Dr. Peter Ly, MD

Child & Adolescent PsychiatryMaleAge 42

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Dr. Peter Ly, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Houston, TX and has over 16 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University Of Texas Medical School At Houston in 2006. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Peter Ly, MD

Peter Ly, MD

2565 Bay Area Blvd Houston, TX 77058

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check Dr. Ly's experience treating your condition or procedure

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol or Substance Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Autism
  • Binge Eating Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Dementia or Depression Screening
  • Depression
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Nondependent Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychological Evaluation
  • Psychological Evaluations Prior to Bariatric Surgery
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder

Dr. Ly accepts

Dr. Ly accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

2.5316455696202533%
2.5316455696202533%

Dr. Ly

He changed my life!
His ability to assess my history and past experience with medications and patience in trying medications with me absolutely saved and changed my life. The key of course is cooperating with him through the process!! Trust him and be transparent and he will get it right he is AMAZING!!
Mary L. – Aug 16, 2022
Thank you Dr. Ly
Dr. Ly is a wonderful psychiatrist for children and adults. He is available by phone any time you have questions or need a medication adjustment. He has never made us wait over 24 hours to return a phone call. Dr. Ly is compassionate, kind, efficient and very knowledgeable. He always has time if you have questions. His staff are also very nice and accommodating. The office is new, clean and modern
Aug 12, 2022
Dismissive
I started seeing Dr. Ly simply out of convenience due to my children seeing him (it was easier to make appointments on same day). I think he is knowledgeable and am happy with the care my children receive. My issue is that for me, I feel he is incredibly dismissive and hard to talk to. I’m very timid, so it’s hard to speak up for myself. I can’t disagree without him brushing me off or just plain ignoring me. I’ve been on medications for 20+ years and have found what works well through the years via trial and error. I am frustrated that he keeps wanting to change things, and don’t feel he listens or takes my objections seriously because he is the doctor and what would I know? He makes me feel stupid despite the fact that I’m a very well educated professional in the medical field. I have done so much research over the years, but nothing I say is actually taken into consideration. I will most likely be returning to my old psychiatrist, but continue to take my children to Dr. Ly.
Aug 07, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Motivated by money- not people
Our family saw Dr. Ly for several years. At first, the care was great. But over time, I noticed he was billing the insurance for the most complex visit type, even though we barely spent 5 minutes with him for med checks. He does not like it when you disagree or ask why certain labs are necessary. He just ordered them and would not explain why they were needed. His office is a revolving door of patients- his volume is high, but I truly think he is more driven by his ego than anything else. Recommended his wife as a dermatologist for my teenager even though WE DIDN'T ASK for a recommendation. Office staff can be moody and dismissive, or extremely nice. We got tired of trying to guess.
May 07, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
At first I really liked him and I have been seeing him for almost 2 years. Now he’s decreasing my klonopin and I have been on one or the other benzodiazepines for 20 years. Now I’m having sleep issues and he won’t listen to me. Get out and exercise. Well I would doc if I could first not want to just stay in bed constantly and not leave my house. Get some exercise, geez!! That’s hard to make time for when you’re not DEEPLY DEPRESSED!! How about we stick to the basics and suggest I take a shower? I’ve been wearing these same pj’s for about a week I guess. I have never written a review before but I’m in despair and he’s not helping that’s for sure.
Jan 26, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Great, efficient doctor! He takes care of my two kids and their ADHD. Easy to schedule with his staff, doctor returns phone calls promptly, short wait times in his waiting room, and refills our medications with ease. I am a part of many mom groups in the Houston area and we all love him. Thank you Dr. Ly!
Dec 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
No, Dr. Ly does tests without explaining why they are needed and without explaining the results. I did not understand the results I received from the lab and when Dr. Ly could not explain them to me he said I am not going to discuss this with you again and if you bring it up again I will refuse to treat you and see you in my office again. We are done with this subject. This is his stance on all matters at every appointment I have had with this Dr. Neither his office staff, nor he answer phone calls during normal business hours. The office is very bad about returning phone calls and changing dates. These patients writing good reviews are either not in the office when I am there because his office is completely empty and I would love to see this Dr. Peter Ly too. He lets insurance decide what he will prescribe you. My insurance changed while seeing him and his entire treatment of me changed, including the type, dosage, and brands of medications he would prescribe for me.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Sep 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
