Dr. Peter Chang, MD

Ophthalmology •  Male • Age 37

Dr. Chang

1440 Main St Waltham, MA 02451

Dr. Peter Chang, MD is a Ophthalmology Specialist in Waltham, MA. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - Needham and Massachusetts General Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chang to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Ophthalmology Specialists in your area

See similar Ophthalmology Specialists in Waltham

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 100 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Chang accepts

Dr. Chang accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Fallon Community Health Plan
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care PPO
Martin's Point
Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission (GIC)
Medicaid of Massachusetts
Medicare
Neighborhood Health Plan (NHP)
Tricare
Tufts Health Plan
Tufts Health Plans
UniCare
Veterans Choice Program

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Check Dr. Chang's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Chang's Top Procedures and Conditions

Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)

Dr. Chang treats Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis) more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Chang treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Sarcoidosis

Dr. Chang treats Sarcoidosis more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Chang treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Neurosarcoidosis

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Crohn's Disease
  • Cytomegaloviral Retinitis
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Macular Hole
  • Macular Pucker
  • Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
  • Multifocal Choroiditis
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Ocular Cicatricial Pemphigoid
  • Ocular Hypertension
  • Opportunistic Infections Related to HIV
  • Optic Neuritis
  • Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
  • Photophobia
  • Pigmentary Retinopathy
  • Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
  • Posterior Vitreous Detachment
  • Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Psoriasis
  • Punctate Inner Choroidopathy
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Retinal Artery Occlusion
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Pigment Epithelium (RPE) Detachment
  • Retinal Testing
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Dr. Chang's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chang

