views his patients as individuals and not just medical cases. He spends adequate time with you on initial and post-op visits answering all questions and invites you to email if you have additional questions and will give you a prompt reply. He is aware of all that is involved in your particular situation. He is passionate about what he does and very learned and professional. He and his staff are very personable, and his staff is genuinely helpful.
in Quincy Ma |
Dr. Mowschenson performed two surgeries on me this past summer. A parathyroidectomy and an Umbilical Hernia Repair. He was very professional and available for questions afterwards. There was minimal discomfort and scarring. I would look no further beyond Dr. Mowschenson for surgery. He is the best there is.
in Tyngsboro, MA |
I contacted Dr. Mowschenson via email upon receiving lab results indicating hyperparathyroidism. He responded quickly and was informative during several email exchanges -- I hadn't even made an appointment yet! Post surgery he continued to be easily accessible and checked in several times over the first week. I find him to be direct, informative, efficient, skilled, and kind. His staff, Andrea & Joanne, were also extremely helpful.
Medfield, MA |
Absolutely fabulous! I have never met a physician with the level of access and responsiveness to his patients.
in peabody ma |
Dr Mowschenson was extremely caring and performed excellent work. He researched my extremely rare condition which was unrelated to my surgery in order to determine if my condition would be affected by or affect my surgery. He has a great sensor of humor. I felt very comfortable and at ease with him. His responses to my email questions were more than prompt. (Does he sleep? My first email was sent in the early am, his response was posted a few brief hours later)
Norton, MA |
DR. PETER MOWSCHENSON .... KNOWS HIS STUFF !!!!! FELT COMFORTABLE AROUND HIM & HIS STAFF ... EVEN THOUGH I WAS HAVING SURGERY IN A FEW WEEKS FROM HIS 1ST. APPOINTMENT WITH ME I DID NOT WORRY AT ALL ..... I HAVE BEEN FEELING SO MUCH BETTER SINCE MY PARATHYROID HAS BEEN REMOVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SCARING & HEALING UP IN A TIMELY MANNER .... THANK YOU AGAIN DR. MOWSCHENSON FOR FIXING ME NOTHING LIKE HAVING LOTS OF ENERGY AGAIN & NOT FEELING SO DEPRESSED
Carlisle, MA |
Dr. Mowschensen performed parathyroid surgery on me. Office visit was arranged in very timely manner. He had already examined my patient record, scans etc. before the visit, so could advise me in terms specific to my case about the surgery. Very straightforward, enagaging manner. Talked about risks and outcomes. Gave us materials to read as well as pointed us to his very informative web site. Surgery and recovery went almost precisely as he had outlined.
Concord, MA |
Businesslike, not chatty, but pleasant and, in my experience (parathyroid surgery), very competent: very little pain and almost no scar.
Mansfield, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Peter Mowschenson by my primary care doctor. Dr. Mowschenson could not have been more punctual, professional, and kind. I felt welcomed and comfortable, and he put my mind at ease explaining everything to me in a clear an understandable way. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Stoneham, MA |
From the first telephone contact with his office to the consultation appointment to the actually surgery, I couldn't have been more comfortable and satisfied.. His office staff was the epitome of welcoming and accommodating. During the consultation appointment, Dr Mowschenson was already fully familiar with my case and provided detailed information and completely answered any questions I had. The surgery and recovery all went smoothly, no doubt due to Dr. Mowschenson's experience and expertise.
in Acton, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson is excellent, I highly recommend him with out reservation! He is warm, professional, and good natured, and a stellar physician. I do not think you can find a better specialist elsewhere in the USA to treat parathyroid and thyroid conditions.
in Plymouth, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson knows what he is doing. He is to the point and gets the job done. If you want an experienced doctor who can get the job done well this is your man. No fluff
in Weston, MA |
I had an excellent experience. His thorough and extremely kind. My hernia surgery went off without a hitch and I recovered very well. My situation was a bit complex because I take warfarin. He was able to perform the surgery while leaving me on the blood thinner and that greatly reduced my risk
Chelmsford, MA |
Dr. Mowschenson successfully removed the left node of my thyroid. I would recommend him to others as he is a very good surgeon and one who also listens to concerns. I expressed my concerns to him about scarring, surgical risks, and his experience level and did some research. Most of the people I spoke with admitted they would choose him as a surgeon for themselves or family members. My incision is barely noticeable which I am thankful, since I typically get raised scars.
in Boston, MA |
He is experienced and one of the best
in Boston, MA |
I'm particularly grateful that Dr Mowschensen called my dad in Nigeria after my surgery to let him know how things went. That was a major source of anxiety for me and he was able to help me solve that.
Salem, MA |
I can't speak highly enough of Dr.Mowschenson! He put me at ease with his expertise during a scary time. My surgery was quick, efficient and recovery was a breeze. He took the time to explain my pathology report, and answer any questions I had. My scar is barely noticeable after 4weeks... everyone keeps complimenting on how great it looks. I highly recommend this surgeon. Thank you Dr.Mowschenson!
in Arlington, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Mowschenson for a thyroidectomy four years ago. He was thorough, professional, answered all my questions in his no-nonsense, matter-of-fact, straightforward way and performed the surgery admirably. I recently had to have surgery for a cancerous lymph node, and I naturally went back to him, with similarly impressive results. I hope I don't have to go back for more surgery ever, but if I do need more surgery in his area of expertise, I will certainly go back to him.
in Lowell, MA |
I was diagnosed with Stage 3 colorectal cancer. My colonoscopy provider recommended me to Dr M. At our first meeting, he was very straightforward, and advised me that if I could not lose a significant amount of weight, that he would be unable to help me. We set a plan,and I did lose the required weight. We proceeded according to his plan, which was chemo and radiation, then surgery. Here I am 5 years later to tell you he is a terrific surgeon and I have seen him save others I have sent to him.
Randolph, MA |
I saw Dr. Mowschenson for consultation of Thyroid surgery related to Thyroid cancer. Surgery was scheduled quickly without issue. This is an incredibly talented surgeon who took time to explain the procedure in detail and answered all my questions. I could not be more pleased with the outcome of the surgery, and I would highly recommend this Doctor to anyone considering partial or full Thyroidectomy.
in Burlington, MA |
I recently had surgery and chose Dr. Mowschenson as he was one of the surgeon's that was highly recommended. From the moment I met with Dr. Mowschenson and throughout the surgical process he made me feel completely comfortable and prepared. The surgery went very smoothly and my recovery was exceptional! I highly regard Dr. Mowschenson for the level of care and professionalism. I can't thank him enough.
in Boston , MA |
I was and still am totally happy with Dr Mowschenson's care. At my sickest in the hospital and now at yearly check ups he has always taken the time to answer all my questions. Highly recommended! What can I say other than I am so happy to live an active life.
Boston, MA |
Horrific-no bed side manner at all. Very argumentative about changing my medicine after surgery when the one he put me on made me sicker than sick for 2 straight months. Had to find completely new set of Drs to help straighten my body out-AFTER my thyroid was removed without ANY testing from him. I suffered daily the entire 2 months since he yanked out my thyroid, which I find out now, NEVER should have come out. Had he done a single test, he could have known this. I was given no options.
in Bridgewater, MA |
Over 15 years ago he saved my life. I was suffering from UC and he did a not well known Illioanal pull through. He was a wonderful doctor but more important he was a wonderful, kind, funny man.
Have you seen Peter Mowschenson, MB?
Are you Peter Mowschenson?

Visit Peter Mowschenson