Dr. Peter Callander, MD

Dr. Callander
Telehealth services available

California Pacific Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine

3838 California St San Francisco, CA 94118

Dr. Peter Callander, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in San Francisco, CA and has over 27 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Saint Louis University School of Medicine medical school in 1995. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as California Pacific Medical Center Mission Bernal and Novato Community Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Callander to book an appointment.

Compare Dr. Peter Callander, MD with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists near you

Dr. Callander's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Callander

Dr. Callander

I saw Dr. Callander as my right knee that had been bothering me for years. After x-rays and an MRI, he confirmed I needed full knee replacement surgery. I was a healthy 61 year old male and could bike 30 miles and hike 5+ miles, but did so with pain. I scheduled the surgery 6 months out just so I wouldn't miss out on summer. The team beind Dr. Callander was amazing in regards to setting up my surgery, providing me information on what I was responsible for, and informing me of what to expect and where to be and when. The surgery took place at the Presidio Surgery Center. Fantastic place. It was "out patient" surgery, but being that my surgery was 2:00 in the afternoon I was able to stay over night, sleep, and get up the next day and leave before 24 hours. The surgery went very well. The recovery is a process. Expect crutches for the first 2 weeks. Then maybe 1 crutch or a cane. It's been less than THREE MONTHS and I just did a 4 1/2 mile hike over the weekend with NO PAIN!
Denis L – Jan 07, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I could not be more please with the care, and outcome, of my hip replacement. Dr. Callander provided a clear explanation of the issues and treatment options. I had out patient hip replacement, walking on a crutch for three weeks, and now walking 3-miles a day pain free. I had forgot what walking pain-free felt like!
Jim H – Jan 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I am one year out from having my hip replaced by Dr. Callander. He is, by far, one of the best, most empathic and skilled doctors I have ever met or been treated by (and unfortunately I have had some serious health issues requiring medical expertise). Dr. Callander is completely dedicated to his patients and he obviously loves his work. My anterior hip replacement was PERFECT- easy recovery, no pain, strain or outstanding issues and I am extremely active in hiking, swimming, skiing. I am extraordinarily grateful to have found Dr. Callander! Do not hesitate to see him- just go for a consultation if you are uncertain about whether you need a joint replacement- he will offer expert advice.
DrLin – Nov 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
Anterior Total Hip Surgery - Amazing Results I recently had an Anterior Left Hip Replacement, with Dr. Peter W. Callander as my surgeon, through California Pacific Orthopaedics in San Francisco. I highly recommend Dr. Peter W. Callander for this surgery. He is very understanding and easy to talk with, and listened to all of my concerns. Appointments were easy to schedule in a well organized office. His staff is friendly and very thorough. All you have to do is show up. After surgery, I was up and walking the hospital floor the night of the surgery, and went home using a cane and walker only when necessary. Within 10 days from surgery, I was walking 1 mile just using a cane. Within two weeks, I was walking up and down stairs, and was able to resumed my pilates instruction.
Jeannie Wilson – Jun 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I had knee replacement with Dr Callander seven weeks ago. I can walk without pain and without a cane, and have been feeling great since week 4. The procedure does not involve a pin in your leg. He uses a custom knee replacement and it works great. The pain was manageable, the recovery smooth, and I am so grateful to be able to walk without pain for the first time in years. Highly recommend. Also, the Novato Hospital was excellent - staff, cleanliness, covid protocol, food was great as well. An excellent experience!!!
melissa m lyckberg – Sep 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
My mom suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and was in desperate need of a total knee replacement. She was in so much pain and couldn't walk prior to her surgery. Her joint was totally obliterated from her RA. She was adamant about finding a doctor that would be willing to do it under a minimal invasive approach. I wasn't convinced that it was possible until we met Dr. Peter Callander. My mom had a stellar experience with him. From his bedside manner, kindness, and skillful surgical technique, Dr. Callander is truly the best there is. My mom was up and walking a few hours post surgery. Within one week she was 100% recovered, walking without a walker or cain, going up flights of stairs, not needing any pain meds. I'm not sure how Dr. Callander does it but it's true- a minimal invasive approach for a total knee replacement. Now my mom's friends and family from all over the country are making appointments to see him. He is the best. If you need a new knee wth minimal down time and pain, Dr.