Dr. Chang?
Dr. Chang: Excellent professional and like a person A+ . Thanks!
Rafael Mendoza – Apr 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Dr Chang has a great easy-to-talk-to style. He explained what I had in layman’s terms, and what options there were for correcting the issues in a way that made the whole process/surgeries much less stressful.
Karin – Jan 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
I am very fortunate to have been referred to Dr. Chang! Being diagnosed with an Epiretinal Membrane, I didn't know what to expect. Dr. Chang took the time to explain everything very clearly so that I understood what surgery would involve. After meeting with him, my anxiety was gone, and the surgery was a success. Since then I have also had two cataract surgeries. Now, my eyesight is incredible!!! Dr. Chang is kind and compassionate with excellent communication skills. He is knowledgeable, has great technical skills, and a calming demeanor that is amazing!!! I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs a retinal specialist!!! Thank you Dr. Chang!
Mary Angelovich – Jan 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
I am very grateful to have been referred to Dr. Peter Chang and MERSI. I had been treated for eye inflammation by four different retina specialists, none of whom was able to determine the cause of my problem. My last doctor suggested I visit Dr. Foster’s Waltham office and arranged for an appointment with Dr. Chang. Dr. Chang’s expertise and the sophisticated equipment at MERSI finally led to a diagnosis-retinal vasculitis in both eyes. Dr. Chang recently performed cataract surgery on my left eye. His skillful procedure produced excellent results which far exceeded my expectations. My condition is challenging, but Dr. Chang is current with treatment options. He offers choices and listens to my input. He is confident and calming. I appreciate his open communication allowing me to email him directly with questions/concerns. Even with his busy schedule, he always finds time to quickly respond. He is a gifted physician and surgeon. I am most thankful being in his care.
Jean M. – Dec 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
After years of being referred to multiple uveitis specialists for chronic anterior uveitis and steroid induced glaucoma I found Dr. Peter Chang and Mersi. The level of patient care professionalism, knowledge and communication is unparalleled and is worth traveling any distance. Thank you Dr. Chang for saving my eyes and my life as it feels like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Steve – Nov 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Peter Chang, he is extremely knowledgeable in his field and his explanations are easy to understand. He is very professional and personable. He determined my immune system was "acting up" and was able to treat it, allowing me to receive the eye surgeries I was requiring with successful results.
Maryellen Ward – Sep 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Dr. Chang is the best doctor I've ever had! Definitely worth traveling to see him, even if you are not super close to his offices! I was diagnosed with recurring uveitis a few years before moving to the Boston area but it wasn't until I met Dr. Chang that I felt like I really understood the condition and was in the hands of someone who had a systematic strategy to do something about it. He took the time to make sure I understood the plan, which made me feel back in control and less terrified each time I had an episode. He's also the only doctor I've ever had who remembers who I am, beyond just my medical history. For example, he remembered I would be leaving Boston in the fall and made sure to recommend new doctors for me in NY. I feel so, so fortunate (and relieved) to have been able to see Dr. Chang for the past few years and to make progress on figuring out what’s wrong with my eye. Thanks for everything, Dr. Chang!
none – Jul 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
He is a kind, thoughtful, caring and competent doctor. He listens carefully and responds with understanding and compassion. He exhibits a gentle sense of humor and genuinely cares about his patients and their concerns. A consummate professional with great technical skills.
  • Long wait times
bill poznik in hudson, MA – Jun 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
It was wonderful to walk on Monday and see the many shades of green on the trees, lawns and all the beautiful blooming flowers. No more clouds in my eye; I cannot tell you how thankful and grateful I am to you for giving me back normal sight. I didn't have any pain after the surgery and did as instructed. Thank you for the great care and concern you take with your patients. What a great surgeon you are and what a wonderful experience at MEE; great all the way around.
Debbie in MA – Jun 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Never had a doctor spent more time helping me understand my condition or educate me on potential treatments than Dr. Chang. He is always thorough in his exams and always offering me time to ask questions. His staff is extremely friendly and helpful as well. If I could have rated Dr. Chang and his staff higher than 5 stars, I certainly would! I highly recommend him!
May 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Peter Chang now for about 2 years. He is the first doctor to accurately diagnose and treat my retinal condition. I saw others who told me nothing could be done as my vision deteriorated. After the very first visit I knew I finally had the right one. He does an outstanding job of explaining the condition/problem, the treatment options, and the timeframe to complete. He is incredibly personable taking any time needed to allow me to ask questions to fully understand how he is proceeding. I have never been to a doctor that is so compassionate and understanding as him. He is truly top notch! I’m so glad my optometrist referred me to him
May 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Dr. Chang is amazing! I would highly recommend him. He was extremely thorough in evaluating my condition and took the time to accurately communicate to me what it was and the steps/procedures needed to improve it. He helped relieve my anxiety and kept me calm and informed every step of the way. He always addressed my concerns and symptoms with the utmost care, competence and diligence. In my opinion, there is no one better!
May 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
There are not enough words to describe Dr. Peter Chang. He is an excellent ophthalmologist with superb bedside manners and compassion. I tell everyone how great he is. He saved my eye. From the first time I saw him I was so impressed and still am. I told my husband about him and he switched to him. That day he pulled his stool and sat down and explained my condition and my treatment options in an honest and clear way and allowed me time to process the information and ask questions. I consider myself very luck to have him for a Doctor . I highly recommend him to anyone who wants a superb eye doctor.
May 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Dr. Chang has been absolutely wonderful. I’ve been seeing him for a few years now and he has completely saved my vision, no exaggeration. I’ve had multiple surgeries done by him and without his hard work and dedication I wouldn’t be seeing as well as I am today. I wouldn’t ask for any other doctor. Thank you !!!!
May 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Dr Chang was very thorough, and took the time required to diagnose my vision issues. He's been very responsive with follow up care, and I especially appreciate his advocacy in working with other specialists and care providers when follow up tests and exams were required. He exceeded my expectations for level of attention.
Apr 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
My elderly father sees Dr Chang and I attend each visit. Dr Chang always takes time to fully explain issues to my dad. Each time I meet with Dr. Chang I am struck by how thoughtful, kind and well informed he is. His diagnostic skills are really amazing. When there are issues that are broader than the immediate condition at hand, Dr Chang capably considers and relates them to the diagnosis, and I feel confident that he has considered every possible interaction between the symptoms. He is also
Apr 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
I feel extremely fortunate to have been referred to Dr Chang. My positive result from recent retinal surgery was more than I could have hoped for. Thank you Dr Chang for your kindness, expertise and understanding.
Apr 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
Knowledge and a good heart all together makes doctor Peter Chang an excellent doctor.I am so glad i have him as my ophthalmologist.
Mar 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
If all doctors were like Dr Peter Chang, the world would be a better place. My son lost his vision from one day to the next, and thanks to the care of Dr Chang and 2 surgeries he has his vision back. Dr Chang is not only amazing at what he does but also has the most gentle reassuring side manners dealing with distressed patients and family members; he never made us feel rushed, explained and answered all questions, gave us his email address and cell number, just in case. Forever grateful.
Mar 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?
When I met Dr. Chang about 8 months ago he impressed me as being a very caring, intelligent and kind individual. Dr. Chang answers questions thoroughly and unhurriedly. His demeanor is calming and his therapeutic eye injections are surprisingly painless! Dr. Chang has skills and techniques that are unsurpassed! I feel so fortunate to have Dr. Chang on my Health Care Team treating me for a serious eye condition caused by Type 1 Diabetes. Dr. Chang ... you are a Blessing in my life !
Mar 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Chang, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chang?

Dr. Peter Chang was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan. He moved to the United States at age 13 and has come to call New England his second home. He received Bachelor of Science in Biology from Brown University in 2004 and Doctor of Medicine from Tufts University School of Medicine in 2008. After medical school, Dr. Chang pursued a 2-year Clinical Research Fellowship in Uveitis and Ocular Immunology with Dr. Foster, and he served as the Chief Research Fellow from 2009 to 2010. The MERSI training helped solidify his interest in complex ocular conditions and systemic rheumatic disorders. Upon completing medical internship at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA, Dr. Chang moved to Manhattan and underwent residency training in Ophthalmology at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai. During his senior year, he held responsibilities as the Administrative Chief Resident. Dr. Chang then completed fellowship training in Vitreoretinal Surgery at the Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary in Chicago, where he was named Fellow of the Year. In fall of 2016, Dr. Chang returned to Boston and joined MERSI as a Partner.

Dr. Chang specializes in ocular inflammatory disease and vitreoretinal surgery. Conditions he treat include uveitis, scleritis, retinal detachment, macular hole and pucker, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and retinal vascular diseases. Outside of work, Dr. Chang enjoys playing the piano, biking, cooking, and traveling with his family. He is fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
Less...