We were referred to Dr. Peter Ly and are very happy with the results. He is the most patient and insightful doctor I've yet to meet. He is kind, listens to what you have to say as well as what you don't say. He is very knowledgeable, helps find the root of the problem, and helps tackle the problem without making anyone feel uncomfortable. I definitely recommend Dr. Ly!
D. Wynn – May 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Highly recommend Dr. Ly for those looking for a children’s psychiatrist! First visit to Dr. Ly went well. Staff was kind and courteous. Was greeted by Dr. Ly very promptly. Our session was not rushed and he thoroughly explained and answered all of our concerns.
Thanh F – May 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Dr.Peter Ly is very kind, very accomodating, and understand his patient needs and mental issues.He replied messages about my son. He is very considerate. And am so glad that my son recovered and doing very good now like his old self. Am so thankful to Dr.Ly. I hundred percent recommend Dr.Ly to anyone needs help about mental issues.
Mae – Oct 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
He is very proficient. My first visit with him what was about 25 mins. In that time he had addressed every issue that I was having at the time. He prescribed me medication to help me deal with my issues. Over the last 18 months speaking to him monthly, he has adjusted my medications to the point that I now feel great. That’s a far cry from how I was when I saw him for the first time. He is a very kind man. I highly recommend him.
Veronica Heun – Sep 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Dr Ly is one of my favorite doctors. Im not sure if he takes excellent notes or just has a great memory but he always seems to remember past conversations unrelated to the visit. My daughter and I both see him and he goes above and beyond to help make sure we have the right dosage, that I have documentation for accommodations at her school and values my opinion on any changes I would like to make giving me pros and cons before we decide. New patient wait times are long (industry standard) but existing patients are given priority and fit in quickly. Ive seen several doctors for my adhd and Dr. Ly is by far the best. Also his front office staff is the best!!! When I lost my health insurance my out of pocket visit fee was extremely fair and he gives me coupons for scripts when he has them (he doesnt take medicaid). Highly recommend!!!
Tiffany Daughtry – Sep 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
I am very comfortable with speaking with Dr. Ly about my mental health needs and I never feel pressured or embarrassed about it. He listens to my feedback about how medications are working for me and makes adjustments accordingly and promptly so I can start my medication regiment immediately. He encourages me to reach out to him whenever I need him. He takes good notes to know how medication has treated me. He's a great physician and I would definitely recommend him for any mental health treatment!
Julie – Apr 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
He is always available at times of need. He is attentive, patient and professional.
Apr 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
helped me and my son tremendously.very corgal and caring.
rodney richard – Mar 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
I really don't understand the positive reviews. I understand some people ARE looking for a doctor that will just spend 2-5 minutes with them so they can get/continue their medication and move on, but some of us aren't. Some of us want someone with good bedside manner, who can give more time so they can listen to our concerns, so necessary topics can be discussed so they aren't prescribing something that may exacerbate another issue you have. I have felt small each time I've seen/talked to Dr. Ly. You are absolutely just a number to him in his care.
Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Dr Ly is the only psychiatrist that has been genuinely concerned about how I’m doing. Every time I need to speak to him about my medication, he calls me back within a few hours to resolve whatever is going on at the time. I’ve been to many doctors who made me feel rushed and like I didn’t matter, but Dr Ly is not at all like that. If anyone is currently struggling with their doctor, I highly recommend giving him a shot. I promise you will not regret it!
Feb 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Wonderful and encouraging psychiatrist. The best one I’ve been able to fine in the clear lake area as well!
Marina – Jan 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Dr. Ly is very professional and understanding. I'm very happy to have found Dr Ly and I highly recommend his services. Great staff, too!!!
Charles M – Nov 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?
Dr. Ly is trustworthy and understanding. He really takes time to get to know the patient and makes them feel comfortable . I highly recommend Dr. Ly!!!!!!!!!
Nov 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Ly, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ly?