Niki F. – Sep 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I wanted to show my gratitude to Dr. Peter Callander for the incredible work that he did on my hip. I had seen many doctors during my three-year journey and Dr. Callander was the first caregiver who immediately recognized the problem and said that I absolutely needed a new hip. Dr. Callander and his team managed to accommodate my surgery in the midst of the epidemic and that was not at all easy. Dr. Callander is a talented and honest surgeon. My hip is perfectly aligned and i will never have a limp. My recovery was very fast and I felt fully supported every step of the way. Thank you Dr. Callander. I feel like I got my life back. Also special thank you to Medical Assistant Irma and Surgery Scheduling Supervisor Christine!
Franklin F Preston (Gus) – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I am 81 years old and recently had my hip replaced by Dr. Callander. It is now not quite three weeks later and I am walking without aid or pain. I had an excellent experience in the offices and the hospital. Dr. Callander and his staff are friendly and professional. They are always available to answer questions and the material they gave me to prepare for the surgery was most helpful. I used pain medication for only two days. I would highly recommend Dr. Callander for an anterior hip replacement.
May 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I have recommended Dr. Callander to countless friends who he has treated successfully including hip surgery on myself. Fantastic doctor and surgeon!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Robert Sullivan – Jan 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I had a Birmingham hip resurfacing procedure nearly 3-years ago.
Michael Richter – Sep 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
Had both knees replaced, separated by years, both custom fit by Dr. Callander using Smith and Nephew device. Now I have a perfect matched set, surgery went flawless, surgeon takes pride in his work even closes himself with minimal scar, 140 degree range of motion and leg straightened and achieved flat 0 degree which is unheard of results. Dr. Callendar is by far the best surgeon as I have seen the results of all my softball buddies, none compare to my terrific surgeon.
Apr 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
The best! All the way around: the best!
Mar 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
Dr. Callander is amazing. He has performed two hip surgeries and one knee surgery on me with great results. My recovery from the knee surgery seems so much faster than so many of my friends. Nurses and PT’s remark on the successful results. His office staff are great (especially now with the new x-ray technician!). His warm, professional, caring manner makes such a difference. . . he takes the time to really listen! He is the best!
Charlotte Kells in CA – Feb 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
Dr. Callander is an excellent surgeon. I would highly recommend him for knee joint surgery. He’s very upbeat and makes you feel at ease that all will go well. Everyone involved in my surgery, recovery, physical therapy all praise how well all of Dr. Callander’s patients do. I waited over three years before deciding on knee replacement surgery for my arthritic, bone on bone knee, and I’m so happy I finally found the right surgeon to do the surgery.
Jennie Nichols in Novato, CA – May 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I give Dr. Callander and his staff my highest recommendation. Less than one month ago, I was in great pain and had difficulty walking. Dr. Callander performed a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing procedure and today I walking painfree. I am so grateful for this medical miracle. Thank you, Dr. Callander...you are the best!
Richard Wantuck in Santa Rosa, CA – Jun 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
I am grateful every day for Dr. Callander's superb double hip replacement surgeries in August, 2015. I've stepped worlds away from two canes, chronic pain, and having to stop multiple times walking to the mailbox and back. I'm back to vigorous hiking several miles at a time, kayaking, yard work, and living without pain. There could have been no better outcome. Dr. Callander exudes warmth, confidence, sensitivity and expertise I didn't find elsewhere. I offer my highest recommendation.
Jim Rice in Fairfax, CA – Dec 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?
Dr. Callander performed not one but two Birmingham Hip Resurfacing procedures on me. After 10 years of increasing pain the results are tremendous. 18 months after the surgeries I feel like I'm 30 not 60. Dr. Callander prepared me for the surgery, healing and recovery. His personal, professional manner made the journey a pleasure. For me he was a true lifesaver.
Barry M George in San Francisco, CA – Dec 17, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Peter Callander, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Callander?
Provider explaining information to patient